Author Topic: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings  (Read 290094 times)

Offline masterthes

Re: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings
« Reply #3255 on: February 21, 2021, 11:54:38 AM »
Many years ago, I was a huge fan of Mick Foley's first book Have a Nice Day (Foley is Good was a decent follow up). Now, I'm finally getting around to reading The Hardcore Diaries​​​​

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3256 on: February 22, 2021, 10:23:45 AM »
The Greatest Prayer: Rediscovering the Revolutionary Message of the Lord's Prayer by John Dominic Crossan
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3257 on: February 22, 2021, 02:14:23 PM »
The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 7: 1963 - 1964 by Charles M. Schulz

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3258 on: February 23, 2021, 12:08:56 PM »
Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie

This was a bit confusing and the beginning didn't sit too well with all the passengers all the train, I kept confusing them. The book got better and better as it went and by the time I finished it, I liked the mystery and the resolution.

Now for something way more modern, After I've Gone by Linda Green
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3259 on: February 23, 2021, 01:21:22 PM »
Beartown by Frederik Backman

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3260 on: February 24, 2021, 01:33:04 PM »
I liked Ove a bit more, but this was still really good

Now, The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 8: 1965 - 1966 by Charles M. Schulz

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3261 on: February 25, 2021, 04:01:00 AM »
Even though I was a WWE/Monday Night RAW guy back in the day, I'm sure I'm going to find Nitro: The Incredible Rise and Inevitable Collapse of Ted Turner's WCW by Guy Evans an interesting read

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3262 on: February 25, 2021, 06:58:30 PM »

This was a bit confusing and the beginning didn't sit too well with all the passengers all the train, I kept confusing them. The book got better and better as it went and by the time I finished it, I liked the mystery and the resolution.

Didn't the 'Cast Characters' at the beginning help? I thought that book had one of those. Some of hers do, others don't. The David Suchet adaptation presents a very unique twist on the ending. I highly enjoyed what they did, and don't want to spoil it here.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3263 on: February 27, 2021, 03:53:45 PM »
Finishing off the month with The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 9: 1967 - 1968​​​​

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3264 on: February 28, 2021, 08:28:50 AM »

Didn't the 'Cast Characters' at the beginning help? I thought that book had one of those. Some of hers do, others don't. The David Suchet adaptation presents a very unique twist on the ending. I highly enjoyed what they did, and don't want to spoil it here.

My edition of the book didn't have that. :)

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3265 on: February 28, 2021, 09:02:32 AM »
My February reading is done. Here's my wrapup

February (14)
Bunny by Mona Awad 2/4 - 2/5 ***
Broadway: A History of the Theater in New York City by Brooks Atkinson 2/6 - 2/9 ****
Glengarry Glen Ross by David Mamet 2/9 ***
Bible Babel: Making Sense of the Most Talked About Book of All Time 2/9 - 2/11 ****
Methuselah’s Children by Robert A. Heinlein 2/14 - 2/16 ***
Neuromancer by William Gibson 2/17 - 2/19 **
The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 6: 1961 - 1962 by Charles M. Schulz 2/19 ****
Tomie by Jumji Ito 2/19 ****
Watchmen: The Annotated Edition by Alan Moore and Leslie Klinger 2/20 - 2/21 *****
The Hardcore Diaries by Mick Foley 2/21 - 2/22 ****
The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 7: 1963 - 1964 by Charles M. Schulz 2/22 - 2/23 ****
Beartown by Frederik Backman 2/23 - 2/24 *****
The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 8: 1965 - 1966 by Charles M. Schulz 2/24 ****
The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 9: 1967 - 1968 by Charles M. Schulz 2/27 - 2/28 ****

Now, for my current read, I'm finally going to give Red Rising by Pierce Brown a chance

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3266 on: March 01, 2021, 02:15:03 AM »
Now for something way more modern, After I've Gone by Linda Green

Good premise and quite a page-turner of a book but something was missing here, I didn't enjoy it that much. One of the reviews for the book promised "a cleverest twist" and I'm not sure where it was. :lol

The City in the Middle of the Night by Charlie Jane Anders

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3267 on: March 01, 2021, 03:32:51 AM »
But for now: Metro 2034 by Dmitry Glukhovsky

I haven't read this one and I'm from Russia, let me know how it is :)

I finished this yesterday and was disappointed. It was solid I guess because I did finish it. But the first in the series is so much better.

