Author Topic: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings  (Read 290441 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings
« Reply #3115 on: November 19, 2020, 08:45:41 PM »

Now I've taken the plunge:  I'm 75 pages in to A Game Of Thrones.

I have not watched any of the series, so cannot comment on how they relate to each other. But I loved the books. Savor the journey. It is a magnificent one. I've read a couple other fantasy books since I've read these, and the whole time I thought "Eh.. good effort, but man, I wish I was reading A Song of Ice and Fire right now..."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3116 on: November 22, 2020, 01:11:06 PM »
The View From the Cheap Seats: Selected Nonfiction by Neil Gaiman

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #3117 on: November 23, 2020, 07:46:29 AM »

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3118 on: November 23, 2020, 04:22:30 PM »
Getting back into fiction with The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3119 on: November 24, 2020, 05:30:24 AM »
Well, that was a pretty good thriller. Didn't see that twist coming at all.

Anyway, if one were to check my Goodreads account, with the exception of '11 and '14, I've always managed to have read at least one 1,000 paged tome a year. I haven't done that yet, so I'm hoping to do that with The Sand Sea by Michael McClellan

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3120 on: November 24, 2020, 09:07:16 AM »

I have not watched any of the series, so cannot comment on how they relate to each other. But I loved the books. Savor the journey. It is a magnificent one. I've read a couple other fantasy books since I've read these, and the whole time I thought "Eh.. good effort, but man, I wish I was reading A Song of Ice and Fire right now..."

I'm about 560 pages in (Robert just... "fought the boar").  MAN.  This is so much better than the show (though, I have to say, the visuals on the show NAILED it; I can't help but think of Peter Dinklage, for example, when thinking of Tyrion Lannister.   Jaime too.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3121 on: November 24, 2020, 09:12:58 AM »

I'm about 560 pages in (Robert just... "fought the boar").  MAN.  This is so much better than the show (though, I have to say, the visuals on the show NAILED it; I can't help but think of Peter Dinklage, for example, when thinking of Tyrion Lannister.   Jaime too.

Yeah, it's pretty incredible. I finished the first book and can't wait to get started on the rest, but I'm still following my promise to not read them until AT LEAST Winds of Winter gets published. I don't for a second believe A Dream of Spring will ever see the light of day unless another author finishes it a la Brandon Sanderson and The Wheel of Time, but I would at least like book 6 before I commit myself to the rest of the journey.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3122 on: November 24, 2020, 11:05:18 AM »
I believe we will eventually see book 6. The last book is a totally different matter indeed

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3123 on: November 24, 2020, 11:13:15 AM »
I believe we will eventually see book 6. The last book is a totally different matter indeed

Same, I do think we'll see Winds of Winter from George, but I don't think A Dream of Spring will ever be released, at least by his name.

Man I've been slacking on my reading for the past few weeks. I need to reread Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson but it's so huge I don't want to carry it to work with me. I need to start on A Trouble with Peace by Joe Abercrombie but I don't remember half of the events from A Little Hatred although I loved that one. I've got Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor and the follow-up on my to-read shelf, and I've also got all three Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials books on the same shelf, borrowed from my best friend's wife who's very passionate about them and awaits my thoughts I suppose. And I've also got those Pratchett books, Stephen King's IT, Rowling's Troubled Blood, and also Children of Dune by Frank Herbert which is borrowed from my other best friend. :lol

Okay I guess I need to pick one, and as I intend on ordering Rhythm of War fairly soon, let's settle on Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson, see you all next year
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 11:41:53 AM by Evermind »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3124 on: November 24, 2020, 11:35:19 AM »
I have about 40 books on my virtual to-read shelf (I do almost all of my reading now as ebooks). But instead of reading one of those, I'm rereading some books I've read in my youth, The Tripod Series by John Christopher.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3125 on: November 29, 2020, 12:53:34 PM »
The Kryptonite Kid by Joseph Torcha

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3126 on: November 29, 2020, 07:06:25 PM »
Calling a finish on November

November (12)
The Unofficial Guide to Game of Thrones by Kim Renfro 11/2 ****
The World of Critical Role by Liz Marsham 11/2 - 11/3 ****
150 Glimpses of The Beatles by Craig Brown 11/3 - 11/6 ****
The Platinum Age of Television by David Bianculli 11/7 - 11/9 ***
The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson 11/9 - 11/13 ***
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline 11/13 - 11/15 *****
Childhood’s End by Arthur C. Clarke 11/15 - 11/16 ****
Musical Misfires by Thomas C. Hischak and Mark A. Robinson 11/16 - 11/19 *****
Game Over: How Nintendo Conquered the World by David Sheff 11/19 - 11/21 ***
The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides 11/23 - 11/24 ****
The Sand Sea by Michael McClellan 11/24 - 11/29 ****
The Kryptonite Kid by Joseph Torchia 11/29 **

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3127 on: November 30, 2020, 05:11:14 AM »
The Master's Apprentice by Oliver Potzsch

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3128 on: December 02, 2020, 05:41:57 PM »
Getting into the Holiday spirit with Letters from Father Christmas by J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #3129 on: December 03, 2020, 01:30:11 PM »
Finally finished Insomnia by Stephen King. Overall I thought it was ok. There was some things about the book I really liked and some parts I didn't like at all. I felt it was a mistake to tie into The Dark Tower as much as it does. If I hadn't already read the dark tower series I would've been so confused at parts. Also the book could've been cut down a couple hundred pages without much being lost.

