Author Topic: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings  (Read 291087 times)

Offline masterthes

Re: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings
« Reply #3675 on: February 25, 2022, 06:22:30 AM »
Gwendy's Magic Feather by Richard Chizmar

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3676 on: February 25, 2022, 08:14:05 AM »
Now rereading The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith

Forgot to update on that, I reread all the books in the series in preparation for The Ink Black Heart in August.

Been saving this for my birthday as I loved the first book but also forgot to update on that, started A Desolation Called Peace by Arkady Martine a week ago
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3677 on: February 25, 2022, 08:03:38 PM »
Now reading Tales of the Greatcoats, Volume 1 by Sebastien de Castell. The Greatcoats series was the best thing I read in 2017, so I'm excited to be reading this

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3678 on: February 26, 2022, 05:32:01 PM »
First, that Greatcoats anthology was great. I can't wait to read his new book. Now reading Gwendy's Final Task by Stephen King & Richard Chizmar

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3679 on: February 27, 2022, 06:01:13 PM »
I hate to say it, but that was my least favorite of the trilogy. It was still good, but not as good as the first two. Anyway, that was my last book for February, because I'm getting an early start on The Shadow Rising by Robert Jordan

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3680 on: February 28, 2022, 09:58:34 PM »
Might take a second journey to Stephen King's Dark Tower. Seem to recall reading it when my oldest (almost 11) was born. Something about being awake with her at 3am and reading it when I was half asleep sticks out in my mind. Some portions of the book are much hazier in my memory than others.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #3681 on: March 01, 2022, 06:35:08 AM »
Might take a second journey to Stephen King's Dark Tower. Seem to recall reading it when my oldest (almost 11) was born. Something about being awake with her at 3am and reading it when I was half asleep sticks out in my mind. Some portions of the book are much hazier in my memory than others.
Absolutely do this.  The series got better for me with each read.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3682 on: March 01, 2022, 09:52:34 AM »

+100... I always found new things to take away from it.  I end up going through it every 3-4 years... Audible makes it easy to listen whilst doing yard work in the Spring and Summer.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3683 on: March 01, 2022, 01:16:12 PM »
Same.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3684 on: March 06, 2022, 03:40:04 PM »
TSR is done: six days it took me this time, nine days less than when I read it in 2019. I've resolved not to read New Spring and wait until April to read Fires of Heaven. Now, reading The Library of the Unwritten by A.J. Hackwith (potentially being my trilogy for the month) 

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3685 on: March 09, 2022, 09:44:53 AM »
The first book was just alright for me, not interested in continuing with the series. Moving on to Jean-Christophe by Romain Rolland

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3686 on: March 13, 2022, 07:49:36 AM »
This was a big bust, so instead I ended up reading Luke Skywalker Can't Read: And Other Geeky Truths by Ryan Britt, which was a fun, short read. Now reading, what I hope will be a fun sci-fi adventure Bluebird by Ciel Pierlot

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #3687 on: March 13, 2022, 08:01:49 AM »
Petit Chaperon Rouge by Sonia Alain

I've noticed that my library has the books in this collection labeled as "teen". Either they can't read french or google an english synopsis; or teens are reading some dark, dark shit these days. The last book was full of violence, rape, and murder. This book is trending in the same direction.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3688 on: March 13, 2022, 02:44:57 PM »
Mighty Marvel Masterworks: The Mighty Thor Volume 1 by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3689 on: March 14, 2022, 09:06:24 AM »
Mighty Marvel Masterworks: Doctor Strange Volume 1 by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3690 on: March 15, 2022, 06:25:40 AM »
Chapterhouse: Dune by Frank Herbert

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3691 on: March 15, 2022, 07:43:16 PM »
Bluebird was a lot of fun. Highly recommend if you are into some light space opera. Now, for Women's History Month, I'm reading James Tiptree Jr: The Double Life of Alice B. Sheldon by Julie Phillips. I have never read any of her stories yet btw

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3692 on: March 16, 2022, 12:29:25 PM »
Been saving this for my birthday as I loved the first book but also forgot to update on that, started A Desolation Called Peace by Arkady Martine a week ago

Man, the first book was much better. This had some interesting ideas and beautiful imagery, but the whole thing felt a little bit off somehow. I somewhat liked this book but it doesn't hold a candle to the first one.

Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3693 on: March 17, 2022, 08:23:42 PM »

Finished that a couple weeks ago. Looking forward to your thoughts.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3694 on: March 20, 2022, 06:41:36 AM »
So, the Tiptree bio was a bust. It's less than 400 pages and in four days I wasn't even halfway done, not a good sign. Instead, going back to fiction to read The Love Songs of W.E.B. Dubois by Honoree Fannone Jeffers

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #3695 on: March 24, 2022, 08:11:22 AM »
Meh. Why not?

