Author Topic: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings  (Read 292206 times)

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Re: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings
« Reply #910 on: April 09, 2016, 02:47:05 PM »
I bought: The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy (a trilogy in five parts) by Douglas Adams this week. I haven't read much but I really love it so far, the writing style itself is just great and amusing :azn:

I love the first two books, the rest is amusing but doesn't come close. But the correct answer of course is 42.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #911 on: April 09, 2016, 03:23:49 PM »
V for Vendetta.

Oh I love that one. I actually read it before watching the movie, it was a great experience and Alan Moore one of most talented comic book authors ever (along with Neil Gaiman, I love his writing style).

Just finished. Was underwhelmed, but that is largely to me really liking Watchmen, and From Hell being one of my favorite books in any genre/format. I enjoyed the first third very much, and bits of the second part with the secondary characters. But there was a noticeable drop off for me after that.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #913 on: April 10, 2016, 11:58:41 AM »
Fevre Dream by George R. R. Martin

Offline masterthes

« Reply #914 on: April 13, 2016, 07:29:29 AM »
Wonder Boys by Michael Chabon

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #915 on: April 13, 2016, 12:23:37 PM »
Just finished Wisdom of Eosphoros by Michael W. Ford

Offline masterthes

« Reply #916 on: April 14, 2016, 01:40:26 PM »
The Rachel Papers by Martin Amis

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #917 on: April 14, 2016, 01:47:25 PM »
Preparing for school, so I'm reading something called Naked Economics by Charles Wheelan, which is basically a Economics 101 type book. It's interesting the things you find out about business and the economy when you start to read more and more about it.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #918 on: April 15, 2016, 06:27:21 AM »
Well, that book was a bust. Instead, in honor of Shakespeare's birthday next week, I'm reading shakespeare: A Biography by Peter Ackroyd

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #919 on: April 22, 2016, 05:00:06 PM »
Finished Bill Bryson, reading Frankenstein.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #920 on: April 23, 2016, 06:02:58 AM »
Finished Dune by Frank Herbert. It was a bit of a slog, to be honest. I don't think I will bother with any of the sequels.
Next: Caught by Harlan Coben

Offline masterthes

« Reply #921 on: April 23, 2016, 04:33:03 PM »
Good Ogre by Platte F. Clark

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #922 on: April 23, 2016, 06:47:19 PM »
About 40 pages into stranger in a strange land .  I thought I should get into science fiction and Heinlein seems like a good place to start.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #923 on: April 24, 2016, 04:49:21 AM »
About 40 pages into stranger in a strange land .  I thought I should get into science fiction and Heinlein seems like a good place to start.
Great choice.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jasc15

« Reply #924 on: April 24, 2016, 05:30:20 PM »
What I find most interesting so far is how Heinlein totally deconstructs language to illustrate both how it might be perceived by an alien and how much unconscious subtlety we use as native users.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #925 on: April 24, 2016, 05:58:02 PM »
Finished Dune by Frank Herbert. It was a bit of a slog, to be honest.

I really wanted to enjoy this book because I loved the movie when I saw it as a kid. But I didn't really enjoy it at all. I might have been too young at the time, better suited to enjoy the visuals of the film without being able to appreciate the science fiction of the story.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #926 on: April 24, 2016, 06:02:34 PM »
Started with the second book of the Dark Tower series last night - a few chapters in and I'm really enjoying it.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #927 on: April 25, 2016, 01:55:02 AM »
Finished Dune by Frank Herbert. It was a bit of a slog, to be honest.

I really wanted to enjoy this book because I loved the movie when I saw it as a kid. But I didn't really enjoy it at all. I might have been too young at the time, better suited to enjoy the visuals of the film without being able to appreciate the science fiction of the story.

I was aware of the movie, back in the day, but I haven't watched it yet. I'm not sure how it would hold up when watching it fresh today.

The book was ok, I mean the writing was good, but I just felt some things could have been fleshed out a bit more to help me engage with the characters. For instance, there's a bit that seems to be a jump forward in time, where Paul suddenly has two children. We don't hear much about them at all, and then it's hard to feel anything when something happens to one of them. (Trying to avoid spoilers :))

Offline masterthes

« Reply #928 on: April 25, 2016, 08:13:21 AM »
Started with the second book of the Dark Tower series last night - a few chapters in and I'm really enjoying it.
This and The Wasteland are tied for my favorite books in the series

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #929 on: April 25, 2016, 02:00:52 PM »
One Up On Wall Street by Peter Lynch

Offline masterthes

« Reply #930 on: April 25, 2016, 04:19:56 PM »
Lord of the Barn Yard by Tristan Egolf

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #931 on: April 28, 2016, 12:39:24 PM »
Had to stop reading for a few months due to my roulette - all my free time went to listening to the songs - but now that it ended I was finally able to dig into Shadows of Self by Brandon Sanderson. I did a reread of all previous Mistborn stories before this one too, to remember everything that happened before this point.

All I can say, this is a great book, typical Brandon too. I thought it was quite slow at first, then it picked up the pace, and in the end... well you know how it goes in his books.

Major spoilers for Shadows of Self below. Don't read if you didn't read the book:

The "Bleeder impersonating the governor" reveal was a bit underwhelming since the governor was probably the most obvious guy to impersonate. Felt a bit like a cliche, but I still liked it, well explained and all. But the final reveal about Paalm being Lessie all along was bloody brilliant. I noticed something was off because out of all people, Bleeder called Waxillium by his nickname "Wax" a few times when confronting him directly (in his head during the ZoBell's party, during the governor's reveal in his study, at the bridge). After The Alloy of Law was released, Brandon said he did a very deliberate distinction in the ways of characters calling Waxillium (Wax, Waxillium, Lord Waxillium, Lord Ladrian etc) and told the readers to watch these moments. Only Wayne, Ranette and Waxillium himself were calling him "Wax", so I thought something was off with Bleeder, but I couldn't put my finger on it. And in retrospect, it made so much sense. Her knowing what Harmony should've done to avoid Lessie's death (tell Wax not to go through the tunnel but go around it instead). Her getting hold on Bloody Tan's body and bones. Her unwillingness to kill Wax or Wayne. All in all, I thought it was another one of Brandon's fantastic reveals and this one really made the book for me. I loved the post-reveal Wax scenes where he just doesn't care about anything, and the book ended on a perfectly sad note. I mean, I like a bigass epic fantasy as much as the next guy (think Hero of Ages or A Memory of Light), but it's this kind of endings that make me tear up. I thought this book was going to be underwhelming after like six chapters, and I still felt it was a bit slow even in the middle... but the ending paid off big time. Amazing.

Next up in the queue... this beauty. Damn, I'm so looking forward to it.

This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #932 on: April 28, 2016, 01:31:53 PM »
The ending to Shadows of Self was absolutely amazing.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #933 on: April 28, 2016, 03:02:01 PM »
I haven't read anything Sanderson has put out since Words of Radiance, or kept up with relevant news. Are these two continuations of Alloy of Law, or something else entirely?
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #934 on: April 28, 2016, 09:06:46 PM »

Yeah, no kidding.

Well, as semantics go, The Alloy of Law is a standalone book, while Shadows of Self and The Bands of Mourning are #1 and #2 books in Wax and Wayne trilogy (the third book is called The Lost Metal and it's coming out somewhere in 2018 or 2019, according to Brandon). But since it's featuring the same characters I think it's fair to call it a continuation of Alloy. It's very different atmosphere-wise, though.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #935 on: April 29, 2016, 02:26:40 AM »

Yeah, no kidding.

Well, as semantics go, The Alloy of Law is a standalone book, while Shadows of Self and The Bands of Mourning are #1 and #2 books in Wax and Wayne trilogy (the third book is called The Lost Metal and it's coming out somewhere in 2018 or 2019, according to Brandon). But since it's featuring the same characters I think it's fair to call it a continuation of Alloy. It's very different atmosphere-wise, though.

I loved the original Mistborn trilogy, and I've read The Alloy of Law. At the start, the change of setting to the Wild West gunslinger style with some of the familiar magical (feruchemical ?) elements was a bit jarring, but it's enjoyable once you get used to it. The banter between Wax and Wayne is great too.

Must pick up Shadows of Self soon.  :tup

Offline masterthes

« Reply #936 on: May 03, 2016, 08:09:42 PM »
Caesar by Colleen McCullough

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #937 on: May 04, 2016, 01:46:43 PM »
About to start Joe Abercrombie's Sharp Ends: Stories from the World of the First Law. Love me some Abercrombie and his First Law world!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #938 on: May 04, 2016, 02:25:14 PM »
I just started the second book of Robert Rankin's Victorian Steampunk Series: "The Mechanical Messiah and Other Marvels of the Modern Age".
Still need some of his books, but got most of them - and thouroughly enjoyed most of them. Very entertaining stuff.  :hat

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Rankin
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline jasc15

« Reply #939 on: May 07, 2016, 11:39:45 AM »
Still reading Stranger in a Strange Land and I just came across the following line:

"Faith strikes me as intellectual laziness..."

I never read this book before, and can't recall an occasion where I might have read any excerpts from it, but I've used that term many times before when debating people about religion.  Here I thought I came up with that.

Online Tomislav95

« Reply #940 on: May 07, 2016, 11:43:38 AM »
See Jane Run by Joy Fielding. Good easy-to-read thriller.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #941 on: May 07, 2016, 11:02:57 PM »
Shadow and Betrayal by Daniel Abraham, which is the first two books of The Long Price Quartet

Love Abraham's other series The Dagger and Coin and The Expanse and have heard good things about Long Price, quite liking what I have read so far.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #942 on: May 08, 2016, 12:50:24 PM »
Close To The Edge - The Story of Yes by Chris Welsh

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #943 on: May 08, 2016, 02:26:15 PM »
Kept reading it and damn, this is some impressive creative shit.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #944 on: May 08, 2016, 08:04:56 PM »
I picked up something called The Dragon's Path today. GRRM praised it and that's all the convincing I needed. It's book one in a five book series.

I also bought Black Wings of Cthulhu. It's an anthology of stories inspired by the horror-fiction master, H. P. Lovecraft. I've modeled some of my own works off his influence and must say that his stories reach deep into the darkest recesses of the human experience. They're a thing of beauty.

I'm reading The Dragon's Path first, but I can also read the anthology since the stories are a handful of pages each.