Author Topic: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings  (Read 289052 times)

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
Re: The Currently Reading Thread v. A Clash of Kings
« Reply #1855 on: March 28, 2018, 12:51:29 PM »
Pride and Prejudiced... not sure if I'll make it through. Some reason these old "classics" are difficult for me to digest.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1856 on: March 28, 2018, 07:44:46 PM »
Taking a bit of a break from the Trollope and switching over to God Knows by Joseph Heller. Catch-22 has always been one of my favorite books and I've always wanted to see what else he wrote, so we'll see how this goes. It's King David telling the story of his life and I've always been a sucker for theological fiction

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1857 on: March 30, 2018, 10:22:31 PM »
Just finished up with some Agatha Christie, trying to knock out the remaining books of hers I haven't ever read.

Moving on to Stephen King's Lisey's Story. I read it years ago, and for some strange reason cannot remember a thing about it, other than the basic premise, and the fact that I thoroughly enjoyed it.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1858 on: March 31, 2018, 03:42:01 PM »
White Night

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1859 on: March 31, 2018, 09:18:35 PM »
I just started day trading a couple of weeks ago, so I'm reading a book on technical analysis, Getting Started in Technical Analysis by Jack D. Schwager. It's one of the most recommended books on the subject.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1860 on: April 02, 2018, 07:09:44 PM »
DNF'd God Knows. Still plugging away on the Trollope. It's a little slow, but there's enough there to keep my interest. I probably still have roughly 200 pages to go, but I'm taking a bit of a break because I got Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan off my hold list

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1861 on: April 03, 2018, 10:51:04 AM »
Finished The Drawing of the Three by Stephen King. Wow, that was one of the best things from him I've read. Looks like you guys were right about this one.

Now thinking of either plunging ahead with The Waste Lands or take a small break and read something else.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1862 on: April 03, 2018, 03:01:33 PM »
I think The Waste Lands is just as good

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #1863 on: April 03, 2018, 04:05:49 PM »
Got Grey Sister by Mark Lawrence but I'm still reading Oathbringer so it might be a while before I get to that.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1864 on: April 04, 2018, 11:32:59 AM »
Yup

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1865 on: April 04, 2018, 11:33:36 AM »
Small Favor

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1866 on: April 04, 2018, 12:11:42 PM »
Yup

This, and imo Wizard and Glass is even better.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1867 on: April 04, 2018, 12:15:15 PM »
Yup

Wizard and Glass is the one I'm looking forward to the most. I've heard so many good things about it.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1868 on: April 04, 2018, 02:14:53 PM »
The Witchwood Crown by Tad Williams
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1869 on: April 04, 2018, 03:51:59 PM »
I liked The Wast Lands a lot, but less than The Drawing of Three. Still better then The Gunslinger tho.

Yup

Wizard and Glass is the one I'm looking forward to the most. I've heard so many good things about it.
It's very good, but there are some things I found kind of dumb or downright annoying - since it's mostly a huge flashback about Roland's teen years, some stuff typical of the age rubbed me the wrong way, but nothing too serious.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1870 on: April 04, 2018, 07:45:07 PM »
Problem with starting the Wastelands is that you're gonna end up going straight into Wizard and Glass after, so you better be committed. No way around it, really.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1871 on: April 04, 2018, 07:58:23 PM »
Yeah, The Waste Lands ends in a bit of a cliffhanger so beware :P

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1872 on: April 05, 2018, 07:44:22 AM »
One of the best cliffhangers in literature IMO. I was so glad I was able to read Wizard and Glass right after. I can't imagine the wait people had to endure. I seem to recall there was a long wait between the two books, kind of similar to what us Game of Thrones fans are going through right now

Anyway, giving essay reading a try with Bully for Brontosaurus by Stephen Jay Gould

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1873 on: April 05, 2018, 12:02:40 PM »
Problem with starting the Wastelands is that you're gonna end up going straight into Wizard and Glass after, so you better be committed. No way around it, really.

Alright, that's good to know, thank you.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1874 on: April 06, 2018, 08:46:50 AM »
So, I'm putting the Gould book temporarily on hold to participate in the reddit Fantasy board's Bingo challenge, which I'll be doing for a while, because I will not be satisfied with only completing one row (5 books). I'll be looking to finish the whole card (25 books) before the end of next March.

For my first book, I'm going to be reading Omens of Fury by Sean Hinn, which I'll be using to either complete the non Western setting or the less than 25,000 ratings on Goodreads square

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #1875 on: April 06, 2018, 10:10:22 AM »
Bertolt Brecht - Der gute Mensch von Sezuan

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1876 on: April 06, 2018, 10:05:04 PM »
Finished Pluto. Damn beautiful, deep, and mature manga by Naoki Urasawa, a very creative re-imagining of Astro Boy. A very sad story about the world's greatest robots being murdered, in a time where they have the same rights as humans and AIs are almost indistinguishable from us. It's not too long, and I highly recommend it.