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3696 on: March 25, 2022, 04:55:48 PM »
going back to fiction to read The Love Songs of W.E.B. Dubois by Honoree Fannone Jeffers
This was just okay for me. I don't think it needed to be as long as it was. Was definitely annoyed by a lot of the main character's actions. The older sister's story was very sad and predictable. The writing style was very beautiful and kept me engaged (which is how I ended up finishing an 800 page book in less than a week) and the great uncle was my favorite character. Reading Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3697 on: March 27, 2022, 03:07:35 PM »
My best response to Annihilation would be meh. Ona much better note, I just finished Adrian Tchaikovsky's newest Ogres, which I thought was excellent. Now, reading Bowie's Bookshelf: The Hundred Books that Changed David Bowie's Life by John O'Connell

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3698 on: March 27, 2022, 06:03:46 PM »
My best response to Annihilation would be meh.

Mine as well. Thought it started out strong, but after the first third it lost my interest.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3699 on: March 28, 2022, 12:42:34 PM »

Finished that a couple weeks ago. Looking forward to your thoughts.

Finished that one. I'm... not sure what to make of this book. It read as a classic fantasy but it was very slow and there was almost nothing to show for the slow pace. Well, the prose was very good, but that's about it. Most of the characters felt a bit flat, including the protagonist. It also seemed to me the protagonist's choices didn't quite matter. I quite liked the dilemma about Rurisk and was looking forward to how the hero resolves it but then what happened happened. I think maybe I just had high expectations after the Liveships Trilogy. Well, I bought the whole trilogy so I'll finish it and hopefully the next two books are a little bit more up my alley.

That being said, next up is Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3700 on: March 28, 2022, 01:36:14 PM »
While the other books go into a very interesting direction, it was certainly a bit of a chore to get through them. At least the Fool is an amazing character but the rest I don't even remember.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3701 on: March 29, 2022, 07:40:55 AM »
Mighty Marvel Masterworks: The Amazing Spider-Man Volume 1 by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3702 on: March 29, 2022, 01:40:53 PM »
Finishing out the month with We Sold Our Souls by Grady Hendrix

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3703 on: March 30, 2022, 01:16:01 PM »
Finishing out the month with We Sold Our Souls by Grady Hendrix
My second favorite of his fiction so far (Exorcism is still tops, but just barely). Anyway, done with my March reading and starting my reread of The Fires of Heaven by Robert Jordan

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3704 on: April 01, 2022, 03:56:30 AM »
My wrap up for the month

A Little Spin of Divinity by Jacob White 3/4

The Shadow Rising by Robert Jordan 2/27 - 3/6 ****

The Library of the Unwritten by A.J. Hackworth 3/6 - 3/8 ***

Luke Skywalker Can’t Read: And Other Geeky Truths by Ryan Britt 3/12 ****

Bluebird by Ciel Pierlot 3/13 - 3/15 *****

The Love Songs of W.E.B. Dubois by Honoree Fannone Jefffers 3/20 - 3/25 ***

Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer 3/25 - 3/27 ***

Ogres by Adrian Tchaikovsky 3/27 *****

Bowie’s Bookshelf: The Hundred Books That Changed David Bowie’s Life by John O’Connell 3/27 - 3/29 ****

We Sold Our Souls by Grady Hendrix 3/29 - 3/30 ****

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3705 on: April 01, 2022, 07:54:47 AM »
Camino Winds by John Grisham

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3706 on: April 06, 2022, 05:28:18 PM »
Now reading The Kaiju Preservation Society by John Scalzi. I read his Redshirts back in 2014 and loved it, so I'm hoping for the same reaction here

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #3707 on: April 07, 2022, 04:40:34 PM »
I'm reading Los Detectives Salvajes by Roberto Bolaño to practice my Spanish, alongside the English translation (The Savage Detectives). I can only manage a few paragraphs a day because I'm constantly flipping back and forth to learn new words, but man, this is a great book. I highly recommend it.

Also reading Middlemarch (George Eliot) and The Unconsoled (Kazuo Ishiguro)
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3708 on: April 08, 2022, 10:10:14 AM »
God & Empire: Jesus Against Rome, Then and Now by John Dominic Crossan

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3709 on: April 08, 2022, 01:15:24 PM »
Meh. Why not?

Like sitting down with an old friend... and a pot of beans... and Zolton.  I'll likely jump back to these this year as well; it's been two years or so.

Brian Lumley: A Coven of Vampires
Haidt & Lukianoff: The Coddling of the American Mind
The Treasury of David (Spurgeon on Psalm 119; I treat this like a reference/concordance; it's not a read-through for me)
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar