Author Topic: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings  (Read 286415 times)

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
Re: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings
« Reply #245 on: December 16, 2014, 01:15:17 PM »
Finished Revival by Stephen King. I enjoyed it! Not one of his best, but a solid coming-of-age story with some disturbing-ass shit at the end. Just started The Martian by Andy Weir in audiobook format. So far so good!

Offline masterthes

« Reply #246 on: December 17, 2014, 05:07:20 AM »
Egg & Spoon by Gregory Maguire

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #247 on: December 17, 2014, 03:27:43 PM »
I want to read Don Quixote but my library has 48 search results, and there are apparently many many english translations.  Is there one that is considered definitive?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #248 on: December 17, 2014, 03:28:30 PM »
Any good recommendations for book on Hockey?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #249 on: December 17, 2014, 06:48:12 PM »
Just finished Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb. Not sure how to feel about it. There where some parts, specially when the magic is shown, that were really awesome. But there is a lot of filler in the middle. Boring stories about Fitz' daily routine and the like. But overall, I liked it. Already bought the next two, so Royal Assassin shall be started soon.

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #250 on: December 17, 2014, 11:23:39 PM »
Finished Revival. Damn, what a great book. Loved it. Reading John Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath now.
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #251 on: December 18, 2014, 02:15:51 PM »
After a couple of weeks of not being able to decide what to read I read a handful of ghost books...or as my brother refers to this type as bump in the night stuff.
All just gave the author a chance to tell of their own experiences and those had by others....all pretty good quick reads each done in a couple of hours.

Vanquishing ghosts and demons (A Medium's Harrowing Tales of Removing Evil Spirits) by Sandrea Mosses
Adventures of a Ghost Hunter (My investigations into the darkness) by Adam Nori
The Ghost in the Coal Cellar (true case files from a lone investigator) by Andrea Mesich
Haunted Stuff (Demonic Dolls, Screaming Skulls & other creepy collectibles) by Stacey Graham
Missing and Presumed Dead (A Psychic's Search for Justice) by Gale St. John

Can't decide what to read next....may start a David Sedaris book Let's explore diabetes with owls

Offline adace

« Reply #252 on: December 23, 2014, 11:38:45 PM »
Finished Bird Box by Josh Malerman. Really fascinating premise, one that he expands upon brilliantly. I wish he added more details about the creatures, but it's a great story nevertheless. He really has a knack for the depicting the psychological side of horror.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #253 on: December 25, 2014, 09:18:40 PM »
Finished Royal Assassin by Robin Hobb yesterday. I still have the same mixed feelings like the previous book, but I felt this one was a bit better. And the plot twists were really clever. Started Assassin's Quest today, and it's quite interesting so far.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #254 on: December 25, 2014, 10:43:36 PM »
Royal Assassin was my favorite of the three. Amazing ending to that book. Quest is also very good, but not as good as Royal was IMO.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #255 on: December 26, 2014, 04:47:04 AM »
Finished Revival by Stephen King. I enjoyed it! Not one of his best, but a solid coming-of-age story with some disturbing-ass shit at the end.

Finished Revival. Damn, what a great book. Loved it.
I got this for Christmas, so this will be the next thing I read.  Should start it later today or tomorrow.  Really looking forward to it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #256 on: December 26, 2014, 08:28:27 AM »
Amazing ending to that book.
Oh yes, I loved how everything slowly fell apart in his life till the ending. It stroked me so hard - I almost cried :'( .

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #257 on: December 26, 2014, 10:00:39 AM »
OK, I started it on my lunch break.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #258 on: December 27, 2014, 07:30:04 AM »
Tower Lord by Anthony Ryan

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #259 on: December 27, 2014, 08:08:05 AM »
I'm into the sixth chapter of Ulysses. Not as much trouble so far as I feel the book is made out to be. It's a bit more challenging than your average read, but not impossible. I've heard enough about later chapters to know it's going to get more puzzling as it goes on, but quite a fun read so far, I love the mundaneness - details like Bloom eyeing up a woman in the street while his friend is talking to him - and the sheer extent of the inner dialogue of the characters you're privy to.
Now 2/3rds of the way through, only four chapters to go. It's quite ironic that I posted about it in the sixth chapter, as it's in the seventh that the book really starts to go stylistically balmy, sometimes in a good way, sometimes in a not so good way.

The most recent chapter, for example, (Oxen of the Sun) was the most difficult of the book so far. The procession/evolution of styles throughout the chapter is really quite taxing. And yet the last ten pages of it, when the prose has descended into an almost completely incomprehensible chaos, was one of the most astonishing parts of the book so far.

This book has been really amazing overall though. It reminds me a lot of Moby Dick (one of my favourite books), in that both Joyce and Melville are totally flying in the face of the regular way to write a novel because fuck it, I'm telling this story the way I wanna tell it.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: December 27, 2014, 04:47:35 PM »
Today I was wondering how could it be that some countries have these awful covers while others have some outstanding artworks. Normally it's the original edition the best one, but with the Farseer trilogy, it's the Spanish edition the most beautiful one, while normally it's backwards.

Or hardcover/paperback vs ebook.

Or those weird covers that say nothing about the book. Or are just plain horrible.

