Author Topic: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings  (Read 291267 times)

Offline masterthes

Re: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings
« Reply #3710 on: April 08, 2022, 07:32:41 PM »
Going into some nonfiction with Music is History by Questlove

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3711 on: April 10, 2022, 08:52:46 PM »
Some thoughts from my journey to The Dark Tower (as I said earlier, I read this series maybe a decade ago.) 

The Gunslinger: So hard to evaluate this. There is some good stuff, I really enjoy when Roland is in Tull. The rest is a bit of a snooze.

The Drawing of the Three: I remembered the drawing of Eddie being one of my favorite King sections in any book/series, and reading this again did not change that opinion. Once he is drawn I found the parts with Susanna and Jack Mort less interesting. 

The Waste Lands: I had very little memory of this book, and reading it again, understand why. Very little of it is memorable. Jack was my least favorite member of the Ka-tet, and committing so much time to his drawing after the majority of the preceding book was devoted to the drawing of Eddie and Susanna felt like a bit of a waste. The second half of the book was a chore to get through. Once Gasher took Jake, it was me just thinking SAVE HIM ALREADY AND MOVE ON! I didn't care about the Grays, the Pubes, or River Crossing, or any of it.

I recall Wizard and Glass was a tremendous experience (and I don't use that word often when talking about a book) and I want to go in to that one after a little break.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #3712 on: April 10, 2022, 09:00:06 PM »
Can't really argue with any of your assessments.  The Tull section is among my favorites in the whole series,  but there's a reason i don't usually read that entry in my re-read journeys. The only part of Waste Lands that really irritates me is the drawing at the beginning.  I feel it's too drawn out. 100+ pages to get Jake into the story? Screw you, Stephen. Screw you.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3713 on: April 11, 2022, 08:08:56 PM »
So, I'm a glutton for punishment. After four years, I'm going to try once again to read Against the Day by Thomas Pynchon. I'm off for Spring Break, so I have a lot of free time to spend with it 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3714 on: April 12, 2022, 02:21:36 PM »
Render Unto Caesar: The Struggle Over Christ and Culture in the New Testament by John Dominic Crossan
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #3715 on: April 12, 2022, 02:45:01 PM »

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3716 on: April 13, 2022, 09:08:58 AM »
That being said, next up is Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky

That was curious. I went in blind and it wasn't the kind of sci-fi I usually read. I had no idea in which direction this'll go. I'll check out the second book in the duology soon.

Royal Assassin by Robin Hobb
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3717 on: April 13, 2022, 08:59:48 PM »
Okay, no more post modernism, or at least Pynchon, for this guy. Back to some fantasy. Trying out Black Sun Rising by C.S. Friedman

Btw, Children of Time's now going to be a trilogy

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3718 on: April 14, 2022, 09:30:25 AM »
Btw, Children of Time's now going to be a trilogy

Curious, I didn't know that! Then again I knew nothing about the author and the book when I bought it. :)
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #3719 on: April 14, 2022, 09:47:43 AM »
Just finished Emily St. John Mandel's latest, Sea of Tranquility.

Longtime fans will likely love it, but for anyone who just watched the HBO series Station Eleven, her new book is great point of entry for her writing.

Offline Spider In The Sky

« Reply #3720 on: April 16, 2022, 09:16:43 AM »
THE COUNT OF

Monte Cristo

:p

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3721 on: April 20, 2022, 02:50:47 PM »
Okay, no more post modernism, or at least Pynchon, for this guy. Back to some fantasy. Trying out Black Sun Rising by C.S. Friedman

Had a strong beginning, but it seemed to lag a bit towards the second half. I definitely enjoyed the two main characters. I may read the second book, but not right now. After that, decided to go with nonfiction and read Imagination Illustrated: The Jim Henson Journal by Karen Falk. Highly recommend if you're a fan of his, but get it in a physical copy. I read it for the Kindle and it was not the right medium. Now, I'm reading TV (the Book): Two Experts Pick the Greatest American Shows of All Time by Alan Sepinwall and Matt Zoller Seitz

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3722 on: April 22, 2022, 07:19:34 AM »
Mighty Marvel Masterworks: The Avengers Volume 1 by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3723 on: April 22, 2022, 12:20:22 PM »
The Elder Gods by David & Leigh Eddings

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3724 on: April 24, 2022, 08:19:17 AM »
Getting introduced to Drizzt with Homeland by R.A. Salvatore

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3725 on: April 25, 2022, 11:58:37 AM »
The Chancellor Manuscript by Robert Ludlum

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3726 on: April 25, 2022, 02:07:28 PM »
Moving on to the next book, Exile

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3727 on: April 28, 2022, 01:34:19 PM »
Finishing up the trilogy with Sojourn

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3728 on: May 02, 2022, 06:37:23 AM »
Rereading Lord of Chaos by Robert Jordan

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3729 on: May 02, 2022, 08:43:58 AM »
City of Bones by Michael Connelly

