Author Topic: LieLowTheWantedMan's Top 50 albums v. jesus christ again bro come on (1)  (Read 10512 times)

Offline Outcrier

Dogs is probably my favourite Pink Floyd song

Great song, one of my favorites from the little i've heard from PF :tup
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
29. Wu Tang Clan - Enter the Wu Tang (36 Chambers) (1993)

And here's possibly the most classic hip hop album of all time. If there's one thing this album has going for it, it's charisma. There are 9 rappers, all recognizable and great in their own way. Two of them (U-God and Masta Killa) only have one proper verse each, but both make those verses count for sure. The beats, done by RZA, are minimalist and pushed to the background more than most hip hop, but they add to the songs a ton in their own unique way. The main focus is on the rappers. This album really does feel like a bunch of buddies trying to outdo each other, and that's most of why it's so fun to listen to. All their personalities and idiosyncrasies come together to form a charismatic, memorable album. This is probably the most essential of the essential hip hop albums. If you're a hip hop fan who somehow hasn't heard this you're in for a treat.

Best tracks: Clan In Da Front, Da Mystery of Chessboxin, Wu-Tang Clan Ain't Nuthing ta Fuck Wit, C.R.E.A.M., Method Man, Protect Ya Neck

28. Portishead - Dummy (1994)

Mezzanine and this are basically the king and queen of the trip hop genre. No trip hop albums seem to have near the reputation that these two have. Well Mezzanine is a more sexual sounding night time album, this one is a bit more emotional. Some songs sound outright depressing, like Roads and Biscuit. The album also feels more song oriented than Mezzanine, rather than album oriented. It also only has one vocalist, Beth Gibbons. And her vocals are just beautiful. They're also diverse, there are a few songs where she sounds like a totally different woman. One thing of note is that I LOVE LOVE LOVE the use of record scratches on this album. And I really can't describe why. They're just awesome. Specifically in Wandering Star and Biscuit. Another awesome thing I can't describe is the guitar in Glory Box. It feels so unnatural, and that's the beauty of it I guess. Basically if you like Mezzanine, and you'd like to see a more emotional side of trip hop, check this out.

Best tracks: Sour Times, Wandering Star, Numb, Biscuit, Glory Box

27. The Jesus Lizard - Liar (1992)

This album was almost something of an afterthought to make this list. Then I remembered how much balls-to-the-wall fun it is to listen to, and it ended up placing relatively high. Anyway if there's anything that will turn you off it's the vocals. They're... something. David Yow can only be described as drunk and incoherent at all times. :lol He sounds almost humorous at first, but after you get used to him he's pretty awesome. It's usually called post-hardcore but I think it's a lot closer to regular hardcore punk than that. It's also often classified as noise rock. Perfectly fitting because it's noisy as fuck. It's also packed with more energy than almost any other album that comes to mind immediately. The riffs are awesome. The vocals (once you get used to them) are awesome. This album is just a high-octane blaze of masculinity. Listen to it. Drink boilermakers to it. ENJOY IIIIT!

Best tracks: Boilermaker, Gladiator, The Art of Self Defense, Puss, Rope
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 07:51:09 PM by LieLowTheWantedMan »

Offline Outcrier

Dope update, 36 Chambers and Dummy (though i prefer the comparables Illmatic and Endtroducing of their respective genres)  :hat
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 08:11:46 PM by Outcrier »

• DTF.org Member
I never thought of Endtroducing as trip hop, but I know lots do heh.

• DTF.org Member
26. Pixies - Doolittle (1989)

And here's one of the most influential albums in all of alt rock. Maybe even the most, who knows. You can hear lots of the 90s predicted in this album, especially stuff like Nirvana. Only this is far, far better than anything Nirvana's done. ;) It doesn't take itself too seriously, but at the same time it's really well written stuff. It even has some surf influence which gives it even more personality. One thing it's known for are the contrasts between quiet and loud parts. The best example is definitely Tame, with almost whispered verses, and a full-blown screamed chorus. And while tracks like that are powered by dynamics, most of the others are just catchy as all hell. And then there's stuff like Crackity Jones, which is just utter craziness. :lol I always randomly revisit this thing, and every single time it's just satisfying as hell. If you like stuff like Nirvana and haven't gotten to this yet, please do.

