Author Topic: Post Yur Piture Thead v. Surfin' Bird  (Read 449730 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Post Your Picture Thead v. Surfin' Bird
« Reply #2205 on: June 18, 2016, 08:02:30 PM »
Yup.  In Vermont at Hill Farmstead.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #2206 on: June 19, 2016, 01:08:48 AM »
 :metal

Wish I could've been there as planned, but life gets in the way!
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2207 on: June 19, 2016, 04:01:32 AM »
There will be a next time Jackie!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2208 on: June 20, 2016, 11:40:40 AM »
Went camping over the weekend.  Hanging out in the fresh air always makes me sleepy, and my wife couldn't resist taking a picture of me napping, so now you all have to deal with it.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2209 on: June 23, 2016, 08:01:23 AM »
Nice one, Orbert!

I took a stylish selfie.

Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #2210 on: June 23, 2016, 08:26:15 AM »
The World's Most Interesting Man, in his 20's.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2211 on: June 23, 2016, 09:52:33 AM »
Seriously.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2212 on: June 23, 2016, 10:28:28 AM »
I didn't know the Spin Doctors were in town.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #2213 on: June 23, 2016, 10:48:56 AM »
I didn't know the Spin Doctors were in town.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2214 on: June 23, 2016, 07:26:13 PM »
So today was my last day of classroom training and I have to say I am going to miss this group. I spent the past 9 weeks with them... On week one, we were all like statues.  No one talked to each other.  Everyone was scared shitless. Fast forward to today: We are laughing, yelling, flirting etc. It's like we've known each other for years. Even our trainer (the lovely lady in white in the front) was to the point where she could bullshit with us and vice versa.

I'll be working with a couple of these guys and gals directly, and will be seeing a few more occasionally (they work in my building) but I will truly miss the ones who are going to other units and other cities.

It was real. It was fun. It was really fun. 

Today I got my cubicle and tomorrow I will start my crash course on operations and procedures.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2215 on: June 23, 2016, 07:41:27 PM »
Nice pic!  Welcome to cubicle land, and good luck!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2216 on: June 23, 2016, 10:27:59 PM »
love this scene from Tron

Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2217 on: June 23, 2016, 10:58:38 PM »
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2218 on: June 27, 2016, 02:14:05 PM »
My aunt through a huge party for my Uncles 60th bday yesterday.  Had a band, an acapella group, my uncle did stand up comedy and also acted out scenes from the Godfather  :lol but my Aunt also changed the lyrics to a song and had all of his nieces and nephews come up on stage and wear a t-shirt and sing the song for him, which I thought was so cheesey when I heard we had to do it, but actually worked really well and was pretty funny.  Regardless, heres the pic of my cousins and me, minus in-laws and my brother.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2219 on: June 29, 2016, 11:04:06 AM »
Sportin' father's day gift from Mrs. P.

"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2220 on: June 29, 2016, 04:22:25 PM »
Just got home from a few days in West Virginia with ZeppelinDT and his girlfriend. Been a long time since I posted anything in here, so I figure it's time. Here is one of us after doing a little caving down there. What a crazy and neat experience.

And my furry little Xanadu was quite happy to see me once I got home.

For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #2221 on: June 29, 2016, 05:19:39 PM »
So today was my last day of classroom training and I have to say I am going to miss this group. I spent the past 9 weeks with them... On week one, we were all like statues.  No one talked to each other.  Everyone was scared shitless. Fast forward to today: We are laughing, yelling, flirting etc. It's like we've known each other for years. Even our trainer (the lovely lady in white in the front) was to the point where she could bullshit with us and vice versa.

I'll be working with a couple of these guys and gals directly, and will be seeing a few more occasionally (they work in my building) but I will truly miss the ones who are going to other units and other cities.

It was real. It was fun. It was really fun. 

Today I got my cubicle and tomorrow I will start my crash course on operations and procedures.

Tell skirt girl on the left that you know a white guy on the internet that wants her.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2222 on: June 29, 2016, 05:27:10 PM »
I shotty the girl in the grey pants and black shirt!  :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2223 on: June 29, 2016, 05:31:31 PM »
Ah the internet, where fantasy becomes real! :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2224 on: June 29, 2016, 07:29:16 PM »
I shotty the girl in the grey pants and black shirt!  :lol

And I shall take the girl crouching, standing next to the purple shirt girl.

