Author Topic: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings  (Read 290899 times)

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings
« Reply #3465 on: September 10, 2021, 02:53:18 PM »
Reread The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin, still one of my favourite books, now onto Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman

You guys were spot on, this was very strange. I did enjoy it as I apparently like Neil's writing, but yeah, it was befuddling at times.

Men at Arms by Terry Pratchett
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3466 on: September 10, 2021, 06:46:40 PM »
Just finished Timothy Zahn's Heir to the Empire. Star Wars was the defining franchise of my youth, yet I never got in to any Expanded Universe (or whatever) novels. I was gifted a couple of the newer Thrawn novels, and that prompted me to start here. It was an enjoyable read. I appreciated how it felt like Star Wars while still being its own story. Not sure where I will go from here.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3467 on: September 10, 2021, 06:48:59 PM »
To me, Star Wars (the movie) was a one hit wonder.

I ended up returning Rob Halford's Confess to the library unfinished. I simply lost interest.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3468 on: September 12, 2021, 08:38:46 PM »
Some updates:

I recently finished 80 Years of Superman, which was fantastic. It was pretty neat getting to read some of the old Superman comics and see how he evolved, and I finished today Marvel Masterworks: The Uncanny X-Men, Vol. 6, which was okay, but the quality dipped big time from the last one (but it's kind of hard to top Dark Phoenix and Days of Future, Past,

Going back to fiction to read Mary Jane by Jessica Anya Blau. I've heard good things. I've had it on hold for a while, so I'm hoping it's worth it

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3469 on: September 13, 2021, 12:12:35 PM »
Elric of Melnibone by Roy Thomas & P. Craig Russell
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3470 on: September 13, 2021, 03:16:21 PM »
Working through Rise and Fall of the Third Reich right now

Read that many years ago. Just the other day I realized it was still on my shelf - I borrowed it from my dad and obviously never returned it!

If It Bleeds by Stephen King. Enjoyed the first two novellas quite a bit. Piggy-backing on what I said on the last page, I find myself enjoying his short stories much more than his novels at this point in his career, which I could not have said up till 2000 or so.

Rise and Fall just has a hold on me... Shirer has the tone and scale of anthropologist and I'm enjoying it immensely!  Much more than I would have thought.

If it Bleeds is a great collection... equals up to Night Shift for me which contains my two all-time favorite King shorts.  He really is a master of the short story.

Still working through Rise and Fall (on book three now)... I break it up with BTBAM Colors 2
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3471 on: September 13, 2021, 06:11:50 PM »
Foundation and Empire by Isaac Asimov

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3472 on: September 14, 2021, 07:48:18 PM »
The Bradbury Chronicles by Sam Weller

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3473 on: September 15, 2021, 09:18:57 AM »
The Dark Interval: Towards a Theology of Story by John Dominic Crossan
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3474 on: September 17, 2021, 01:35:39 PM »
The Bradbury Chronicles by Sam Weller
If you're a Ray Bradbury fan, I highly recommend that book.

Switching back to historical with Bring Up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3475 on: September 20, 2021, 01:41:05 PM »
Thor: The Complete Collection Volume 1 by Jason Aaron

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3476 on: September 22, 2021, 06:03:16 AM »
The Redbreast - Jo Nesbo

I loved the central mystery/plot. My only criticism, which is a bit of a pet peeve of mine, is that another character met outside the context of the case was somewhat randomly closely related to the central murder plot. I did not feel this was necessary but in the end it is not a major flaw. Slow start but well worth the read.

Nemesis - Jo Nesbo

I was not impressed with this one. I like the basic premise and the two cases, but it really feels like he had two plotlines and stitched them together by writing coincidental connections between characters and events. It is a bit like that pet peeve I had with the first but now it is integral to both major plotlines. I hope the next novel abstains from this approach to writing.

Overall the Dutch translations of these books don't feel like they are particularly well done, but that has nothing to do with Nesbo's work.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3477 on: September 22, 2021, 11:13:37 AM »
Have a Little Faith: The John Hiatt Story by Michael Elliott

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3478 on: September 22, 2021, 01:12:24 PM »
It's back to Sci-Fi September and I'm currently reading Sea of Rust by C. Robert Cargill and I am enjoying it immensely. It is so good

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3479 on: September 23, 2021, 01:21:46 PM »
Yeah, Sea of Rust was excellent. Now for some sci-fi horror with The Resurrectionist: The Lost Work of Dr. Spencer Black by E.D. Hudspeth

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3480 on: September 24, 2021, 01:14:41 PM »
Getting the itch for a huge historical novel: Time's Betrayal by David Adams Cleveland

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3481 on: September 26, 2021, 11:09:46 AM »
Reread The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin, still one of my favourite books, now onto Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman

You guys were spot on, this was very strange. I did enjoy it as I apparently like Neil's writing, but yeah, it was befuddling at times.

Men at Arms by Terry Pratchett

Man, this was good. I'm warming up to Pratchett I guess, this book was excellent.

The Dragon Republic by R. F. Kuang

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3482 on: September 26, 2021, 11:34:45 AM »
Pratchett was such a great writer.

