Author Topic: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings  (Read 291188 times)

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
Re: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings
« Reply #3640 on: February 01, 2022, 09:56:45 AM »
:dunno:

IMO, they're so good that it's worth it.

Agreed. Name of the Wind was one of the best stories I've read. Even as an incomplete story it's worth reading. That being said, I haven't read Wise Man's Fear specifically because the third book isn't written, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #3641 on: February 01, 2022, 04:12:29 PM »
Yeah, I mean honestly very little has actually happened in the books so far, so the overarcing plot isn't really the appeal of the series.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3642 on: February 01, 2022, 06:21:51 PM »
Went from Name of the Wind to the first book of The Wheel of Time, about 20% in so far and its pretty slow paced for me. Things are finally happening, so I'm going to stick with it. Lots of world and lore building.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3643 on: February 02, 2022, 05:00:26 AM »
I wish you luck. Wheel of Time isn't easy.

I was determined to get through it to, a) to find out what the TV show was getting in for, b) to see how Sanderson brought it home (since I like him quite a bit as a writer). About midway through the series I had to switch to Audiobooks in order in order to keep awake.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3644 on: February 02, 2022, 05:46:19 AM »

I was determined to get through it to, a) to find out what the TV show was getting in for, b) to see how Sanderson brought it home (since I like him quite a bit as a writer). About midway through the series I had to switch to Audiobooks in order in order to keep awake.

I was able to make it through The Stormlight Archive books, and some of those were a slog lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3645 on: February 02, 2022, 05:50:25 AM »

I was able to make it through The Stormlight Archive books, and some of those were a slog lol

My wife says the same thing about Stormlight (except for the first book) but I never found it a chore.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3646 on: February 02, 2022, 05:58:58 AM »

My wife says the same thing about Stormlight (except for the first book) but I never found it a chore.

I def put WOK on top. The remaining book are like 5/8ths of these people are here doing this, those people are there doing that, lots of chatter... then BOOM battle or some major action for the rest of the book.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3647 on: February 02, 2022, 06:00:17 AM »

I def put WOK on top. The remaining book are like 5/8ths of these people are here doing this, those people are there doing that, lots of chatter... then BOOM battle or some major action for the rest of the book.

A yes, the famous Brandavalanche!  :lol

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3648 on: February 02, 2022, 07:42:23 AM »

A yes, the famous Brandavalanche!  :lol

It has a name?! Lol good to know

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3649 on: February 02, 2022, 08:20:02 AM »
It varies, on reddit it's Sanderlanche. :)

I thought Rhythm of War was a slog. The rest three I wouldn't call a slog, in fact Way of Kings is my favourite book from him. Wheel of Time however was a total slog in the middle of the series. I don't remember the exact book but somewhere around 9th or 10th installment it was just extremely slow.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3650 on: February 02, 2022, 08:28:15 AM »

I thought Rhythm of War was a slog. The rest three I wouldn't call a slog, in fact Way of Kings is my favourite book from him. Wheel of Time however was a total slog in the middle of the series. I don't remember the exact book but somewhere around 9th or 10th installment it was just extremely slow.

The ONE time I don’t look at how many books are in a series lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3651 on: February 02, 2022, 08:29:59 AM »
Hmmm, Rhythm of War is right up there with The Way of Kings for me. I loved getting the point of view of the Singers and some resolution to Kaladin and Shallan archs. I also enjoyed the Navani chapters. *shrug*

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3652 on: February 02, 2022, 08:35:41 AM »
Well it is DTF, why not a ranking lmao
1 way of kings
2 rhythm of war
3 oathbringer
4 words of radiance

I did very much enjoy the novellas but they don’t compare in length or trudginess

Edit- I think the lack of Jasna really impacted WoR

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3653 on: February 02, 2022, 08:47:27 AM »
Well it is DTF, why not a ranking lmao
1 way of kings
2 rhythm of war
3 oathbringer
4 words of radiance

Yeah, that would be my ranking as well.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3654 on: February 02, 2022, 08:50:14 AM »
The Way of Kings

Oathbringer
Words of Radiance

Rhythm of War

Oathbringer is ahead of WoR only because of amazing flashback chapters.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3655 on: February 09, 2022, 01:18:27 PM »
Ending up reading the first Deluxe volume of the Superman Rebirth arc. I am enjoying it for the most part, although I wasn't that fond of the Damian/Robin issues (I'm not a fan of him in general). Will be most likely reading volume 2 this weekend.

Finished my third reading of The Dragon Reborn. For me, it's a slight step down from the last book, but I still enjoyed it. Will be reading The Shadow Rising next month

For now though, starting on my next trilogy of the month with The Winter King by Bernard Cornwell. I love King Arthur stuff, so I expect this will be good

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3656 on: February 09, 2022, 02:26:12 PM »
Did Jesus Exist? The Historical Argument for Jesus of Nazareth by Bart D. Ehrman
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3657 on: February 09, 2022, 02:33:46 PM »
Realized I've been reading quite some manga lately. I'll get into graphic novels soon, but that may take a while - can only buy a few at a time, and they take like 2 months to arrive here since most of what I want isn't published in my country. However, a surprising amount of manga is, so there's that :P

Naoki Urasawa 20th Century Boys

Finished volumes 4 and 5 a few days ago. Things went into some pretty unexpected directions, and I really liked that. The remaining volumes still haven't been published here, so I'll have to wait until next month.

