Author Topic: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings  (Read 286428 times)

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Re: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings
« Reply #2240 on: December 29, 2018, 02:16:56 AM »
Really enjoying The Three Body Problem. Hardish Sci-Fi book about the undermining of physical reality as a prelude to an alien invasion.

That one is on my want-to-read list.

After finishing that, I bought and read The Dark Forest, and have now started Death's End. These books are insanely addicting.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2241 on: December 30, 2018, 06:22:23 PM »
Well, I'm officially calling it for 2018. 114 books read, 10 more than last year. I'm calling it because I'm now reading Fire & Blood by George R.R. Martin, because I doubt I'll be able to read a 700 page book in a day and a half

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2242 on: January 03, 2019, 11:54:19 AM »
Warlock Holmes: My Grave Ritual by G.S. Denning
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2243 on: January 03, 2019, 02:45:08 PM »
Small Gods by Terry Pratchett.

Also, it's nice to see there's another Warlock book. The first two were pretty entertaining.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2244 on: January 04, 2019, 03:20:54 AM »
Finished The Salmon Of Doubt by Douglas Adams, which wasn't very good. I knew that this was a posthumous publication of essays and unfinished works, but somehow I expected more.

On to Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2245 on: January 05, 2019, 09:37:00 AM »
The Sins of the Father by Jeffrey Archer. Hopefully, it's as good as the first book

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2246 on: January 06, 2019, 10:06:02 AM »
Moving on to the next book in the series with Best Kept Secret by Jeffrey Archer

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2247 on: January 07, 2019, 10:38:38 AM »
And we have my first DNF of the year. Really wasn't engaged in the story. Anyway, changing up to some nonfiction with Hamilton: The Revolution by Lin Manuel Miranda

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2248 on: January 07, 2019, 01:37:49 PM »
Started Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman without any knowledge as to what I was in for. Only a little bit in and finding it enjoyable.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2249 on: January 08, 2019, 08:55:10 AM »
It's an awesome book

Reading The Silkworm by J.K. Rowling. Hopefully, it's as good if not better than the first book

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2250 on: January 10, 2019, 07:25:23 AM »
Time to read about pirates with black Flags, Blue Waters by Eric Jay Dolin

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #2251 on: January 10, 2019, 07:58:38 AM »
Death Masks by Jim Butcher

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2252 on: January 11, 2019, 11:57:54 AM »
Harry Potter et l'Ordre du Phénix by Rowling.

Given that it took me almost a month to read HP4, and that was with the benefit of being off work the entire month of December, i expect this tome,  at 1 000+ pages, will take me a solid 6 weeks to read.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2253 on: January 11, 2019, 12:27:50 PM »
 If your experience with HP is anything like mine it will take you half that. This is where I totally got hooked on the series and plowed through the last three books at lightning speed.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2254 on: January 11, 2019, 12:57:25 PM »
If your experience with HP is anything like mine it will take you half that. This is where I totally got hooked on the series and plowed through the last three books at lightning speed.

It's the french that'll slow me down. I read the last 2 books in english as they came out to beat any movie spoilers, and those went ridiculously fast (~90 pages per hour). I just flat out can't read as fast in french, which makes sense since it's a second language. I will agree that these last 3 are the best, and I'm looking forward to HP5 to see what differences there are between the book and movie. I found that HP4 had a bunch of little side stories or plots that didn't make the movie cut.

Online ozzy554

« Reply #2255 on: January 11, 2019, 04:01:01 PM »
Finished Lightning by Dean Koontz - It was a fun read.

The Ninth Configuration by William Peter Blatty - I liked it but I actually enjoyed the movie more.

Currently reading If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of a B Movie Actor by Bruce Campbell
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2256 on: January 11, 2019, 07:46:51 PM »
This reading year is sucking so far. 11 days into the new year and I've already DNF'd two books. I think I'm getting pickier in my old age. Anyway, I'm going to give a real solid commitment this time to reading Ron Chernow's biography on Washington

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2257 on: January 11, 2019, 08:58:04 PM »

It's the french that'll slow me down. I read the last 2 books in english as they came out to beat any movie spoilers, and those went ridiculously fast (~90 pages per hour). I just flat out can't read as fast in french, which makes sense since it's a second language. I will agree that these last 3 are the best, and I'm looking forward to HP5 to see what differences there are between the book and movie. I found that HP4 had a bunch of little side stories or plots that didn't make the movie cut.

Oh those side plots get better and never make an appearance. I was always so sad SPEW didn't make it.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2258 on: January 14, 2019, 02:44:03 PM »
The Winter of the Witch by Katherine Arden. I know I'll be committed to this book because I really enjoyed the first two books. I'm confident that this book will "stick the landing" as it were

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #2259 on: January 17, 2019, 01:13:10 AM »
I'm going to re-read The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. But probably not in one go, I will surely read other books in between.

