Author Topic: The Movie Thread v. Return of the Jedi  (Read 137867 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 10:13:00 AM by Nick »
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: The Movie Thread v. Return of the Jedi
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 09:07:33 AM »
deja vu

Hopefully this could save it:

Something I look forward to!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 09:33:02 AM »
How the new thread should have started if you wanted to do it right:

:metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 09:50:54 AM »
We already have a thread devoted solely to Avatar, so I am deleting all Avatar-related troll posts from this thread.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 10:03:34 AM »
For the record, this "Return of the Jedi" thread is the version that would've been directed by David Lynch, right? :hat
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 10:38:18 AM »
Nah, John Waters.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 10:49:53 AM »
Still haven't seen Avatar.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 11:21:55 AM »
Still haven't seen Avatar.
If you like sci-fi/action films, it's probably one you should see.  But it isn't life-changing or anything, and if those aren't your favorite kinds of films, this won't change your mind.

But it's a fun watch.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 11:43:50 AM »
Pretty much. I love obscure, dark sci/fi films, so this wasn't exactly my cup of tea but it's entertaining for the time you watch it. Nothing stuck with me and I didn't smile over the graphics as much as society did but it's still a nice popcorn flick.

I rewatched Coherence and still think it's one of the best sci/fi films I've ever seen; everything about it is constructed so delicately and even the douchiest of time-traveling/reality-bending sticklers will enjoy this as you'll be hard pressed to find any plot holes or attempt to even wrap your mind around what happened. It's awesome and this is what most sci/fi flicks are missing in my opinion...some deep thought behind the pizzazz and jazz hands. I mean, I love jazz hands and all, but flashiness only gets you so far; and in an age where everything is eye candy, I'm kinda glad there's very little to be found here in favor of putting your mind in a blender.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 11:48:50 AM »
I rewatched Coherence and still think it's one of the best sci/fi films I've ever seen; everything about it is constructed so delicately and even the douchiest of time-traveling/reality-bending sticklers will enjoy this as you'll be hard pressed to find any plot holes or attempt to even wrap your mind around what happened. It's awesome and this is what most sci/fi flicks are missing in my opinion...some deep thought behind the pizzazz and jazz hands. I mean, I love jazz hands and all, but flashiness only gets you so far; and in an age where everything is eye candy, I'm kinda glad there's very little to be found here in favor of putting your mind in a blender.

Never heard of it, but you had me at "time travel" and "douchiest". Probably gonna check this one out.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline adace

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 12:52:26 PM »
Pretty much. I love obscure, dark sci/fi films, so this wasn't exactly my cup of tea but it's entertaining for the time you watch it. Nothing stuck with me and I didn't smile over the graphics as much as society did but it's still a nice popcorn flick.

You need to watch Beyond the Black Rainbow if you haven't already. It's intense, surreal and super-creepy. Should be right up your alley.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 01:07:52 PM »

Never heard of it, but you had me at "time travel" and "douchiest". Probably gonna check this one out.

Cheating on my I see. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 10:32:26 PM »

Cheating on my I see. :lol

YOU NEVER SAID WE WERE EXCLUSIVE!

I've started watching it. I'll finish watching it today. So far I don't like the way they time cut. I'm not far enough into it to comment on the rest of the movie yet.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 10:38:46 PM »
It is very jarring, but you'll see that it's very deliberate. Granted, that won't stop it from being a negative if you don't like that format, but perhaps it'll give some meaning at least.

Black Rainbow has been on my list for a while, I'll definitely have to watch it one night soon. I'm about to watch Cap'n 'Murca Dos with my brohan soon-ish. I've got pretty much no expectations and am honestly not really in the mood for a superhero flick so it's gonna take a lot for this one to catch my interest right now...

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 10:48:58 PM »
It is very jarring, but you'll see that it's very deliberate. Granted, that won't stop it from being a negative if you don't like that format, but perhaps it'll give some meaning at least.

It doesn't bother me that much, it's just not something I'm used to, so it seems a bit odd at first.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2014, 12:07:14 AM »
Just watched Oculus.  I kind of expected it to be terrible, but it actually wasn't bad. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2014, 02:54:01 AM »
Just finished watching Coherence. It had some great ideas, but overall I didn't like the focus of it. Had they gotten to the last 10 minutes about half way through, and then had to deal with that mindfuck, that would have been more my kind of thing. I didn't enjoy the drama element much. Just my personal preference. Still, I enjoy seeing new takes on ideas, and I'm glad I watched it.

And now for a complete change of pace, I will be watching Mexican Batwoman from 1968, which will no doubt be a cinematic masterpiece! :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2014, 05:10:02 AM »
Is there a Youtube clip of this Mexican Batwoman so I can spit out my coffee this morning?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2014, 05:12:51 AM »
I will be watching Mexican Batwoman from 1968, which will no doubt be a cinematic masterpiece! :lol
Your choices constantly baffle me.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2014, 05:46:59 AM »
I will be watching Mexican Batwoman from 1968, which will no doubt be a cinematic masterpiece! :lol

I am fully aware of this. And it pleases me.

