Author Topic: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings  (Read 291380 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings
« Reply #3570 on: December 14, 2021, 05:54:41 PM »
What kind of books does she write?

The kind you wouldn't like, Tim (probably). Sci-fi and fantasy, but very human focused. A genius wordsmith who will gift you with a thousand word narrative in a couple of short sentences.

Unlike Stadler, who will give me two sentences containing a thousand words. ;D

What you say about me not liking it may be true. You know, somewhere along the way, I completely lost my sense of imagination. I used to really wig out on movies and books when I was younger, but as I get older, I simply have zero interest in works of fiction. It kind of bums me out, actually.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3571 on: December 14, 2021, 10:18:39 PM »
What kind of books does she write?

The kind you wouldn't like, Tim (probably). Sci-fi and fantasy, but very human focused. A genius wordsmith who will gift you with a thousand word narrative in a couple of short sentences.

Unlike Stadler, who will give me two sentences containing a thousand words. ;D

:lol

What you say about me not liking it may be true. You know, somewhere along the way, I completely lost my sense of imagination. I used to really wig out on movies and books when I was younger, but as I get older, I simply have zero interest in works of fiction. It kind of bums me out, actually.

I was never a big fantasy literature fan as a kid. Loved Star Wars and all that of course, but never read any fantasy till I was an adult. And now it is really hit or miss, and I can't pinpoint why something is a hit and something else is a miss. I loved the Song of Fire and Ice books, but for every one of those, I ready 4 other fantasy books that I found really boring.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 10:35:18 PM by Cool Chris »
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #3572 on: December 15, 2021, 06:54:35 AM »
RIP Anne Rice.

Just came across that bit of news.  While her last few books didn't really move the needle for me,  the Vampire Chronicles will always hold a special place in my heart as the first "adult" books i read as a young teen after randomly picking a book off my mom's shelf. It was book 4, Tale of the Body Thief,  and i actually read the epilogue first (i hadn't originally planned to read the book...i was just bored).

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #3573 on: December 15, 2021, 11:18:23 AM »

I can identify with this sentiment, though maybe not quite to the extent that you do, since I still occasionally read comics and check out the latest sci-fi/fantasy movies and shows. But as I get deeper into fogey-ness, I find that I tend to get super-selective on what I decide to spend my time on (and that includes music).

What fascinates me is how you've managed to enjoy traveling to theme parks over the years and heavy metal music in general, since both are SO steeped in the world of fantasy/sci-fi novels, movies, shows, etc. I mean, take any given power metal album .... the artwork and themes drip with that stuff.

"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3574 on: December 15, 2021, 01:28:15 PM »

I can identify with this sentiment, though maybe not quite to the extent that you do, since I still occasionally read comics and check out the latest sci-fi/fantasy movies and shows. But as I get deeper into fogey-ness, I find that I tend to get super-selective on what I decide to spend my time on (and that includes music).

What fascinates me is how you've managed to enjoy traveling to theme parks over the years and heavy metal music in general, since both are SO steeped in the world of fantasy/sci-fi novels, movies, shows, etc. I mean, take any given power metal album .... the artwork and themes drip with that stuff.

The thing about the theme parks is was really about our family vacations to Disney. They provided a real "in the bubble" experience where the outside world was a million miles away. And they provided some great experiences and exhibits that really provided some child like wonder.
A theme park steeped in..superhero characters couldn't interest me less.

As far as heavy metal goes, I guess you're right, but I've never really thought about that. I love me some Hammerfall, especially their older stuff. Sure they sing about the Templars Of Metal and shit, but I don't really lose myself in those lyrics or world. I do however, pay attention to things like the powers of good vs evil, so I can usually relate those kinds of lyrics and look within myself.

