Author Topic: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings  (Read 289652 times)

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Re: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings
« Reply #2345 on: April 19, 2019, 02:26:47 AM »
Dead Beat by Jim Butcher
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2346 on: April 24, 2019, 03:50:16 PM »
So, instead of reading a shorter book, I'm going to get my history on and read a one volume history of the Civil War before committing myself to a multi volume history (Like Foote or Catton) with Battle Cry of Freedom by James M. McPherson

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2347 on: April 29, 2019, 02:07:56 PM »
Just One Damned Thing After Another by Jodi Taylor

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2348 on: April 30, 2019, 09:45:11 AM »
My Grave Ritual by GS Denning

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2349 on: May 01, 2019, 04:50:16 AM »
Starting off May with The Hangman's Daughter by Oliver Potzsch. Been eyeing this one for a while

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2350 on: May 02, 2019, 02:14:10 PM »
For something a bit lighter, I'll be reading Creator by Jeremy Leven. I wasn't that into his Satan book, but this looks to be more in my alley

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2351 on: May 02, 2019, 09:00:01 PM »
I like how your idea of "something a bit lighter" is a book about "an aging Noble Prize-winning biologist, is attempting to create life; specifically, to re-create his adored late wife by implanting her clone in a loving but reluctant 19-year-old nymphomaniac, and do it before his conventional son can have him committed to an asylum."  :biggrin:
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2352 on: May 04, 2019, 01:45:24 PM »
If you enjoy comedies give Denning's Warlock Holmes series a try. There's plenty of laugh out loud moments,  and he's been improving since the debut. They're good fun.

Harry Potter et les Reliques de la Mort by Rowling

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2353 on: May 06, 2019, 03:03:19 AM »
Well, yeah, I was a bit off on my preconception there lol

Now reading The Reborn King by Michael R. Miller. The last few books I've read (although Hangman's Daughter was pretty decent) have been a bit underwhelming. Hopefully, getting back into fantasy for a bit, I'll find something good

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2354 on: May 09, 2019, 02:32:35 AM »
On to book two of the trilogy, Veiled Intentions

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #2355 on: May 09, 2019, 03:10:11 AM »
The Wind Through The Keyhole by Stephen King

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2356 on: May 09, 2019, 11:43:42 AM »

How are you liking this, Kwyjibo? Rather, how far in are you? I only ever read the book once, and don't want to color your impressions with mine, so I'm curious on your take.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2357 on: May 09, 2019, 11:46:12 AM »
I'm not him, but hey, it's a public discussion thread. I liked it a lot actually. Much better than at least books 6, 7 and 1 for me.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2358 on: May 09, 2019, 11:55:18 AM »
I'm not him, but hey, it's a public discussion thread. I liked it a lot actually. Much better than at least books 6, 7 and 1 for me.

If I was to rank them, I would probably do it this way, favorite to least:

The Dark Tower
The Drawing of the Three
Wolves of the Calla
The Waste Lands
The Gunslinger
The Wind Through The Keyhole
Wizard & Glass
Song of Susannah
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #2359 on: May 09, 2019, 11:59:32 AM »

How are you liking this, Kwyjibo? Rather, how far in are you? I only ever read the book once, and don't want to color your impressions with mine, so I'm curious on your take.

I'm not very far in, but this is a re-read. The first time I read it, I really enjoyed it. It does nothing to drive the overall Dark Tower story on, but it was nice visiting mid-world again. Wouldn't go as far as evermind, but it's clearly better than 1 and maybe better than 6, imo.

Edit: ranking time  :metal

Wizard & Glass
The Drawing Of The Three
Wolves Of The Calla
The Dark Tower
The Waste Lands
Song Of Susannah
The Gunslinger

But as I'm only halfway through with rereading the series my opinion on books SoS, WotC and TDT may change when I read them for the second time.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 12:04:49 PM by Kwyjibo »

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2360 on: May 09, 2019, 12:05:52 PM »
Katt: in retrospect, Wizard and Glass was so much better than any of the rest for me that I'm baffled how you can rank it second to last. :lol Tastes!

