Author Topic: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings  (Read 292185 times)

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings
« Reply #665 on: November 30, 2015, 05:48:24 PM »
Has there been any more information regarding a the release of Winds of Winter? I'm too scared to google anything because I don't want spoilers from the TV show.  :lol The last I heard was an interview from GRRM a few months ago saying he was still hoping for a late 2015 release, which by now I realize is an impossibility, but an early-to-mid 2016 release could still be possible. Not holding my breath or anything though.

In September, he said that he is still writing it, and that "it will be finished when it's finished." 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #666 on: November 30, 2015, 07:27:50 PM »

Has there been any more information regarding a the release of Winds of Winter? I'm too scared to google anything because I don't want spoilers from the TV show.  :lol The last I heard was an interview from GRRM a few months ago saying he was still hoping for a late 2015 release, which by now I realize is an impossibility, but an early-to-mid 2016 release could still be possible. Not holding my breath or anything though.

In September, he said that he is still writing it, and that "it will be finished when it's finished."

:lol Good ol' George. It makes me happy that he seemingly doesn't care about his fans, and just keeps plodding at his own pace.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #667 on: December 01, 2015, 08:18:43 AM »
Finally on Insomnia by Stephen King.

Curious for your report on this one. Won't give you my thoughts at this point.
It was really slow getting going.  It eventually went from "boring" to "almost interesting" but never quite developed into "good". 

Probably would have liked it more if it wasn't quite so long.

Now on to Desperation.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #668 on: December 02, 2015, 01:08:01 AM »
Started Glamorama, by Bret Easton Ellis, a couple days ago.
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline masterthes

« Reply #669 on: December 03, 2015, 06:58:24 AM »
The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #670 on: December 03, 2015, 08:31:08 AM »
:lol Good ol' George. It makes me happy that he seemingly doesn't care about his fans, and just keeps plodding at his own pace.

He's like the Metallica of fantasy  ;D
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #671 on: December 03, 2015, 01:11:48 PM »
The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
Lovely book, the kind of kids' book adults can read and get a lot out of!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #672 on: December 03, 2015, 08:43:33 PM »
It was really slow getting going.  It eventually went from "boring" to "almost interesting" but never quite developed into "good". 

That is my memory of the book. I really wanted to like it. Even in books of his I didn't like, I am able to retain much, or at least some of the story. All I can remember from this book was Ralph had insomnia, the 3 little guys in white coats (the fates from Greek(?) mythology), and an anti-abortion rally or something like that.

I read Desperation, and hell I can remember even less from that book. Random strangers get thrown in jail by a loony cop, or someone pretending to be a cop.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline masterthes

« Reply #673 on: December 04, 2015, 06:31:32 AM »
Tak

And yeah, Graveyard Book was awesome. I hope they make it into a movie, like Coraline

Anyway, venturing into The First Man In Rome by Colleen McCullough

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #674 on: December 07, 2015, 03:37:49 AM »
Max Brooks - World War Z

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #675 on: December 09, 2015, 03:27:35 AM »
Robert Galbraith - A carreer in Evil.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #676 on: December 09, 2015, 05:44:55 AM »
Neil Gaiman - The Graveyard Book

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #677 on: December 15, 2015, 12:22:49 PM »
Last Words, by George Carlin.
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline marztacy

« Reply #678 on: December 17, 2015, 01:21:43 AM »
The Count of Monte Cristo, Alexandre Dumas

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #679 on: December 17, 2015, 08:01:10 AM »
I'm not sure how "good" Desperation was, but it was definitely more entertaining than Insomnia.

On to the companion by Richard Bachman, The Regulators.  It's a lot thinner of a book, but I am slow getting into it.  Things are starting to heat up though.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #680 on: December 17, 2015, 08:16:04 AM »
I remember loving The Regulators, but funnily enough, I can't recall a single thing about it now. It's been years.

My favorite Richard Bachman was Thinner. Now that's a story that really stuck with me.

I'm currently reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #681 on: December 17, 2015, 09:12:24 AM »
On to the companion by Richard Bachman, The Regulators.  It's a lot thinner of a book....

:neverusethis2:
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #682 on: December 17, 2015, 11:43:07 AM »
lol

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #683 on: December 20, 2015, 05:21:13 AM »
Finished World War Z and really liked it. The interview style serves well in making it look like a real documentary. But apart from the title and that it is about zombies it has almost nothing to do with the movie.

Now on to The Time Machine by H.  G.  Wells.

