Author Topic: The stupidity of people blows my mind...  (Read 7592 times)

Offline Arry

• Only the good die young...
  • There is only one Um...
The stupidity of people blows my mind...
« on: August 13, 2014, 03:15:21 PM »
On long Island we had in some locations, 13.27" inches of rain in 12 hours... Parts of the highways are under 4 feet of water.  I'm watching on TV people driving through what amounts to a lake and getting stuck.  Fuckn idiots... I hope their insurance companies see them on the news and deny their claims for pure fuckn stupidity...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The stupidity of people blows my mind...
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 04:14:56 PM »
 :rollin

This thread has potential.

I was in a cafe once and I heard some woman with a really stereotypical Essex drawl ask for " One of doze latex coffees "

:lol Latex.

Offline Arry

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 04:29:28 PM »
I loves me some rubber in mah coffees...

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 04:32:04 PM »
I loves me some rubber in mah coffees...

To stir of course!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 04:39:35 PM »
Perfect timing.

I went to a hair salon today to get a haircut. I had personally never been there before, but my dad had been to this place several times and had been really impressed each time. So I go in and there's seemingly no one there. After a minute or two, a chick walks in from the back of the building and starts talking numbers to me and stuff. So I sit down and she starts to cut my hair with her scissors... and less than a minute in, she cuts her own finger instead of my hair!

Now note, I do feel awful that this happened to her and asked her several times if she was alright. From what I saw, it looked like she had only nicked it, but I was told that her finger was apparently only barely hanging onto her hand.

So anyways, she leaves me alone and goes back to where she entered from. Another customer comes in while she's away and my dad goes off to the bathroom. The lady comes back in and she's sobbing hysterically, telling me that there's only one other person working there at the moment and that she'd take care of things in a few minutes. So I go back to the waiting area and join the other guy. He asks me what happened and I said she apparently cut herself. He replied, "Wow, from the way she looked, I'd thought she'd just gotten a phone call that her family had just been murdered or something."

So my dad returns to the entry and asks what happened and I told him. So we sit around for a few more minutes, until the other lady walked out from the back of the building. This individual was clearly very, very sick. She was incredibly pale, had reddened eyes and had a hoarse voice that sounded just like "Tony" from Stanley Kubrick's movie adaptation of The Shining. She says, "I'll take care of your hair cut now."

Needless to say, my dad and I both immediately saw that this was a bad idea and decided to leave. However, said lady put up a bit of a fight in trying to keep us there and let her do my haircut. She failed, but it took a fair amount of talking out of to do so.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 04:53:58 PM »
Real questions that I have been asked:

"Are Vizio soundbars only compatible with Vizio TVs?"

"I need a printer. Preferably one that can connect to a laptop."

"Do y'all carry any of those HMDI cables?" (That's not a typo. He said HMDI)

"Do you sell wifis?"

And this is my favorite... It was a very old lady, so I can't fault her too much. She came in with some religious B-movie and said she stopped it immediately because it asked her to pay to continue. ???

We popped it in, and it was a splash screen saying that it was meant for home use, and to contact whatever ministry made it to pay for public viewing rights.

Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 04:59:30 PM »
The stupidest thing I have heard today was uttered by this guy (background: The "Someday Cafe" close to my place was closed because the owners forgot to renew their lease):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqBxCbI9bnI#t=220
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 06:51:45 PM »
On long Island we had in some locations, 13.27" inches of rain in 12 hours... Parts of the highways are under 4 feet of water.  I'm watching on TV people driving through what amounts to a lake and getting stuck.  Fuckn idiots... I hope their insurance companies see them on the news and deny their claims for pure fuckn stupidity...

I have seen this too over the last few years with floods in my state, makes me fucking laugh.  Then when they get stuck, they climb on the roof and then the car goes and they are left sitting in a lone tree while they wait for another poor human being to risk their own lives to save them.  What the fuck?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 08:35:21 PM »
These women make me so angry >:(

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 08:41:11 PM »
The stupidest thing I have heard today was uttered by this guy (background: The "Someday Cafe" close to my place was closed because the owners forgot to renew their lease):

People throw the word "government" in there to try to sound smart. :lol

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 09:47:36 PM »
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 12:25:07 AM »

I think I just lost IQ points.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2014, 08:20:21 AM »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2014, 08:34:40 AM »

I think I just lost IQ points.

