Author Topic: LieLowTheWantedMan's Top 50 albums v. jesus christ again bro come on (1)  (Read 10405 times)

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Re: LieLowTheWantedMan's Top 50 albums v. jesus christ again bro come on (15-14)
« Reply #70 on: September 09, 2014, 09:52:50 PM »
Brilliant list.  Following.  Enter the Wu-Tang is a gahdamn classic. 

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
Re: LieLowTheWantedMan's Top 50 albums v. jesus christ again bro come on (15-14)
« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2014, 12:39:54 AM »
13. The Microphones - The Glow Pt. 2 (2001)

If there's any word that describes this album, it is "warm". I never really got the whole "warm" feeling people say they get from lots of albums, except this one here. It actually took me a while to like this one. I heard lots about how amazing it is, got it, listened every now and then but never thought much of it. Thought it was good, but not top 50 of all time good. Now it's top 20 of all time good. :D First thing to note is it's decently long. It's 66 minutes and feels even longer than that. But as I mentioned earlier in this list, that is not always a bad thing. This album also mainly shifts between two genres: indie folk and noise rock. Quite different from one another, but gives the album a nice array of moods. The lyrics are cryptic, but nicely poetic. It features some very beautiful melodic moments (most notably I Want Wind to Blow, Headless Horseman, I Felt Your Shape), some crushing noisy moments (The Glow Pt. 2, Samurai Sword, I Want To Be Cold), and then there's The Moon, which is noisy, but soothingly noisy. It's a hypnotizing track that you just want to play as loud as you can to immerse yourself in. I also like that weird little drone that occurs throughout the album (most notably for the last 8 minutes of the album :lol). Lots of people don't like it but I find it contributes to the warmth. Essential indie listening.

Best tracks: I Want Wind to Blow, The Moon, Headless Horseman, The Mansion, Map, I Felt Your Shape, Samurai Sword, My Warm Blood

12. Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea (1998)

Zantera's hunch was correct. We were seeing this soon. Very soon in fact. Like with Lift Your Skinny Fists, this album is absolutely legendary in the underground music scene. It's often looked up to as one of the best if not THE best indie album of all time. And that's totally justifiable. Once I get into the mood for this one it's all I listen to until I get tired of it. It's really hard to describe. Now while this is legendary, it doesn't come without its fair share of hate. Mostly due to Jeff Mangum's... not so trained voice, heh. Frankly, he doesn't sound very good sometimes. Which says a ton about the songwriting that the album still warrants a spot this high. The songwriting is of the highest tier.

The album contains memorable little indie folk tunes and super fun rockers. It features a fuzz that the album would not be the same without, great use of horns, and some of the greatest lyrics in all of music. And oh man those lyrics. If there's one thing you'll take from your first listen it is a very strong opinion of the lyrics, whether you'll find them oddly alluring and beautifully poetic, or just plain weird and/or incomprehensible. I definitely fall in the former group, even if it features some really odd stuff like "semen stains the mountain tops" or something a little laughable and out-of-nowhere, and I'm sure most people who have heard it know the exact part I have in mind (Zantera already mentioned it). ;) Two Headed Boy, Pt. 2 is another track I want to touch on, because it's one of the most emotionally charged closers ever. Even if it's one of the tracks where his voice might be a little grating. Those closing lyrics, even if weird and difficult to understand what exactly they mean at one point, are one of the most powerful moments in all of music for me, and one of the best reprises of a previous song I can think of. So yeah, this is a polarizing album, but undeniably legendary nonetheless. If you haven't heard it, listen. You might loathe it, you might love it. Might as well give it a shot.

Best tracks: All

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: LieLowTheWantedMan's Top 50 albums v. jesus christ again bro come on (13-12)
« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2014, 03:56:06 AM »
I've been meaning to check out The Glow Pt. 2 for quite a while. And I don't say that in a casual way, like "I've heard good things and it's been in my head", but I actually got as far as getting the album on my computer and had plans to spin it, but for some reason it fell between the cracks. This gives me a nice reason to finally get to it though.

As for Neutral Milk Hotel, it's such a classic. Even if you're not huge on Indie Rock (I would say I'm a casual fan of the genre, but it's not the only genre I live and breathe), this album is still so iconic that it's hard to dislike it. It's a charming album that really is unique in so many ways. A lot of great hooks and interesting lyrics to sing a long to, like "I loooove you Jesus Christ" or "When you were young, you were the king of carrot flowers". Several really catchy songs, as well as a nice slow burn in "Oh Comely", which is one of my personal favorites. It's up there among my favorites as well.