Best tracks: Debaser, Tame, I Bleed, Dead, Monkey Gone to Heaven, Mr. Grieves, Hey

25. A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory (1991)

The Low End Theory or Midnight Marauders? A Tribe Called Quest fans seem to be really divided between these two albums. For me it's The Low End Theory. And it's not even close. That's not a slight against Midnight Marauders or anything. Midnight Marauders is a super fun album that I love listening to. This one is just one of the best hip hop albums ever. It's pretty much the quintessential jazz rap album. Whereas Midnight Marauders is bouncy and full of energy, this one is (for the most part) far more chill, laid back, and smooth. The jazz samples are all flawlessly used. And in the case of Verses from the Abstract, you have jazz bassist Ron Carter laying down the bass lines. And they're tasty as fuck. I love listening to it and I plan on learning it on bass. Tip and Phife always sound like they're having a good time with it, and the vibes ooze out to the listener. Their chemistry is famously strong. This here's the ultimate hip hop album to chill to.

Best tracks: Excursions, Buggin' Out, Butter, Verses from the Abstract, Check the Rhime, Jazz (We've Got), Scenario

24. Sonic Youth - Sister (1987)

I am one of the two or three people on the planet who do not have Daydream Nation as their favourite Sonic Youth album. I still love it tons though, and if I allowed multiple albums from the same band it'd definitely be on this list. But since I don't allow it, this is all you'll get. ;) This album is where they fully evolved into the sound of their prime. They started out dark, dissonant, and almost sounding like early Swans. Pretty tasty No Wave. EVOL mixed the sound of that and their later, noise rock/alt rock sound. And then Sister came along and it was completely different (aside from the unnerving Pacific Coast Highway, which would fit right into their earlier stuff). Right from the first track they already sound way different from before. Schizophrenia is, aside from the one little outburst after Thurston's vocals, a calm, melodic track. And the verses are quite depressing and beautiful. Beautiful never being a word that I would use to describe earlier Sonic Youth. The rest of the album manages to mix together dissonant noise and catchy melodies as the band became most known for. It may not be as ambitious as Daydream Nation, but I find it slightly more satisfying overall.

Best tracks: Schizophrenia, (I Got A) Catholic Block, Stereo Sanctity, Pipeline/Kill Time, Tuff Gnarl, Pacific Coast Highway, White Cross

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
While I have other albums as favorites by both Pixies and Sonic Youth, it's hard to argue with any of them being on the list. Two amazing bands and two amazing albums.  :heart

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Late for the party, but Dummy is amazing. I much prefer it to Mezzanine, actually, even though that's a great album as well.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

• DTF.org Member
23. Van der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts (1971)

Classic prog, I once really loved thee. Well some of it is still really awesome. This probably being the most awesome. There are only 3 songs, all of which are over 10 minutes, one of which is 23 minutes. Now why does VdGG stand out so much above other classic prog bands to me? Well, several reasons. They aren't overtly show offy, they can be delightfully weird (this album is the best example), Peter Hammill is one of the most brilliant lyricists out there and his vocals have so much fiery passion, versatility, and character that he's just a joy to listen to, they manage to rock super hard with (mostly) no guitar, and they really sound nothing like any other prog band or band in general. Oh and their saxophonist plays TWO SAXOPHONES AT THE SAME TIME! C'mon, that's awesome.

Now onto the album. This is definitely their weirdest, most experimental, and most ambitious release. The production isn't quite as crisp as their later releases either, but it works to the album's advantage in my opinion. It features a few crazy noisy sections, especially in the epic A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers, and lots of psychedelic overtones. Speaking of A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers, I think it's by far the greatest epic in prog and one of my favourite songs overall. It's a 23 minute ode to loneliness that goes through a whirlwind of different emotions all greatly enhanced by Hammill's amazing vocal delivery. Don't let the psychedelic section near the beginning put you off, it's quite an interesting song. Just prepared to go through some absolute chaos. :lol And even if you try this album and don't like it, you can always try out the more accessible Godbluff and Still Life. But for me, this is their peak.

Best tracks: All of them, but mostly A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers

22. American Football - s/t (1999)

And here's the greatest album in the twinkly guitar midwest emo genre. It really is the pinnacle of the genre. And lots of that is because of, well, the twinkly guitars. They never sounded better than on this album. Just immaculately produced and beautifully layered. It's real ear candy. The band also seems to enjoy odd time signatures, which gives it a more unique, fresh sound I find. The lyrics are, well, not always subtle but that's kind of usual for emo. :lol It's supposed to make you feel like a depressed teenager, and it does its job as well as any other. The album even feels longer than it is I find, but that isn't always a negative thing. Hell, feels like I'm enjoying more that way. ;) This is another album it's hard for me to go in depth about. If you are a depressed teenager or want to feel like one again, listen to it.

