Author Topic: The Movie Thread v. Return of the Jedi  (Read 139813 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: The Movie Thread v. Return of the Jedi
« Reply #1996 on: March 02, 2015, 05:47:01 PM »
Watched the doors tonight for the first time.

cool movie, but kinda too long and a bit too all over the place imo. But I'm still glad to have seen it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1997 on: March 03, 2015, 07:29:56 AM »
I never liked that movie.

Of course, I don't like the Doors or Jim Morrison, so that may have had something to do with it lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1998 on: March 03, 2015, 08:25:56 AM »
Watched Cloud Atlas last night with mixed feelings, though I mostly enjoyed it.
I'll just copy what I wrote on FB: It didn't feel as long as it was, which was good... but there was just too much fucking going on, and I did a lot of head-scratching. Also, the "endings" were a bit too annoyingly happy. Very unique concept (despite some of the cliches in there) and courageous, so it gets points for that. And the makeup!
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1999 on: March 03, 2015, 08:49:03 AM »
I really liked that one. Very strange and fresh concept. I'm glad I had subtitles for the 'future' stuff though, probably wouldn't have understood it otherwise.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2000 on: March 03, 2015, 09:34:20 AM »
I never considered it to be annoyingly happy myself, but different tastes and all that. Glad you enjoyed it though, it's one of my favorite movies.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2001 on: March 03, 2015, 09:59:53 AM »
I love cloud atlas  :heart

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2002 on: March 03, 2015, 02:01:42 PM »
Pretty bad-ass supercut of John Vick.

Obviously spoilers!!
John Wick SuperCut

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2003 on: March 03, 2015, 02:05:38 PM »
John Wick is awesome  :metal

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2004 on: March 03, 2015, 02:13:18 PM »
Yes it is. Cool to see Keanu back in action.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2005 on: March 03, 2015, 04:17:27 PM »
Watched Cavalry last weekend after hearing good things about it. I dunno... I just didn't get it. Seemed like there was a point to the ending, but I don't know what it is. Just seemed like a really sad movie, which is generally not something I like to take my time to watch.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2006 on: March 03, 2015, 10:15:22 PM »
Guy does Joker interrogation scene from "Dark Knight Returns" as Mark Hamill's Joker. Holy shit. (audio only, but fantastic)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf2tXChJR-I
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #2007 on: March 04, 2015, 05:55:38 AM »
Here's a brand spankin' new interview with Neill Blomkamp on his upcoming Alien film. I'm pretty excited, based on what all he had to say. :tup

https://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/04/how-district-9-director-neill-blomkamp-got-the-alien-gig
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2008 on: March 04, 2015, 07:11:29 AM »
I like how he feels honored to be in the company of two... no, three great directors: Scott, Cameron, and after a moment of hesitation, Fincher, who he admires even though he's not a big fan of Alien3.  Doesn't mention Resurrectiion at all.

:lol

:|

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #2009 on: March 04, 2015, 07:18:36 AM »
I like how he feels honored to be in the company of two... no, three great directors: Scott, Cameron, and after a moment of hesitation, Fincher, who he admires even though he's not a big fan of Alien3.  Doesn't mention Resurrectiion at all.

I can't say I blame him for that though. :lol As I said before, Fincher is probably the best overall director to ever participate in the franchise's history.

That said, the director of Resurrection has apparently made several really terrific French films, though he's more of a comedy filmmaker than sci-fi or horror. Apparently he couldn't even speak/read English when he filmed A:R, which was why Joss Whedon felt they got his script for the film all wrong. :lol

What I really like about that interview with Blomkamp though are his comments about how the attraction of the series is its Freudian terror and that he's considering decorating the film in a lo-fi manner like in the first two films and Alien: Isolation. It's great to know that he's paying attention to those sorts of details. :tup
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #2010 on: March 04, 2015, 07:30:35 AM »
I can't believe he's 35, working in the film industry, and has only just gotten around to seeing Alien. :|

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #2011 on: March 04, 2015, 07:33:08 AM »
I can't believe he's 35, working in the film industry, and has only just gotten around to seeing Alien. :|

He grew up watching both Alien and Aliens. He's said for years that those are his top two films ever. :lol He was saying that it was his first time actually getting to see the film on the big screen. I think he was also trying to communicate that he'd always preferred Aliens just a little bit more, but that seeing Alien on the big screen for the first time recently might have swung his opinion in the other direction.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2012 on: March 04, 2015, 07:58:09 AM »
Good interview.  I look forward to seeing his final product.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2013 on: March 04, 2015, 08:12:11 AM »

That said, the director of Resurrection has apparently made several really terrific French films, though he's more of a comedy filmmaker than sci-fi or horror.
Jean-Pierre Jeunet is a great director, not one I would ever think would do an Alien movie though. The City of Lost Children and Amélie is two must see movies from him, masterpieces imo.

Btw I like that he acknowledged Alien: Isolation and spoke highly about it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2014 on: March 04, 2015, 10:44:17 AM »
I just find it weird that Blomkamp is basically promoting Alien5 when his latest film Chappie is just out.

Did he crap out Chappie just to get Sigourney Weaver on board with his idea ?

I can't see Chappie being a big hit unless people go to see it primarily on the back of District 9 and / or to see what his style is like vis-a-vis the next Alien film.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2015 on: March 04, 2015, 10:46:29 AM »
Jean-Pierre Jeunet is a great director, not one I would ever think would do an Alien movie though. The City of Lost Children and Amélie is two must see movies from him, masterpieces imo.

I didn't realize that he's the guy who did Amélie.  I caught that recently and thought it was really good.  Very clever stuff.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2016 on: March 04, 2015, 10:51:16 AM »
*SPOILER*

Yeah I thought it was a funny twist that the guy she pursues the whole film is just the guy who repairs the photo booth...

Unless i'm remembering it wrong. I think that was the gist.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2017 on: March 04, 2015, 11:14:40 AM »
No, that was it.  Well, that was one of the plots.  There's also the bike dude, the various people at the café and their relationship issues, the owner of the missing treasure box, and the traveling gnome.  There might have been more.  It was really well done how all the plots were interwoven.

The only thing that bothered me about the movie was that the director was obviously in love with Audrey Tautou.  There were many shots of just the camera lingering on her, and her looking insanely cute.  And I say this as someone who thinks Audrey Tautou is insanely cute.  Even I got tired of it.  She would do something clever, and we'd get a lingering shot of her smug, smirking face.  Once or twice, I could've handled.  I'm pretty sure it was more like a dozen times, which is at least ten too many.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #2018 on: March 04, 2015, 11:16:08 AM »
I just find it weird that Blomkamp is basically promoting Alien5 when his latest film Chappie is just out.

Did he crap out Chappie just to get Sigourney Weaver on board with his idea ?

I can't see Chappie being a big hit unless people go to see it primarily on the back of District 9 and / or to see what his style is like vis-a-vis the next Alien film.

I think part of this is that the media is just far more interested in talking to him about Alien than they are Chappie. After all, one film is a new entry in one of the biggest film franchises ever and the other is an original film. I also have heard that the studio has supposedly really undersold Chappie and haven't done much to really advertise it to audiences.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #2019 on: March 04, 2015, 08:03:08 PM »
No, that was it.  Well, that was one of the plots.  There's also the bike dude, the various people at the café and their relationship issues, the owner of the missing treasure box, and the traveling gnome.  There might have been more.  It was really well done how all the plots were interwoven.

The only thing that bothered me about the movie was that the director was obviously in love with Audrey Tautou.  There were many shots of just the camera lingering on her, and her looking insanely cute.  And I say this as someone who thinks Audrey Tautou is insanely cute.  Even I got tired of it.  She would do something clever, and we'd get a lingering shot of her smug, smirking face.  Once or twice, I could've handled.  I'm pretty sure it was more like a dozen times, which is at least ten too many.

:lol, that's funny, I'll have to watch it again and see if I agree. Because I mean, it's really hard to get tired of her adorable face.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2020 on: March 04, 2015, 08:17:40 PM »
Just saw Kingsman. Fantastic!

Same here, I generally don't do this but this might be a first day buy for me when it comes out on blu ray.

Just got home from seeing Kingsman with the Mrs. and Jr.. Holy balls, that was a funny and awesome film! I just can't get over some of the surprises and shocks of this movie  :lol

GO SEE IT, NOW!

I agree............saw it last weekend and it's like Bond meets The Matrix  :lol    And quite possibly the only film ever that me and the missus both loved.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #2021 on: March 04, 2015, 08:51:45 PM »
Just watched Foxcatcher. Meh. Aside from some performances, I felt supremely unmoved by the film. Parts also seemed to drag way too much. Definitely the worst of this year's Oscar nominees I've seen so far.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #2022 on: March 04, 2015, 09:02:56 PM »
Not surprised to hear that, because after hearing some clips of it on the radio and seeing a trailer I was truly wondering why the hell anybody wanted to see it.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2023 on: March 04, 2015, 09:05:35 PM »
Not surprised to hear that, because after hearing some clips of it on the radio and seeing a trailer I was truly wondering why the hell anybody wanted to see it.
I think its biggest appeal was "comedy actor surprisingly gives Oscar-worthy dramatic performance." At least, that's the only thing that caught my interest. It's worked in the past. Also, I still haven't seen it, and I don't really plan to.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #2024 on: March 04, 2015, 09:09:55 PM »
I don't know, I really enjoyed it.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #2025 on: March 05, 2015, 02:59:18 AM »
Hmm... Chappie seems to be getting some pretty mixed-to-negative reviews so far. I'm rather disappointed to hear about that, on two levels. Obviously this makes me more concerned about how well Blomkamp will do with the new Alien film, but I also had been hopeful for Chappie itself too. I'll still see it in the near future though, I think.

But if Chappie does really share the same sort of story/script issues that Elysium had, I'd hope that Blomkamp wises up and decides to give someone else his story treatment and let them handle the screenwriting for the film. It sounds like that's his big Achilles' Heel. I'm not at all concerned about the actual directing of the film though and I think Blomkamp is certainly capable of whipping up an intelligent story concept for the series. I just want that concept to be written well too.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2026 on: March 05, 2015, 07:15:42 AM »
I saw previews to Chappie, and I thought it looked really cool.   (even if it is just an action version of Short Circuit...right down to the token "Indian guy")
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2027 on: March 05, 2015, 07:22:59 AM »
I saw previews to Chappie, and I thought it looked really cool.   (even if it is just an action version of Short Circuit...right down to the token "Indian guy")

Short Circuit might be the only movie I don't like nearly as much as I do its sequel. SC2 is so much better.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2028 on: March 05, 2015, 07:23:50 AM »
Yeah, to me it looks like some kinduv weird cross between Short Circuit and Robocop.  Johnny 5 shooting up bad guys 'n' stuff.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2029 on: March 05, 2015, 07:25:49 AM »
Yeah, to me it looks like some kinduv weird cross between Short Circuit and Robocop.  Johnny 5 shooting up bad guys 'n' stuff.
Same here.  Even if it's well done, not sure I have an appetite to watch such a thing.