It wouldn't look worse with Comic Sans.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #261 on: January 03, 2015, 05:16:50 AM »
Finished Revival by Stephen King.  I thought it was his best novel since Lisey's Story.  Very good writing, but unlike most of his books, nothing uplifting or hopeful here.  And that ending was actually pretty hellish, in every sense of the word.  *shudders*

Still in a horror mood, so I pulled an oldie off the shelf: The Horror Hall of Fame, edited by Robert Silverberg & Martin H. Greenberg.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #262 on: January 03, 2015, 11:33:27 AM »
I just finished Neil Gaiman's American Gods- so fucking good! Normally I have trouble with books that long but I tore through it in two airplane flights and a few mini-sessions.

I also recently read Chuck Palahniuk's new one, Beautiful You. It wasn't his best, but I enjoyed it. Lots of disturbing commentary.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #263 on: January 03, 2015, 12:50:23 PM »
I just finished Neil Gaiman's American Gods- so fucking good! Normally I have trouble with books that long but I tore through it in two airplane flights and a few mini-sessions.
Is that the first time you've read it? It's a strong contender for my absolute favourite book. So, so brilliant.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #264 on: January 03, 2015, 01:43:59 PM »
Yes, first time. I have a few friends who feel the same way you do, so I finally got around to it and did not regret that!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #265 on: January 03, 2015, 01:47:22 PM »
:tup :D

I be am boner inducing.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #266 on: January 03, 2015, 04:38:38 PM »
American Gods is definitely in my top 100, and certainly my favorite solo work by Gaiman (would rank 2nd after Good Omens)

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #267 on: January 03, 2015, 07:41:38 PM »
This is the first work of his I've read, but it won't be the last. I already put Fragile Things on hold from the library... and I have the first Sandman book sitting on my record player, waiting.

« Reply #268 on: January 03, 2015, 10:56:46 PM »
This is the first work of his I've read, but it won't be the last. I already put Fragile Things on hold from the library... and I have the first Sandman book sitting on my record player, waiting.
Sandman is the best comic series I've ever read. Easily.

Neverwhere, Anansi Boys, and Good Omens are all highly enjoyable as well.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #269 on: January 03, 2015, 11:28:45 PM »
I finally started A Dance With Dragons. I have time before the new season starts on HBO so I want to make sure I don't miss anything in the book.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #270 on: January 04, 2015, 12:11:05 AM »
Sandman is the best comic series I've ever read. Easily.

Neverwhere, Anansi Boys, and Good Omens are all highly enjoyable as well.

Cool... yeah, a lot of people I know love Sandman. Plus hef told me I have to read it recently, so I must obey :hefdaddy

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #271 on: January 04, 2015, 03:56:42 AM »
I am pleased.

The first book is good, but everything after is much better.  So if at any point you question it, just remember you need to read that to get to the next one.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #272 on: January 04, 2015, 04:01:01 AM »
Yeah, Preludes & Nocturnes is a great introduction, but is really just an introduction. Some of the later books are incredible.

I be am boner inducing.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #273 on: January 04, 2015, 04:08:16 AM »
Yeah, Preludes & Nocturnes is a great introduction, but is really just an introduction. Some of the later books are incredible.
Season of Mists FTW

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #274 on: January 04, 2015, 04:25:21 AM »
I loved American Gods! I really need to read more of his stuff but haven't got round to it yet.

I did go see him in Edinburgh though, he was doing a reading of a short story The Truth Is A Cave In The Black Mountains with a quartet playing music and an artist's images projected, I've never been to anything like it before and it was absolutely incredible.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #275 on: January 04, 2015, 04:35:45 AM »
Season of Mists FTW
Yes. Yes yes yes!

Doll's House, Brief Lives and The Kindly Ones are my other favourites.

I be am boner inducing.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #276 on: January 04, 2015, 05:07:48 AM »
I did go see him in Edinburgh though, he was doing a reading of a short story The Truth Is A Cave In The Black Mountains with a quartet playing music and an artist's images projected, I've never been to anything like it before and it was absolutely incredible.
:metal

« Reply #277 on: January 04, 2015, 08:56:06 AM »
Well, Preludes & Nocturnes has "24 Hours" which is an awesome story and more than makes up for any of its other deficiencies IMO.

Season of Mists FTW
Yes. Yes yes yes!

Doll's House, Brief Lives and The Kindly Ones are my other favourites.
I would very much agree with that list.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #278 on: January 04, 2015, 05:23:47 PM »
Finally finished Chronicles of the Black Company, an omnibus containing the first three books of Glen Cook's The Black Company series.

They definitely get better after the first one. The Croaker-centric POV, in The Black Company, and his choppy style of "writing" make that first book feel a bit disjointed and like one misses stuff that happens because Croaker just glosses over things. Adding different POVs as in Shadows Linger and The White Rose definitely made things better. Also the prose got better with each subsequent book. I look forward to checking out The Books of the South.

But for now I can finally begin King's Revival!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #279 on: January 08, 2015, 02:24:48 PM »
Revival was a great read! As hef said, not one bit of hopefulness in it and my god what images given at the end!

Next up, R. Scott Bakker's The Darkness that Comes Before.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.