Author Topic: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings  (Read 286474 times)

TheHoveringSojourn808 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings
« Reply #2555 on: November 08, 2019, 08:52:18 AM »
Re-reading the Sandman series of graphic novels.

Currently on A Game of You.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2556 on: November 08, 2019, 08:55:43 PM »
Moving on to Brian Jay Jones' biography of Jim Henson

I was thinking about Henson the other day. His Muppets were such a big part of my childhood, and I honestly know nothing about the man who came up with them.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2557 on: November 08, 2019, 09:00:12 PM »
Reading the Red Rising series and on book 3. I think this series actually gets better each book.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2558 on: November 14, 2019, 09:03:53 PM »
Changing gears for a bit with Astounding: John W. Campbell, Isaac Asimov, Robert A. Heinlein, L. Ron Hubbard, and the Golden Age of Science Fiction by Alec Nevala-Lee

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2559 on: November 18, 2019, 02:10:35 PM »
Going back to classic Hollywood with Hope: Entertainer of the Century by Richard Zoglin

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2560 on: November 18, 2019, 03:22:13 PM »
I just finished Dispel Illusion (book 3 of Impossible Times Trilogy) by Mark Lawrence and it was absolutely brilliant!

This man has published four books this year and all are at the top of my favorites for the year. It's settled, I will read and love anything this dude publishes. Amazing.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #2561 on: November 18, 2019, 04:11:16 PM »
I just finished Dispel Illusion (book 3 of Impossible Times Trilogy) by Mark Lawrence and it was absolutely brilliant!

This man has published four books this year and all are at the top of my favorites for the year. It's settled, I will read and love anything this dude publishes. Amazing.

I still have yet to read the 2nd book. It's at the top of my list to read though. I've heard nothing but good things.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2562 on: November 20, 2019, 11:09:36 AM »
The Ruin of Kings by Jenn Lyons. Tor promoted the hell out of this book, let's see if it deserved all the hype.

I'm a little over half way through this. Didn't deserve the hype so far. Not bad, just not all that great.

Mort was great.

Really looking forward to discuss this one with you when I'm done and you're done. I'm a few chapters in and I like it so far. I'll try and shoot you a PM when I'm finished.

Okay so I finally finished this and I don't know. It had a lot of potential, and especially in the middle it was quite a page-turner that made me stay up late for a few evenings in a row to see how it goes forward... and then it just kind of turned into a over-complicated, over-written mess that at one point was a total slog to get through. I'm not even sure if I'll buy a follow-up if there is one.

I had no idea Mark Lawrence is in the middle of another trilogy already, man. I've been able to get my hands on Holy Sister, but no luck with the first two books yet.

Anyway, Dune Messiah by Frank Herbert, only reading this because one of my best friends borrowed me his copy of the book, not expecting much given I wasn't too big on the first book, but we'll see.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2563 on: November 20, 2019, 11:26:11 AM »
I had no idea Mark Lawrence is in the middle of another trilogy already, man. I've been able to get my hands on Holy Sister, but no luck with the first two books yet.

The Impossible Times trilogy books (One Word Kill, Limited Wish, and Dispel Illusion) are all pretty short sci-fi novels and are easy to get through quickly. But in Lawrence tradition they tell a complicated multi-threaded tale that he brings back around and ties up quite satisfyingly. Brilliant stuff.

I still feel bad for you that Red Sister and Grey Sister aren't available. I definitely don't suggest reading Holy Sister without them first.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2564 on: November 20, 2019, 11:33:28 AM »
I'm not going to, don't worry. :) It just rests on my bookshelf for now. I'm sure I'll eventually find them.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2565 on: November 24, 2019, 06:10:47 PM »
Reading about one of my literary heroes in Mark Twain: A Life by Ron Powers

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #2566 on: November 25, 2019, 03:54:38 PM »
Charles Bukowski - Notes of a Dirty Old Man

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #2567 on: November 25, 2019, 07:20:44 PM »

Okay so I finally finished this and I don't know. It had a lot of potential, and especially in the middle it was quite a page-turner that made me stay up late for a few evenings in a row to see how it goes forward... and then it just kind of turned into a over-complicated, over-written mess that at one point was a total slog to get through. I'm not even sure if I'll buy a follow-up if there is one.

Ok I finally finished this last night. Way too complicated and too many characters with similar names that I couldn't tell apart by the end. I was reading this with my wife and she called it the "Book of Revelations" as it seemed to be just one character revealing that they were actually someone else over and over.

Back to The Burning White by Brent Weeks so far so good. Have you read any Brent Weeks?

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2568 on: November 25, 2019, 09:47:15 PM »
Ok I finally finished this last night. Way too complicated and too many characters with similar names that I couldn't tell apart by the end. I was reading this with my wife and she called it the "Book of Revelations" as it seemed to be just one character revealing that they were actually someone else over and over.

