Author Topic: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings  (Read 291766 times)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings
« Reply #3080 on: November 01, 2020, 08:44:37 AM »
Foundation by Isaac Asimov. So far so cool.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3081 on: November 01, 2020, 08:56:00 AM »
An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir

Okay so finished this one during my business trip and it was fairly good for once! I'll see if I can find other books in the series, I liked it a lot.

Waterdeep: Dragon Heist by Wizards of the Coast because I need to prepare the city of Waterdeep for our homebrew D&D campaign, that's a kinda daunting task and the session is scheduled for November 10th, I should really start the prep.

This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #3082 on: November 01, 2020, 09:41:09 AM »
The Sentinel by Lee and Andrew Child

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3083 on: November 02, 2020, 10:15:47 AM »
The Woody Allen book was decent, until he gets into his relationship with Mia, and then it gets nasty. He just continues on and on about how bad a foster parent she is, and while I'm willing to agree with him, it just went on for too long. I have better things I want to read, thank you very much.

Going to read The Unofficial Guide to Game of Thrones by Kim Renfro instead, which I'm sure will be a better reading experience

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3084 on: November 02, 2020, 08:26:24 PM »
This book went a whole lot better. Moving on to The World of Critical Role by Liz Marsham.  While I've never played any tabletop games before, I consider myself a bit of an enthusiast, and I really enjoy watching the Critical Role streams. I'm more a fan of the first campaign than the current one, though

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3085 on: November 03, 2020, 02:46:58 PM »
150 Glimpses of The Beatles by Craig Brown

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3086 on: November 03, 2020, 06:13:14 PM »
The Woody Allen book was decent, until he gets into his relationship with Mia, and then it gets nasty. He just continues on and on about how bad a foster parent she is...

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3087 on: November 04, 2020, 05:59:25 AM »
Troubled Blood by Robert Galbraith (aka JK Rowling)

I really enjoy the Cormoran Strike series. They are all quite good.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3088 on: November 06, 2020, 05:12:58 AM »
Titan: The Life of John D. Rockefeller, Sr. by Ron Chernow

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #3089 on: November 06, 2020, 11:00:12 AM »
Finished the new Reacher a few days ago. On the positive side, I couldn't really tell the difference between the writing style of the brothers. On the negative, it was still a Jack Reacher novel....meaning there were multiple plot holes.

Waiting for a few books to arrive, so in the meantime....

Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance by Lennard Zinn

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3090 on: November 07, 2020, 04:01:56 PM »
So, we all know hoe fickle I can be when it comes to books, right? I'm switching over to The Platinum Age of Television by David Bianculli

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #3091 on: November 09, 2020, 01:53:48 PM »
I'm midway through Bob Woodward's second book on Trump "Rage" and it's a hell of a read.  :eek

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3092 on: November 09, 2020, 06:12:11 PM »
Taking a break from the nonfiction and reading The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3093 on: November 09, 2020, 08:25:48 PM »
Finished the new Reacher a few days ago. On the positive side, I couldn't really tell the difference between the writing style of the brothers. On the negative, it was still a Jack Reacher novel....meaning there were multiple plot holes.

I always seem a year or so behind on the Reacher books, but anxious to read this one. Do you think if you didn't know about his brother, anything would seem amiss to you while reading?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #3094 on: November 09, 2020, 09:21:29 PM »

I always seem a year or so behind on the Reacher books, but anxious to read this one. Do you think if you didn't know about his brother, anything would seem amiss to you while reading?

No, it was a fairly seamless transition between writers. But who knows how much was written by each author? Maybe it was 80% Lee Child, in which case I'm not sure you could ever tell. It was entertaining, but by no means the best Reacher. I'll definitely check out the next one.

