Author Topic: The Movie Thread v. Return of the Jedi  (Read 137875 times)

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
Re: The Movie Thread v. Return of the Jedi
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2014, 11:04:50 PM »
So I just watched Oldboy, the original not the remake. Wow, that was... revolting. I loved it. A lot.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2014, 11:15:00 PM »
 :tup :tup It's a definite classic.

I wouldn't bother with the new one, I found it a bit mediocre. That's saying a lot too considering I'm halfway homo for Brolin and I am a huge fan of Lee's work. It just wasn't as impactful and it didn't really do anything new; what it did add was mostly meandering and took away from the film than added to it. I think it gets a lot more shit from foaming-at-the-mouth fans than it deserves but there's no doubt that the consensus is that the original reigns. If you're out of movies to watch on a boring day off, check it out; otherwise...you'd be better off with something new. (Although, I must add, I absolutely LOVED Copley in the villain role. Much moreso than his foreign counterpart; he was riveting, sickening and I loved to hate him right until the end. He's the reason why I enjoyed it.)

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2014, 11:22:51 PM »
On a bit of a Hitchcock binge at the moment. Finally watched North by Northwest and Vertigo for the first time and I've seen Psycho two or three times before. I think Vertigo is probably my favorite of the three films that I've seen.

Of those 3 films, I still need to watch Vertigo but between the other 2, I prefer Psycho.

Of those 3 films, Vertigo is the only one I've seen. Of the other two, I've only seen various parodies of their iconic scenes. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2014, 11:55:03 PM »
Guys, I just came back from seeing Sin City: A Dame To Kill For. It was awful. I was sorely disappointed. It got to the point where I got mad. The great thing about the first movie is that all three stories were intertwined to feel like you were a part of this dark noir universe. There was a sort of a brutal impact. In A Dame To Kill For, you have three stories, and two of them there is no point! Especially the story that influenced the title. The one story I did care for was Jessica Alba's, and I would have been happy just watching 2 hrs of that.

It's big a stinker by Robert Rodriquez and Frank Miller. Considering how classic the first Sin City movie is, this is not worth mentioning in the same breath.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2014, 09:49:41 AM »
I am also up for watching 2 hours of Jessica Alba.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2014, 08:08:42 PM »
I am also up for watching 2 hours of Jessica Alba.

I bet you are.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2014, 03:02:39 AM »
Now I watched I Saw the Devil. Wow, it was as awesome as Oldboy! Are Koreans just the masters of revenge flicks or what?

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2014, 06:55:08 AM »
They really are. There's a few different classics that have come out of Korean cinema. I love it!

RIP DTP.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2014, 07:43:30 AM »
Good to see Bill Murray back with some of his typical deadpan , dry humour. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5BVn-eyAxA
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2014, 07:52:14 AM »
Now I watched I Saw the Devil. Wow, it was as awesome as Oldboy! Are Koreans just the masters of revenge flicks or what?

I also watched I Saw the Devil about a week ago and it was brilliant. I know Oldboy is part of a vengeance trilogy with two other movies, that are also supposedly really good. It's called The Vengeance Trilogy and the other two movies (apart from Oldboy) that are part of it are Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance and Sympathy For Lady Vengeance. I haven't seen either, but I'm planning to.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2014, 01:18:45 PM »

I also watched I Saw the Devil about a week ago and it was brilliant. I know Oldboy is part of a vengeance trilogy with two other movies, that are also supposedly really good. It's called The Vengeance Trilogy and the other two movies (apart from Oldboy) that are part of it are Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance and Sympathy For Lady Vengeance. I haven't seen either, but I'm planning to.
Yeah I read up on those and plan on viewing them as well along with The Man From Nowhere and The Chaser.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2014, 05:35:53 PM »
Anyone seeing Ghostbusters this weekend?

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2014, 06:58:27 PM »

There's A Bittersweet Life from the same year of Lady Vengeance, great revenge flick as well.
Still, the best korean movie i've ever watched was either Oldboy or Memories of Murder.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2014, 09:48:10 PM »

Yeah I read up on those and plan on viewing them as well along with The Man From Nowhere and The Chaser.

There's A Bittersweet Life from the same year of Lady Vengeance, great revenge flick as well.
Still, the best korean movie i've ever watched was either Oldboy or Memories of Murder.

I've seen The Man From Nowhere, A Bittersweet Life, and Memories of Murder and they are all really good movies. I think I would give the edge to Memories of Murder out those 3 but I feel like its interchangeable for me with these 3 movies so just watch them all.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline jammindude

« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2014, 10:41:20 PM »

I just have to say that this...looks...BRILLIANT...
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2014, 03:34:34 AM »
Seeing Ghostbusters in theaters was awesome.

