Author Topic: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings  (Read 292179 times)

Offline SoundscapeMN

Re: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings
« Reply #2940 on: August 27, 2020, 10:44:42 AM »
I am not yet, but I just noticed Charlie Kaufman wrote a novel titled "Antkind" that was published and released in July.

There are a lot of reviews that either love it or hate it, but I'm hardly surprised by that given his history.

1 though compared it to being kind of a Hitchiker's Guide for the Twitter generation.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2941 on: August 27, 2020, 12:53:16 PM »
How the Bible Actually Works by Peter Enns
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2942 on: August 27, 2020, 05:18:23 PM »
Jade War was a bust unfortunately. Couldn't get into it. Going to switch to biography, and read Bruce Lee: A Life by Matthew Polly

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2943 on: August 30, 2020, 05:26:51 AM »
Dead Famous: An Unexpected History of Celebrity from the Bronze Age to the Silver Screen by Greg Jenner

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2944 on: August 30, 2020, 06:26:35 AM »
The Baron of Magister Valley -- Steven Brust (one of my all-time favorite authors)
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2945 on: August 31, 2020, 01:16:24 PM »
After many years I finally stopped being lazy and downloaded Audible. I always put it off because I have enough podcasts on Spotify, and enough music, to listen to. But since the act of reading a physical book just makes me sleepy, and restless because I must multitask, this is awesome.

With that said, Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2946 on: August 31, 2020, 07:51:41 PM »
Here's my August wrap up. I'm at 120 books for the year so far

August (15)
The Umbrella Academy: The Apocalypse Suite by Gerard Way 8/1 **
The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson 7/30 - 8/3 ***
An Impersonal History of the Hugos by Jo Walton 8/3 - 8/6 ****
The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula K. Le Guin 8/6 *****
Jade City by Fonda Lee 8/7 - 8/11 ****
Turn Coat by Jim Butcher 8/12 - 8/13 ****
Scott Pilgrim’s Precious Little Life by Bryan Lee O’Malley 8/13 *****
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World by Bryan Lee O’Malley 8/13 *****
Caliban's War by James S.A. Corey 8/13 - 8/17 ****
The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary by Simon Winchester 8/17 ***
Changes by Jim Butcher 8/20 - 8/21 ****
Side Jobs by Jim Butcher 8/22 ****
Ghost Story by Jim Butcher 8/22 - 8/25 ****
Bruce Lee: A Life by Matthew Polly 8/27 - 8/30 ***
Dead Famous: An Unexpected History of Celebrity from Bronze Age to Silver Screen by Greg Jenner 8/30 - 8/31 ***

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2947 on: September 01, 2020, 05:32:59 AM »
Getting back to Dresden, with Cold Days by Jim Butcher

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2948 on: September 01, 2020, 10:46:18 AM »
All the Birds in the Sky by Charlie Jane Anders

You were right masterthes, this was delightful. I had trouble putting the book down. Somewhat weird and random in places, yet endearing in a good way. Additionally, the short bits of talking to cats were loads of fun, like this little one:

"Birds taste good," Berkley observed, bouncing on his front paws a little. "They flap around and try to fly out of your paws. They are like toys with meat inside."

Man, I liked this book a lot. Went to check Goodreads and there are plenty of scathing one-star reviews calling the book inane and boring. What the hell? Whatever, I really liked it. :lol

Either doing Cryptonomicon or Anathem by Neal Stephenson next, haven't decided yet.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2949 on: September 01, 2020, 10:47:32 AM »
Here's my August wrap up. I'm at 120 books for the year so far