Back to The Burning White by Brent Weeks so far so good. Have you read any Brent Weeks?

:lol

I know, right? Terindel, Kelindel, Kelinos, Teraeth, Gadrith, Khaevath, Khaemezra... and don't forget about mimics and magical items that allow you to swap bodies.

I actually do want to dig into some Brent Weeks now that his Lightbringer series are finished, heard nothing but good things about it, haven't read a page of his work yet. It may have to wait until I'm abroad once more though, can't seem to find any of his books here.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2569 on: November 30, 2019, 12:28:45 PM »
Wild and Crazy Guys: How the Comedy Mavericks of the '80s Changed Hollywood Forever by Nick de Semlyen

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2570 on: December 01, 2019, 09:41:29 AM »
Finally getting back to fiction with One Word Kill by Mark Lawrence

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2571 on: December 02, 2019, 03:41:44 PM »
Having been a huge fan of The Night Circus, I'm very eager to see if The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern will be just as good

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2572 on: December 04, 2019, 11:54:12 AM »
Empire Of Grass by Tad Williams. This thing is about 1600 pages long, so it will probably occupy me till the end of the year.  :D

Okay, not till the end of the year but took me still a long time. There are a lot of story arcs that seem to lead nowhere and Tad Williams is wordy as always, but he's written better stuff.

Now reading: Mike Reiss, Mathew Klickstein - Springfield Confidential, very entertaining so far.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2573 on: December 06, 2019, 04:12:46 AM »
that's a good one

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2574 on: December 07, 2019, 09:12:11 AM »
I reached 100 books again for the third year in a row. Shame The Starless Sea was a bit of a disappointment for me. Anyway, on to Me by Elton John

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2575 on: December 08, 2019, 04:34:16 AM »
Finally reading The Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2576 on: December 08, 2019, 10:01:05 PM »
Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #2577 on: December 10, 2019, 01:36:02 PM »
Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2578 on: December 10, 2019, 02:56:34 PM »
both great choices

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #2579 on: December 11, 2019, 04:59:44 PM »
Eric by Terry Pratchett
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2580 on: December 14, 2019, 08:08:59 AM »
One Thousand Monsters by Kim Newman

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #2581 on: December 14, 2019, 06:01:29 PM »
I thought I'd join in if you guys don't mind.  I normally read fiction, especially award winners.  I might list a few of my favorites in my next post.

But I'm also a science buff and so I am currently reading The Dragons of Eden by Carl Sagan.  So far it's pretty good and I really like Carl's writing style.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2582 on: December 15, 2019, 06:24:17 AM »
Carl is fantastic!

If you like Dragons of Eden, you may enjoy The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins (assuming you haven't read it already). I found it wonderfully eye opening concerning the role DNA plays in evolutionary pressure. Great stuff.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2583 on: December 15, 2019, 01:32:29 PM »
About Time, by Paul Davies.  It's about... time.  :)

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2584 on: December 16, 2019, 02:12:28 PM »
 The Ruin of Kings by Jenn Lyons

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2585 on: December 16, 2019, 09:23:38 PM »
The Ruin of Kings by Jenn Lyons

Good luck!

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

This was alright, a bit more young adult oriented than I originally thought, but still pretty good. Time to read the second book since I bought both of them anyway

Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2586 on: December 16, 2019, 11:52:08 PM »
The Satan Bug by Alistair MacLean
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2587 on: December 17, 2019, 04:11:01 PM »
I'm two hundred something pages in and I'm really liking it so far. Only complaint is the whole going back and forth through tenses

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2588 on: December 17, 2019, 06:45:36 PM »
Hey fantasy lovers, can I get a recommendation for a fantasy novel/series for someone who doesn't consider himself a fantasy fan? I know, kinda weird, but I am burned out on my usual literary fare, and want something new to dive in to. I'd prefer to avoid anything super long as I don't have much time to commit to reading and don't want to spend months just to get through one bookFor reference, I loved the Song of Fire and Ice books. While they are rooted in fantasy, the focus was always on its very human characters, which was what I was drawn to in the series.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2589 on: December 17, 2019, 07:30:47 PM »
Hey fantasy lovers, can I get a recommendation for a fantasy novel/series for someone who doesn't consider himself a fantasy fan? I know, kinda weird, but I am burned out on my usual literary fare, and want something new to dive in to. I'd prefer to avoid anything super long as I don't have much time to commit to reading and don't want to spend months just to get through one bookFor reference, I loved the Song of Fire and Ice books. While they are rooted in fantasy, the focus was always on its very human characters, which was what I was drawn to in the series.

The Dresden Files are fantasy-lite since they're mostly urban based fantasy