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #1877 on: April 07, 2018, 01:55:39 PM »
Read Cycle of the Werewolf, by Stephen King a few days ago. Now reading A Prayer for Owen Meany, by John Irving.
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1878 on: April 07, 2018, 08:46:53 PM »
Turn Coat

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1879 on: April 08, 2018, 06:35:37 AM »
Steve Turner - Beatles '66: The Revolutionary Year
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1880 on: April 09, 2018, 06:45:32 PM »
Smoke and Mirrors by Neil Gaiman. One of the challenges in the r/Fantasy Bingo is to read five short stories, or the hard mode option is to read an anthology of stories, thus this book

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1881 on: April 11, 2018, 06:42:44 AM »
I'm going to use A Feast of Crows to satisfy one of my bingo squares, but because it's been a while, I'm going to reread A Storm of Swords first

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1882 on: April 11, 2018, 03:13:04 PM »
Changes by Butcher

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #1883 on: April 12, 2018, 05:26:39 AM »
Comte de Lautréamont - Les Chants de Maldoror  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1884 on: April 12, 2018, 07:19:54 AM »
Started reading Sandman, finished Vol. 1. Very interesting and creative stuff, looking forward to the rest of the series.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1885 on: April 12, 2018, 09:33:09 AM »
It gets really good after the first volume. As the title suggests, it was really just a prelude (even though Gaiman would go back a bit farther with Overture)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1886 on: April 12, 2018, 09:39:53 AM »
Changes by Butcher

:corn

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT READ THE SMALL TEXT BELOW if you haven't finished the novel, major spoilers:

I was spoiled about Dresden's death - I actually discovered Butcher while reading Dangerous Women in the hospital a few years ago - a collection of stories from different authors edited by GRRM, and there was a short story from Molly's POV where she faces the Fomor in the aftermath of Dresden's death, and I think before the actual story began there was an explanation, like "Jim Butcher surprised us all by killing off Harry Dresden in the end of Changes. Here's how his pupil manages to live on without him". So I remembered that, and I liked the short story, so I decided to give The Dresden Files a chance.

Then after some time I finally got to Changes and knew that Harry will die there, and the last hundred pages or so (when the standoff against the Red Court in Chichen Itza began) I literally thought "alright, here's where he dies, something's about to go totally wrong" every couple of pages, and when the actual vampire situation got resolved and they got back to the city safe and alive I thought, hey, maybe I remembered something wrong, apparently everything's alright with the guy. Then I got to the last few pages. :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1887 on: April 12, 2018, 09:57:13 AM »
It gets really good after the first volume. As the title suggests, it was really just a prelude (even though Gaiman would go back a bit farther with Overture)
Hell yeah :2metal:

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1888 on: April 12, 2018, 12:31:43 PM »
Changes by Butcher

:corn

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT READ THE SMALL TEXT BELOW if you haven't finished the novel, major spoilers:

I was spoiled about Dresden's death - I actually discovered Butcher while reading Dangerous Women in the hospital a few years ago - a collection of stories from different authors edited by GRRM, and there was a short story from Molly's POV where she faces the Fomor in the aftermath of Dresden's death, and I think before the actual story began there was an explanation, like "Jim Butcher surprised us all by killing off Harry Dresden in the end of Changes. Here's how his pupil manages to live on without him". So I remembered that, and I liked the short story, so I decided to give The Dresden Files a chance.

Then after some time I finally got to Changes and knew that Harry will die there, and the last hundred pages or so (when the standoff against the Red Court in Chichen Itza began) I literally thought "alright, here's where he dies, something's about to go totally wrong" every couple of pages, and when the actual vampire situation got resolved and they got back to the city safe and alive I thought, hey, maybe I remembered something wrong, apparently everything's alright with the guy. Then I got to the last few pages. :lol

:lol

I can totally see that. I've never read that short story about Molly. I'll need to hunt it down.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1889 on: April 14, 2018, 07:53:45 AM »
Finished The Waste Lands by Stephen King. I liked The Drawing of the Three more, but this one was still a hell of a book, some fantastic stuff there. Sometimes I thought it was kinda slow, but the climaxes of the story Jake's drawing, Jake's rescue from the Grays and Eddie's and Susannah's showdown in the Cradle of Lud with Blaine were outstandingly well written and captivating.

Three books in, this is without any doubt, by far and away the best thing I've read from Stephen King. I'm enjoying this series a lot, and nothing I've read before from him (The Stand, The Shining, The Dead Zone to name a few) even comes close to this. I've only delved into this series because a lot of people on DTF told me to do this, and I'm so grateful to you guys. It's you who made me to decide to give this a chance. This is extremely good.

Question which may contain spoilers (also don't answer if the answer spoils the future novels in a big way, but I'm just curious):

The Ageless Stranger guy at the end of the third novel said his name is Richard Fanning (Fannin? I don't quite remember), are the RF initials a coincidence or does it have something to do with the main antagonist from The Stand? That guy also liked to go under R.F. initials.

Anyway, come Monday I'll be reading Wizard and Glass and I don't have enough words about how excited I am about this one.