Best tracks: Never Meant, The Summer Ends, Honestly?, I'll See You When We're Both Not So Emotional, Stay Home

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
American Football is amazing. Never Meant and Stay Home especially, but the whole album really manages to perfectly capture a sound, a moment in time and a certain atmosphere. Even if you hear it for the first time, there's something nostalgic about it. Makes you think back to the older days.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

American Football is amazing. Never Meant and Stay Home especially, but the whole album really manages to perfectly capture a sound, a moment in time and a certain atmosphere. Even if you hear it for the first time, there's something nostalgic about it. Makes you think back to the older days.

This.

It's truly a masterpiece and one of the most atmospheric albums I know of, though not in the way most people might use the term.

Offline Outcrier

Low End Theory   :hat :chill

• DTF.org Member
21. Boris - Boris At Last -Feedbacker- (2003)

If there was ever an appropriate album title... :lol This album is actually a single 44 minute song in 5 parts. And each song just builds and builds. And, as I hinted at, there's lots of guitar feedback. ;) The first track may be throwaway to some, but I like it as it sets the tone well. Even if it is a little long. It's simple drone. Part 2 is basically a post-rock tune, part 3 is noise rock/metal, part 4 is... just noise. :lol And part 5 is basically just a short part 2 reprise. While on any other album just skimming through the tracks like I did wouldn't mean much, what I said might give you an idea of how it builds. After the opening drone, the real action begins in part 2, and after that the album slowly builds (or devolves depending on your perspective) into something noisier and noisier until finally part 4 just assaults you with all out noise, and part 5 eases you out of things. So you should already know this album is not for everyone. :lol If you like both drone and noise, good, check it out immediately. This album sends more chills up my spine than almost any other. It's very original and effective in its execution, and is almost equal parts beauty and ugliness.

Best tracks: All

20. NoMeansNo - Wrong (1989)

NoMeansNo is the most awesome punk band there is. These awesome Canucks capture all the anger and energy and punk, and mix it with expert musicianship, punishing basslines (with an equally awesome tone), and a humourous side. Have you ever heard Minutemen? Well this is them on steroids. They sometimes manage to almost be prog and punk at once. They're also comparable to The Jesus Lizard as you can tell they love their beer, and they just sound masculine as fuck. :lol So masculine they had to bring in a female vocalist in The End of All Things just to balance things out. But these guys have lots that The Jesus Lizard don't. Superior musicianship and a more varied sound most notably. And like I mentioned earlier, DAT BASS. Rob Wright (a.k.a. Mr. Wrong) is both the bassist and vocalist and he just dominates at both of these. And his brother John Wright (a.k.a. Mr. Right. Haha, get it? Wright is a combination of wrong and right. Hahahahahahahahaha......) is the drummer, and also a beast at his instrument. So yeah, every punk fan ABSOLUTE NEEDS THIS I AM NOT JOKING LISTEN TO IT NOWWWW

Best tracks: It's Catching Up, The Tower, Stocktaking, The End of All Things, Big Dick, Rags and Bones, Oh No! Bruno!, All Lies

Offline Mladen

Slightly late to the party - following, some really good stuff in here, especially VdGG.  :tup

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
Feedbacker is a masterpiece. Boris overall have quickly become a new favorite, such a fantastic band.

• DTF.org Member
Re: LieLowTheWantedMan's Top 50 albums v. jesus christ again bro come on (19-18)
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2014, 10:48:26 PM »
19. Radiohead - Kid A (2000)

This album is definitely Radiohead's peak in my opinion. It finds this pleasant zone between weird experimentation and catchy accessibility. This is Radiohead at their most electronic. Which may be good or bad depending on your tastes. There's very little rock to be found here, aside from on Optimistic, which is a fantastic song. The National Anthem is close to rock too I guess, but that song is almost unclassifiable really. :lol Either way as a whole, this album has a lot going for it. It's got catchiness, it's atmospheric (and even ambient at times), and it's just interesting as hell to listen to. At times it's downright weird, but still manages to be pleasant (aside from the end of The National Anthem, but come on that part's awesome anyway :lol). This is probably the most accessible "weird as fuck" album around, and you should probably show it to all your friends.