In fact I wish they did a movie for the Wizard and Glass story instead of that... thing they did.

Wizard & Glass
The Drawing Of The Three
Wolves Of The Calla
The Dark Tower
The Waste Lands
Song Of Susannah
The Gunslinger

This is a lot closer to mine, except I would swap The Dark Tower with The Waste Lands I think.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2361 on: May 09, 2019, 12:07:21 PM »

If I was to rank them, I would probably do it this way, favorite to least:

The Dark Tower
The Drawing of the Three
Wolves of the Calla
The Waste Lands
The Gunslinger
Wizard & Glass
Song of Susannah

How on earth did you find the Gunslinger better than W&G lol? I understand DT6 being at the bottom, but DT7 at the top of your list and DT1 ahead of anything but DT6 seems crazy to me. Or I guess, what didn't you like about W&G for it to be so low in your ranking?

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #2362 on: May 09, 2019, 12:17:50 PM »
Yeah, W&G being so low surprised me as well.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2363 on: May 09, 2019, 12:23:12 PM »
While we're speaking of Stephen King, by the way, why don't you guys recommend me something from him? I've read a few books and one of my friends is a big fan so I love to discuss King's works with him, but this time I want your recommendation. I've read:

The Dark Tower series - thought it was a bit inconsistent, books 2, 3, 4, 5 and Wind Through the Keyhole were great, the rest were hit and miss (6 was pretty bad);
The Eyes of the Dragon - wasn't too much into it, felt a bit too much like children's book;
The Dead Zone - my first King's book, mostly liked it;
The Stand - way too bloated, mostly wasn't a fan at all except for the time they're in the town (the whole council and Harold Lauder bit);
Thinner - didn't like it at all;
11/22/63 - this one was actually pretty good, enjoyed most of it;
The Shining - aside from Dark Tower novels, this one was probably my favourite from King, great storytelling and plot, loved this.

I have IT on my bookshelf but figured I'd ask you if perhaps there's something better to read.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2364 on: May 09, 2019, 12:30:19 PM »
W&G is just a slog. It's not a bad book, but the other books are just that good. My first time through the series, The Waste Lands was so compelling from start to finish that I just wanted to get back to the present day and on with Roland's journey. There are several spots in W&G where I just get sick of the characters and sometimes there is very little actually happening. I like some of Roland's backstory, but some of W&G is simply tedious. Song of Susannah is only lower because it's kind of a chaotic mess despite how short it is.

The Gunslinger is a really cool first book for a series, imo, and does a great job setting this weird, surreal tone for the series. I think it's more compelling and consistently entertaining than W&G so it ranks higher.

TD7 might be my single favorite fantasy novel ever. From Patrick's introduction until the end I am just floored by how interesting and epic the world is. Everything about it, the Crimson King, Patrick's duel with him, the heartbreaking epilogue, man, I could gush about it all day, especially the illustrations in my edition of the Tower in the field of roses and the Crimson King on his throne of skulls. I read that entire book in a single day. I don't think I've done that with any other book that size.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2365 on: May 09, 2019, 12:32:17 PM »
W&G is just a slog.

Man, no wonder I've lost so drastically in your roulette. :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2366 on: May 09, 2019, 12:39:42 PM »
While we're speaking of Stephen King, by the way, why don't you guys recommend me something from him? I've read a few books and one of my friends is a big fan so I love to discuss King's works with him, but this time I want your recommendation. I've read:

Carrie
Pet Sematary
and especially Misery would be my recommendations for his horror stuff.

As for Mystery/Thriller you can't beat the three Hodges books:
Mr. Mercedes
Finders Keepers
End of Watch
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #2367 on: May 09, 2019, 12:39:56 PM »
For King, It is it. Maybe his best book. But this too is a bit bloated, just like almost all of his books. He's the prog-writer of horror when it comes to length.