And now: The Lords Of The North by Bernard Cornwell
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3268 on: March 01, 2021, 11:21:23 PM »

Weird. Some of her books have a 'Cast of Characters,' others don't. I cannot find my version but I'd swear mine did.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3269 on: March 02, 2021, 01:04:49 PM »
Moving on to Golden Son by Pierce Brown

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3270 on: March 02, 2021, 01:08:10 PM »

Weird. Some of her books have a 'Cast of Characters,' others don't. I cannot find my version but I'd swear mine did.

It did have a rough scheme of the actual wagon where the action takes place which helped, but no Cast of Characters unfortunately. Also the scheme didn't appear until the Evidence part which makes sense. Still, I liked the book and I'll be sure to watch the adaptation.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3271 on: March 02, 2021, 05:05:11 PM »
Doctor Strange: Across the Universe by Mark Waid & Jesus Saiz
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3272 on: March 03, 2021, 06:01:39 AM »
That whole series is awesome. I started rereading it, got through book one, but then got The Way of Kings available through overdrive.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3273 on: March 03, 2021, 06:49:07 AM »
Just finished Killer Show by John Barylick. 

He was one of the lawyers that litigated the Station Nightclub / Great White fire in Rhode Island in 2003.  The book was amazing and so terrifying.  He laid out what led up to the fire, why the fire happened the way it did, and explained the aftermath of it, including how they secured large settlements from various corporations afterwards.  The chapters that explained what it was like inside the building when it was on fire were scared the hell out of me.   Concertgoers had 60-90 seconds to get out of a burning building, or they didn't survive that fire. 

Definitely a recommended read, though scary, if you like seeing live concerts like I do.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3274 on: March 03, 2021, 11:31:33 PM »

It did have a rough scheme of the actual wagon where the action takes place which helped, but no Cast of Characters unfortunately. Also the scheme didn't appear until the Evidence part which makes sense. Still, I liked the book and I'll be sure to watch the adaptation.

Damn, now I am really annoyed I cannot find my copy. Must have lent it to someone.

There are a few film/tv adaptations. I assume the 1974 version is the most well-known, largely due to the cast. It is alright. Worth a watch if you enjoy the book but nothing I would clear out my schedule to watch. The David Suchet one is darker and as I said I highly enjoyed what they did at the end. I haven't seen any others.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3275 on: March 04, 2021, 07:20:34 AM »
Doctor Strange: Remittance by Mark Waid, Javier Pina, Andres Guinaldo, and Jesus Saiz

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3276 on: March 04, 2021, 12:55:24 PM »
All the Ugly and Wonderful Things by Bryn Greenwood - provocative and controversial and super powerful, great characters, actually finished this a few days ago

The Road by Cormac McCarthy - finally started this

New Spring by Robert Jordan - should have read this years ago, not sure why I'm only just now reading it
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3277 on: March 05, 2021, 01:40:59 PM »

that was one of the best cliff hanger endings I've read in recent memory. Now, on to Morning Star and see if Pierce can "stick the landing"

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3278 on: March 08, 2021, 05:54:58 AM »

that was one of the best cliff hanger endings I've read in recent memory. Now, on to Morning Star and see if Pierce can "stick the landing"

And now you get to meet my favorite character!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3279 on: March 08, 2021, 07:03:07 AM »
I'm making my way through the Robert Ludlum ("The Bourne Identity") oeuvre.  Something more than a comic book, something less than "Game Of Thrones".  I'm reading it in chronological order of writing (more or less) so I'm reading the things that were originally released under pseudonyms rather than later when they were re-released under his real name to capitalize on his later success.

He writes a lot about government malfeasance and conspiracy theories and what not.  I'm reading "Trevayne" now, written around and shortly after the Watergate incident, and there are entire paragraphs that I could post in P/R and they would be relevant without even changing a single word. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3280 on: March 08, 2021, 07:17:05 AM »
I'm making my way through the Robert Ludlum ("The Bourne Identity") oeuvre.  Something more than a comic book, something less than "Game Of Thrones".  I'm reading it in chronological order of writing (more or less) so I'm reading the things that were originally released under pseudonyms rather than later when they were re-released under his real name to capitalize on his later success.