:heart

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: LieLowTheWantedMan's Top 50 albums v. jesus christ again bro come on (13-12)
« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2014, 08:48:08 AM »
I once listened to that NMH album, and thought it was... not good. I couldn't get pass the noisy/lo-fi production and the singer's voice :lol . But what the hell, this is still an amazing list :tup .

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2014, 09:51:00 AM »
There's so many things to love about ITAOTS. Captivating lyrics, immensely layered and interesting instrumentation, cohesive, emotional themes, and overall memorability. It's really hard not to take something out of it, even if you go in skeptical. I sure as hell did.

I'm not sure I hail it as one of the greatest releases in underground music as many seem to do, but it is thoroughly enjoyable.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2014, 02:38:22 PM »
The OP has been updated with a list of everything shown so far. It'll make it easier to guess. ;) Next update will be tonight sometime.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #76 on: September 14, 2014, 12:52:43 AM »
11. Converge - Jane Doe (2001)

This is definitely the angriest album I've ever heard. The pure emotion in this one is almost overwhelming. Out of every album I've heard this one probably changed my opinion drastically from first to second listen more than any other, heh. First listen I thought it wasn't that good at all, and the second I loved it a bunch. Now one thing to keep in mind is the lyrics are, for the most part, completely unintelligible. And usually the "lyrics" in the booklet don't match up with the song at all (but are nice nonetheless :lol). So it's best to just think of it as him just screaming his face off randomly. My description may make it sound awful, but really it's a very cathartic album so it makes the most sense I guess, heh.

So besides just being an all-out emotional assault, it has other things going for it too. The drumming is spectacular. Phoenix In Flames is a great example, it's a 42 second track that is basically entirely drums and screaming vocals, and the drums are really crazy. The riffs are really awesome too, and in this case it's difficult to point to a specific track because awesome riffs are everywhere. But maybe Heaven In Her Arms is the best example, especially at 2:39. The closest this album gives to a breather from all the noise is Hell to Pay, which is a really awesome bass-driven tune. The title track has a calmer moment too. Speaking of which, the title track is hands-down one of the greatest metal songs of all time in my opinion. It's 11 minutes long, and almost a lot sadder sounding than angry. And it's an insanely emotional performance. So I've probably used this phrase many times and will use it more times by the end of this list, but this album is not for everyone. If you're curious though, feel free to give it a chance.

10. Kayo Dot - Choirs of the Eye (2002)

Damn that is one gorgeous album cover. I love it a lot. And the music is even better! This album truly defies all genre descriptions. It's easiest to just call it "avant-garde" and be done with it. :lol So this was my favourite album ever for a long time, and I think this is the first time it hasn't appeared in my top 5. But I'm certainly not enjoying it any less. I'm just finding other stuff I enjoy even more, or there are old albums I began to enjoy even more over time. So why do I love it so much? Well, like I said it defies all genre descriptions, and really description in general. There's nothing like it. It's amazingly beautiful at points (Wayfarer :heart :heart :heart) and a total wall of noise at others (The Manifold Curiosity :heart :heart :heart). It relies on build-ups a lot, like post-rock. The Antique's, slow, creeping buildup is one of the greatest of all time, before the song descends into absolute insanity and ends on a really beautiful note. Perhaps one of the greatest things about this album is the production. I think this might be the greatest produced album of all time in my opinion. It just brings out all the right elements and gives the album its atmosphere. So if you like metal and/or jazz and/or post-rock and/or drone and/or dark ambient and/or avant-garde and/or prog and/or classical and/or good music in general you should probably get to listenin'! ;)

• DTF.org Member
Re: LieLowTheWantedMan's Top 50 albums v. jesus christ again bro come on (11-10)
« Reply #77 on: September 14, 2014, 12:54:44 AM »
BTW not every album will be "Best tracks: All" from now on. It's just getting difficult to choose. :lol

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Re: LieLowTheWantedMan's Top 50 albums v. jesus christ again bro come on (11-10)
« Reply #78 on: September 14, 2014, 01:02:45 AM »
Now here's two albums I've been meaning to check out for some time. I should remedy that.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #79 on: September 14, 2014, 01:41:22 AM »
Choirs of the Eye, total classic. 