Something I never noticed before: Ray and Venkman slap each other throughout the movie.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2014, 04:25:16 AM »

Looks like a prefect movie for him, can't wait!  :metal
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2014, 05:46:28 AM »
Seeing Ghostbusters in theaters was awesome.

Something I never noticed before: Ray and Venkman slap each other throughout the movie.
I didn't get to see it this weekend (no time, other plans).

But I saw it in theaters on its 25th anniversary re-release.

Oh, I also saw it in theaters on original release in 1984.  At a pre-release preview viewing.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2014, 10:41:32 AM »
SO OLD WISE!

RIP DTP.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2014, 10:58:08 AM »
I saw the 25th anniversary digitally remastered Back To The Future in the cinema in 2010.

It was like seeing it for the first time and cemented my opinion of it being the greatest movie ever.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2014, 03:05:42 PM »
I saw the 25th anniversary digitally remastered Back To The Future in the cinema in 2010.

It was like seeing it for the first time and cemented my opinion of it being the greatest movie ever.

That's bullshit.

You don't like anything.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2014, 03:07:07 PM »
I don't like you.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2014, 03:13:26 PM »
 :heart :heart :heart :heart

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2014, 03:14:14 PM »
I love both of you and I hate both of you. I'd kill both of you for myself. I'd kill myself for both of you.

*sniffs your armpits and tickles your balls*

Yeah that's right. I break up fights by harassing and assaulting you with awkwardness and love. DO SOMETHIN' BOYS. GIVE ME A REASON TO LOVE YOU! DO IT!

P.S. Sony and co. have solidified me not giving a microscopic turd about anything cinema-related Spider-Man. Now I simply await the day when they rape the characters and story enough that even their greed fails to the embarrassment and they give it up. NOT. Cause humanity's greed NEVER fails! RIP Movie-Spider-Man. What a travesty that franchise is, and they did it in two movies.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 03:35:08 PM by TioJorge »

RIP DTP.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2014, 03:48:32 PM »
I love both of you and I hate both of you. I'd kill both of you for myself. I'd kill myself for both of you.

*sniffs your armpits and tickles your balls*

Yeah that's right. I break up fights by harassing and assaulting you with awkwardness and love. DO SOMETHIN' BOYS. GIVE ME A REASON TO LOVE YOU! DO IT!

P.S. Sony and co. have solidified me not giving a microscopic turd about anything cinema-related Spider-Man. Now I simply await the day when they rape the characters and story enough that even their greed fails to the embarrassment and they give it up. NOT. Cause humanity's greed NEVER fails! RIP Movie-Spider-Man. What a travesty that franchise is, and they did it in two movies.

Jokes on you. I wasn't wearing deodorant.

3 if you count Spider-man 3.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2014, 04:02:31 PM »
Well, 3 was almost objectively horrible...but it did effectively kill that part of the franchise. I thought 1 and 2 were almost perfect examples of how comic book movies should be done. With this new reboot, I hated everything about it from the start. I know I'm in the minority on that one for the first movie, but the consensus seems to be that this 2nd movie is pretty bad, but I think it's even worse than that. I think it's quite literally the perfect example of how not to do a comic book movie.

Apart from that, I just hate this new style they've created. There are parts where I love Garfield's Spider-Man but the moments were few and far between. Not to mention that I don't buy Garfield as Parker... That man, he has the blood of a jock. I loved the initial series so much because I thought Maguire was the perfect Parker; completely nerdy, embarrassing but a true brilliant mind in his ways; and subsequently bought his transition to superhero status and eventually loved him (not till 2 though) as Spider-Man. I felt none of that in the reboot. It's just funny to see the exact same mistakes being made by the people that originally showed the world "this is how you do a comic book movie wrong" with SM3 and now with ASM2 they've just beat the horse to a pulp.

I digress. Clearly not a fan of much of anything Sony (or the filmmakers) have done with that side of things. X-Men has been alright (still haven't seen DOFP) but even then, it's potential hasn't been fully tapped into, I don't think. Hopefully that changes with DOFP but I have my reservations. Anyway, it just sucks to know what could be. Even if I don't love Marvel as much as the masses, they've done a fantastic job in portraying the comic book universe gracefully while keeping things fresh. I just don't even wanna imagine the awesomeness of a true Marvel-made Spidey film.