He writes a lot about government malfeasance and conspiracy theories and what not.  I'm reading "Trevayne" now, written around and shortly after the Watergate incident, and there are entire paragraphs that I could post in P/R and they would be relevant without even changing a single word.
I read all of those back in the 90s.  Very entertaining reads.  I have considered re-reading them several times.

I especially liked the real odd birds (compared to the rest), like The Road to Gandolpho and its sequel, The Road to Omaha.  Very funny books.

Anyways, now reading Later by Stephen King.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3281 on: March 08, 2021, 01:21:24 PM »

Sefi? Have to say, the last book was the weakest in the trilogy. I think some sections dragged on a bit too long. Still, very solid, and I'd recommend the series to any SF fan.

So, seeing as how the WCW book was a bust, I'm reading a book on the WWE called We Promised You A Great Main Event by Bill Hanstock (which I am enjoying a whole lot more)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3282 on: March 08, 2021, 01:23:49 PM »
Although I still have 2 books to read I just ordered Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick, and Good Omens by Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman

www.thriftbooks.com has been a blessing to me
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3283 on: March 08, 2021, 03:20:53 PM »
Although I still have 2 books to read I just ordered Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick, and Good Omens by Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman

Thriftbooks is the BOMB.  I love it.

FYI, "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" is one of my favorite books of all time.  I've read it about 10 times, and I will sometimes just read it because. Or if I'm traveling, I'll throw it in my briefcase/suitcase.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3284 on: March 08, 2021, 06:18:39 PM »

Sefi? Have to say, the last book was the weakest in the trilogy. I think some sections dragged on a bit too long. Still, very solid, and I'd recommend the series to any SF fan.

So, seeing as how the WCW book was a bust, I'm reading a book on the WWE called We Promised You A Great Main Event by Bill Hanstock (which I am enjoying a whole lot more)

Oh shit lol I guess Ragnar shows up in Golden Son doesn't he? They all run together since I've only read them once. I reread the first book in Jan and I'll make an attempt to reread them this year. I think I remember Golden Son beginning and end but the middle is a bit of a blur.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3285 on: March 09, 2021, 07:04:22 AM »
Wow, thriftbooks looks great!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3286 on: March 09, 2021, 09:37:45 AM »

I went through and read all the original (Ian Fleming) James Bond books; there's a particular release from the 2008's or thereabouts, and new from Borders or Amazon they are about $14.00 or $15.00 each.  There's thirteen, so that's about $200, with taxes and such.   I had three of them, but through Thriftbooks, I bought the remaining ten and without doing the math I paid about $45 for all of them, including shipping.   All in at least very good or better shape.  I forget what the frequency is, but you get free books after a fashion, too.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3287 on: March 09, 2021, 11:20:28 AM »

Thriftbooks is the BOMB.  I love it.

FYI, "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" is one of my favorite books of all time.  I've read it about 10 times, and I will sometimes just read it because. Or if I'm traveling, I'll throw it in my briefcase/suitcase.

I'm looking forward to finally reading it because I've heard great things!

Yeah thriftbooks rules, the girl I'm with introduced me to it last week. Love it.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3288 on: March 09, 2021, 11:24:19 AM »
The City in the Middle of the Night by Charlie Jane Anders

Very jagged and discordant book, also way more somber and serious than her first one. I had no idea what to make of the plot while I was reading it, but I do think she finished it fairly well. The worldbuilding was fantastic in this one though, while the dialogue was probably its lowest point. Good read, though.

The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3289 on: March 09, 2021, 11:27:54 AM »

I went through and read all the original (Ian Fleming) James Bond books; there's a particular release from the 2008's or thereabouts, and new from Borders or Amazon they are about $14.00 or $15.00 each.  There's thirteen, so that's about $200, with taxes and such.   I had three of them, but through Thriftbooks, I bought the remaining ten and without doing the math I paid about $45 for all of them, including shipping.   All in at least very good or better shape.  I forget what the frequency is, but you get free books after a fashion, too.
Clearly, this bears further investigation!