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #3095 on: November 09, 2020, 09:22:09 PM »
I'm Thinking About Ending Things by Iain Reid

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #3096 on: November 11, 2020, 08:07:06 PM »
Night Prey by John Sandford

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3097 on: November 12, 2020, 05:43:51 AM »
I've read so damned many "Prey" books that I can't recall details, but as an anthology they are fantastic. Davenports life, the characters, their concerns, everything feel so real. They're like family at this point.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #3098 on: November 12, 2020, 05:48:53 AM »
Currently reading Insomnia by Stephen king. Only in a King book can I be 200 pages in but feel like the book is still getting started. Coming from an era of king where many of his books were so bloated that he has even poked fun at them. I do overall like it so far though.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3099 on: November 12, 2020, 11:31:14 PM »
That was one of his books I just couldn't connect with. I was really into it for the first 1/3 or so, but the rest of it sort of lost me.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #3100 on: November 13, 2020, 06:05:28 AM »
That was one of his books I just couldn't connect with. I was really into it for the first 1/3 or so, but the rest of it sort of lost me.

That's how I feel about cell. I've tried twice to read that one
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3101 on: November 13, 2020, 09:00:30 AM »
I really liked Cell but still think Insomnia is one of King's worst books. That's tastes for you.  ;D
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3102 on: November 13, 2020, 08:02:56 PM »
Cell was one of those books where I moderately enjoyed it while reading it at best, yet once it was over I could barely remember a thing about it, it made such a minimal impact on me.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3103 on: November 13, 2020, 09:00:43 PM »
Wow, can't believe it took me that long to finish Mistborn, which tells you how mediocre I thought it was (controversial opinion, I know)

Anyway, with the sequel due out at the end of the month, I'd thought I'd reread Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3104 on: November 15, 2020, 12:38:34 PM »
Diving into some classic science fiction with Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3105 on: November 15, 2020, 12:40:37 PM »
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs. Eh... first half was good.

Now halfway through The Turn of the Key by Ruth Ware. Best book I've read in a while, which is not saying much at all.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3106 on: November 16, 2020, 12:47:12 PM »
Practical Demonkeeping by Christopher Moore
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3107 on: November 16, 2020, 02:00:19 PM »
After having read Not Since Carrie a while back, I had hoped an updated version would come out one day. TA DA! Musical Misfires: Three Decades of Broadway Musical Heartbreak by Mark A. Robinson and Thomas S. Hischak

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3108 on: November 18, 2020, 06:41:23 AM »
The Courage to Be by Paul Tillich
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3109 on: November 19, 2020, 06:30:09 AM »
Well I worked through the entire (original, by Fleming) James Bond series.   Twelve (I think) novels; I'm a big fan. Different from the movie, but I liked them.   

Now I've taken the plunge:  I'm 75 pages in to A Game Of Thrones.  I've seen the series, but MAN, the book is so rich with detail, even though I (think I) know everything that's coming, it's so engaging.   I'm loving it so far.   I'm not a fan of the two gentlemen that produced the series (my daughter and I just refer to them as "the two db's") and each page hardens my resolve on that.   They did a lot right (at least so far; I guess I'm two episodes in, AT BEST!) but whether it was me or the scope or the presentation, there was so much nuance lost, IMO.  (One example:  it never dawned on me that Catelyn would not only want Jon to join the Black so she didn't have to see him - and her husband's infidelity - on a daily basis, but that he would not be able to sire children to compete with her own for Winterfell.   Two: the wanderlust of both Bran and Arya is far more evident in the books.   Maybe it was the kid actors, but I just sort of got the impression they were brat kids in the series, but the logic and connection of their points of view to each other and to the Stark line is far more clear.  I disliked Bran intensely in the series and never warmed to Arya, but I sense that might be different in the books.). 

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3110 on: November 19, 2020, 06:39:11 AM »
Stadler, if you're enjoying it so much, I bet you'll love the first three books. For books 4 and 5 the opinions are more divided, but the first three are praised by the most readers.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #3111 on: November 19, 2020, 11:09:43 AM »
Yeah. A Storm of Swords might be my favorite book of all time. Too bad you know what's coming in that one though.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3112 on: November 19, 2020, 11:17:46 AM »
Yeah, the first three are as good as it gets. Books four and five I found very enjoyable but not as good. Not sure if we ever see books six and seven.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3113 on: November 19, 2020, 04:30:12 PM »
Keeping nonfiction November going full steam with Game On: How Nintendo Conquered the World by David Sheff

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #3114 on: November 19, 2020, 06:47:32 PM »
I've read the first two Bond books and liked them. Moonraker is next but is the book as silly as the movie?