Author Topic: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings  (Read 288449 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings
« Reply #2730 on: April 07, 2020, 07:47:04 AM »
Been out of sorts with my reading for a few years now, and would like to get back into the habit. Pulled out my copy of Dune to break the mold, pretty due for a re-read since it's been a good 15 years and with the movie coming out later this year, it just just seems a good time.
Classic.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2731 on: April 08, 2020, 07:12:26 AM »
Grave Peril by Jim Butcher

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2732 on: April 09, 2020, 11:11:12 AM »
The Road to Perdition by Max Allan Collins

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2733 on: April 09, 2020, 01:00:27 PM »
That didn't take long at all. And it's back to Dresden, with Summer Knight by Jim Butcher

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2734 on: April 09, 2020, 01:27:48 PM »
That didn't take long at all. And it's back to Dresden, with Summer Knight by Jim Butcher
With how fast you read, and with how quick the Dresden books move, you'll be done the series by next week at this pace

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2735 on: April 09, 2020, 01:29:15 PM »
With how fast you read, and with how quick the Dresden books move, you'll be done the series by next week at this pace

Fortunately, we have two new Dresden Files books coming out this year!
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2736 on: April 09, 2020, 01:39:48 PM »

Is that so? I didn't hear about another one after Peace Talks

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2737 on: April 09, 2020, 01:41:51 PM »

Never read but hell of a movie.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2738 on: April 09, 2020, 01:51:33 PM »

Yup. Peace Talks in July and Battle Ground in September. Butcher claims the two books are pretty serialized and required being released one after the other.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2739 on: April 09, 2020, 02:57:15 PM »

Yup. Peace Talks in July and Battle Ground in September. Butcher claims the two books are pretty serialized and required being released one after the other.
Awesome. He owes us anyways for the 5 year gap since the last one

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2740 on: April 09, 2020, 04:38:48 PM »
That's good news for The Dresden Files but I still have four or five books to read till I get there.

And I'm pretty sure that Masterthes will overtake me fast.  :D
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2741 on: April 11, 2020, 01:47:44 PM »

There are some differences. Without spoilers, there's no Jude Law character, Mike Jr. is a much more pleasant character, and the character that Newman played had not a lot of "screen time" . Also, the book has a darker finish than the movie

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2742 on: April 11, 2020, 02:41:22 PM »
Orlando Furioso by Ludovico Ariosto. Taking a break from Dresden to read an epic poem, since it is Poetry Month. I read a prose translation of this many years in college, which was one of my favorite things I read there and always was curious to read it in its original verse

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2743 on: April 11, 2020, 05:05:17 PM »

There are some differences. Without spoilers, there's no Jude Law character, Mike Jr. is a much more pleasant character, and the character that Newman played had not a lot of "screen time" . Also, the book has a darker finish than the movie

Appreciate that. I guess if you cast Paul Newman in your film, you need to give him some screen time. You don't sign LeBron and keep him on the bench for 35 minutes. Him, Hanks, Law, and Craig put on a clinic in that film. And obviously the cinematography was A+.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2744 on: April 13, 2020, 02:34:03 PM »
Taking a break from the Furioso, because my hold of Harry Dresden bundle books 7 through 12 just came through, so I need to play catch up with Death Masks by Jim Butcher

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2745 on: April 13, 2020, 08:07:49 PM »
Anyone do the Red Rising series? I just finished Dark Age.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #2746 on: April 13, 2020, 11:09:26 PM »
Currently reading through Neil deGrasse Tyson's Death by Black Hole. Seems to be a fairly basic introduction into the world (or universe, rather) of astrophysics but still rife with plenty of information I wasn't aware of before, and also made incredibly clear and concise enough to follow along with.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2747 on: April 14, 2020, 07:56:48 AM »
Commander in Cheat: How Golf Explains Trump - Rick Reilly

I've spent a lot of time laughing out loud at this one. So much so, that I've been disturbing my wife and dog!  :lol

Just read a few snippets, I'll definitely have to pick this up

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2748 on: April 14, 2020, 08:34:00 PM »
Death Masks is my favorite in the series so far. It's on to Blood Rites

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2749 on: April 14, 2020, 08:58:14 PM »
So now that libraries as physically closed, everyone is checking out ebooks, which is great as I am a big fan of reading and I am glad people still read books in 2020, but damn if it makes it hard to find a book to check out!

