Author Topic: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings  (Read 292103 times)

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
Re: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings
« Reply #2135 on: October 24, 2018, 09:22:07 AM »
A Map of Days, by Ransom Riggs.
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2136 on: October 24, 2018, 01:52:41 PM »
Harry Potter et le Prisonnier d'Azkaban

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2137 on: October 24, 2018, 02:23:01 PM »
Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence. I've read a lot of reviews claiming it was awful, and also a lot of praise for that one, so let's see what it's all about.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2138 on: October 24, 2018, 02:51:02 PM »
Star Wars: Guardians of the Whills - Greg Rucka

Rucka wrote a lot of stuff in the comic realm that I like a ton, including the killer Gotham Central storyline. This book, so far, is really enjoyable.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2139 on: October 24, 2018, 06:29:51 PM »
I need to read a book.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2140 on: October 26, 2018, 08:44:01 AM »
Even though Realms of Atlantis disappointed me greatly, I'm a big enough Lestat fan that that's not deterring me from reading Blood Communion by Anne Rice

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2141 on: October 26, 2018, 09:33:10 AM »
I need to read a book.

Haven't read that one TAC... who's the author?  Sounds like a solid story-line from the title.  Seriously though, Audible is a great app for audio books if that's your thing; I listen while driving and doing yard work and wood-work.  It's very relaxing when you want to take a break from music for a bit.

12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos by Jordan Peterson
The Golden Alphabet : An Exposition of Psalm 119 by C.H. Spurgeon

If audio books do count, I'm working my way through The Dark Tower volumes again whilst traveling to-and-from work... up to Wolves of the Calla now.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2142 on: October 26, 2018, 11:09:21 AM »
I can't for the life of me focus on audiobooks. I just fall asleep whenever I try audiobooks on my commute five or ten minutes in. Glad to know there are people enjoying them though!

Prince of Thorns is frustrating so far, but the story is alright. Got about a hundred pages left. I'm not sure what to think so far.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2143 on: October 27, 2018, 07:15:17 AM »
That was so much better than the last book. Anne is back in my good graces.

Now back to Sherlock one last time this year, with The Return of Sherlock Holmes

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2144 on: October 27, 2018, 12:36:08 PM »
I need to read a book.

And by "book" TAC meant "stone tablet."

I can't for the life of me focus on audiobooks. I just fall asleep whenever I try audiobooks on my commute five or ten minutes in.

Me too. I have tried but I apparently have the attention span of a gnat when it comes to audio books.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2145 on: October 28, 2018, 01:43:42 PM »
Meg, Jo, Beth, Amy: The Story of Little Women and Why It Still Matters by Anne Boyd Rioux

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2146 on: October 29, 2018, 04:58:24 PM »
Finishing off the month with some horror from my favorite: Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2147 on: October 31, 2018, 06:50:12 PM »
Getting prepared for Bohemian Rhapsody with Queen: The Ultimate Illustrated History of the Crown Kings of Rock by Phil Sutcliffe

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2148 on: November 01, 2018, 08:08:43 PM »
Springfield Confidential by Mike Reiss. I'll be shocked if this doesn't get a perfect rating from me, because I loved The Simpsons in its heyday

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2149 on: November 02, 2018, 08:27:01 AM »
Prince of Thorns is frustrating so far, but the story is alright. Got about a hundred pages left. I'm not sure what to think so far.

Finished this. I liked the writing style, but the story was pretty weak. Also doesn't help it's grimdark, so everyone (protagonist included) is pretty much murdering, torturing and raping everyone. Ugh. The protagonist also succeeds in basically everything. :lol Going to probably abandon this trilogy and look for Red Sister / Gray Sister books by the same author as I know Podaar liked those.

Sweet Silver Blues by Glen Cook

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2150 on: November 02, 2018, 08:37:38 AM »

Finished this. I liked the writing style, but the story was pretty weak. Also doesn't help it's grimdark, so everyone (protagonist included) is pretty much murdering, torturing and raping everyone. Ugh. The protagonist also succeeds in basically everything. :lol Going to probably abandon this trilogy and look for Red Sister / Gray Sister books by the same author as I know Podaar liked those.

The next two in the "Thorn" trilogy get better. Jorg is still an evil scumbag but much like Moorcock's Elric he tries to find a way to be helpful to the larger world by being the foil to an even greater evil. Plus, there are some surprisingly smart twists.

Still, Lawrence has changed as a writer the Ancestor trilogy (Sisters) is loads better with way more relatable characters. We're only a few months away from the release of the final book (Holy Sister) in that trilogy. I can't wait.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2151 on: November 02, 2018, 08:38:40 AM »
I'm finishing my Harry Potter (re-)reading with Harry Potter and The Cursed Child.

Also reading The Force by Don Winslow. This is really enjoyable so far.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2152 on: November 02, 2018, 08:52:30 AM »

The next two in the "Thorn" trilogy get better. Jorg is still an evil scumbag but much like Moorcock's Elric he tries to find a way to be helpful to the larger world by being the foil to an even greater evil. Plus, there are some surprisingly smart twists.

Still, Lawrence has changed as a writer the Ancestor trilogy (Sisters) is loads better with way more relatable characters. We're only a few months away from the release of the final book (Holy Sister) in that trilogy. I can't wait.

