Author Topic: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings  (Read 286566 times)

Offline masterthes

Re: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings
« Reply #2450 on: August 05, 2019, 06:29:47 AM »
For a brisk change of pace, about to read a paranormal mystery starring a pan sexual called Osgood as Gone by Cooper S. Beckett
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 06:35:36 AM by masterthes »

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2451 on: August 05, 2019, 06:31:12 AM »
Now I'm onto The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin and three chapters in, I'm enjoying this immensely. I hope the quality stays at least the same throughout the whole novel, so far this is incredibly captivating. If it stays at least in the same ballpark, I can definitely see why this book won Hugo Award in 2016.

This was incredible, quite possibly my favourite fantasy read in the last few years. Last time I enjoyed the book that much was The Lies of Locke Lamora and Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch, and this book is very different from these two. Less action, more world-building, but never to the point it becomes a slog. Excellent book.

I've also managed to find the other two books in this trilogy and bought both today so I guess I know I'm reading in a few weeks after my vacation.
I read this series a while back. It was definitely different from anything else I've ever read. Wasn't a huge fan, but I enjoyed them well enough to finish.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2452 on: August 05, 2019, 07:00:20 AM »
:tup

I definitely recommend it. It's somewhat heavy (you'll know what I mean after the first few chapters) but it's one of those books I struggled to put away. Reading until 1 A.M. when you have to get up four hours later, that kind of stuff.

I'm struggling to get into it. The author's way of telling the story is very odd and disconnected, i.e.; "Below the mountain is a hill, and on the hill is a town, not a proper [nonsense word] but a rude place with one tall building. In the tall building is a woman holding her son. A son who was murdered by his father the previous evening. She isn't singing or rocking him. She's very still. Her countenance is neutral, very far away."

That's probably a bad illustration of her writing style, but it's the way it makes me feel. Like a fantasy-horror tale told by a bored Thorazine patient.

I'll stick with it. I've read great books before from authors with different styles.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2453 on: August 05, 2019, 07:45:44 AM »
:tup

I definitely recommend it. It's somewhat heavy (you'll know what I mean after the first few chapters) but it's one of those books I struggled to put away. Reading until 1 A.M. when you have to get up four hours later, that kind of stuff.

I'm struggling to get into it. The author's way of telling the story is very odd and disconnected, i.e.; "Below the mountain is a hill, and on the hill is a town, not a proper [nonsense word] but a rude place with one tall building. In the tall building is a woman holding her son. A son who was murdered by his father the previous evening. She isn't singing or rocking him. She's very still. Her countenance is neutral, very far away."

That's probably a bad illustration of her writing style, but it's the way it makes me feel. Like a fantasy-horror tale told by a bored Thorazine patient.

I'll stick with it. I've read great books before from authors with different styles.

I too had a difficult time during the prologue, but I was convinced after the first three chapters. The "nonsense words" is definitely something that she does apparently, it's basically as if you're in that universe and the word's meaning should be obvious to you, except it isn't.  It was even funnier for me because I went to the Google translate thinking those were actual words and I just didn't know them. Later I found there's a spoiler-free glossary in the back of the book. :lol They do get explained throughout the book so it didn't bother me much.

I suggest to stuck with it for a few more chapters and if it doesn't get better for you, then drop it. No need to soldier on through it based on my recommendation. ;)
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #2454 on: August 05, 2019, 01:59:57 PM »
Dune by Frank Herbert.  I tried reading Asimov's Foundation several months ago, but just couldn't stick with it.  Dune has a similar scope, with lots of characters, history, rich and detailed political and social dynamics, but I am enjoying this much more.

While taking a break from Dune, I read Calculating God by Robert Sawyer based on a friend's recommendation.  The whole story seemed like an amateurish platform for the main plot, which is a conversation between an alien and a human paleontologist about the existence of God.  Some of the standard arguments for and against which I found good reading, but the rest of the story was unnecessary and didn't do anything for the main plot.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2455 on: August 05, 2019, 02:58:36 PM »
Later I found there's a spoiler-free glossary in the back of the book. :lol They do get explained throughout the book so it didn't bother me much.

What a helpful tip! I just read the glossary and feel more prepared to "soldier on", as you put it.  :lol

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2456 on: August 05, 2019, 06:32:25 PM »
Dune by Frank Herbert.  I tried reading Asimov's Foundation several months ago, but just couldn't stick with it.  Dune has a similar scope, with lots of characters, history, rich and detailed political and social dynamics, but I am enjoying this much more.

While taking a break from Dune, I read Calculating God by Robert Sawyer based on a friend's recommendation.  The whole story seemed like an amateurish platform for the main plot, which is a conversation between an alien and a human paleontologist about the existence of God.  Some of the standard arguments for and against which I found good reading, but the rest of the story was unnecessary and didn't do anything for the main plot.

Dune is pretty great. I read the original six when I was a teenager and I remember enjoying them all. However a few years ago, I tried re-reading the series with the intent to read the newer books but I quit after God Emperor of Dune. I remember it being very boring and it seemed like Herbert was more interested in getting his philosophical ideas across rather than telling a good story. I'm really not into Philosophical Sci-Fi. The first book was just as great as I remembered though!
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2457 on: August 05, 2019, 09:20:29 PM »
Les Aventures de Tintin au Pays des Soviets by Hergé

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2458 on: August 05, 2019, 09:21:56 PM »
Loved the Dune film when I was a kid. Read the book later on in my teens and was bored and underwhelmed. Gave it another go years later, and still didn't enjoy it much.