Best tracks: Everything In It's Right Place, The National Anthem, How To Disappear Completely, Optimistic, Idioteque, Morning Bell

18. Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun (1999)

This is definitely one of the most beautiful albums ever. So is the one after it, ( ). But I prefer this one ever so slightly. Like with A Tribe Called Quest's Midnight Marauders and The Low End Theory, they're two albums the fanbase seems divided between. I actually bought this album totally at random without ever hearing a Sigur Ros song (or even a post-rock song for that matter) prior a few years back and it blew me away on the first listen. It's bright and summery, yet almost melancholy at the same time. The bowed guitar has always been a staple of the Sigur Ros sound and it has some really beautiful moments here. And a few songs feature beautiful strings (especially on Staralfur which has some of the most beautiful use of strings ever). Another neat thing they incorporate is the use of a cymbal that had been driven over on Ny Batteri. And it sounds really cool! Like I said, one of the most beautiful albums ever. Maybe the most beautiful. I know a great deal of people here are familiar with Sigur Ros but if you are not do check them out.

Best tracks: Staralfur, Ny batteri, Viðrar vel til loftárása, Olsen Olsen, Agaetis byrjun

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Re: LieLowTheWantedMan's Top 50 albums v. jesus christ again bro come on (19-18)
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2014, 11:03:18 PM »
Kid A is a great album that I've been able to warm up to recently. Even so, I feel it falls just short of being truly amazing. It starts off strong and the fuzzy electronic sound I adore a lot, but the last two tracks is kinda where it wanes off a bit for me and doesn't leave the best of final impressions. Even so, it's thoroughly enjoyable.

Agaetis Byrjun :heart What a terrific listen. Not many come close to the beauty perfected here.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2014, 03:58:56 AM »
Excellent list! Could be my favorite Top 50 albums list on this site!  :tup

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2014, 04:13:14 AM »
Agaetis Byrjun is not one of my favorite Sigur Rós albums, but it is incredible. The band overall is just one of the best, and Agaetis Byrjun is their first classic. Hard to argue with Kid A, amazing album. I tend to lump it together with Amnesiac for my favorite Radiohead release, it's really strong.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2014, 02:50:07 AM »
Kid A was in my top 50 as well. Great pick.  :tup

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2014, 04:47:47 AM »
Kid Amazing  :tup

• DTF.org Member
Re: LieLowTheWantedMan's Top 50 albums v. jesus christ again bro come on (17-16)
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2014, 07:17:44 PM »
17. Danny Brown - XXX (2011)

There were a few times I wasn't sure about placing XXX this high. It's not a perfect album, it has a few tracks I like far less than the rest. But as a whole it's such a fun, unique, and rewarding listen that it gets the #17 spot. Besides, I shouldn't look at individual tracks toooooo much because I find this album very much to be a full album experience. Danny Brown is one of the most interesting figures in modern hip hop. He has an eclectic musical background (he's a big Joy Division fan and they were apparently who he was most listening to while recording this, and his favourite album of all time is Forever Changes by Love, which I find interesting). He also ranges from Lil B levels of humorous exaggeration and absurdity in his lyrics to serious, depressing writing. This album is incredibly hilarious at times, but as a whole is quite an emotional statement. The hilarity is even further amplified by Danny using his trademark high-pitched voice, which many find annoying, but many like me also find it awesome.

The album has two very distinct halves. The first half carries most of the humour, is mainly in his high-pitched voice, and is a lot more boastful and not always meant to be taken too seriously. The second half is a poignant look at the darker side of all the fun had in the first half, features him using almost entirely his normal lower pitched voice, and is a lot more serious. The last track, 30, breaks that mold and is almost like the entire album summed up in a track, starting out with the hilarious, wacky, and absurd lyrics of the first half and ending on a seriously dark note. It's probably the most effective album closer I've ever heard, and it really changes your view of the entire album. Seriously, listening to the first half you would never expect the album to turn out to be such an emotional statement, it really sneaks up on you. It's not for everyone for sure, but if you don't mind modern hip hop it's essential, and it might be my favourite hip hop album of all time.

Best tracks: Die Like a Rockstar, Pac Blood, I Will, Detroit 187, Monopoly, DNA, Party All the Time, EWNESW, Fields, 30

16. Slint - Spiderland (1991)

Now after an album I went on about forever, here's one that's a lot harder to put into words. This album is often known as one of the first post-rock albums. Slint has a really unique atmosphere about their music, and it seems to be in the guitars. There's something so unique and captivating about the quieter riffs on this album, most notably the ones in Breadcrumb Trail and Nosferatu Man I find. I really can't describe it at all, it's almost creepy but also soothing in a way. The quieter sections are contrasted with post-hardcoreish louder sections, that always give me chills. Another thing to note about this album is the spoken word. That is to say it's awesome, and another piece of uniqueness that contributes to the album's creepy/soothing atmosphere. The production is perfect as well, and the album probably wouldn't sound the same without it. It's a peculiar gem, and it should be explored by all of you.