Is there a Youtube clip of this Mexican Batwoman so I can spit out my coffee this morning?

Dude, the whole movie is on Youtube! With subtitles. That's where I watched it from.

Movie was solid. Everyone in the movie was terrible at what they do. The police called in Batwoman to help them solve a series of mexican wrestler deaths. It turns out a criminal mastermind was harvesting their pineal glands to create a race of super fish men to conquer the world or something. And Batwoman wore a bikini all the time, except when she was wrestling, in which case it was a much larger stunt double.

Batwoman's greatest plan in the movie was when she realized the bad guys had planted a tracking device on her. Her plan was to keep the tracking device on her to lead the bad guys right to her. And then go to sleep. And not warn the guy who was staying over specifically to watch over her.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2014, 06:24:11 AM »
That seems like a Saturday night, with my hunny, drinking a few beers and getting our laugh on! :lol

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2014, 06:38:22 AM »
Just checking out the new movie thread, move along.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2014, 03:11:43 PM »

I am fully aware of this. And it pleases me.

Dude, the whole movie is on Youtube! With subtitles. That's where I watched it from.

Movie was solid. Everyone in the movie was terrible at what they do. The police called in Batwoman to help them solve a series of mexican wrestler deaths. It turns out a criminal mastermind was harvesting their pineal glands to create a race of super fish men to conquer the world or something. And Batwoman wore a bikini all the time, except when she was wrestling, in which case it was a much larger stunt double.

Batwoman's greatest plan in the movie was when she realized the bad guys had planted a tracking device on her. Her plan was to keep the tracking device on her to lead the bad guys right to her. And then go to sleep. And not warn the guy who was staying over specifically to watch over her.

Oh my god, I need to see this. ESPECIALLY because I was just talking about my Batman luchador mask. I smell a Halloween costume...
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2014, 03:16:43 PM »
Oh! That reminded me of Italian Spiderman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVpJnGCwlMA
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2014, 03:17:10 PM »
 :metal

We are talking about going as the Flintstones.  The wifey and I as Fred and Wilma and my bro and his wife as Barney and Betty and my nephew dressed as Bam Bam.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2014, 01:44:47 PM »
I caught Bullitt over the weekend for the first time in...well, decades.

That movie is still awesome.  Steve McQueen was fucking badass.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2014, 05:52:09 AM »
I caught Bullitt over the weekend for the first time in...well, decades.

That movie is still awesome.  Steve McQueen was fucking badass.

God, it has to have been at least seven or eight years since I last saw that film. I'll have to watch it again sometime soon! :metal

As for your humble narrator, I watched A Clockwork Orange for the first time last night! Incredible film and possibly my new favorite of Kubrick's. :hefdaddy
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2014, 05:53:06 AM »
I saw Lucy yesterday.

... At least I didn't pay for the ticket myself.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2014, 06:07:58 AM »
I saw Lucy yesterday.

I thought it was semi-decent. The science behind it was clearly bullshit, but I enjoyed the trippy sequence near the end.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2014, 06:34:24 AM »
I saw Lucy yesterday.

I thought it was semi-decent. The science behind it was clearly bullshit, but I enjoyed the trippy sequence near the end.

As soon as I heard  "humans only use 10% of their brains" in the trailer, I automatically dismissed that movie and I refuse to watch it.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2014, 06:39:58 AM »
It wasn't the lackadasial approach to science that bothered me as much as the fact that there was no tension whatsoever. Even from 20% on, Lucy was so extremely powerful that the whole mafia business just lost its appeal entirely, Lucy saying that she would die meant that fact didn't surprise anyone, and while I enjoyed that trippy ending quite a bit, it wasn't really enough to make up for a movie that, for 90% of its runtime didn't have any element of tension whatsoever.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2014, 02:51:25 PM »
The only draw for me is that it's directed by Luc Besson.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2014, 03:21:16 PM »
On a bit of a Hitchcock binge at the moment. Finally watched North by Northwest and Vertigo for the first time and I've seen Psycho two or three times before. I think Vertigo is probably my favorite of the three films that I've seen.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2014, 07:58:11 PM »
On a bit of a Hitchcock binge at the moment. Finally watched North by Northwest and Vertigo for the first time and I've seen Psycho two or three times before. I think Vertigo is probably my favorite of the three films that I've seen.

Of those 3 films, I still need to watch Vertigo but between the other 2, I prefer Psycho.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline jammindude

« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2014, 08:05:28 PM »
I had seen the classics for ages...but recently I saw a few of his lesser known films. 

Long story short...Rope is now my all favorite Hitchcock film.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude