Author Topic: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings  (Read 291280 times)

Offline Jarlaxle

Re: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings
« Reply #385 on: March 13, 2015, 01:56:54 PM »
After finishing A Dance With Dragons about a month ago I haven't felt the desire to read. I started a new book and was like "this isn't as good as ASOIAF" and haven't been able to get back into reading since.
Get Joe Abercrombie's The First Law trilogy and you won't be saying that!

I've heard a lot about it, perhaps I will.

Has anyone read Steven Erickson's (sp?) Malazan Book of the Fallen series? I've heard it is incredible, and finished, so I wouldn't have to wait 14 years for the last 2 books to come out.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #386 on: March 13, 2015, 09:26:19 PM »
Never read it, but haven't heard anything but praise for it, so it should be really good. This great site has some really nice recommendations on fantasy, including Erickson's series.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #387 on: March 13, 2015, 09:36:59 PM »
I've read the first few Malazan books. They're definitely impressive, but it's a tough read. They are about a million characters and a million things going on at once, and Erikson will explain exactly none of them to you.

I mean, they're worth reading, but you gotta be prepared for that stuff.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #388 on: March 13, 2015, 11:38:23 PM »
Cool. I think I might move on to that next. Also, thanks for that website!

Offline masterthes

« Reply #389 on: March 14, 2015, 10:09:50 AM »
Continuing with the Pratchett-thon and reading The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents

Offline masterthes

« Reply #390 on: March 17, 2015, 07:36:57 AM »
On to Night Watch

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #391 on: March 17, 2015, 07:48:56 AM »
:tup

I think I'm going to do a bit of a re-read of lots of Discworld books. Most of my reading I do on my Kindle while commuting to and from work, but I usually have an actual book for any reading I do at home. For that, I recently finished Neil Gaiman's The Ocean at the End of the Lane (which was lovely) and so I think I'll intersperse other books with Discworld books, starting from the beginning.

Also want to re-read Nation at some point as that was excellent too.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #392 on: March 20, 2015, 05:23:01 AM »
The Wee Free Men

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #393 on: March 20, 2015, 10:37:19 AM »
After finishing A Dance With Dragons about a month ago I haven't felt the desire to read. I started a new book and was like "this isn't as good as ASOIAF" and haven't been able to get back into reading since.
Get Joe Abercrombie's The First Law trilogy and you won't be saying that!

I've heard a lot about it, perhaps I will.

Has anyone read Steven Erickson's (sp?) Malazan Book of the Fallen series? I've heard it is incredible, and finished, so I wouldn't have to wait 14 years for the last 2 books to come out.

Erikson is my favorite fantasy writer, so, yeah, I've read it. Interestingly Erikson produced those books on a yearly schedule, amazingly enough-he's since said he's never doing that again, and is putting out books about every two or so years now. It's a fantastic series, but there are a ton of characters, it can be very over the top at times, and there are plot threads that seemingly disappear but are actually picked up in the books written by the co-creator of the Malazan world (they originally invented it as a gaming setting) Ian Esselmont. You can just read the ten books of the books by Erikson and be just fine, but it's a very long slog, and fair warning, more than a few people were disappointed by the last book, myself included. But they're worth the investment in time.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #394 on: March 20, 2015, 09:20:30 PM »
Finished No god but God, now reading Lolita.

The things I’ve heard about it were accurate. Messed up content, exquisite prose.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #395 on: March 21, 2015, 12:01:49 AM »
Ok, I'm in the middle of Guards! Guards!, and I'm quite enjoying it. I should read the English version though - I'm sure lots of jokes get lost on the translation.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #396 on: March 21, 2015, 05:34:54 AM »
Ok, I'm in the middle of Guards! Guards!, and I'm quite enjoying it. I should read the English version though - I'm sure lots of jokes get lost on the translation.
If your English is good (which I expect it is based on your posts here) then I think an author like Pratchett is best read in the original English. So much of the joy in reading his books comes from the wit and humour in his language.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #397 on: March 21, 2015, 10:09:45 AM »
Now I'm reading Neil Gaiman's new one, Trigger Warning. Some really great stories in there.

Finished No god but God, now reading Lolita.