Even as a kid, I never read comic books. I've never seen a Star Trek movie, and I only care about the original Star Wars movie. I'm thinking of asking for a random fiction paperback for a stocking stuffer. I used to love reading books.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3575 on: December 16, 2021, 09:34:03 AM »

I only read fiction and engineering books :lol Maybe in 25 years I'll be the same.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3576 on: December 17, 2021, 05:35:30 PM »
Anne Rice had such an impact on my reading life. The Vampire Chronicles were pretty much the first adult books I read on my own when I was roughly 13. For me, there were mostly hits from her instead of misses. Of the ones I've read, the only ones I never cared for were Realms of Atlantis and Angel Time (Violin was meh). I still want to look into Cleopatra, her Christ series, her Wolves series, Cry to Heaven and Feast of All Saints

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3577 on: December 17, 2021, 08:42:40 PM »

I only read fiction and engineering books :lol Maybe in 25 years I'll be the same.

I asked my wife to buy me a paperback book for Christmas. I told her it didn't matter what it was...horror, sci-fi, murder mystery...whatever. Just pick out a book of fiction that she'd think I like.
There were two conditions on what not to get though.
1. Not Stephen King
2. Not a book that is part of a series

It's been 25 years easy since I read a fiction book.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3578 on: December 18, 2021, 12:50:07 AM »

Technically there are first books in some series that are fantastic standalone books. :biggrin:

Please share what book she went with when you get your present!

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #3579 on: December 18, 2021, 03:32:04 PM »

I asked my wife to buy me a paperback book for Christmas. I told her it didn't matter what it was...horror, sci-fi, murder mystery...whatever. Just pick out a book of fiction that she'd think I like.
1. Not Stephen King

I see you’ve even roped your wife into playing the TAC roulette!

Technically there are first books in some series that are fantastic standalone books. :biggrin:

Also let us know what you thought of the book when (and if) you read it!  :biggrin:
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3580 on: December 18, 2021, 05:06:30 PM »
Impracticalities aside, a literature roulette would be awesome!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3581 on: December 18, 2021, 05:12:04 PM »

1. Not Stephen King

I see you’ve even roped your wife into playing the TAC roulette!

:rollin :rollin

I definitely will! :)

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3582 on: December 19, 2021, 10:34:05 AM »

You know what, I think I may look into it. It'll take forever though. :lol

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3583 on: December 20, 2021, 03:27:05 AM »
Finished the Babel series, so I feel accomplished. Now reading Krampus: The Yule Lord by Brom. The guy's been 2 for 2 so far (The Child Thief, Lost Gods)

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #3584 on: December 20, 2021, 10:33:15 AM »

Masterthes would finish a literary roulette faster than any of us could do a music one.
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3585 on: December 20, 2021, 11:48:22 AM »
Indeed! :biggrin:

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3586 on: December 20, 2021, 12:01:19 PM »

Masterthes would finish a literary roulette faster than any of us could do a music one.

Yeah, that checks out :biggrin:

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3587 on: December 20, 2021, 07:19:41 PM »
Frank Herbert Dune

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3588 on: December 21, 2021, 09:07:08 AM »
Ah yes, love Frank H. Dune, such a good author

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3589 on: December 21, 2021, 07:53:21 PM »
Now reading Krampus: The Yule Lord by Brom. The guy's been 2 for 2 so far (The Child Thief, Lost Gods)

It ended up being my least favorite, but still solid. I'm going to try to catch his newest one some time next year. Moving on to Chasing the Boogeyman by Richard Chizmar

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3590 on: December 23, 2021, 07:43:38 AM »
Wild Minds: The Artists and Rivalries that Inspired the Golden Age of Animation by Reid Mitenbuler

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3591 on: December 26, 2021, 01:13:41 PM »

So I got two books.

The Jailhouse Lawyer by James Patterson....These are the kids of books my wife likes, so I'm not surprised but I'm not sure I'm excited to read it, but I said I would, so I will.

Lightning Down by Tom Clavin...This looks like a non fiction account of a WWII pilot's survival story.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3592 on: December 26, 2021, 01:56:03 PM »
The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #3593 on: December 26, 2021, 02:37:58 PM »
^^^^ My favorite of the series.