Katsuhito Otomo Akira

Just finished the first volume. Pretty good, lots of intense action and some cool weird stuff going on. A must read if you loved the film.

Shirow Masamune The Ghost in the Shell

I got the deluxe edition some year ago but never got around to reading it until now. I think I prefer the movie a lot more, this one is just dumb and the major's design is gratuitous, couldn't really finish it.

Now, onto Tsutomu Nihei Blame!, which seems to be a pretty weird cyberpunk and almost silent story, with some amazing and unique art style.

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #3658 on: February 09, 2022, 03:06:08 PM »

I've been trying to get rhythm of war done since September. I'm only quarter way through. The shadesmar stuff if just losing me. I'm stuck there right now. I literally read like 20 pages and I am done for the day. The first 3 books I finished within weeks if not days.

Offline svisser

• Pineapple. I like to eat it.
« Reply #3659 on: February 09, 2022, 06:45:24 PM »
Currently reading Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro in my class in University.

Very unique novel. Highly recommend it.
She can turn a drop of water
         Into an ocean
                                           In the room the women come and go
                                                 Talking of Michelangelo.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3660 on: February 09, 2022, 07:09:12 PM »
Robin Hobb Assassin's Apprentice. 100 pages in, enjoying it so far.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3661 on: February 09, 2022, 08:15:03 PM »
Such a great book.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3662 on: February 10, 2022, 09:38:56 AM »

I've been trying to get rhythm of war done since September. I'm only quarter way through. The shadesmar stuff if just losing me. I'm stuck there right now. I literally read like 20 pages and I am done for the day. The first 3 books I finished within weeks if not days.

I had Covid and couldn't leave my home for two weeks so I just persisted and read it in two weeks. I don't really remember much from it. I'll need to re-read RoW before delving into Book 5 when it comes out and I'm already dreading it.

I was okay with Shadesmar chapters. The flashbacks were tough to get through for me, the Kaladin stuff also felt repetitive. Overall I just don't think the pacing worked in that book.

This is on my radar since I really enjoyed The Liveships Trilogy.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3663 on: February 10, 2022, 03:39:42 PM »
Did Jesus Exist? The Historical Argument for Jesus of Nazareth by Bart D. Ehrman

I'm going to give that one a shot; let me know what you think when you're finished.  Try "The Case for Christ" by Lee Strobel as well if you want to continue in the same vein.

The Psilocybin Mushroom Bible by Virginia Haze and Dr. K Mandrake (same Doktor Mandrake from Tim's comic in Spaced maybe).
Leaves of Grass by Uncle Walt (Walt Whitman)
Knowledge of the Holy by A. W. Tozer (maybe try this one too Hef.  Within the first 30 pages I realized that I have taken a low view of God.  If you read it, you'll understand what I mean.  Tozer's prayers at the beginning of each chapter are worth the read alone.)
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3664 on: February 10, 2022, 07:21:40 PM »
Tsutomu Nihei Blame!

Just finished volume 1. Damn, what a unique piece of fiction. Highly recommended to any fans of weird science fiction and gritty art styles. I mean just look at this.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3665 on: February 14, 2022, 07:47:43 AM »

I'm going to give that one a shot; let me know what you think when you're finished.  Try "The Case for Christ" by Lee Strobel as well if you want to continue in the same vein.
I read Strobel's book years ago. I actually didn't care for it very much.

Keep in mind that Ehrman is an agnostic professor of the New Testament (at the University of  North Carolina in Chapel Hill), and is writing from a purely historical viewpoint, against the claims of, frankly, irrational militant atheists. It's very well written, and was quite enjoyable.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3666 on: February 14, 2022, 07:50:04 AM »

The Sandman: Book of Dreams edited by Neil Gaiman and Ed Kramer

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3667 on: February 14, 2022, 01:13:44 PM »
Enemy of God by Bernard Cornwell

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3668 on: February 14, 2022, 02:23:28 PM »
20th Century Ghost by Joe Hill
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3669 on: February 17, 2022, 07:09:09 PM »
Enemy of God by Bernard Cornwell
Enemy of God was going to be a really solid 4 star read, until that last section, and then I had to give it all the stars. I have a feeling Excalibur will stick the landing for sure

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #3670 on: February 17, 2022, 07:19:07 PM »
Les 3 P'tits Cochons by Christian Boivin. Another random pull from the French section of my local library.  I'm only 50 pages in,  but it appears to be some kind of young adult horror story surrounding 3 connected characters.  It's part of some series called forbidden tales, and each book is written by a different author.  Also, each book title is that of a famous tale (snow white, hanzel and gretel, etc). I'm still waiting to see if there's a supernatural horror element to come (the cover art suggests as much).

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3671 on: February 18, 2022, 09:56:09 PM »

Just finished. Did not know what to expect going in other than its solid reputation. Found it enjoyable, never found it dull or a slog, always ready to pick up where I left off the night before.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3672 on: February 21, 2022, 07:06:14 AM »
Excalibur was good, but could have been shorter. Now reading The Science of Stephen King by Meg Hafdahl and Kelly Florence

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3673 on: February 21, 2022, 08:54:19 AM »
I'm sorry, those ladies might be big time horror fans but when you confuse Jason Vorhees with Michael Myers (Michael Myers in his hockey mask?! How did the editors miss that?), you lost me. Reading The Ultimate History of Video Games, Vol. 2 by Steven L. Kent instead for my nonfiction of the month

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3674 on: February 21, 2022, 02:06:02 PM »
Heretics of Dune by Frank Herbert