RIP DTP.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2014, 08:47:46 PM »
Just finally saw My Left Foot  :tup :tup

Daniel Day-Lewis fucking rules.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2014, 09:06:38 PM »
I finally watched 12 Monkeys and Let the Right One In for the first time today! :metal :hefdaddy Loved both films to death, especially the latter one. One of the absolute best vampire/horror films I have ever watched, if I may say so myself.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2014, 09:18:46 PM »
I love 12 Monkeys. One of my favorites. Wasn't too keen on Left the Right One In. It's just not my type of film.

Just saw Goodfellas for the first time last week. It was pretty fantastic.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2014, 09:28:51 PM »
I love 12 Monkeys. One of my favorites. Wasn't too keen on Left the Right One In. It's just not my type of film.

I was very eager to see 12 Monkeys, since Terry Gilliam always seemed like my kind of director, despite my never-clicking-with Brazil.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2014, 10:47:29 PM »

I was very eager to see 12 Monkeys, since Terry Gilliam always seemed like my kind of director, despite my never-clicking-with Brazil.
I just watched it totally out of the blue one day and thought it was one of the weirdest movies I'd ever seen. Took me til the 2nd view to realize how good it was.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2014, 11:07:56 PM »

I just watched it totally out of the blue one day and thought it was one of the weirdest movies I'd ever seen. Took me til the 2nd view to realize how good it was.

The thing with Brazil is that I can totally understand why people might love it. In fact, on paper, it's a film that I thought for sure I would love. A satire on 1984? Dark, bleak and bizarre visuals? Jonathan Pryce in the leading role? Hell yeah, I'd love that!

A large chunk of my problem with the film lies in the majority of the third act, in which the film either a) completely throws all previous rules of reality out the window to only reach a very mediocre conclusion or b) could have ended at least thirty minutes earlier and it would've had a much more impactful ending. The rest of the film is quite good, but it's such a slow-burner that I felt it needed the right conclusion in order to work. Neither of the two endings really do that for me.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2014, 09:11:29 AM »
I recently saw Some Like It Hot, finally.  Pretty hilarious, and I definitely see why many consider it one of the funniest films ever made.  And getting to see Marilyn Monroe on the big screen is never a bad thing. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2014, 12:27:56 PM »
I saw Some Like it Hot a long time ago, and I remember it being very funny.  But that's all I remember.  Oh yeah, and Marilyn Monroe was super hot, as always.

Ender's Game

I knew that this was based on a great sci-fi series of books that I've never read, and I know that adapting epic science fiction onto the big screen usually sucks, so I was able to enjoy the film for what it was and enjoy the story it told without getting all hung up on how it was told.

In the movie, we get one scene of Ender in school, but obviously he's been in school all his life and dealing with bullies, or at least this one bully, for a while.  So when he "ended" it (ha, I just figured out his name), even though it seemed very sudden and over-the-top in the movie, I accepted that this was a pivotal scene.

In the movie, he's in Battle School for like a week, but again it only seems like that and clearly we're seeing a very condensed version of that part of the story.  It became apparent around this point that there's a lot of story to tell, so we have to move quickly.

Then he's in Command School for like two days, and Harrison Ford has been saying the whole time how amazing and special this guy is, but once again, we'll just have to take his word for it because we've seen three examples of it and he's like 15 now.

But the way he "ends" things, the use of unconventional tactics, the weird "non-formation formation" with Dragon Army, even the mind game and his sister, all foreshadow things that later pay off.  In fact, the whole movie is little more than setup and setup and payoff and payoff.  You could argue that most movies are, but you'd probably be wrong.  Most movies take some time to develop the characters and plot at least a little bit.  Here, they tried to condense a pretty large story into a feature film and it just didn't work.  And it was basically because there was too much to do.  They should have just gone ahead and made it a 2.5 or 3-hour epic sci-fi story.  Given it some breathing room, flesh out the characters and the story better.

I enjoyed the movie anyway.  I liked the story it told, despite telling it so poorly.  I could tell that the adaptation didn't do the book(s) justice, and I've never read the books, but comments on IMDb almost universally agree.  Most people who've never read the books were at least okay with the movie and some really enjoyed it.  Most people who'd read the book didn't like the movie.  There are exceptions on both sides, of course.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2014, 01:22:47 AM »
Watched Godzilla for the second time. Fockin' perfect Godzilla flick, and better than what I'd originally imagined. I loved the back and forth between the humans and monsters and that ending sequence made up for just showing the monsters in bits and pieces throughout. I hope the next movie will focus a little bit more though on the aspect of the monsters. KING GHIDORAH FTW. God I hope they include him even if its not the next one. They'd fuck the Earth up SO BADLY!!

RIP DTP.