Better Off Dead by the brothers Child.

I'm about 50 pages in,  and once again the writing is seamless. Feels like a single author, and certainly like a Jack Reacher story

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3594 on: December 26, 2021, 02:55:54 PM »
Am likewise about 50 pages in to Better Off Dead.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3595 on: December 26, 2021, 05:05:20 PM »
All About Me!: My Remarkable Life in Show Business by Mel Brooks. Mel Brooks ranks as one of my favorite comedic talents, so I'm anticipating this to be a late year favorite

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3596 on: December 26, 2021, 05:10:51 PM »
Naoki Urasawa 20th Century Boys

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3597 on: December 27, 2021, 08:47:49 AM »

So I got two books.

The Jailhouse Lawyer by James Patterson....These are the kids of books my wife likes, so I'm not surprised but I'm not sure I'm excited to read it, but I said I would, so I will.

Lightning Down by Tom Clavin...This looks like a non fiction account of a WWII pilot's survival story.

Haven't read any of these two! :lol Read the summary of The Jailhouse Lawyer on Goodreads and I'm not sure it's my kind of book either.

Let me know what you think though. :)

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3598 on: December 29, 2021, 07:47:46 AM »
The Mel Brooks was fantastic, my favorite nonfiction of the year, easily. Done with new books for the year, and getting a start on my Wheel of Time read through project for 2022, and going all the way back to the beginning with The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (this will be my third time reading this)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3599 on: December 29, 2021, 10:06:17 AM »
Naoki Urasawa 20th Century Boys
Just finished the first volume of the kazenban edition. Really good so far. Already loved Monster and Pluto so am quite eager to see how it goes from here.

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #3600 on: December 29, 2021, 10:25:51 AM »
Finally finished The Count of Monte Cristo and Red Country by Joe Abercrombie.

On to The Devil you Know by Mark Lawrence

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3601 on: December 29, 2021, 12:16:27 PM »
Finishing this year with a reread of one of my favourite books which I've never read in English before, The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin

Finished this one, hits somewhat differently than when I was 18 years old and read it in Russian. Still loved it though.

I may spend some time to compile the list of what I've read this year like masterthes does (although it won't be quite as huge), we'll see.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 08:36:19 AM by Evermind »

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3602 on: December 29, 2021, 08:37:15 PM »
I guess I'll share my favorites from the year:

Graphic novels
3. Spider-Man: Life Story
2. Saga
1. Invincible

Non-fiction
5. The Bradbury Chronicles
4. The Storyteller
3. VJ
2. The Star Wars Archives
1. All About Me!

Fiction
5. Foundation
4. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
3. This Tender Land
2. Guns of the Dawn
1. Sea of Rust

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3603 on: December 30, 2021, 10:55:28 AM »

Standard Reacher fare. I missed some of the police procedural and detective elements I feel were more present in earlier stories, but that isn't new to the last two books. This is a series that is an automatic read for me, but at this point it is largely due to the familiarity of the franchise and speed at which I can read them.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #3604 on: December 31, 2021, 09:54:21 AM »

Standard Reacher fare. I missed some of the police procedural and detective elements I feel were more present in earlier stories, but that isn't new to the last two books. This is a series that is an automatic read for me, but at this point it is largely due to the familiarity of the franchise and speed at which I can read them.

Sums it up nicely.  I don't expect a life changing read when i pick up a Reacher novel, but i do expect entertainment.

This one was certainly entertaining enough,  but the ending seemed a bit out of place to me. It was essentially sheer luck that Reacher was in the locale he was at the end to even foil the plot. It felt like they had written themselves into a corner, and that was the easiest way out.

At some point one of these novels should be about the FBI coming after Reacher for the dozens of homicides he's committed across the US. He kills at least 1 person in every novel (save one), but he's never even so much as detained or questioned.  Some of the deaths in this one were straight up pre-meditated.