And tell Scott Ian standing in front of you, he needs to grow his goatee back.

And the guy standing on the left, I thought Jared Fogle was in prison.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #2225 on: June 29, 2016, 08:45:39 PM »
Ask Lem from Veridian Dynamics if he needs a lab partner.

And I'll take the girl elbowing Douche LaRouche who is kneeling in front.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2226 on: June 29, 2016, 11:21:24 PM »
omg you guys :rollin
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2227 on: June 30, 2016, 06:19:25 AM »
And I'll take the girl elbowing Douche LaRouche who is kneeling in front.

She kinda looks like she's trying to crap without getting any on the back of her legs.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #2228 on: June 30, 2016, 06:45:05 AM »
So yesterday, we get over to Hershey early to tailgate for the Tesla/REO Speedwagon/Def Leppard show.  We’re RIGHT outside the main gate and get to hear all the soundchecks.  DL did Hysteria for soundcheck.

So it's me, Mrs. C., Jr., and Jr's dad.  They are all sitting at the little folding table we brought along playing dice, when this guy walks up at random and asks for a tissue, his allergies are acting up.  Mrs. C. gets up to get him one, I turn to see what’s happening and even with sunglasses, I recognize this person.  99.9% certain who it is, so I introduce myself, to see if he will do the same.  “Hi, I'm Kevin”, he says.

Kevin Cronin, singer for REO Speedwagon.

He stands away a little, to blow his nose and I’m quietly telling the 3 other oblivious people there “DO YOU KNOW WHO THAT IS???”  They had no idea, so once I told them, Mrs. C. asked if we could get a pic.  He said sure, she grabbed someone from another car to come take our pic, and he was getting a little antsy, didn’t want to start a big thing.  Got a couple of pictures, thanked him and he hurried off on his way.  Very cool.  He’d been out in the parking lot, listening to the soundcheck from out there, to see how it sounded.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2229 on: June 30, 2016, 06:51:46 AM »
 :metal :metal :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2230 on: June 30, 2016, 07:37:14 AM »
Coz, so that old dude is Jr's Dad? Or Jr's Granddad? You hang with your wife's ex?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2231 on: June 30, 2016, 07:53:59 AM »
That's awesome!  Early REO rocked the house.  You Get What You Play For was required listening in my circle.  I gotta admit, REO lost me when they started scoring hits with silly sappy shit, but I like to believe that they can still rock.  I want to believe.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #2232 on: June 30, 2016, 08:05:23 AM »
Coz, so that old dude is Jr's Dad? Or Jr's Granddad? You hang with your wife's ex?

The guy on the left is Jr's dad.  Dude, that's only the tip of the iceberg of what a strange situation we have.  :lol

Our house has a 4-car garage out back that was converted into a fully functioning and livable 1 bedroom apartment.  Jr. and his dad live there while Mrs. C and I live in the house.  Not the most ideal way to do things, but it gives the specific benefit of Jr. not having to spend his life going back and forth between two different homes.  And despite my own petty and selfish wishes that Mrs. C. and I have a home all our own, where I can have her all to myself, I know that Jr. has to come first.  I'm not gonna lie, I'm selfish and it isn't news to her or anyone else, but I make the sacrifices that need made for Jr.'s sake.  So yeah, we see each other every day and we get along great.  We all drink and hang out at the pool and such, pretty routinely.

Want to go further down the trail to WTF-ville?  My first wife was the reason I moved to PA.  I moved here and met her family.  Her family just happened to include her brother and sister.  Her brother is Junior's dad.  Mrs. C. was her sister-in-law.

Time goes on, my wife and I split, around the same time that Mrs. C. and her ex start drifting apart.  She and I have a lot in common, we get together, and the family eventually comes to understand and be okay with it.  Except for my ex, of course, who never really liked Mrs. C. anyway.

Here's how mean and spiteful and hateful my ex is:  After she and I split, her brother and sister chose me over her.

So yeah, it's a ridiculously convoluted story and it's hard to follow, but it somehow manages to work.  :metal

That's awesome!  Early REO rocked the house.  You Get What You Play For was required listening in my circle.  I gotta admit, REO lost me when they started scoring hits with silly sappy shit, but I like to believe that they can still rock.  I want to believe.