Reading Eyes of the Dragon now, an older King novel I somehow have never read.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2459 on: August 06, 2019, 07:59:18 AM »

Back to historical fiction. Reading Youngblood Hawke by Herman Wouk. Years ago, I absolutely loved The Winds of War duology, but wasn't a big fan of The Caine Mutiny, so we'll see how this goes

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2460 on: August 06, 2019, 12:22:45 PM »
The Caine Mutiny is one of my absolutely favorite books.  ;)
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2461 on: August 08, 2019, 04:41:37 PM »
While indeed being a great book, I think it is a little too bloated for its own good at times. Great movie too.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2462 on: August 08, 2019, 08:53:04 PM »
Crucible  by James Rollins

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #2463 on: August 14, 2019, 03:06:59 AM »
Assassini by Thomas Gifford

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2464 on: August 20, 2019, 05:40:10 AM »
Les Aventures du Tintin au Congo by Hergé.

This story is set in Africa, and was written in the 30s. Needless to say,  there's some seriously racist shit in this comic.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #2465 on: August 20, 2019, 06:00:37 AM »
Hergé has shown that he's far from being racist in his later works, but that comic is very cringeworthy.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2466 on: August 22, 2019, 02:26:09 PM »
Look Homeward, Angel by Thomas Wolfe

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2467 on: August 22, 2019, 09:55:34 PM »
Lords and Ladies by Pratchett

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2468 on: August 22, 2019, 10:16:20 PM »

Pleasantly surprised by this book. Quite an enjoyable read. Maybe I shouldn't have been surprised, it isn't often a King book lets me down, regardless of genre.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2469 on: August 23, 2019, 04:44:41 AM »

Pleasantly surprised by this book. Quite an enjoyable read. Maybe I shouldn't have been surprised, it isn't often a King book lets me down, regardless of genre.

That's one of my favorite books, ever. A fantastic modern tale.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2470 on: August 25, 2019, 07:57:35 PM »
Finished the DS9 Omnibus and now I'm reading "A Stitch In Time" by Andrew Robinson. I'm only about 10% in but the writing is so much better then the collected works of the omnibus, the pacing is really well done.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #2471 on: August 25, 2019, 07:59:13 PM »
Currently rereading the Wheel of Time series, for like the 100th time. On book 3 The Dragon Reborn at the moment.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2472 on: August 31, 2019, 06:15:40 AM »
Motherless Brooklyn by Jonathan Lethem. I saw the trailer for the upcoming movie and was intrigued

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2473 on: September 01, 2019, 05:22:35 PM »
The Editor by Steven Rowley

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2474 on: September 03, 2019, 01:08:01 PM »
The House of Getty by Russell Miller

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2475 on: September 03, 2019, 02:02:10 PM »
Mike Love, "Good Vibrations: My Life As A Beach Boy"

There are two schools of thought: 1) Mike Love is a giant douchebag who ran (and is still running) the Beach Boys almost Beatles-esque legacy into the ground, and 2) it's more complicated than that, and he's an equal part of a very creative, but troubled family band.   

I'm reading this, and I think the truth is somewhere around 1.25.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2476 on: September 03, 2019, 03:04:14 PM »
Stephen King, Mr. Mercedes
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2477 on: September 03, 2019, 04:06:49 PM »
Stephen King... DT IV Wizard and Glass.

Oh how I've tried to stay away from The Tower books this year, but I re-read The Stand and I couldn't help it.  I always, always find something new each time through.  I'm using the audio books this time and the pacing is awesome!  I think Eddie Dean and Larry Underwood would have gotten along quite well...

I'm also re-reading portions of 12 Rules for Life (Jordan Peterson) and The Golden Alphabet (CH Spurgeon) when it suits me... seems to suit me well lately.  I also use Morning and Evening by Spurgeon as a devotional...

Starting Atomic Habits (James Clear) and Wilderness Essays (John Muir) in the next few days I hope.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2478 on: September 03, 2019, 11:21:44 PM »
Oh how I've tried to stay away from The Tower books this year

I was trying to stay away, too, but I just decided to exploit a loophole in my resolution instead.

La Tour Sombre II: Les Trois Cartes by Stephen King
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 07:34:24 AM by SchecterShredder »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2479 on: September 03, 2019, 11:27:47 PM »
Stephen King, Mr. Mercedes

Curious to know your thoughts when done.

Oh how I've tried to stay away from The Tower books this year, but I re-read The Stand and I couldn't help it.  I always, always find something new each time through. 

I finished the series 5+ years ago. Would like to revisit but wanted to enough time to elapse. Thinking about jumping in again in a year or two.

I think Eddie Dean and Larry Underwood would have gotten along quite well...

I am not sure Larry Underwood ever got along with anyone quite well.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #2480 on: September 04, 2019, 01:11:51 AM »
I recently finished my re-read of the Dark Tower series and I thoroughly enjoyed it again. I've been thinking about re-reading The Stand too, but will probably read some new books first.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2481 on: September 09, 2019, 10:03:52 AM »
Hadn't posted here in a while Finished The Obelisk Gate and The Stone Sky by N.K. Jemisin (the whole trilogy is, once again, fantastic. Loved it), then read The Colour of Magic by Pratchett (alright but liked Guards Guards more), then read Shadow Games by Glen Cook (ehh).

Now by the wonders of international travel I've just stumbled upon recently released A Little Hatred by Joe Abercrombie, looking forward to digging into it this evening.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #2482 on: September 09, 2019, 12:50:15 PM »
Reading something easier and shorter right now: Coraline by Neil Gaiman.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2483 on: September 09, 2019, 05:11:51 PM »
Finally getting the chance to read Recursion by Blake Crouch. Hopefully, it's as good, if not better, than Dark Matter

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2484 on: September 10, 2019, 06:28:50 AM »
Finally getting the chance to read Recursion by Blake Crouch. Hopefully, it's as good, if not better, than Dark Matter

I liked Dark Matter, so I'm interested to know how this one is.