There are no Sister books in our English bookstores at all, the Thorn trilogy books are the only ones I could find. I'm going to be in Hamburg in February so perhaps their bookstores will have those.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2153 on: November 02, 2018, 09:08:22 AM »
You could always have me pick them up for you and ship them...send me a PM if that appeals.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2154 on: November 02, 2018, 09:13:50 AM »
Haven't posted here in a while. I'm currently reading Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson and I have to say this guy has become one of my favorite authors by far. His books are complex, fun and full of super interesting information and tons of food for thought.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2155 on: November 02, 2018, 09:18:04 AM »
You could always have me pick them up for you and ship them...send me a PM if that appeals.

The shipping costs to Russia are usually pretty insane, and with our national currency being shit and becoming shittier to both $ and € (five years ago, $1 was like 40-45 roubles, now $1 is about 70 roubles) I think it's a bit more than I can afford if I want to both visit Hamburg on my birthday and travel to Netherlands for Ayreon in September. I mean, Prince of Thorns cost me ~$8 in the store. Shipping two Sister books from US will probably cost ~$30-40, so I'll end up paying more for shipping than the book costs.

I appreciate the offer a lot, though. This is why I love DTF.

Haven't posted here in a while. I'm currently reading Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson and I have to say this guy has become one of my favorite authors by far. His books are complex, fun and full of super interesting information and tons of food for thought.

I've read Snow Crash. It was good until a certain part which I won't mention in case you didn't get to it yet. Never returned to that author, although I heard Cryptonomicon was good.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2156 on: November 02, 2018, 09:21:16 AM »
Cryptonomicon is good, but I found Anathem to be the most mind blowing one. Snow Crash is one of his earlier works so maybe he hadn't fine-tuned his skills yet. Seven Eves is also pretty interesting but in a very different vein than the rest.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2157 on: November 02, 2018, 09:25:52 AM »
Cryptonomicon is good, but I found Anathem to be the most mind blowing one. Snow Crash is one of his earlier works so maybe he hadn't fine-tuned his skills yet. Seven Eves is also pretty interesting but in a very different vein than the rest.

My best friend is a big fan of Stephenson. I've bought him Seveneves in 2015 as a Christmas gift (actually a New Year's gift, we don't celebrate Christmas on the 25th, but anyway). He said it was alright, but nowhere near Cryptonomicon or Anathem, yeah.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #2158 on: November 02, 2018, 09:57:46 AM »
Evermind, what about eBooks in Russia?

I buy and read most books nowadays as ebooks and have no problem getting foreign editions for a decent price. Sometimes books by german authors are cheaper when buying the english translation than buying the german original.  :laugh:

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #2159 on: November 02, 2018, 10:54:21 AM »

The Red Queen's War trilogy is really good too. Same world as Thorns, different protagonist. More fun/funny.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2160 on: November 02, 2018, 11:58:53 AM »

The Red Queen's War trilogy is really good too. Same world as Thorns, different protagonist. More fun/funny.

:iagree:

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2161 on: November 02, 2018, 12:27:57 PM »
Evermind, what about eBooks in Russia?

I buy and read most books nowadays as ebooks and have no problem getting foreign editions for a decent price. Sometimes books by german authors are cheaper when buying the english translation than buying the german original.  :laugh:

E-books are of course available, but I'm somewhat of an old school guy and prefer to have the actual book made of paper in my hands.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2162 on: November 03, 2018, 10:53:14 AM »
Moving on to a book about one of my favorite entertainers, My Lucky Life In and Out of Show Business by Dick Van Dyke

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2163 on: November 04, 2018, 07:19:52 PM »
100 books for the year!

Now, taking a break from the life stories and reading The Novel: An Alternative History: Beginnings to 1600 by Steven Moore

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2164 on: November 06, 2018, 11:32:46 AM »
That didn't work out so well. Instead, going back to biographies to read The Good Neighbor: The Life and Work of Fred Rogers by Maxwell King

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2165 on: November 06, 2018, 11:57:05 AM »
Star Wars Guardians of the Whills by Greg Rucka was an excellent read, and gave a wonderful backstory on both Chirrut and Baze from Rogue One. Short read, highly entertaining, very recommended if you love Star Wars Rogue One.

I'm putting down the books at the moment, and getting caught up on Daredevil (comics). Picked up Vol. 5 (all issues), so I have quite a bit of reading to catch up on. I'm a big fan, but haven't collected the comics in years, so I'm back and all-in.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2166 on: November 06, 2018, 02:37:26 PM »
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #2167 on: November 06, 2018, 11:50:16 PM »
On to another wizard Harry: Storm Front by Jim Butcher

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2168 on: November 07, 2018, 06:46:33 AM »

Good luck, Hef. I've tried that one a half dozen times in the past decade and can never get very far into it before I get bored.

On to another wizard Harry: Storm Front by Jim Butcher

This series really starts to take off by the third book. Storm Front is a first novel, and it shows (not bad, just not quite up to later standards). Fool Moon leap frogs it as a sophomore effort. Then Grave Peril is where things really get good.

I hope you stick with it.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2169 on: November 07, 2018, 07:17:17 AM »

Good luck, Hef. I've tried that one a half dozen times in the past decade and can never get very far into it before I get bored.
It's certainly not a page turner.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.