Best tracks: All of them except For Dinner...

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Re: LieLowTheWantedMan's Top 50 albums v. jesus christ again bro come on (17-16)
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2014, 07:59:30 PM »
Excellent Slint record. I'm surprised to see XXX that high,I now HAVE TO give it a listen.  :tup

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2014, 08:18:58 PM »
It's super love-or-hate, but hope you enjoy. :)

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2014, 08:43:02 PM »
Spiderland is fantastic. :tup

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2014, 09:34:18 PM »
I was just listening to the first half of "XXX" yesterday since i really liked "Old" (2013). Great stuff, especially Pac Blood (loved how the samples used from Bob James "Nautilus" and Fleet Foxes "English House" complemented each other).

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2014, 09:27:11 PM »
Sorry guys, I'm back in college and have lots to focus on. Results will probably be up later tonight.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2014, 02:27:11 AM »
Spiderland is amazing. One of my favorites as well.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2014, 01:13:31 AM »
Okay I'll try this.

15. Brand New - The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me (2006)

The thing with Brand New is if I did allow artists to have repeat albums up here, I wouldn't doubt that they'd have 3 albums in the top 50. Brand New is one of my absolute favourite bands, as well as the only band I like that I've seen live. And they put on one amazing show. Anyways, this is their peak, and probably the peak of the entire emo genre. It's not always as catchy as Deja Entendu or as heavy as Daisy but it finds a perfect middle ground between the two. The lyrics are just top notch stuff. Everything is eloquently written and ranges from subtle to in-your-face. The album also uses dynamics in a way that would make Pixies proud. Luca scared the shit out of me first listen. :lol Other notable songs include Limousine, which is the band's longest song and is a very depressing track with a spectacular buildup, and You Won't Know, which probably features the best aforementioned use of dynamics on the album. Jesus is another highly touted song that features probably the best lyrics on the album and has a nice memorable riff. This is definitely one of my favourite albums to listen to when I'm feeling down, and give it a chance if the description intrigues you.

Best tracks: Millstone, Jesus, Limousine, You Won't Know, Luca, The Archers Bows Have Broken

14. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven! (2000)

I had a lot of trouble deciding whether to put this or F#A# here. I went with this because I find it to be a more impressive objective achievement. It is one of the most legendary albums in the entire underground music scene. It features four songs, all of which are around 20 minutes long, and all of which are just amazing achievements. While F#A# may be superior from an atmospheric standpoint, Lift Your Skinny Fists is probably better from an overall musical one. The way the album orchestrates perfect crescendos is out of this world, and something that is unmatched by anyone else in post-rock. And it lets you know right from the opener. The first 6 minutes of Storm is hands down one of the best openings to an album of all time. Another thing to note is the amazing use of spoken word samples, which is really found throughout Godspeed's music. The most notable ones here are the priest or whatever in Static and the intro of Sleep. Their use of spoken word samples is second to one other album (which you may see soon eh? ::) ) in my mind. Speaking of Sleep, it's my pick for best on the album, and one of my favourite songs ever. Both buildups in the song are probably my two favourites on the record. This one is only at #14 because I really have to be in a mood to take it all in, but it's one of the most amazing albums (in an "achievement" way if that makes sense) I've ever heard, and if it doesn't go down in history it'll be criminal.

Best tracks: ALL but mostly Sleep

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
Re: LieLowTheWantedMan's Top 50 albums v. jesus christ again bro come on (15-14)
« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2014, 02:10:15 AM »
2 amazing albums, LYSF is in my top5. I read the title of your update and thought of another album though, but I think we'll see that one soon.  ;)

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Re: LieLowTheWantedMan's Top 50 albums v. jesus christ again bro come on (15-14)
« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2014, 10:20:14 AM »
As soon as I saw the title,I knew which album it was gonna be.  :heart

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2014, 03:06:21 PM »
These two are complete masterpieces. Love them to death.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2014, 03:35:05 PM »

Confusing threads, mister  :biggrin:

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2014, 04:09:07 PM »

i loooooove you jesus christ

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #68 on: September 09, 2014, 06:46:46 PM »
Barely noticed, but...

Their use of spoken word samples is second to one other album (which you may see soon eh? ::) ) in my mind.

Soundtracks for the Blind much? :biggrin:

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
« Reply #69 on: September 09, 2014, 09:41:21 PM »
2 of my favorite albums of all time, especially LYSF, I will be listening to those 2 albums tonight.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”