Author Topic: Live at Budokan - Jordan's "equipment failure"?  (Read 1781 times)

Offline connolla

Live at Budokan - Jordan's "equipment failure"?
« on: September 02, 2014, 03:33:44 PM »
"According to the Commentary Track on their "When Dream And Day Reunite" Official Bootleg Live DVD during the first few minutes of the live concert Jordan Rudess had an equipment malfunction that played either the incorrect sound, no sound at all, or random notes 1/2-step upward in pitch. Nevertheless, Rudess mimed playing the correct parts as he realized they would have to be re-recorded in during Post-Production."

I haven't watched the Budokan DVD yet, but I've listened to the CD and I've always wondered if this is true. Any of you guys know for sure?

Offline Sycsa

Re: Live at Budokan - Jordan's "equipment failure"?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 04:13:07 PM »
It's true, MP also says it in the Budokan drum cam DVD commentary (as well as how bothered he was that he screwed up the order of the intro drum fills). Jordan's keyboard didn't work for the first minute and a half of As I Am, but they overdubbed it for the DVD. I doubt that anyone in the audience ever noticed it, there's hardly any keyboard there anyway.

The 1/2-step upward in pitch thing happened at an LTE show where Jordan ended up ditching the keys and finishing the show playing guitar while JP picked up a bass.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 05:31:41 PM by Sycsa »

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 05:19:41 PM »
I believe what happened was he got a new keyboard tech who didn't load his patches correctly.  He noticed right as the show was beginning and had to load them all himself which takes quite a while. 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 11:08:45 PM »
It's true, MP also says it in the Budokan drum cam DVD commentary (as well as how bothered he was that he screwed up the order of the intro drum fills). Jordan's keyboard didn't work for the first minute and a half of As I Am, but they overdubbed it for the DVD. I doubt that anyone in the audience ever noticed it, there's hardly any keyboard there anyway.

Luckily the keys aren't prominent in that song until the bridge section with the big synthy strings.
It's the mark of a true pro that he carried on knowing they were filming the show, and you can't even tell on the final DVD (that I've ever noticed, at least).
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 02:17:30 AM »
It's the mark of a true pro that he carried on knowing they were filming the show, and you can't even tell on the final DVD (that I've ever noticed, at least).
Same with JP when his rig cut out in the middle of UAGM on Score (before the first chorus for about a minute), although there are some clues left on the DVD which give it away, like JP fiddling with his pedals, walking back to check his amp and I also attribute his relieved smile at Mike at the end of the solo to the incident.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 02:54:36 AM »
Same with JP when his rig cut out in the middle of UAGM on Score (before the first chorus for about a minute), although there are some clues left on the DVD which give it away, like JP fiddling with his pedals, walking back to check his amp and I also attribute his relieved smile at Mike at the end of the solo to the incident.
Not to mention James looking over to John right after his guitar breaks, being like ''What happened?''

I had no idea about the problem Jordan had, but it explains his facial expression the first time the camera cuts to him at the beginning of As I am.  :lol