The things I’ve heard about it were accurate. Messed up content, exquisite prose.

Oh god, so gorgeous! Nabokov is amazing. I've been meaning to re-read that one as it's been maybe 12 years (I read it when I did a project on him in high school). I recently read Ada, or Ardor which took a while to get into (and took forever to read) but was also gorgeous.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #398 on: March 21, 2015, 11:48:12 AM »
This is the first Nabokov I'm reading. I've heard good things about Lolita for a long time, but finally checked it out because I recently read and loved Ulysses, and have seen people mention it in the same sentence with that.

The comparison is miles off, but it's still great in it's own right so far. The style of the writing reminds me a lot of The Great Gatsby.

Offline adace

« Reply #399 on: March 22, 2015, 02:10:32 AM »
Empire Rising by Rick Campbell. An amazingly well-written military thriller. Very hard to put down!

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #400 on: March 22, 2015, 02:28:04 PM »
Finished The outfit by "Richard Stark" the other day.

Right now I'm in the middle of The Bad Seed by William March
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline masterthes

« Reply #401 on: March 22, 2015, 05:18:49 PM »
Monstrous Regiment is up next

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #402 on: March 24, 2015, 02:24:08 PM »
Isaac Asimov's Guide to Science.

It's a straight forward summary of what is known in science as of its writing in 1972.  It is pretty detailed, explaining what we know and how we came to know it.  I haven't taken the time to see what problems have been solved since then.  I did check the problem of the reverse rotation of Venus as compared to the other planets, and there is still not a much better explanation.  Something I found interesting is that Helium was discovered on the Sun 30 years before it was discovered on Earth.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #403 on: March 24, 2015, 08:37:13 PM »
Just got done with Joe Abercrombie's Best Served Cold another great book from him! Best way I can describe the book is: a revenge/thriller story in a fantasy setting.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 10:45:33 PM by Dimitrius »
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #404 on: March 26, 2015, 01:13:52 AM »
The Andromeda Strain, by Michael Crichton. Before that it was Dreamcatcher, by Stephen King.
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline masterthes

« Reply #405 on: March 26, 2015, 09:16:39 AM »
A Hat Full Of Sky

Offline Zeltar

• Have a drink, it'll make me look younger.
« Reply #406 on: March 26, 2015, 10:33:51 AM »
Just finished reading A Dance With Dragons. Excellent, excellent book. Can't wait to see how all of the storylines are resolved in The Winds of Winter.

Also, about the last Wall chapter...WHAT THE FUCK. SERIOUSLY, WHAT THE HELL. EU TU, BOWEN?! That's exactly what I was afraid of when Jon was letting all the wildlings through. He was totally right; if they let them die, they'll all become wights. But he never made sure all his men were on board. When you have so much of a former enemy that they outnumber you, your men will be restless. Add the food shortage on top of that, and you have a snake pit for rebellion. I doubt he's dead though. Maybe this is setting him up to resurrect and become the Night's King??

Offline Zeltar

« Reply #407 on: March 26, 2015, 10:34:22 AM »
Just finished reading A Dance With Dragons. Excellent, excellent book. Can't wait to see how all of the storylines are resolved in The Winds of Winter.

Also, about the last Wall chapter...WHAT THE FUCK. SERIOUSLY, WHAT THE HELL. EU TU, BOWEN?! That's exactly what I was afraid of when Jon was letting all the wildlings through. He was totally right; if they let them all die, they'll all become wights. But he never made sure all his men were on board. When you have so much of a former enemy that they outnumber you, your men will be restless. Add the food shortage on top of that, and you have a snake pit for rebellion. I doubt he's dead though. Maybe this is setting him up to resurrect and become the Night's King??