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #80 on: September 14, 2014, 01:41:49 AM »
Both of these albums are in my top15, probably even my top10 as well. Both are incredible.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #81 on: September 14, 2014, 10:55:00 PM »
9. DJ Shadow - Endtroducing (1996)

This album is renowned for being composed entirely of samples. And anyone who thinks samples are EEEEEEEVIIIIIIIIIIIL should definitely give it a listen. Because it is truly extraordinary work. He'll blend samples from several different songs to make something entirely different from what was going on in any of them. Most of the stuff he chooses is obscure jazz, funk, early hip hop, and soul recordings found in his gargantuan record collection, but some more well known stuff emerges on occasion like the subtle use of the intro to Orion by Metallica in The Number Song and Possibly Maybe by Bjork on Mutual Slump. So while I noted jazz, funk, hip hop, and soul as the main genres samples here, the end product is more often than not something completely different in style. Something more spacey and atmospheric than what is usually found in the aforementioned genres.

Really, this is one of the most astounding albums I've heard on a technical level. The amount of work and skill it must have taken to weave all these unrelated samples to create things vastly superior to the source material is unimaginable. You hear some albums where there's guitar shredding or whatever and think it's amazing, but with lots of practice you could eventually pull it off. Whereas when I listen to this I can't imagine there's any hope of me achieving something like it. :lol It's hard for me to do the album justice with words. But just experience it sometime. Maybe it'll take a bit to hit, but it's one of the ultimate albums to chill to.

Best tracks: Building Steam With a Grain of Salt, Changeling, What Does Your Soul Look Like (Part 4), Stem/Long Stem, Midnight in a Perfect World, What Does Your Soul Look Like (Part 1 - Blue Sky Revisit)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
Re: LieLowTheWantedMan's Top 50 albums v. jesus christ again bro come on (9)
« Reply #82 on: September 15, 2014, 01:14:07 AM »
This is one of those albums I've been meaning to check out, but haven't yet. I do have it on my computer even.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #83 on: September 15, 2014, 08:25:38 AM »
Converge are... too angry for me :lol , but I have a friend that loves stuff like that and he's liking it a lot. I'm still digesting the Kayo Dot album, but it sounds amazing.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #84 on: September 15, 2014, 11:08:40 AM »
Really, this is one of the most astounding albums I've heard on a technical level. The amount of work and skill it must have taken to weave all these unrelated samples to create things vastly superior to the source material is unimaginable.

Agreed, Endtroducing is pure genius.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
« Reply #85 on: September 16, 2014, 12:40:31 AM »
I never get tired of listening to Building Steam With a Grain of Salt. That's such an awesome opener to an album.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #86 on: September 16, 2014, 03:59:21 PM »
I almost forgot, I'll do an honourable mention to go along with every album from now on. Since I forgot this one, I'll do it now. #8 will be up tonight probably.

Honourable mention:

Violent Femmes - s/t (1983)

This is probably my #51 or something. Oh so close to making the list. Violent Femmes have a sort of acoustic punk sound. Their songs are super fun to listen to, and their vocalist, Gordan Gano, is super charismatic. Their lyrics can be rather amusing, as can be Gano's delivery of some of the lyrics (in a good way). Most people here probably know the song Blister in the Sun, as it's rather well-known in general. Either way, check it out guys, it's a really good one!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #87 on: September 18, 2014, 12:52:41 AM »
Honorable mention:

Talking Heads - Remain in Light (1980)

TAKE A LOOK AT THESE HANDS!! This album is just outrageously fun. Everyone here has to know who Talking Heads are. David Byrne is just an outrageously fun musician, with his little one-liners and quirkiness. The album is funky and accessible and weird all at once. It's a true classic. Check it out.

8. Boards of Canada - The Campfire Headphase (2005)

So many questions that are probably running through your heads. Why are Boards of Canada so astronomically low (compared to how LieLow thinks of them)? Why The Campfire Headphase of all albums? Well to the first one, I don't know. Maybe I just wanted to give a fair shake to other albums, or maybe it's the fact literally every BoC album could be considered for this spot. :lol As for why I picked the least popular of all of their officially released studio albums? Simply because it's the one I'm listening to most lately. If you know me, you know I could never pick a true BoC favourite and I absolutely adore everything they've done. BoC speaks to me on a level nothing else does. Their music puts me in this weird euphoric state of mind. And just the amount of effort they put into making everything sound exactly like what they have in mind is deserving of recognition. But enough fawning over the brothers themselves, what about this album?