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2750 on: April 14, 2020, 10:03:15 PM »
So now that libraries as physically closed, everyone is checking out ebooks, which is great as I am a big fan of reading and I am glad people still read books in 2020, but damn if it makes it hard to find a book to check out!
Do they only have a certain number of eBook copies? I'm completely ignorant to how eBooks work at a library works. I'm a bibliophile, so the thought of returning a book after reading it is foreign to me

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2751 on: April 14, 2020, 10:14:12 PM »
Correct. I assume the library has a certain number of licenses on the book for them to loan out digitally. 

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2752 on: April 16, 2020, 05:40:21 PM »
Men of Tomorrow: Geeks, Gangsters, and the Birth of the Comic Book by Gerard Jones

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2753 on: April 19, 2020, 03:59:34 AM »
Dead Beat by Jim Butcher

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2754 on: April 19, 2020, 04:46:18 PM »
I am intrigued by this Jim Butcher series but most of them are checked out of my library. Is it a series you need to read chronologically?

Reading Joyland by Stephen King.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2755 on: April 19, 2020, 06:00:02 PM »
So far, he gives you enough information that you probably could pick it up at any point, but at the same time, you would miss out on how the characters (especially Harry) develop over the series. Each book takes place within half a year to a year between each other

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2756 on: April 19, 2020, 07:42:47 PM »
Thanks much. I am waiting for the first one to be available but it has a ton of holds on it. I started the Jack Reacher books in the middle somewhere and don't feel it affected my enjoyment much having to backtrack to the beginning.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2757 on: April 19, 2020, 08:10:56 PM »
Reacher can be read in any order. Most have no mention whatsoever of prior events. Dresden should be read in order if you can. There would definitely be spoilers, otherwise

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2758 on: April 20, 2020, 11:20:55 AM »
Yeah, read the Dresden books in order, although it takes two or three books for the series to really take off. There is an overlying story arc and people that appear constantly and aren't properly introduced each time they appear. That said a character named Michael isn't properly introduced at all.  :D
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2759 on: April 20, 2020, 11:50:22 AM »
Lost Christianities: The Battles for Scripture and the Faiths We Never Knew by Bart D. Ehrman
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2760 on: April 20, 2020, 01:16:35 PM »
Yeah, read the Dresden books in order, although it takes two or three books for the series to really take off. There is an overlying story arc and people that appear constantly and aren't properly introduced each time they appear. That said a character named Michael isn't properly introduced at all.  :D

Yeah, it's like you just open book 3 I think and there he is as if you know him already.

That being said, definitely read Dresden in order. The first few books aren't great, so if it's absolutely not your thing you can start either from book 3 (Grave Peril) or book 7 (Dead Beat), although I wouldn't recommend skipping anything from Grave Peril onwards. There are plot points that are absolutely essential to the overarching narrative there. That being said, Dead Beat was designed by Jim Butcher to be an alternative entry point to the series, so if you absolutely can't stand the writing in the first six books, you can try this one.

In my experience, I had trouble with the first two books, the third was 50/50 for me, but I was hooked with the Summer Knight, the fourth book in the series, and it just kept getting better and better from there. I'm in the middle of my re-read (on Proven Guilty right now) and I can't wait for the next two books to come out.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2761 on: April 20, 2020, 01:19:46 PM »
Thank you for the feedback guys. I am not a fast reader, so taking on a new series that starts out slow doesn't sound too appealing, but I've heard good things about this and want to give it a go.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2762 on: April 20, 2020, 01:25:01 PM »
The overall story arc takes a few books, but i thought the books were entertaining from the start. Some good comedy. A touch silly at times

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2763 on: April 21, 2020, 05:42:30 AM »
Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2764 on: April 21, 2020, 05:45:05 AM »
New Mark Lawrence book release day! Just woke up and see The Girl and the Stars was delivered to my Kindle. I'll be reading that as soon as I'm able.