:lol omfg I hate people like that. They just drop in the word government and that somehow validates everything they're saying.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2014, 11:28:27 AM »

That's assuming the number of people with low IQs match the number of people with high IQs. Well, if we're judging by a numerical value I guess.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2014, 11:29:55 AM »
That is true  :lol :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2014, 11:47:34 AM »
Where I work, I have to show my driver's license to enter the building for security. The company that runs the security for the building recently hired a lot of new people.  I had never seen this security guard before and she didnt know me either so I handed in my license and she looked at it for awhile (a standard NJ driver's license, nothing odd or different about it) and she shows me the card, points to my name (Marc), and asks "Is this your name?"  My mind was blown.

Offline Arry

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2014, 12:28:19 PM »
Some Forrest Gump wannabe's get on the elevator, and the 10-15 seconds they are riding it, forget their orientation to their own office or the front door and walk out as if the GPS in their head stopped working... I hate humans...

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2014, 12:34:52 PM »
That's assuming the number of people with low IQs match the number of people with high IQs. Well, if we're judging by a numerical value I guess.

The IQ curve is defined as a Gaussian probability distribution over the IQ values. Since the Gaussian (Normal) distribution has no skewness, the mean and mode coincide. Which in turn means that the probability mass below 100 is the same as the one above 100. By definition.

/geek

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2014, 12:38:46 PM »
There's a stupid driver law here in AZ.  If someone needs to be rescued after trying to drive their car through a flooded wash, insurance won't cover it.  They have to pay totally out of pocket for all associated costs directly related to saving their stupid asses.   :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2014, 12:44:38 PM »
There's a stupid driver law here in AZ.  If someone needs to be rescued after trying to drive their car through a flooded wash, insurance won't cover it.  They have to pay totally out of pocket for all associated costs directly related to saving their stupid asses.   :lol

CT had a snow storm a few years ago that shut the state down for a good five days. There was a driving ban on all roads for more than 48 hours. People would try to go out and drive and then needed to get rescued by the national guard because they were stuck in the middle of an abandoned 84.

Offline Arry

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2014, 01:04:42 PM »

Brilliant. Maybe that's why the insurance costs out west are so much cheaper. When I lived in NM, full coverage was half of what I pay here...

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2014, 01:46:28 PM »
I remember Chris Christie not exactly mincing words when talking about the morons who decided to stay at home when the hurricane went through, and who then had to be rescued.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2014, 04:35:48 PM »
I remember Chris Christie not exactly mincing words when talking about the morons who decided to stay at home when the hurricane went through, and who then had to be rescued.

Yea his comments were pretty blunt and rightfully so as he and the state had made it really clear to GTFO.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2014, 12:42:36 AM »

The IQ curve is defined as a Gaussian probability distribution over the IQ values. Since the Gaussian (Normal) distribution has no skewness, the mean and mode coincide. Which in turn means that the probability mass below 100 is the same as the one above 100. By definition.

/geek
You know... The people around me in my life say I'm smart. Just when I start to believe it, I go and read one of your posts. Dammit, Rumborak.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2014, 03:11:16 AM »
He just copied that from Wikipedia.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2014, 05:21:59 AM »
CAMELOT!!!!

(it's only a model..)   

SHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

:angel:
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2014, 08:29:10 AM »
He just copied that from Wikipedia.

:lol

The Gaussian stuff about skewness is actually work knowledge for me, whereas the IQ stuff I know because people always get so upset about it not being valid etc, so one day I looked it up.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2014, 08:40:51 AM »
I was at the doc the other day waiting to check out and schedule a follow up in 6 months. The conversation with the woman *whose job is to schedule follow ups* goes as such:

Me: I'm checking out and need to schedule a follow up with [doctor's name] in 6 months.