EDIT:Not sure how this post happened. My bad.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 10:46:49 AM by Zeltar »

Offline adace

« Reply #408 on: March 29, 2015, 04:33:32 AM »
Just finished The Troop by Nick Cutter. Holy crap, that was INTENSE. Easily one of the scariest horror novels I've read. Very Stephen King-esque prose with vivid, highly disturbing imagery. Would recommend this to hardcore horror fans.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #409 on: March 29, 2015, 08:19:17 AM »

Also, about the last Wall chapter...WHAT THE FUCK. SERIOUSLY, WHAT THE HELL. EU TU, BOWEN?! That's exactly what I was afraid of when Jon was letting all the wildlings through. He was totally right; if they let them die, they'll all become wights. But he never made sure all his men were on board. When you have so much of a former enemy that they outnumber you, your men will be restless. Add the food shortage on top of that, and you have a snake pit for rebellion. I doubt he's dead though. Maybe this is setting him up to resurrect and become the Night's King??
Or just making him another candidate for the Azor Ahai title. Jon's wounds smoke while Bowen Marsh cries (smoke and salt), Ser Patrek's heraldy is a star and he's in the air as it's happening (and the star is red with his blood) and Jon has had dreams where he's fighting the Others with a burning sword in his hand.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 08:29:21 AM by Dimitrius »
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #410 on: March 29, 2015, 09:41:03 PM »
Just finished The Troop by Nick Cutter. Holy crap, that was INTENSE. Easily one of the scariest horror novels I've read. Very Stephen King-esque prose with vivid, highly disturbing imagery. Would recommend this to hardcore horror fans.

Definitely check out his other book, The Deep.  It's not the greatest story, but it is freaky as hell. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline adace

« Reply #411 on: March 29, 2015, 11:10:45 PM »

Definitely check out his other book, The Deep.  It's not the greatest story, but it is freaky as hell.
Definitely will. Gonna pick it up from my library later this week.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #412 on: March 30, 2015, 01:48:20 PM »
I'm reading Shatner Rules by William Shatner (with Chris Regan).  Holy shit, this is hilarious.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #413 on: March 31, 2015, 01:20:17 AM »
American Psycho, by Bret Easton Ellis.
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #414 on: March 31, 2015, 07:06:02 AM »
Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth by Reza Aslan

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #415 on: March 31, 2015, 03:47:49 PM »
Weaveworld by clive barker
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #416 on: April 01, 2015, 12:03:47 AM »
I bought a first edition of that a few weeks ago (and read it a couple years ago). Brought it into work today for a co-worker read. Hope you enjoy. Clive Barker is a favourite of mine.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 02:10:04 AM by WDADU »
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #417 on: April 01, 2015, 01:47:35 AM »
Reading the english translation of the Last Ringbearer, basically an LOTR fan-fic. A couple people here recommended it, but I am having a tremendously hard time getting into it. I am about a third of the way in and and contemplating shelving it, something I have only done a few times in my life.

Offline Zeltar

« Reply #418 on: April 02, 2015, 01:15:51 AM »

Or just making him another candidate for the Azor Ahai title. Jon's wounds smoke while Bowen Marsh cries (smoke and salt), Ser Patrek's heraldy is a star and he's in the air as it's happening (and the star is red with his blood) and Jon has had dreams where he's fighting the Others with a burning sword in his hand.
Wow, yeah. I've read theories about Dany's vision in the House of the Undying of the blue flower growing out of the wall suggesting that R+J really does = J, and that connecting him even more to fire and Azor Ahai. I've been spending hours reading fan theories ever since I finished to hold me over until April 12, lol. The stuff some people come up with makes me wish I wasn't four years old when the first book was written :lol some of these guys have clearly read the books at least 5-6 times.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #419 on: April 02, 2015, 06:48:14 AM »
Anyone ever heard of Peter Orullian? 

I was at Comicon and went up to Keven J Anderson's booth... (he signed the Clockwork Angels companion book I bought as well as a reprint of an older book based on Grace Under Pressure called Resurrection Inc) ...and I got to talking with this other guy (Peter Orullian, as it turned out) at his booth because we started talking prog rock and metal.   We hit it off pretty well and traded contact info.  I figured he was one of Kevin's "minions".   But then 10 minutes later I walk by a big poster of him promoting his new book!   I went back to the booth and jokingly said, "You jerk! Why didn't you tell you tell me you were an author??"   :lol     I bought a copy of his first book called The Unremembered and it's actually REALLY REALLY good!   I'm only a few chapters in, but I'm really enjoying it so far.  Anyone else here familiar with his work?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude