Author Topic: The Movie Thread v. Return of the Jedi  (Read 139442 times)

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
Re: The Movie Thread v. Return of the Jedi
« Reply #280 on: September 24, 2014, 11:58:18 PM »
There's something very relaxing about most of that movie... after the crash scene that is.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #281 on: September 25, 2014, 04:10:13 AM »
I'll never not be totally transfixed whenever I watch Cast Away.  Gripping film, amazing performance by the legendary Tom Hanks, and I just love the ending to death.  So good. :coolio

There is not a chance in hell I wouldn't have opened that last package.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #282 on: September 25, 2014, 06:29:16 AM »
I thought Cast Away was a great film, but it's one of those that has NO replay value for me.  I just can't imagine watching it again.

But Hanks was fantastic in it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #283 on: September 25, 2014, 09:14:02 AM »
^Pretty much exactly that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #284 on: September 25, 2014, 09:52:55 AM »
I agree that it's replay value is not high; I only revisit it once every few years, but every time I do, I think it's great.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #285 on: September 25, 2014, 09:57:07 AM »
I find it funny that the script for Cast Away actually had lines written out for Wilson.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #286 on: September 25, 2014, 10:08:51 AM »
Really? :lol  My guess would be so whatever lines Hanks' character said back to him sounded more natural.  It's like when you see a scene in a movie or TV show where someone is talking to another on the phone, but you only see one end of the conversation; they probably make up lines the other person is saying, even if we never see or hear them being spoken.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #287 on: September 25, 2014, 10:10:47 AM »
Exactly.  So Hanks would have something to react to.  I think all the one-sided conversations are great; Hanks does a great job of responding to things Wilson says, if only his head, and we can almost always tell what it was that Hanks imagined Wilson said.  That may or may not have been as clear if Hanks didn't have the lines to respond to.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #288 on: September 27, 2014, 04:43:18 AM »
2001 is a classic, but 2010 is pretty damn cool too.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #289 on: September 27, 2014, 05:39:39 AM »

Yeah I didn't mind it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #290 on: September 27, 2014, 05:43:51 AM »
TBH, I actually prefer 2010.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #291 on: September 27, 2014, 06:55:47 AM »
I really like Cast Away as well, but I'm a sucker for the "stuck alone on an island" stories, so the same goes for the story of Robinson Crusoe for example.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #292 on: September 27, 2014, 09:16:52 AM »
Almost a year after it came out, I've finally seen Saving Mr. Banks. It's really terrible - it's like Disney taunting P.L. Traverse from beyond the grave.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #293 on: September 27, 2014, 10:01:11 AM »
Almost a year after it came out, I've finally seen Saving Mr. Banks. It's really terrible - it's like Disney taunting P.L. Traverse from beyond the grave.
I liked it, if only because Emma Thompson is really, really good in it. And Colin Ferrell too. But yeah, the rest is basically a Disney whitewash and not really true and factual, though the little I've read makes it seem as if PL Travers was even MORE unpleasant in real-life.  :lol

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #294 on: September 27, 2014, 03:54:11 PM »
Edge Of Tomorrow was alot better than expected.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #295 on: September 27, 2014, 07:36:11 PM »
Finally saw American Hustle

Whoa.

I might write more after I've had a chance to digest it.  Great movie, though.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #296 on: September 28, 2014, 01:08:41 AM »
Yeah, I enjoyed that one.

Saw The Zero Theorem last night, with mixed feelings. Weird and funny, which Gilliam always does well... but I felt like there was something missing. Visually very cool, of course, with some future dystopian elements that seem uncomfortably realistic.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #297 on: September 28, 2014, 03:56:57 AM »
I would have been far more interested in seeing a biography about Walt starring Tom Hanks.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #298 on: September 28, 2014, 04:48:35 AM »
What do you mean?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #299 on: September 28, 2014, 04:57:50 AM »
Edge Of Tomorrow was alot better than expected.

Definitely !

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #300 on: September 28, 2014, 07:28:37 AM »
^ Saw it today, and it was good. Though 8.0 at IMDb is pushing it..

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #301 on: September 28, 2014, 09:42:12 AM »
^ Saw it today, and it was good. Though 8.0 at IMDb is pushing it..

That's because IMDB users overrate any new movie (include giving ratings of 10 or 1 before even watching it, something that happens with all new superhero movies per example).

The TV series ranking is pretty good though, i give them that.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 09:50:03 AM by Outcrier »
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #302 on: September 30, 2014, 04:35:28 AM »
What do you mean?

Oh sorry. Yeah, so basically they transform her into this person who's anti anything positive to the point of inhumanity (as Crimson said, apparently she was rather unpleasant, but this was basically completely over the top), and they completely changed the facts of how Disney acquired the rights and whatnot while making Disney himself seem by contrast like a fatherly and affable figure (when in reality he was a huge jerk to her).

There's a good article that summarizes the most appalling changes if you can get past the more politically charged commentary of it: https://www.laweekly.com/2013-12-12/film-tv/saving-mr-banks-mary-poppins/

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #303 on: September 30, 2014, 04:36:27 AM »
I dislike Emma Thompson. I think she over acts in everything.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #304 on: September 30, 2014, 06:10:02 AM »
So I watched The Purge the other night with the lady. What a piece of shit movie that was. I don't even know where to start. The daughter and her boyfriend were the most cringe-worthy elements I may have ever seen in a movie. The ending was absolute shit too. The only decent thing that happened in that hour and a half was the scene when the father was wondering around with the shotgun. I was expecting that movie to be an hour and a half of people in a city going ape shit on one another, not an hour and a half of some family's house.

2/10

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #305 on: September 30, 2014, 07:45:47 AM »
So I watched The Purge the other night with the lady. What a piece of shit movie that was. I don't even know where to start. The daughter and her boyfriend were the most cringe-worthy elements I may have ever seen in a movie. The ending was absolute shit too. The only decent thing that happened in that hour and a half was the scene when the father was wondering around with the shotgun. I was expecting that movie to be an hour and a half of people in a city going ape shit on one another, not an hour and a half of some family's house.

2/10

That is what bugged me about the movie. They had in my opinion an awesomely ridiculous concept to work with and they made a home invasion movie with it. The purge: Anarchy looks like what I wanted the first one to be.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #306 on: September 30, 2014, 08:45:09 AM »
The Purge is an interesting concept with atrocious execution. Terrible plot holes and stupid decisions by every character, time and time again.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #307 on: September 30, 2014, 08:48:29 AM »
The Purge is an interesting concept with atrocious execution. Terrible plot holes and stupid decisions by every character, time and time again.

^ pretty much every one of those films.

Hey there's a guy in my house - best run upstairs where I can definitely escape  :biggrin:

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #308 on: September 30, 2014, 08:48:58 AM »
I rewatched Rush Hour and Rush Hour 2, and both are still entertaining and enjoyable IMO. Not on the same level as the very best of action (like Die Hard, Predator, Matrix or T2 for example), but Chan/Tucker is a great duo. I've always been a big fan of Chan, and while Tucker is a bit obnoxious, he really is so full of himself that his character becomes funny as a result. The stuff he says aren't always funny, but just how over-the-top he is, always viewing himself as the ultimate cop, when in reality he is a pretty mediocre one who screws stuff up.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #309 on: September 30, 2014, 09:01:28 AM »
What do you mean?

Oh sorry. Yeah, so basically they transform her into this person who's anti anything positive to the point of inhumanity (as Crimson said, apparently she was rather unpleasant, but this was basically completely over the top), and they completely changed the facts of how Disney acquired the rights and whatnot while making Disney himself seem by contrast like a fatherly and affable figure (when in reality he was a huge jerk to her).

There's a good article that summarizes the most appalling changes if you can get past the more politically charged commentary of it: https://www.laweekly.com/2013-12-12/film-tv/saving-mr-banks-mary-poppins/

As "over the top" as it was, it's my understanding that the reality was even worse.

What I hated about it was this overdone "rainbow in the sky" idea that you can "nice" mean people into being nice themselves.   (like in The Grinch story)   But the reality (as it was with the real P.L.) is that some people are just mean people, and you're never going to change or redeem them because mean is just who they are.   Even her own adopted child ended up disowning her, and a biographer (possibly the kid?? I don't remember) wrote that she died "loving no one, and with no one loving her either."    She was just never a nice person to anyone.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #310 on: September 30, 2014, 03:02:52 PM »
So I very recently saw both A Most Wanted Man - brilliant - and Sin City 2 - not as good as the first one, but not nearly as atrocious as some reviews claimed, so all in all, last week was a good cinema week.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #311 on: September 30, 2014, 05:53:44 PM »
What do you mean?

As "over the top" as it was, it's my understanding that the reality was even worse.

What I hated about it was this overdone "rainbow in the sky" idea that you can "nice" mean people into being nice themselves.   (like in The Grinch story)   But the reality (as it was with the real P.L.) is that some people are just mean people, and you're never going to change or redeem them because mean is just who they are.   Even her own adopted child ended up disowning her, and a biographer (possibly the kid?? I don't remember) wrote that she died "loving no one, and with no one loving her either."    She was just never a nice person to anyone.

That still doesn't change the fact that Disney treated her like shit and used a loophole in their contract to basically take away all creative control and relegate her to "consultant" on the movie. He did things that may have technically constituted a breach, but he had this "final reel" loophole.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #312 on: September 30, 2014, 11:34:40 PM »
^^^^^^^^^

I'm not necessarily saying that Disney was "right" or "justified" in doing what he did...but at the same time, there aren't too many people who wouldn't...upon discovering that someone is being a complete and total ass and simply holding their part in the group endeavour hostage...wouldn't begin to become *very hostile* in return.    She's probably lucky that Disney *only* acted like prick.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #313 on: October 01, 2014, 05:21:43 AM »
Sooo.....

There's a going to be a TETRIS movie...

Surely the only choice of theme song is " Build Me up, Break Me Down " ? :neverusethis:

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #314 on: October 01, 2014, 05:27:51 AM »
Sooo.....
There's a going to be a TETRIS movie...