Author Topic: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings  (Read 289978 times)

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
Re: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings
« Reply #2800 on: May 08, 2020, 08:06:08 PM »
The Golden Fool by Robin Hobb. Just finished The Last Continent by Terry Pratchett. Good book, but aren't they all?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2801 on: May 08, 2020, 08:09:12 PM »
The Golden Fool by Robin Hobb.

She has been on my shortlist for a while but most of her books are always checked out at the online library. I know the stories come in blocks what does one have to start at the very beginning? Are they all interconnected?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2802 on: May 08, 2020, 09:35:58 PM »
afaik you should probably start with the farseer trilogy, and only then the tawny man trilogy as it happens many years later. and i think then the fitz and the fool trilogy. she's got other series but i don't know how they're related other than being set in the same world.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2803 on: May 08, 2020, 10:43:13 PM »
The Golden Fool by Robin Hobb. Just finished The Last Continent by Terry Pratchett. Good book, but aren't they all?
Meh. Pyramids wasn't all that great. Neither was Moving Pictures.

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #2804 on: May 09, 2020, 07:36:23 AM »
The Golden Fool by Robin Hobb.

I'd start at the beginning. Assassin's apprentice.

She has been on my shortlist for a while but most of her books are always checked out at the online library. I know the stories come in blocks what does one have to start at the very beginning? Are they all interconnected?

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2805 on: May 11, 2020, 07:46:54 AM »
White Night by Jim Butcher

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2806 on: May 11, 2020, 07:56:37 AM »
Return of the King - J.R.R. Tolkien
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2807 on: May 13, 2020, 01:04:36 PM »
Rise and Fall of the '80's Toon Empire by Jason Waquespack, Ph.D

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2808 on: May 15, 2020, 10:57:49 AM »
Giving The Unlikely Escape of Uriah Heep by H.G. Parry a try, which seems like it could be like an adult version of Inkheart

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #2809 on: May 15, 2020, 12:17:32 PM »
Giving The Unlikely Escape of Uriah Heep by H.G. Parry a try, which seems like it could be like an adult version of Inkheart

Ooh, Inkhart is one of my favorites in the children's category, report if TUEoUH is any good.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2810 on: May 16, 2020, 11:07:05 AM »
Since my last update, I've read Steven Erikson - Fall Of Light which was good but incredibly dense, even for Erikson. Fall of Light Steven Erikson makes regular Malazan Steven Erikson seem simple and digestible by comparison. Also read V.E. Schwab - A Darker Shade of Magic, which was really great, very exciting and fast-paced, I finished it in two days when I normally average about a week for most books. Started on Terry Pratchett - Guards! Guards! which is my first full novel by Pratchett, and I'm enjoying it immensely. I started it last night and I'll probably end up finishing it sometime tonight.

I've also started James Islington - The Shadow of What Was Lost which a lot of people seem to think is great. It's all right so far, but I haven't really been feeling it much, so I've been reading it here and there between other things.

I also an independent bookstore near me that was doing online orders, so I figured I would use some of my stimulus boondollars there and consequently my pile of books on the floor (which is where books go until you read them and they are allowed to be shelved, obviously) has not decreased at all.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2811 on: May 18, 2020, 09:05:53 PM »

Ooh, Inkhart is one of my favorites in the children's category, report if TUEoUH is any good.
It gets my seal of approval. The "magic system" used is an interesting concept, in that not only does a person bring out a character, but their literary interpretation of that character; for instance, the protagonist comes across five different Mr. Darcys. The climax gets a bit sappy, but it's a story of two brothers, so it's kind of expected.