Her: Okay....let me just...*fiddles with the computer with a rather befuddled look on her face*....okay...Now you need a 6-month follow up appointment? Okay...with [doctor's name]. Alright, now, which doctor do you need to see?

Me: *second or two of slightly stunned silence* *recovery* [doctor's name]...in 6 months.

Her: Okay...*clicks the mouse a few times, looks even more befuddled*...when did he want to see you?

Me: *few more seconds of silence, staring* Six. Months.

Her: Okay...that would be in November.

Me: No it wouldn't. November is 3 months away. I need an appointment in 6 months. That would be February.

Her: Okay...*more befuddlement*. How is January 7th?

Me: That's not in February.

Her: Oh, SIX months....okay, how about February 10th?

At least she scheduled the right day.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2014, 11:09:07 AM »
So, is March OK?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2014, 01:55:14 AM »
Had this happen a month or so ago when my college buddy stayed over at my place and we went out in the morning to grab bagels:

Friend: "HI can I get a plain bagel toasted with butter?"
Bagelman: "OK, but you know the butter will melt?"
Friend: "Yes thats fine"
Bagelman: "But if it melts it could be messy"
Friend: "Yea thats fine"
Bagelman: "OK but if I put it in a bag then it can seep through"
Friend: "OK thats fine"
Bagelman: "Are you sure?  The butter will melt"
Friend: "Yes I like it that way"
Bagelman makes the bagel and starts to bag it: "Im going to have to put extra napkins in here so the other bagel doesnt get butter all over it"

Meanwhile, the bagel was perfectly fine with melted butter soaked into it by the time we got home and it did not make any mess.  The guy working at the bagel store I believe was the owner too so not some new guy or something, but he acted like no one ever ordered a toasted butter bagel before.  I think we joked about it for a few hours and we still text each other every once and awhile saying "You know the butter will melt?"

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2014, 02:11:25 AM »
See, that's the kind of stupidity that's hilarious, and I have no problem with the fact that people exhibit it sometimes. What really pisses me off (cross-thread stuff, yay me!) is when other people are stupid and the consequences impact you directly.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2014, 07:17:59 AM »
Drive a tractor trailer for a living and see how stupid people become when they drive  :tdwn

A few weeks ago I was driving back to my home base.  As I was coming up to an intersection with a green light, I noticed a car in my mirror beside me with its turn signal on.  Next thing I know, that car speeds up, pulls in front of me, hits the brakes, and makes a right turn at an intersection.  It was all I could do to not rear end the car; I was literally standing on the brakes and smoking the trailer tires.  I barely saw the car as it was in front of me.  Looking back I feel like the air I was moving pushed the car into the turn, but this kind of thing is not uncommon at all for a truck driver.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2014, 10:37:23 AM »
Drive a tractor trailer for a living and see how stupid people become when they drive  :tdwn

A few weeks ago I was driving back to my home base.  As I was coming up to an intersection with a green light, I noticed a car in my mirror beside me with its turn signal on.  Next thing I know, that car speeds up, pulls in front of me, hits the brakes, and makes a right turn at an intersection.  It was all I could do to not rear end the car; I was literally standing on the brakes and smoking the trailer tires.  I barely saw the car as it was in front of me.  Looking back I feel like the air I was moving pushed the car into the turn, but this kind of thing is not uncommon at all for a truck driver.

Wow, driving on the highway in a normal car is bad enough. People do not know how to pass safely, drift out of their lanes, refuse to use their signals, etc. Dealing with that is hard enough, though luckily I have yet to see stupidity of that magnitude.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2014, 11:03:19 AM »
Real questions that I have been asked:

"Are Vizio soundbars only compatible with Vizio TVs?"

"I need a printer. Preferably one that can connect to a laptop."

"Do y'all carry any of those HMDI cables?" (That's not a typo. He said HMDI)

"Do you sell wifis?"
Stop talking about my grandfather like that.

Seriously though, his age has resulted in technological illiteracy that ensures that without fault he will confuse WiFi with 3G/4G, he'll say HDMI, confuse USB with RS-232, etc.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"