As I said, it's probably their least popular officially released studio album. And I have no idea why. In my opinion it has several of their most memorable tracks. Chromakey Dreamcoat, the absolutely gorgeous acoustic driven Satellite Anthem Icarus, Peacock Tail with the effective use of fading out of instruments, Dayvan Cowboy with its majestic intro, '84 Pontiac Dream with its perfect city atmosphere and neat little "corporate jingle" that always gives me frissons for some reason, Sherbet Head which captures a perfect ambient atmosphere, Oscar See Through Red Eye which sounds oddly dark for the mostly bright sounding album, Hey Saturday Sun with its extreme trippiness, Slow This Bird Down which is insanely relaxing and has an absolutely beautiful melody, and Tears From the Compound Eye which is probably their saddest sounding song. So I named almost every non-interlude type song on the album. Oh well. :lol

Now to describe the album as a whole? I have this weird thing with it where I always relate it to whatever season it currently is. If it's winter, the album sounds cold and frigid to me. If it's summer, it sounds warm and beachlike. It's probably the only album I know that changes my view like that. Boards of Canada is a very outdoorsy band in general. Their music really is perfect for hiking and all that. Another thing about them is how subtle little things in the music are so incredibly effective. Like the train track percussion in Chromakey Dreamcoat or the voices in Sherbet Head. Anyways I could go on about BoC forever but I'll spare you guys that. If you haven't listened, check them out. Maybe they'll bore you, maybe you'll turn into a rabid fanboy like me. :lol

Best tracks: All those ones mentioned in paragraph 2.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
Re: LieLowTheWantedMan's Top 50 albums v. jesus christ again bro come on (8)
« Reply #88 on: September 18, 2014, 01:22:54 AM »
Talking Heads  :tup

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #89 on: September 18, 2014, 01:31:38 AM »
Campfire was the last album i listened from Boards of Canada and, to my surprise (because most say it's their "weakest effort"), i loved it, even more than Geogaddi (which is my least favorite).
To my fanboy ears, they can do no wrong  :P
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #90 on: September 18, 2014, 01:33:41 AM »
I always considered Headphase slightly weaker than the rest, then one day it hit me like a ton of bricks. Now it's the one I reach for most, but in a few months that will change again, as it always does with these guys. :lol

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #91 on: September 18, 2014, 01:49:39 AM »
I fully understand your love for Campfire, I've always really liked it myself. Either that one or Geogaddi are my favorites, but their discography is just so strong overall.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #92 on: September 23, 2014, 02:57:13 AM »
Things have been pretty busy/awesome/bad for me lately. Sorry guys. The rest will hopefully come quicker.

Honourable mention:

The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico (1967)

This is one of the most influential albums ever made. Punk rock, noise rock, prog, art rock, and many many other rock offshoots owe a lot to this album. You hear their sound everywhere. It wasn't popular on its release, but its impact was real. Like Brian Eno said, not many people bought it but everyone who did went out and started a band. :lol Luckily its influence is far more recognized nowadays. It's perverse, dissonant, catchy, noisy, beautiful, and ugly all in one neat package. Essential rock listening. Even if you probably won't like it I think it's worth listening to anyway just to hear how different it was for the time.

7. Talk Talk - Laughing Stock (1991)

This is probably the most mood-based album in my top 10. There are times I can't really enjoy it, and others where it'll floor me throughout it's entirety. It's the 5th and final album from synth-pop-turned-post-rock band Talk Talk. Prior to this they released The Spirit of Eden, often called the first post-rock album. Their previous albums were pop. Talk about a change in style. You go from pop to pioneering a genre that's almost anti-pop. If you hear Laughing Stock before anything else, you wouldn't be able to believe they were pop before. Spirit of Eden maybe. It's post-rock, but it does have more conventional leanings. Whereas half the time Laughing Stock doesn't even feel like it has a structure or is headed anywhere. But somehow it's another contender for the most beautiful album ever made. It's weird and disjointed, yet so damn pleasing to the ears. It's even jarring at times (like the louder parts of Ascension Day or the horn-type things in Taphead), but still manages to retain this weird minimalistic beauty.

Now I might as well speak of some memorable tracks. After the Flood is driven by a really pretty sounding bassline. It's incredibly simple and features few notes compared to the song's tempo, but it really makes the song. Taphead has a repetitive but absolutely stunning middle section. The guitar melody is really pretty if not a bit unsettling sounding, and the random instrument noises add to the experimental feel of the album. New Grass is repetitive through and through, but man is it ever groovy. The way the piano and the guitar mesh together is just sex. :heart :heart And it's driven by a really neat jazzy drumline. This is a difficult album to properly describe. It's beautiful, yet jarring and disjointed. It's incredibly inaccessible for a band that was making pop two albums ago. But that doesn't mean you won't like it. It took me a while to come around to it, but it's a truly amazing work of art.