Starting with The Gunslinger. My original paperback is from the mid 80s, since then King has revised this book, so now I will read the "new" version and see if it's better.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2260 on: January 17, 2019, 02:18:26 PM »
The Sky Is Yours by Chandler King Smith

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2261 on: January 20, 2019, 03:22:08 PM »
on to Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #2262 on: January 21, 2019, 06:59:42 AM »
Metro 2033 by Dmitry Glukhovsky

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2263 on: January 21, 2019, 01:33:37 PM »
Oh God Not Again by Sarah1281. About to read something a bit different: fan fiction; specifically, Harry Potter fan fiction. I heard about this towards the end of last year on Booktube and thought the premise was intriguing. What if Harry feel into the Veil, and instead of being consigned to oblivion, was thrown back in time, but he has his memories intact?

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2264 on: January 23, 2019, 04:02:06 PM »
it's been three years since I last visited Discworld, and it's high time I get back there with Wintersmith

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2265 on: January 23, 2019, 04:10:44 PM »
I'm going to re-read The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. But probably not in one go, I will surely read other books in between.

Starting with The Gunslinger. My original paperback is from the mid 80s, since then King has revised this book, so now I will read the "new" version and see if it's better.

I'm planning on taking another trip to The Dark Tower at some point, but not for a while. Am curious to know your thoughts on the "new" Gunslinger. My understanding on the changes is that they are very small in nature and don't affect the narrative in any substantive way. Also, are you including Wind Through the Keyhole in your reading?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #2266 on: January 24, 2019, 01:26:01 AM »
It's been a long time that I've read The Gunslinger in it's original form. There were a lot of instances where I thought "I don't remember this, this must be new", but I think for the most part it's just my bad memory.  ;D But this time I enjoyed the book much more than on my first read. There are a lot of hints at things to come, which I naturally didn't see when I first read it. Still my least favorite of the series but much better than I remembered.

And yes, I'm going to include Wind Through The Keyhole.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2267 on: January 24, 2019, 02:22:46 AM »
Past Tense by Lee Child. A Reacher novel.

Also enjoyed reading Elevation a short novel by Stephen King and Lethal White by Robert Galbraith (aka J.K. Rawling)
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online ozzy554

« Reply #2268 on: January 25, 2019, 07:00:03 AM »
It's been a long time that I've read The Gunslinger in it's original form. There were a lot of instances where I thought "I don't remember this, this must be new", but I think for the most part it's just my bad memory.  ;D But this time I enjoyed the book much more than on my first read. There are a lot of hints at things to come, which I naturally didn't see when I first read it. Still my least favorite of the series but much better than I remembered.

Also that's one of the main reasons he revised it. He wanted it to match up better with the later continuity in the series.

Also he felt that the original version of the novel was a bit too dry which was one of the reasons the first entry of the series is one of my least favorites. Someday I do plan to read the revised version to see if I like it better.

Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2269 on: January 25, 2019, 10:41:45 AM »
Also that's one of the main reasons he revised it. He wanted it to match up better with the later continuity in the series.

Also he felt that the original version of the novel was a bit too dry which was one of the reasons the first entry of the series is one of my least favorites. Someday I do plan to read the revised version to see if I like it better.

Right. I get his reasoning, I just don't know how I feel about him "Lucas'ing" one of his works as a fan of his and a regular consumer of his work. But I am willing to give him some benefit here since The Gunslinger was written as a series of short stories, and not originally intended to e Part 1 of a massive 7-Part saga.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2270 on: January 25, 2019, 11:09:47 AM »
Personally, i would have liked King to do the full revision he planned (i.e fix continuity errors and write himself out of the story). I still really enjoyed the series though.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2271 on: January 25, 2019, 11:21:09 AM »
Personally, i would have liked King to do the full revision he planned (i.e fix continuity errors and write himself out of the story). 

Huh, was unaware of this plan. As big of a fan of his I am, TDT is in the middle of the pack in my personal rankings of his work, so I am not up on any news about the series as other fans likely are.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2272 on: January 25, 2019, 02:55:47 PM »
Thanks A Lot Mr. Kibblewhite: My Story by Roger Daltrey

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2273 on: January 25, 2019, 02:59:07 PM »
Personally, i would have liked King to do the full revision he planned (i.e fix continuity errors and write himself out of the story). I still really enjoyed the series though.

Like, completely write himself out of the story? That could be interesting, but wouldn't that take a lot of work? As far as I remember, he's quite prominent in the later books.

I've been quiet for a while here, done with rereading The Final Empire and its follow-up, The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson (the latter book has improved drastically on the reread), then started and finished Emperor of Thorns by Mark Lawrence (decent, but King of Thorns is my favourite out of three I think) and about to get to the final part of my Mistborn trilogy reread with Hero of Ages.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2274 on: January 25, 2019, 06:53:30 PM »

Like, completely write himself out of the story? That could be interesting, but wouldn't that take a lot of work? As far as I remember, he's quite prominent in the later books

I think the large amount of work required is a large part of why he decided to just leave them as is.