After reading some spy novels by John Le Carré I'm finally continuing with Harry Dresen, Peace Talks by Jim Butcher.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3483 on: September 29, 2021, 03:25:35 PM »
I started the month reading Foundation, I'll be finishing the month (most likely) reading Second Foundation

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #3484 on: September 29, 2021, 06:14:39 PM »
Reread Cloud Atlas recently (the first time reading it as a physical book), and stand by my opinion that while it's a great book, the movie is actually better. Although it's worth noting that a lot of the best moments in the movie are word-for-word quotes from the book.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3485 on: October 01, 2021, 06:37:12 AM »
Children of Dune by Frank Herbert

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3486 on: October 01, 2021, 06:32:32 PM »
Here's my September wrap up. A fairly good month, in terms of quantity and quality
September (11)
Coming Up Roses: The Broadway Musical in the 1950’s by Ethan Mordden 8/31 - 9/1 ****
Foundation by Isaac Asimov 9/1 - 9/2 *****
Action Comics: 80 Years of Superman by Paul Levitz 9/11 - 9/12 *****
Marvel Masterworks: The Uncanny X-Men, Vol. 6 9/12 ****
Mary Jane by Jessica Anya Blau 9/12 - 9/13 ****
Foundation and Empire by Isaac Asimov 9/13 - 9/14 ****
The Bradbury Chronicles by Sam Weller 9/14 - 9/16 *****
Bring Up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel 9/16 - 9/21 ****
Sea of Rust by C. Thomas Cargill 9/22 - 9/23 *****
The Resurrectionist: The Lost Work of Dr. Spencer Black by E.D. Hudspeth 9/23 ***
Second Foundation by Isaac Asimov 9/29 - 9/30 ***

Now, it's October, which means time for some horror/spooky books, starting off with some new fiction: Tidepool by Nicole Willson

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3487 on: October 03, 2021, 07:39:10 AM »
From the Dust Returned by Ray Bradbury

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3488 on: October 03, 2021, 06:20:17 PM »
The Bradbury didn't really work for me, so instead I'm getting a bit ambitious and reading Shadow and Claw by Gene Wolfe

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3489 on: October 07, 2021, 09:07:35 PM »
Finished Timothy Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy Heir to the Empire/Dark Force Rising/The Last Command. For as much as the Star Wars franchise meant to my childhood, I never read any novels. I do not know why. I feel I would have loved these as a kid, back when we only had Eps 4, 5, and 6 (and the Christmas Special) to enjoy. Now at 45, with many more SW film/tv series options leaving my galaxy more diluted, they were still a fun read. Heck I probably would have enjoyed film adaptions of this trilogy more than what we got in Eps 7, 8, and 9.

Now on to Later by Stephen King.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3490 on: October 08, 2021, 01:34:49 PM »
Well, I finally finished the Gene Wolfe. it was okay (gave it 4 stars, but a soft 4. More like 3.75), but when I take almost a full week to read 400 pages, that's not an entirely positive thing. I'll still read the rest of it, just not right away.

Excited to be reading Day Zero by C. Robert Cargill. Hopefully, it's as good as Sea of Rust

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3491 on: October 08, 2021, 02:50:43 PM »
The Dragon Republic by R. F. Kuang

Nice, good stuff. Can't find the third book in my city though, guess I'll have to order it from abroad.

Once Upon a River by Diane Setterfield

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3492 on: October 09, 2021, 06:27:24 PM »
The Walking Dead: Compendium One by Robert Kirkman. Now that the series is done, I'm going to work my way through the whole series, like I did with Invincible earlier this year

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3493 on: October 11, 2021, 06:42:33 AM »
Dracula FAQ: All That's Left to Know About the Count from Transylvania by Bruce Scivally

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3494 on: October 13, 2021, 01:52:04 PM »
Back to fiction with Covenant with the Vampire by Jeanne Kalogridis. It looks to be the start of a series set 50 years before Dracula. Already a quarter of the way done and really enjoying myself

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #3495 on: October 14, 2021, 10:45:59 AM »
Duma Key by Stephen King - An ok book that would've been much better if you cut at least 100 pages out. It has some creepy moments but there's lots of stuff that just didn't really need to be there.

Fist of the North Star Vols 1 + 2 - I've been wanting to check out this Manga for a while now but it was never fully released in the U.S. now that they're finally putting them out I jumped on it. Mad Max but with people exploding. Lots of fun so far.

Books of Blood volume 1 by Clive Barker - Between this and The Hellbound Heart I think I enjoy his short fiction much more than his full length novels. Some weird, imaginative, humorous, and creepy stuff in here. Only story I didn't really care for was the one with the pig.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3496 on: October 14, 2021, 10:50:02 AM »
Duma Key by Stephen King - An ok book that would've been much better if you cut at least 100 pages out.

Someone said this before, but this is pretty much most of King's books apparently. :)

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #3497 on: October 14, 2021, 10:52:45 AM »
Duma Key by Stephen King - An ok book that would've been much better if you cut at least 100 pages out.

Someone said this before, but this is pretty much most of King's books apparently. :)

I know but sometimes the excess doesn't hurt the book ...... and sometimes it drags the whole thing down lol
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3498 on: October 14, 2021, 01:51:01 PM »
Yeah, Dumas Key dragged for me, big time

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3499 on: October 14, 2021, 05:07:31 PM »
The Walking Dead Compendium Two by Robert Kirkman