Anyway, I may come to regret this in the long run, but I'm about to learn more about Spider-Man than any sane person would want to attempt with Spider-Man Chronicle: A Year by Year Visual History by Alan Cowsill

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2812 on: May 20, 2020, 12:39:44 PM »
Avengers Epic Collection Vol. 1: Earth's Mightiest Heroes by Stan Lee

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2813 on: May 22, 2020, 09:19:53 AM »
Marilyn Monroe: The Biography by Donald Spoto

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2814 on: May 26, 2020, 03:28:15 PM »
The Shadow of the Wind -- Carlos Ruiz Zafón
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #2815 on: May 26, 2020, 03:56:36 PM »
The Hangman's Daughter by Oliver Potzsch.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2816 on: May 26, 2020, 04:25:00 PM »
Started Malice by John Gwynne. Not sure I am ready to dive in to a complex fantasy novel at this time. Check back with me in a week.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2817 on: May 26, 2020, 05:51:31 PM »
Started Malice by John Gwynne. Not sure I am ready to dive in to a complex fantasy novel at this time. Check back with me in a week.

I've read A Time of Dread (bought it in the airport to read on a plane last year) and honestly wasn't impressed. Felt like generic fantasy with predictable twists to me.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2818 on: May 26, 2020, 11:19:29 PM »
Lost Light by Michael Connelly. My first experience with Harry Bosch, courtesy of my mother in-law

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2819 on: May 27, 2020, 05:45:55 AM »
Back to fiction with Gone South by Robert R. McCammon. I'm a huge McCammon fan. With the exception of Baal, I have absolutely loved Boys Life, Swan Song, Wolf's Hour and Thus Speaks the Nightbird. I'm hoping to love this as well

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2820 on: May 27, 2020, 01:12:35 PM »
Ghost Story by Jim Butcher. Five chapters in and I don't know if I like the premise of the story.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2821 on: May 27, 2020, 01:43:39 PM »
Ghost Story by Jim Butcher. Five chapters in and I don't know if I like the premise of the story.

Probably my least favorite in the series

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2822 on: May 27, 2020, 01:48:44 PM »

Probably my least favorite in the series

Really? I thought Ghost Story was great fun and incredibly integral to the story going forward. It's one of my favorites because it was so different from the rest.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2823 on: May 27, 2020, 01:49:07 PM »
edit: ^ this

I'm going to offer my controversial opinion here, Ghost Story is one of the best Dresden books. It's very jarring on the first read, after all the action in Changes and the books before Changes, but it's really excellent, especially on the re-read of the whole series. It serves as sort of break between two parts of the whole saga, and I think it works brilliantly. It's a much needed break, a change of pace, and given the subject, I think it's fair for it to be absolutely different to the most of Dresden books.

Short version: I love Ghost Story
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2824 on: May 27, 2020, 01:56:26 PM »
Short version: I love Ghost Story

:hifive:

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2825 on: May 27, 2020, 02:07:05 PM »
As I said I'm five chapters in, too early to really judge the book, we'll see how it develops.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2826 on: May 28, 2020, 08:49:46 AM »
An American Tragedy by Theodore Dreiser

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #2827 on: May 28, 2020, 10:10:00 AM »
I've begun reading The Forth Turning by William Strauss and Neil Howe.  It's really interesting, but I'm not sure how accurate it really is.  Or how usefull it might be at predicting societal trends, but it is definately interesting.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2828 on: June 02, 2020, 10:44:18 AM »
The God Game by Danny Tobey

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2829 on: June 02, 2020, 10:48:48 AM »

So about 1/4 the way in. Not fully engrossed in the story but at the fail-safe point now and enjoying it enough. Deciding to trudge on.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2830 on: June 04, 2020, 01:25:39 PM »
Comic Book History of Comics: Birth of a Medium by Fred Van Lente

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2831 on: June 04, 2020, 07:27:25 PM »
Star Wars on Trial by David Brin and Matthew Woodring Stover

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2832 on: June 06, 2020, 06:46:39 PM »
Lately, I've been watching the original Star Trek on Netflix, so I thought I'd read Leonard by William Shatner

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2833 on: June 06, 2020, 06:50:07 PM »
I've recently tried to get back into reading. Used to read all the time when I was younger. I dove right into the deep end and pulled out my old copy of Nietzsche's Thus Spoke Zarathustra. I've always been interested in reading philosophy but I never finished this one, yet found it very interesting. I am also reading my old copy of A History of the American People by Paul Johnson.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2834 on: June 07, 2020, 07:15:09 PM »
Lost Tribe of the Sith by John Jackson Miller