August (15)
The Umbrella Academy: The Apocalypse Suite by Gerard Way 8/1 **
The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson 7/30 - 8/3 ***
An Impersonal History of the Hugos by Jo Walton 8/3 - 8/6 ****
The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula K. Le Guin 8/6 *****
Jade City by Fonda Lee 8/7 - 8/11 ****
Turn Coat by Jim Butcher 8/12 - 8/13 ****
Scott Pilgrim’s Precious Little Life by Bryan Lee O’Malley 8/13 *****
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World by Bryan Lee O’Malley 8/13 *****
Caliban's War by James S.A. Corey 8/13 - 8/17 ****
The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary by Simon Winchester 8/17 ***
Changes by Jim Butcher 8/20 - 8/21 ****
Side Jobs by Jim Butcher 8/22 ****
Ghost Story by Jim Butcher 8/22 - 8/25 ****
Bruce Lee: A Life by Matthew Polly 8/27 - 8/30 ***
Dead Famous: An Unexpected History of Celebrity from Bronze Age to Silver Screen by Greg Jenner 8/30 - 8/31 ***
Maybe you've already covered this, but how in the exact fuck are you doing this?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2950 on: September 01, 2020, 11:47:23 AM »
I work in the school system, so a. I've been out of work since March and b. I'm an aide, which means I don't teach. All I've been doing has been reading (except for also watching stuff on Netflix and such) and c. I'm a pretty fast reader. If I like a book well enough, I can probably read at least 200 pages a day

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2951 on: September 02, 2020, 08:32:20 AM »
Permanently Suspended: The Rise and Fall... and Rise Again of Radio's Most Notorious Shock Jock by Anthony Cumia
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2952 on: September 02, 2020, 10:11:58 AM »
Just realized I had this book on my to-read shelf and it's fairly short, so before diving into Stephenson's work, I'm going with

Angelfall by Susan Ee

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2953 on: September 03, 2020, 06:00:59 AM »
Skin Game by Jim Butcher. Can't believe I'm almost caught up

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #2954 on: September 04, 2020, 06:52:29 AM »
Just read Red Dwarf (books 1+2) By Rob Grant & Doug Naylor. Didn't know what to expect going in but I really enjoyed it. At first I was a little disappointed that the first section of the book was pretty much a straight forward retelling of some of the episodes with some extra details of course. After that it really opens up and does it's own thing. It re-imagines a lot of ideas from the show and shuffles the order around to really be something different but with things fans would recognize from the show. The expanded Better than Life part of the book could've been a stand alone comedy horror novel.

Highly recommended for fans of the show and if you've never seen the show you won't be lost.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2955 on: September 04, 2020, 07:25:08 AM »
Skin Game was great. Third favorite Dresden book so far. Now reading, Brief Cases by Jim Butcher

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2956 on: September 04, 2020, 08:16:34 AM »
Skin Game was great. Third favorite Dresden book so far. Now reading, Brief Cases by Jim Butcher

Skin Game is a personal favorite of mine. I like the grand heist theme and how Dresden has learned to think ahead and use his connections to rig the game in his favor (much like he did in Turn Coat). Very wizard like behavior. Butcher has done a good job of having Dresden evolve through the series. He still has his reactionary moments (hey, he's still Harry) but it's fun having him succeed with subtlety instead of just brute strength and dumb luck.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2957 on: September 04, 2020, 08:19:03 AM »
Skin Game was fantastic. I think Jim was on top of his game with Cold Days and Skin Game.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2958 on: September 05, 2020, 05:04:07 PM »
Oh, I agree. Cold Days might be my 5th favorite Dresden, certainly my favorite in the "Fae" centric books

The stories in Brief Cases were way better than Side Jobs, especially the last story. Going to take a bit of a break from Dresden so I can read Peace Talks and Battle Ground pretty much back to back. Moving on to The Memory of Souls by Jenn Lyons, the next book in The Chorus of Dragons series

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2959 on: September 05, 2020, 05:11:17 PM »
I read a lot
Maybe you've already covered this, but how in the exact fuck are you doing this?

:lol I think I have asked several times this thread be renamed akin to: The Currently Reading Thread v. masterthes the legend.

I am envious that he 1) has ample time to read and 2) can read as quickly as he does. I am a slow reader and it can take me weeks to finish a book of moderate length.

On recent topic, I want to read one of these Dresden books but they are perpetually checked out of my library.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2960 on: September 05, 2020, 05:32:44 PM »
I'll be going back to work on Friday, so my reading output will slow down a bit (I won't have the morning hours to read on the weekdays)

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2961 on: September 05, 2020, 07:45:01 PM »
I read a lot

:lol I think I have asked several times this thread be renamed akin to: The Currently Reading Thread v. masterthes the legend.

I am envious that he 1) has ample time to read and 2) can read as quickly as he does. I am a slow reader and it can take me weeks to finish a book of moderate length.

On recent topic, I want to read one of these Dresden books but they are perpetually checked out of my library.

Just go drop $10 on a mass paperback copy. They're definitely worth the investment

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2962 on: September 06, 2020, 01:49:58 AM »
The first two books are a little rough though, maybe keep that in mind. I had friends giving up after Storm Front. The series get loads better after the first two books though. I was in love with the whole thing after Summer Knight.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2963 on: September 07, 2020, 11:55:28 AM »
Critical Role: Vox Machina Origins Volume II by Jody Houser

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2964 on: September 07, 2020, 12:02:55 PM »
Critical Role: Vox Machina Origins Volume II by Jody Houser

Man I'm envious once again. Can't quite afford to order these books. I'm sure it'll be great though.

Angelfall by Susan Ee

Okay finished this one and ehhhh. I don't think I've read a good YA fantasy book since Six of Crows, I'm taking recommendations if you guys have anything.

Anathem by Neal Stephenson

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2965 on: September 07, 2020, 01:56:30 PM »
Have you read Laini Taylor's Strange the Dreamer, and the sequel Muse of Nightmares? The teen romance-y bits are a bit much near the end of the first one and the beginning of the second, but the books are so good otherwise it's pretty easy to just skim those and get back to the good stuff.

I've also been rereading Jonathan Stroud's Bartimaeus books, which I used to love checking out from the library when I was a young ninja, and I'm still really enjoying them.

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2966 on: September 07, 2020, 02:14:32 PM »
I'm surprised Butcher hasn't written a pre-quel book telling the story of his tutelage under Justin DuMorne. Just a thought

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2967 on: September 07, 2020, 10:13:19 PM »
Have you read Laini Taylor's Strange the Dreamer, and the sequel Muse of Nightmares? The teen romance-y bits are a bit much near the end of the first one and the beginning of the second, but the books are so good otherwise it's pretty easy to just skim those and get back to the good stuff.

I've also been rereading Jonathan Stroud's Bartimaeus books, which I used to love checking out from the library when I was a young ninja, and I'm still really enjoying them.

I haven't. Will try to look into them at some point.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2968 on: September 08, 2020, 07:46:11 AM »
I'm surprised Butcher hasn't written a pre-quel book telling the story of his tutelage under Justin DuMorne. Just a thought

I think he's done a decent job over the years of revealing that story through flashbacks and relating the lessons he learned because of it.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2969 on: September 08, 2020, 08:05:49 AM »
Anyway, I had to DNF Memory of Souls, which was disappointing because I really enjoyed the first book, but some of the stuff got too complicated for my taste, so instead I'm going to be reading Empire of Silence by Christopher Ruocchio

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2970 on: September 08, 2020, 08:14:57 AM »
Shakespeare for Squirrels by Christopher Moore

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2971 on: September 08, 2020, 09:08:30 AM »
Anyway, I had to DNF Memory of Souls, which was disappointing because I really enjoyed the first book, but some of the stuff got too complicated for my taste, so instead I'm going to be reading Empire of Silence by Christopher Ruocchio

I DNFed The Name of All Things :lol I may try it again when I get a chance to get a physical copy, but maybe I won't bother.

Man, Anathem isn't an easy read at all.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2972 on: September 11, 2020, 06:37:39 AM »
Disloyal: A Memoir -- Michael Cohen

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2973 on: September 11, 2020, 07:53:53 AM »
La Tour Sombre 5: Les Loups de la Calla by Stephen King. Will certainly be breaking this up into sections so I can thread in some english novels along the way. French W&G was such a grind it almost wasn't worth the effort.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2974 on: September 11, 2020, 11:28:53 AM »
Marvel Comics: The Untold Story by Sean Howe