Author Topic: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings  (Read 288868 times)

Offline masterthes

Re: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings
« Reply #2205 on: December 05, 2018, 09:11:14 AM »
After this trilogy, I might go to the Rains Wild set next year, but we'll see

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2206 on: December 05, 2018, 09:21:47 AM »
Have you read the "Live Ship Trader" group?
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2207 on: December 05, 2018, 12:08:01 PM »
Yeah, earlier this year. Really enjoyed them

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2208 on: December 05, 2018, 12:11:04 PM »
 :tup

Kennit Ludluck was the most fascinating amoral asshole I ever read about.  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2209 on: December 06, 2018, 07:17:13 AM »
Gods yes. Anyway, I am really not impressed with this book so far. she takes way too long to get to the point. I'm almost 200 pages in and getting slightly bored, like get to the plot already. You'd think she got paid by the page

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2210 on: December 06, 2018, 10:54:57 AM »
The slow, placid, domestic moments are necessary for the larger story. Stick with it. You'll thank me later!  :biggrin:

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #2211 on: December 06, 2018, 12:04:05 PM »
Neverwhere, by Neil Gaiman.
Brave
Murder
Day

Online ozzy554

« Reply #2212 on: December 08, 2018, 06:19:25 PM »
I finished Rumble Tumble (Hap & Leonard #5) by Joe Lansdale.  Lansdale has a way of making things both horrifying and hilarious at the same time which just makes his books a lot of fun.

Currently reading Storm Front by Jim Butcher. I had never heard of this series until I saw it mentioned in this thread and it looked like it could be right up my alley. Well I started the book yesterday and I'm almost done with it so I guess it is.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2213 on: December 08, 2018, 08:09:58 PM »
Not generally an avid reader of short stories, but totally hooked on No Middle Name: The Complete Collected Jack Reacher Short Stories by Lee Child.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #2214 on: December 08, 2018, 09:03:38 PM »
Really enjoying The Three Body Problem. Hardish Sci-Fi book about the undermining of physical reality as a prelude to an alien invasion.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2215 on: December 09, 2018, 07:19:15 AM »
Not generally an avid reader of short stories, but totally hooked on No Middle Name: The Complete Collected Jack Reacher Short Stories by Lee Child.

It's a solid collection, indeed. I think there's only one story i thought was fairly stupid, and the rest were good fun.

Harry Potter et la Coupe de Feu

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2216 on: December 09, 2018, 09:17:21 AM »
Really enjoying The Three Body Problem. Hardish Sci-Fi book about the undermining of physical reality as a prelude to an alien invasion.

That one is on my want-to-read list.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2217 on: December 09, 2018, 04:01:02 PM »
Switching gears somewhat and reading some YA for a change, Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2218 on: December 10, 2018, 09:02:00 AM »
That was a nice, quick read. I'll definitely read the next in the series.

On to A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms by George RR Martin

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2219 on: December 12, 2018, 02:30:03 AM »
Grave Peril by Jim Butcher
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2220 on: December 12, 2018, 04:15:40 AM »
The Jungle Books by Rudyard Kipling

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2221 on: December 12, 2018, 03:39:04 PM »
So, I really only read the first Jungle Book, because the last few stories bored me, but I might go back to read the second book one day. Anyway, going to give Against the Day by Thomas Pynchon another try

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2222 on: December 13, 2018, 11:13:38 AM »
Lethal White by Robert Galbraith

Excellent book. Probably tied for my favourite in the series with The Silkworm. The plot was satisfying but complicated as heck, in a good way. I found it very well thought out and executed. I think I will reread it next year just to catch any of the details I missed. I've read some negative non-spoilery reviews before digging into it, well, I don't know, I liked this a lot.

Back to Mark Lawrence with King of Thorns which I finally bought with the third book too, I guess I'm committed now.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2223 on: December 13, 2018, 03:59:16 PM »
Alright, I guess Pynchon is just not for me, no matter how hard I try, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to enjoy Bloody Rose by Nicholas Eames. Kings of the Wyld was one of my favorite books last year. Hopefully, I'll feel the same about this

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2224 on: December 16, 2018, 08:03:49 PM »
I'm going to give Anthony Trollope another try with The Way We Live Now

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #2225 on: December 17, 2018, 11:47:42 AM »

Finished that one, good entertaining read. But did I miss a chapter or does Michael come more or less out of the blue?