Best tracks: Ascension Day, After the Flood, Taphead, New Grass

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
Re: LieLowTheWantedMan's Top 50 albums v. jesus christ again bro come on (7)
« Reply #93 on: September 23, 2014, 03:10:25 AM »
Laughing Stock is amazing. I haven't listened to it much in the last year or so, and I wouldn't rank it AS high myself (to me there are a few better post-rock albums), but Laughing Stock is pretty much flawless. What a fantastic album.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #94 on: September 23, 2014, 11:44:48 AM »
:clap:

Laughing Stock is amazing. The word "groove" comes to mind, but man this is one where you can just go and zen out.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #95 on: September 25, 2014, 01:14:10 AM »
Honourable mention:

Autechre - Tri Repetae (1995)

To prepare you for the mindfuck of an album cover coming right up, here's one of the most boring covers ever. :lol Luckily, the music is awesome. Autechre are probably my favourite artists that will not be found actually on the list. They have an incredibly consistent discography that I love basically all of, but nothing top 50 calibre. This and Confield come close though. How to describe Autechre? Some of the most cold, mechanical electronic music around. This is probably one of their less cold albums, but it still certainly is. Now while cold and mechanical may be a dealbreaker for many, Autechre know what they're doing. Some of the sounds they make are so intriguing they're enjoyable by themselves. But really their songs just sound so cool, and many are quite atmospheric. Check it out, electronic music fans!

6. Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion (2009)

Yes I'm one of those guys who thinks this is the best AnCo album. Their other albums are amazing yes, but I think this is their peak. Sure it's probably their most streamlined release, but there's still no shortage of weirdness. If you haven't heard it and want to know what it sounds like, well stare at that cover for a bit and you'll get the idea. It's trippy as hell. But it's also criminally catchy and fun to listen to. It's probably the only album I declared a favourite right after the first listen. It had that much of an effect. Hell, even just the opener really left an impression. The "if I could just leave my body for the night" section got me right into things. :heart :heart AnCo are incredibly polarizing. I sort of understand and sort of don't. Lots of people find them very annoying but I find their childlike happiness incredibly endearing. They're like the Beach Boys only modern and not totally boring!

:vomitard:

Anyways so yeah, more to say. This album will put you in a good mood (unless you hate it in which case it will put you in a not very good mood). It's super happy. Especially in songs like Summertime Clothes and Brother Sport. Brother Sport, by the way, being an amazing closer, and a supreme example of repetitiveness done right. Other notable songs include the opener which I referenced earlier. My Girls, a more conventional (at least relative to the rest of the album) pop song but amazingly catchy. Bluish which is an aquatic love song with nice harmonies and an amazing chorus. Taste which is a criminally underrated, odd tune but the "Am I really all the things that are outside of me" line is really catchy. And Lion in a Coma is possibly my favourite song on the album. That didgeridoo is just an awesome, weird little touch, and the verses are just soooo good. :heart :heart :heart Also, while this may seem innocuous, the line "I'm paler than a summer blouse that's packed inside a haunted house" just sounds so awesome to me. :lol It's almost catchy just speaking it. It doesn't make a ton of sense, but lots of AnCo is like that and I don't mind heh.

So yeah, if you like neo-psychedelic pop you should probably get to listening! You might find it annoying like many people, but maybe you'll be like me and fall in love with it.

Best tracks: In the Flowers, My Girls, Summertime Clothes, Bluish, Guys Eyes, Taste, Lion in a Coma, Brother Sport

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
Re: LieLowTheWantedMan's Top 50 albums v. jesus christ again bro come on (6)
« Reply #96 on: September 25, 2014, 02:14:52 AM »
I'm not really a fan of AC, but that artwork..

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #97 on: September 25, 2014, 02:21:34 AM »
That cover is brilliant. :eek

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #98 on: September 25, 2014, 06:57:23 AM »
MPP is an amazing album. It's also the happiest album ever.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #99 on: September 25, 2014, 09:53:20 AM »
It's an enjoyable listen, just nothing mind-blowing for me. Still love the cover art though. :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #100 on: September 28, 2014, 12:18:14 PM »
Honourable mention:

Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom (1974)

I actually just remembered this album exists not long ago. Back in my prog phase I used to love it. And it still holds up today. It's a solo album by former drummer of Soft Machine, Robert Wyatt. It really sticks out of the closely knit Canterbury Scene, as it's a lot less whimsical than most of it (albeit not without some whimsicality). The story behind the album is actually quite sad, as during the period the album was being prepared he fell out of a third storey window and was paralysed from the waist down. He continued to work on the album in the hospital in what he calls the beginning of his maturity. The album is emotional, very weird, and sounds like nothing else. Give it a shot maybe.