They put on a great show.  I still think Keep On Lovin' You is a fantastic song.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2233 on: June 30, 2016, 08:08:49 AM »
Wow Coz. Do you have a psychiatrist living in the basement, or a lawyer living in the loft? ;D

Where are you originally from?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #2234 on: June 30, 2016, 08:13:48 AM »
I am the first to admit that it is a considerably strange arrangement, but it works.  Another added benefit is that with Jr's. dad being out of work due to disability (back injury), he's at home all day, and can take the dog out while we're gone at work, or when we go out of town for a few days.

Originally, Hawaii.  My dad was in the USAF for 26 years and moved all over the place.  I was born in Honolulu, HI (aka Kenya) and he was transferred to Minot, ND before I was old enough to be able to form any memories of Hawaii.  My first memories are of fucktons of snow as far as the eye could see.  He was then transferred to Langley AFB in Hampton, VA.  He retired and we moved to Roanoke, VA in '84 and they've lived there ever since.  In the same house my mother grew up in.  I moved to PA in '99.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2235 on: June 30, 2016, 08:15:46 AM »
That's interesting. :tup

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2236 on: June 30, 2016, 08:29:33 AM »
I am the first to admit that it is a considerably strange arrangement, but it works.  Another added benefit is that with Jr's. dad being out of work due to disability (back injury), he's at home all day, and can take the dog out while we're gone at work, or when we go out of town for a few days.

Yup, that ain't normal.  But you know what?  Who cares?  If it works for you guys, more power to you.  Sometimes, "normal" and "what's best for everyone under the circumstances" are a far cry from one another. 

Anyhow, cool story about the show.  Sadly, simple things like showing up to the show really early before soundcheck or hanging out behind the venue after the show didn't even occur to me as a kid and weren't on my radar, so I have no idea how common these kinds of occurrences might have been back in the '80s.  But nowadays, it just seems like there are so many more opportunities to ever-so-briefly break the wall between fan and musician, and it's pretty cool when it happens.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #2237 on: June 30, 2016, 08:45:41 AM »
Yup, that ain't normal.  But you know what?  Who cares?  If it works for you guys, more power to you.  Sometimes, "normal" and "what's best for everyone under the circumstances" are a far cry from one another.

Exactly.  And people are pretty understanding about it, amazingly.  I get REALLY weird looks whenever we start explaining the entire story, but by the end, it makes sense to people, because it's what works for us and is what's best for everyone.  Like you said, what's best isn't always the same as what's normal.  Sometimes there's a lot of benefit to "going off the script", so to speak.  Living life outside the box allows one to be a little more open to understanding other peoples' "not normal" circumstances, I think.

And yeah, now that we've seen the possible benefits from early arrivals and such, maybe we should employ this tactic more often.  I suspect that this was a fluke and probably a once in a lifetime occurrence, though.  And that's okay.  It was still pretty cool.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2238 on: June 30, 2016, 09:19:04 AM »
Fluke?  Yes.  Once in a lifetime occurrence?  Probably not.  But you never know specifically what those opportunities will look like or what form they will take.  I don't know if you remember my story about seeing Transatlantic a few years back on the Whirlwind tour, but that is a prime example of the kind of goofy situation that can happen.  To paraphrase:  We got to the Downy Theater early, and eventually heard the band soundchecking inside.  As we were killing time walking around the outside of the theater, we passed by the "Stage Door," and just for giggles, I jiggled the door handle.  To my surprise, it was not locked.  We decided right then and there that it was a moral imperative that we enter.  I mean, this was like an on-the-spot cosmic dare.  So we went in and basically stood there backstage watching Transatlantic sound check.  ...at least, until their tour manager eventually noticed us and told us we had to leave.  But we still milked another few minutes out of the experience by trying to distract him and engage him in conversation about stuff.  And by getting there early, we also stumbled upon someone else who was there that had connections and got us VIP passes for the after show.  So you never know.

And I have had or heard of other experiences as well.  I got to a Lacuna Coil show early in the afternoon, and most of the band were hanging out by the buses in the back parking lot, and were fine talking to the few fans that were there, taking pics, etc.  I have gotten to Y&T shows early, and spotted band members outside (or at nearby restaurants), and have heard lots of similar stories.  I have also heard similar stories about DT shows (although I have not experienced that myself).  You never know...
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #2239 on: June 30, 2016, 09:29:04 AM »
It's a good point.  We should definitely try to get to venues mega-early from now on.  Random stuff DOES happen, like the time that MP and Max sat behind us at the Motley Crue show.