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2226 on: December 17, 2018, 12:07:28 PM »

Finished that one, good entertaining read. But did I miss a chapter or does Michael come more or less out of the blue?

He does indeed. That was the most jarring introduction ever. I also thought I missed something.

You're in for the whole series now I guess. Grave Peril was interesting enough for me to give Summer Knight a chance, and after that I was hooked. Grave Peril is also very important to the whole plot, which, I guess, you'll notice down the road.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2227 on: December 17, 2018, 12:47:37 PM »
The First Christmas - What the Gospels Really Teach About Jesus's Birth by Marcus J. Borg & John Dominic Crossan
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #2228 on: December 17, 2018, 03:49:46 PM »

He does indeed. That was the most jarring introduction ever. I also thought I missed something.

You're in for the whole series now I guess. Grave Peril was interesting enough for me to give Summer Knight a chance, and after that I was hooked. Grave Peril is also very important to the whole plot, which, I guess, you'll notice down the road.

Thanks for the info. At first I thought I missed something, I even got back to Fool Moon to see if he was mentioned there. Then I thought there will be a flashback in the coming chapters, but nothing. Strange to not really introduce such a major character for the book.

And I will definitely read more Dresden books. Summer Knight is on my shopping list already.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2229 on: December 17, 2018, 04:28:23 PM »

Thanks for the info. At first I thought I missed something, I even got back to Fool Moon to see if he was mentioned there. Then I thought there will be a flashback in the coming chapters, but nothing. Strange to not really introduce such a major character for the book.

And I will definitely read more Dresden books. Summer Knight is on my shopping list already.

Summer Knight is awesome!

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #2230 on: December 19, 2018, 03:02:41 AM »
Alright, continuing the Dresden series with Summer Knight by Jim Butcher

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2231 on: December 22, 2018, 08:48:15 PM »
Finished HP4, and i really enjoyed it. I only read the last 2 books as the movies were coming out back in day,  so this new territory for me. A nicely entertaining series,  although Azkaban was meh.

As i do every Christmas: Stupidest Angel  by Christopher Moore

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2232 on: December 23, 2018, 06:54:27 AM »
The Vorrh by Brian Catling

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2233 on: December 23, 2018, 08:31:20 AM »
Back to Mark Lawrence with King of Thorns which I finally bought with the third book too, I guess I'm committed now.

Better than the first one, still not sure the whole thing is up my alley though. It kind of reminds me of The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. I can't precisely say I like it, but it keeps me interested and invested enough that I don't mind following the story. I liked the whole box plot, added some needed dramatic tension.

Now that New Year is coming I feel the urge to reread The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson for the third time, always a pleasure to do that.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2234 on: December 25, 2018, 06:51:22 PM »
Forever and a Day by Anthony Horowitz

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2235 on: December 25, 2018, 07:33:15 PM »
I'm nearing the end of my re-watching DS9 and I'm now delving into the world ST Books. I started reading A Stitch in Time by  Andrew J. Robinson

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2236 on: December 26, 2018, 03:59:40 PM »
Two five star Anthony Horowitz books book end my year (Magpie Murders at the beginning of the year and the James Bond book at the end). If you're a Bond fan, I highly recommend it. Now, for some ASOIAF history with The World of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 09:47:06 PM by masterthes »

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2237 on: December 26, 2018, 04:48:28 PM »
The other night Jim Butcher posted a Dresden short story.

SPOILER WARNING
If you're not up to date with the Dresden files there are huge spoilers in this little tale...and even a partial/implied spoiler on a book yet to be released.

Otherwise, enjoy.

https://jim-butcher.com/christmas-eve

Online ozzy554

« Reply #2238 on: December 27, 2018, 10:48:33 AM »
Captains Outrageous (Hap and Leonard, #6) by Joe R. Lansdale.

Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2) by Jim Butcher. 

Currently Reading Lightning by Dean Koontz
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2239 on: December 28, 2018, 09:37:31 PM »
The first half was really good, but the quality dropped off a bit in the second half, but it did get me excited to read the first book of Fire and Blood sooner, rather than later. Might even be the first book I read in the new year.

Anyway, going to try to squeeze in one more book before year's end with Only Time Will Tell by Jeffrey Archer