Currently reading Uzumaki by Junji Ito
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3130 on: December 03, 2020, 01:38:31 PM »
The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3131 on: December 04, 2020, 05:19:40 AM »
From a Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back edited by Elizabeth Schaefer

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3132 on: December 04, 2020, 07:24:43 AM »

Yeah, it's pretty incredible. I finished the first book and can't wait to get started on the rest, but I'm still following my promise to not read them until AT LEAST Winds of Winter gets published. I don't for a second believe A Dream of Spring will ever see the light of day unless another author finishes it a la Brandon Sanderson and The Wheel of Time, but I would at least like book 6 before I commit myself to the rest of the journey.

So I'm just finishing "A Clash Of Kings", and while it's getting confusing now that certain plot lines are diverging from the show (all I have to go on), it's still better than the show.   And when I say "diverging", I don't mean radically different, but just... more intricate. It seems like they had to cut out steps in the show, so what has taken GRRM 10 steps to get from A to B, in the show either jumped right there or took only a step or two.   I'm actually going to go back and watch the show again, to contrast and compare.  I fully expect that the show is going to disappoint on all levels except the visual splendor, and it's going to reinforce my dislike of the two DB's (who I believe fell prey to basic Hollywood adventure story tropes) but that's the kind of guy I am.

I understand that Vol. 6 has made progress during this pandemic, but like you guys, I think the finale is in deep doubt.   Which is sad, because I noticed that most of the GOT "wikis" don't really give proper due to the show.  I looked at two sites, for example (to keep some of the names straight) and both have Jon Snow's lineage undetermined.   If he dies without a Vol. 7, I either hope there are notes, or there is some synopsis, because it will leave a grand hole. 

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3133 on: December 04, 2020, 10:51:04 AM »
I didn't find the show disappointing until they ran out of things to adapt, despite any plot differences.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3134 on: December 05, 2020, 08:19:26 PM »
The New Hope collection of stories were better IMO

Anyway, sticking with Star Wars for a bit. Getting back into the EU The Old Republic series with Deceived by Paul S. Kemp

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3135 on: December 07, 2020, 05:54:03 AM »
Paused Oathbringer due to a business trip (too heavy to take it with me) and started on Northern Lights by Philip Pullman.

Now Rhythm of War arrived today. :facepalm: I'll probably finish Northern Lights first, then just read the plot summary of Oathbringer and get into that. Or I don't know. Man, my to-read shelf is growing fast.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3136 on: December 07, 2020, 05:59:50 AM »
Paused Oathbringer due to a business trip (too heavy to take it with me) and started on Northern Lights by Philip Pullman.

Now Rhythm of War arrived today. :facepalm: I'll probably finish Northern Lights first, then just read the plot summary of Oathbringer and get into that. Or I don't know. Man, my to-read shelf is growing fast.

I don't know, I thought the second half of Oathbringer was the best part, personally. I'm probably going to read Rhythm of War, but I'm not stoked for it. I just don't think he has ever recaptured my interest in this series. He needs to feature Kaladin and Shallan way more.  :)
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3137 on: December 07, 2020, 06:09:17 AM »
I think Oathbringer was my least favourite of three, but I'm pretty stoked for this one still. Dalinar's arc was great though.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #3138 on: December 07, 2020, 08:39:01 AM »
Finished Uzumaki. Fun Japanese horror weirdness. Just saw there's an anime adaptation coming soon so can't wait for that.

3 Days of the Condor by James Grady. Nice quick read just under 200 pages.

Currently reading Live and Let Die by Ian Fleming. My god this book has aged very, very poorly.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3139 on: December 07, 2020, 02:22:34 PM »
Fatal Alliance by Sean Williams

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3140 on: December 09, 2020, 12:02:45 PM »
Stories Behind the Best-Loved Songs of Christmas by Ace Collins
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3141 on: December 09, 2020, 01:20:54 PM »
One more Star Wars book for the year with The Star Wars Book: Expand your knowledge of a galaxy far, far away by Cole Horton

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3142 on: December 10, 2020, 02:50:21 PM »
Nothing to See Here by Kevin Wilson

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3143 on: December 11, 2020, 02:12:28 PM »
A book that didn't work for me, but might work for somebody else.

Going back to more familiar territory with Mention My Name in Atlantis by John Jakes

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #3144 on: December 12, 2020, 07:40:22 AM »
Finished Live and let die. There's a decent book underneath under all the racism.

On to Moonraker
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3145 on: December 12, 2020, 08:25:31 AM »
170 books done, and still going. On to, We Are Legion (We Are Bob) by Dennis E. Taylor

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3146 on: December 12, 2020, 08:57:13 AM »
Dodger by Terry Pratchett
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #3147 on: December 13, 2020, 07:31:21 PM »
Finished Moonraker by Ian Fleming. My favorite of the Bond books so far. Approximately 0% of this book made it into the movie. There's no overt racism and he treats the girl like a human being for the most part so that's an improvement.

Currently reading Harleen by Stjepan Šejić. Only one part into the comic and I love it so far. Hadn't heard of this author before but he's certainly on my radar now.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3148 on: December 13, 2020, 11:39:32 PM »
Finished: Black Out, by Marc Elsberg. A decent read. Got some of the characters confused a bit early on.

Finished: The Sentinel, by the Brothers Child. Most memorable and enjoyable Reacher I've read in a while. Looks like Jack might be in good hands.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3149 on: December 14, 2020, 05:04:56 PM »
Want to get at least one nonfiction in for the month, so reading Alfred Hitchcock: A Life in Darkness and Light by Patrick McGilligan