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3730 on: May 04, 2022, 05:58:32 AM »
Age of Swords - Michael J Sullivan

In fact, over the past couple of months, I've read eight of his books. Both of his Riyria series are great fun. It's rare to find a fantasy author who makes me laugh consistently without getting overly campy.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3731 on: May 06, 2022, 01:11:40 PM »
Better Off Dead by Lee Child and Andrew Child

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3732 on: May 06, 2022, 02:42:36 PM »
The Godfather by Mario Puzo
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #3733 on: May 08, 2022, 02:36:04 PM »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3734 on: May 08, 2022, 03:16:44 PM »
Finished that recently, thoughts above. About 1/4 in to Wizard and Glass now.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3735 on: May 10, 2022, 01:54:06 PM »
Some thoughts from my journey to The Dark Tower (as I said earlier, I read this series maybe a decade ago.) 

The Gunslinger: So hard to evaluate this. There is some good stuff, I really enjoy when Roland is in Tull. The rest is a bit of a snooze.

The Drawing of the Three: I remembered the drawing of Eddie being one of my favorite King sections in any book/series, and reading this again did not change that opinion. Once he is drawn I found the parts with Susanna and Jack Mort less interesting. 

The Waste Lands: I had very little memory of this book, and reading it again, understand why. Very little of it is memorable. Jack was my least favorite member of the Ka-tet, and committing so much time to his drawing after the majority of the preceding book was devoted to the drawing of Eddie and Susanna felt like a bit of a waste. The second half of the book was a chore to get through. Once Gasher took Jake, it was me just thinking SAVE HIM ALREADY AND MOVE ON! I didn't care about the Grays, the Pubes, or River Crossing, or any of it.

I recall Wizard and Glass was a tremendous experience (and I don't use that word often when talking about a book) and I want to go in to that one after a little break.

For me, each time I run through it, I come up with almost the exact opposite view  :lol.  Outside of Eddie's drawing (and Eddie's character in general as I love him almost as much as I love Larry Underwood), Drawing is a bit of a snooze for me.  The constant trips back and forth across the beach make me weary (maybe that's what King was going for) and Suzannah's drawing is a bit drawn-out (pun intended). 

Wastelands is my second favorite volume of the story (behind Wolves).  River Crossing is one of my favorite parts of the story (Talitha giving Roland the cross gets me every time) and the journey through Lud to Blaine's Cradle paints a general post-humanity picture that's quite gripping for me.  Oy cements himself as one of my favorites in this volume as well and makes what happens to him later a tough swallow for me personally.

Wizard and Glass is a strange one for me... the beginning and ending are very memorable for me, as is the younger Roland's entrance into Susan's world (the name of the town escapes me...).  However, the middle portion of the volume (from the initial fight at the tavern to Roland's encounter with the snake lets say) bores me greatly.  King saves this by having the final battles build and finish in a very satisfying way, but that volume is a slog for me.  Funny how different we all are.

I was immensely satisfied with the ending of the story (an unpopular opinion I think) as I didn't really see any way for King to end it other than the way he did.  It made sense to me. 

As to what I'm reading/listening to, Audible tells me that HPL (Necronomicon), Brian Lumley (Necroscope), and Haidt & Lukianoff (Coddling of the American Mind) are my top three currently.  I'm seeming to have an issue letting go of HPL... he's scratching my fiction itch right now and has been for about two years.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3736 on: May 12, 2022, 07:24:02 PM »
After eleven days, finally moving on to something new: Legends & Lattes by Travis Baldree

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3737 on: May 14, 2022, 01:25:34 PM »
 taking advantage of my Kindle Unlimited subscription and reading Killing Patton by Bill O'Reilly

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3738 on: May 14, 2022, 06:29:07 PM »
I'm not a book reader at all, but I just finished this book.  First full book I've read since probably primary school;

Inspirational.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #3739 on: May 14, 2022, 10:42:40 PM »
I think I've come across 6 or 7 editing misses in DT3. Simple things like missing apostrophes or, in one case,  an actor's name referenced differently in consecutive paragraphs (Marshall Dillion/Matt Dillon).  I would think an editor should catch this stuff. It's literally in their job title

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3740 on: May 14, 2022, 11:35:49 PM »
Matt Dillon was the Marshall on Gunsmoke.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #3741 on: May 15, 2022, 07:34:35 AM »
Matt Dillon was the Marshall on Gunsmoke.
Lol.  Ok, that one makes sense now

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3742 on: May 15, 2022, 09:29:00 AM »
In a 100 years King's books are going to have to be annotated to hell and back with all the pop culture references readers in 2122 aren't going to get.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3743 on: May 16, 2022, 09:52:33 AM »
The Triumph of Christianity: How A Forbidden Religion Swept The World by Bart D. Ehrman

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3744 on: May 18, 2022, 04:21:53 AM »
The Good Wife of Bath by Karen Brooks