Offline r0cken

« Reply #684 on: December 20, 2015, 05:38:16 AM »
Just finished "Aurora" by Kim Stanley Robinson and hated every moment of it. What a tedious book.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #685 on: December 20, 2015, 12:18:50 PM »
Just finished A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms, a perfect tide-me-over until the Winds of Winter comes out, but now I'm just waiting for him to finish both series'  :lol

Now onto the Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin. I read the Lathe of Heaven a few years ago for a university course, so I'm looking forward to see if this one is as good.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #686 on: December 20, 2015, 12:24:07 PM »
Now onto the Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin. I read the Lathe of Heaven a few years ago for a university course, so I'm looking forward to see if this one is as good.

I loved Left Hand of Darkness, I think it's fantastic and one of Le Guin's best books. My personal favourite is probably The Disposessed though.

On the other hand, I didn't really care about The Lathe of Heaven, so our tastes are clearly different.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #687 on: December 20, 2015, 01:17:15 PM »
I'm currently reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman.

I almost bought that one instead of The Graveyard Book. I know TGB is more for children but I was seriously curious about how to changed The Jungle Book story around.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #688 on: December 21, 2015, 12:43:16 PM »
Just finished "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince." Snape killed Dumbledore!  :eek  Which I have been waiting for impatiently, since it is really the only thing about the whole Potter saga I knew about.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #689 on: December 22, 2015, 06:36:52 AM »
The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood

Online kaos2900

« Reply #690 on: December 22, 2015, 06:43:53 AM »
Reading the Bazaar of Bad Dreams by Stephen King. A few of the stories I've already read, but the vast majority are new or have been rewritten/revised. About a quarter of the way through and all of the stories have been good. The Bad Little Kid is King at his creepy best. Reminded me a lot of It in a way.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #691 on: December 22, 2015, 06:44:23 AM »
Just finished part 2 of 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami. Need to get myself the third and last part.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #692 on: December 22, 2015, 01:00:39 PM »
Just finished part 2 of 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami. Need to get myself the third and last part.
I'm looking forwards to reading your impressions on it  :smiley:

Offline Sub Luna Vitrea

• literally Emma Goldman
  • go team
« Reply #693 on: December 22, 2015, 03:23:36 PM »
Just finished "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince." Snape killed Dumbledore!  :eek  Which I have been waiting for impatiently, since it is really the only thing about the whole Potter saga I knew about.

i bought that book the night it came out, finished reading it a few days later. i'm so glad it wasn't spoiled for me. people are terrible.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #694 on: December 22, 2015, 11:48:31 PM »
The Time Machine was much shorter than I remebered, maybe I had some scenes from the movie in my mind.

Now on to another classic form my youth: Mark Twain - The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huckelberry Finn

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #695 on: December 24, 2015, 10:19:16 PM »
The Dark Half, by Stephen King.
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #696 on: December 27, 2015, 02:51:00 AM »
Alice  adventures in wonderland by Lewis Carrol. I for some reason red a lot about this Book on the internet lately so I was quite curious. I am about halfway through and actually really enjoying it so far. It is illogical and random but somehow still quite logical, if that makes sense. The only thing I do not like are the senteces between brackets (they seem a little unnecesary and break up the story). But that's nitpicking, it's a very interesting read
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #697 on: December 27, 2015, 10:01:36 AM »
That is one of my absolute favorite books. It's brilliance is overshadowed only by its surrealness. Read Through The Looking Glass next.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #698 on: December 31, 2015, 05:17:33 AM »
Bazaar of bad dreams by Stephen King.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #699 on: December 31, 2015, 11:13:38 AM »
I've got 4 books out from the library right now:

The Camera by Ansel Adams.  I am about half way through where he is now talking about composition and technique, which is much more relevant than much of the beginning of the book that talked mainly about equipment that is mostly out of date at this point, however some of it, like optics, is fundamental and still relevant.

Devil Take the Hindmost by Edward Chancellor. A history of financial speculation which I haven't made much progress on.  I might not finish it.

Spinoza in 90 minutes by Paul Strathern.  As the title suggests it was a quick read, but I'm not sure I know much more than before.  My main interest in Spinoza is his characterization of God, which is that he is simply the universe.  That he is not a thinking or feeling God, and is simply everything around us.  I've had this idea that God is the laws of nature, and is unthinking and unfeeling, not like the God of most religions.  As usual, I find that most ideas I have are already well discussed and written about.

It Can't Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis.  I just started this book.  I've read this quote, which apparently is misattributed to Lewis, but seems to reflect the plot of the book:

“When and if fascism comes to America it will not be labeled ‘made in Germany’; it will not be marked with a swastika; it will not even be called fascism; it will be called, of course, ‘Americanism'”