Then I enjoyed most of his early books, Salem's Lot, Firestarter, Running Man (totally different from the movie), Pet Sematary. The Green Mile was also fun to read, and his early short-story collections, Skeleton Crew, Different Seasons and Nightshift are worth checking out too.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2368 on: May 09, 2019, 12:45:40 PM »
Right, I've read The Green Mile too, forgot to mention it.

I'm kinda curious about the non-horror stuff more, too. Although I've never read any horror besides King, so I guess I might as well delve into some real horror by him, too.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2369 on: May 09, 2019, 12:47:43 PM »
The Shining is pretty horrific!  :)

Just don't read The Tommyknockers. I'm not kidding, don't even go there.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2370 on: May 09, 2019, 12:55:01 PM »
The Shining, yeah, it was horror I guess, but what I liked about it the most is a neat plot. Mostly everything that was mentioned earlier came into play there. But hey, I also liked the redrum thing as much as any other person I guess.

Funny you say that, because my friend is actually recommending me The Tommyknockers. I guess he's doing it just to fuck with me. :lol

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #2371 on: May 09, 2019, 01:07:38 PM »
The Tommyknockers is very mediocre but for me Insomnia and Rose Madder are worse.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2372 on: May 09, 2019, 02:28:08 PM »
Insomnia isn't very good you say? I'm wondering if that's why King promotes it in The Dark Tower lol. Gotta drive up the sales.

Definitely read Salem's  Lot. I read it before my second time through the Wolves of the Calla to get more on Callahan's backstory, and I really enjoyed it.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2373 on: May 09, 2019, 02:33:46 PM »
The Exodus by Richard Elliott Friedman
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2374 on: May 11, 2019, 06:13:31 AM »
Ranking the Dark Tower series, huh?

Drawing of the Three
Waste Lands
Wizard & Glass
Wolves of the Calla
Wind Through the Keyhole
The Dark Tower
Song of Susannah
Gunslinger

Insomnia is far better than Tommyknockers

My personal top 5 Stephen King:
1. IT
2. The Stand
3. Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption
4. The Shining
5. Pet Semetary

and while I'm here, I'm currently wrapping up The Dragon Blade trilogy with The Last Guardian

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2375 on: May 14, 2019, 03:16:36 PM »
I've just had the urge to reread the original Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice, so naturally, starting off with Interview With the Vampire

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2376 on: May 14, 2019, 03:47:47 PM »
I've just had the urge to reread the original Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice, so naturally, starting off with Interview With the Vampire

What do you consider the 'originals'? For me, that means the first 5 since there was a huge gap between Memnoch and Blood Canticle. Honestly though, I used to love her work, but the quality took a dive off a cliff for me after Tale of the Body Thief. And Queen of the Damned was pretty weak, too.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2377 on: May 14, 2019, 04:40:11 PM »
Dune Messiah, the second Dune book

I love the first book, but never got around to reading the next one until now. So far so good

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2378 on: May 15, 2019, 03:45:51 AM »
From Interview to Memnoch

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2379 on: May 15, 2019, 12:58:40 PM »

If you liked The Shining, I would recommend Pet Sematary, Christine, and Misery. Shorter than what people generally think of for a King novel; all tense, well-crafted with plenty of horror and heart.

It is my favorite novel by anyone, but if The Stand was a slog for you, I might recommend this less, though I think the pacing is faster in It.

Stay away from The Tommyknockers. Stay farther away from Dreamcatcher.

In terms of "non-horror" I cannot recommend Bag of Bones highly enough. It is an amazing book, and while it has a lot of King in it, it is one of those experiences where I could honestly forget who the writer was, I was so wrapped up in the story.

Lisey's Story is also good, though a bit longer and slower. I am re-reading that one now.

FWIW, those two are #3 and #1 on Watchmojo's list of Top 10 underrated King novels.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'