5. Death Grips - The Money Store (2012)

I'm sure many people have heard about this album to some degree. Death Grips have escalated to one of the most controversial figures in today's music. Well they've just recently broken up (without warning, mid-tour, when an album is supposed to be released soon, written on a napkin; exactly how you'd expect them to go out) but their presence is still very much felt. They have armies of adoring fans. Equally large armies of scathing critics. They've sampled artists like Jane's Addiction, Pink Floyd, FUCKING MAGMA!!!, and Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti in their songs. They got kicked off their record label for releasing an album early and for free. They made an album where the cover was the title written on the drummer's penis in black marker. They randomly cancelled shows later on. While some may call their attitude questionable and annoying, it only contributed to the enigma that was Death Grips. And many fans, like myself, were fully invested in the experience and it all just made things even sweeter.

So now about the music. Death Grips makes something you could probably call punk rap. Whenever you mention hip hop to me or even ask what my favourite hip hop album is, this album never comes to mind because it is such an outcast of the genre, but if you want to be technical it IS my favourite hip hop album. The one member of the group some would know beforehand is drummer Zach Hill, who is known for his work with math rock group Hella. There is also MC Ride, known to spit incredibly cryptic and weird lines, and shout his raps in incomprehensible rage. Flatlander is behind the production, and boy does he ever give them a unique flavour. This album is angry, and can pump you up like no other album out there. But at the same time, it's not without its catchiness. I've Seen Footage and Hacker are the most notable in that department. The Fever (Aye Aye) contains probably the loudest, most manic verses on the album but even that contains a really memorable chorus, a lot of thanks going to Flatlander's awesome synth melody (could be a sample, who knows with these guys). And, as a mentioned before, the lyrics are really cryptic but effective. Seriously, how much hip-hop gives you lyrics like:

"Lycanthropic manic cycles
Fire water burnin bibles
Wake up ragin, call a taxi
Take me to the nearest city
Cell light up yeah get at me
Make it quick though, blood, I'm busy, get busy, get busy, get busy
Drilled a hole into my head
Pierced the bone and
Felt the breeze
Lift my thoughts out
Dem sick bed
Wit a pair of crow
Skeleton wings
Know nothin’ since then
It seems
Been floatin’ through
The nexus threadin’ dreams
But did you know?"

Really odd stuff, but it works. But they also makes some of the most violent music I've heard, both in sound and sometimes in lyrics (Fuck That is about beating someone so hard that "Head wear your face like a yarmulka" :lol). It's music to smash up and set fire to your shitty apartment to. However, like I alluded to with the catchiness, under all this dissonance, fury, crazy whirlwind of drums, and weirdness is a pop album. Some may think that sounds crazy, but the songs are crafted simply and expertly, they lodge themselves in your head, and hell, there are even some you can dance to. Although you'd probably prefer to mosh. ;) It works on many levels. And many people will listen to this and probably be disgusted and think I'm crazy for ranking it this high and never listen to anything I say again. But that's fine. The fact they elicit such polarizing reaction means they're taking risks, and that's what they're all about.

Best tracks: All except maybe Fuck That but even that song is still pretty awesome so don't take that as a deterrent
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 12:36:22 PM by LieLowTheWantedMan »

• DTF.org Member
Re: LieLowTheWantedMan's Top 50 albums v. jesus christ again bro come on (5)
« Reply #101 on: September 28, 2014, 12:19:19 PM »
Also, any guesses for the top 4? ;)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #102 on: September 28, 2014, 12:20:05 PM »
It wouldn't rank as high for me, but The Money Store is amazing and Death Grips are awesome. Their experimental take on the genre is really refreshing in a time when a lot of it sounds similar.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #103 on: September 28, 2014, 02:23:54 PM »
Rock Bottom   :hefdaddy

One of my all time favorites. One of the very few albums I can genuinely call perfect. I can't think of many albums that sound like it or invoke the emotions is does.

I liked The Money Store, but it gets slightly tiring after a bit. Not all the songs sustain my interest, but it's solid.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #104 on: September 28, 2014, 03:17:36 PM »
Also, any guesses for the top 4? ;)

Loveless, Loveless, Loveless, and Loveless
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.