Author Topic: Recommended Bands For Dream Theater Fans  (Read 11058 times)

Offline Sebiriver

Recommended Bands For Dream Theater Fans
« on: August 12, 2014, 09:49:25 PM »
So I am in the mood of hearing music this days. I already know the most popular ones similar to Dream Theater in terms of genre & music: Symphony X, Circus Maximus, Haken. If you know any other band like Dream Theater please let me know it and maybe put the best song for someone new to hear from the band you share. Thanks! :tup

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: Recommended Bands For Dream Theater Fans
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 09:51:43 PM »
Seventh Wonder.

Check out The Great Escape if you're in the mood for a 30-minute epic.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 09:57:14 PM »
Just go to General Music Discussion and look around. I guarantee you'll find something you love in 10 minutes or less. Just make sure your wallet is full...

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 10:30:52 PM »
If you can find it, there's an Italian band called Empty Tremor that's VERY inspired by DT. In particular early, more melodic super proggy side of DT.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 10:41:54 PM »
I found that most bands that are too much like DT were third rate knockoffs that didn't have the songwriting talent that Dream Theater has always had.

I'd go for bands that clearly influenced Dream Theater: Rush, Iron Maiden, Yes, Pink Floyd, etc.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 10:44:35 PM »
I found that most bands that are too much like DT were third rate knockoffs that didn't have the songwriting talent that Dream Theater has always had.

I'd go for bands that clearly influenced Dream Theater: Rush, Iron Maiden, Yes, Pink Floyd, etc.

Well, Empty Tremor is certainly not AS good as DT, but they still have great musicianship and memorable melodies.

Frankly, while Rush, Maiden etc. may not be third rate anything, it's not like I'd expect to find something I like better than DT with them either.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 10:49:50 PM »

This. Bands like Circus Maximus and Bad Salad have some good songs here and there, but are overall very unoriginal and very bland. DT has a ton of influences though, and they're very easy to find. You'll probably get the most enjoyment out of those.

Fates Warning is a bit more modern compared to the "classics", but they have a prog metal sound similar to early DT and are probably the closest you can get to DT without sounding unoriginal.

Also, if you haven't heard them already: OSI is a DT spinoff starring Kevin Moore (with MP on a couple albums too) and while it doesn't sound much like DT, it has very enjoyable riffs and great keyboard playing from Moore.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline 425

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 11:20:19 PM »
Just go to General Music Discussion and look around. I guarantee you'll find something you love in 10 minutes or less. Just make sure your wallet is full...

I agree with this and with what KevShmev said.

I would also add that I would not consider it to be the best idea to look for bands that sound like DT, but instead to search for bands that you like as bands. Realistically, while you may enjoy DT-esque bands to a certain degree, in the long run, you'll probably just end up wanting to hear the real thing whenever you feel like listening to that sort of music. If you're anything like me, eventually you'll tire of hearing one style of music, no matter how much you might like it. Whenever you actually are in the mood for that style, you will, again, come back to the band that does it best and ignore the ones that don't. Which is why I think it's best to look for bands that you enjoy, regardless of the style. And if you want more of a particular aspect of DT, you can do what Kev said and look for a band that influenced them (like Yes if you want to hear more prog or Iron Maiden if you want to hear more metal), and at the same time discover bands that have different and interesting aspects to their sounds.

Honestly, if you just go into the General Music Discussion forum and take a look around at some of the bands people are discussing, you're sure to find something that you like. For example, two of the most commonly discussed bands over there are Anathema and Porcupine Tree. Though both of those groups fall under the general umbrella of "progressive rock," neither of them really sounds anything like DT at all. But they're fantastic bands that a lot of DT fans really love. And they're bands that I found that I really came to love, even though they sound nothing like the band through which I found them. But here's the thing: these two will stick with me longer than any DT copycat could, because they stand out to me as distinct groups that I love for different reasons than I love DT. At the end of the day, if I want to listen to DT, I'll put on DT, not a similar-sounding group, and if I want to listen to Porcupine Tree, I'll put on Porcupine Tree.

I've found that the people on this forum have excellent and surprisingly diverse taste in music beyond DT. If you're looking for good music, seriously, look no further than the GMD section of this forum and just try some of the bands that seem to be popular and seem to be something you'd like from their descriptions.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 11:55:16 PM »
As far as bands that had an obvious influence on Dream Theater's sound, I would definitely recommend Deep Purple, Queen, Yes, Pink Floyd, Rush, Rainbow, Iron Maiden, and Metallica.

As far as other 80's metal bands who, like Dream Theater, helped lay the foundation for progressive metal as a sub-genre in it's own right, you should check out Queensryche, Fates Warning, Crimson Glory, Watchtower and Savatage (for more recent materiel by Savatage members, check out Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Jon Oliva's Pain and Circle II Circle)

As far as bands that have come after that were influenced by DT, Symphony X is far and away the best, IMO.  Most of the others, like Circus Maximus, while good, do have that sort of "clone" sound to them.  So for more recent prog-metal bands, I would suggest going for bands that share much of the same influences as Dream Theater, rather then being directly influenced by DT themselves.  Balance Of Power, Kamelot and Ayreon (and the various other projects of Arjen Anthony Lucassen) would be good places to start.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 12:00:27 AM by The Dark Master »

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 12:19:00 AM »
Most of us here have some fondness for an artist name Devin Townsend, though what album you should start with varies with what you really like, because of how diverse his output is.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 12:23:16 AM »
Don't listen to Mosh. Circus Maximus are awesome, and don't belong lumped with Bad Salad.

Offline Stef1

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 02:43:35 AM »
If you can find a copy try Dali's Dilemma, Manifesto for Futurism, similar to early DT but not a clone and features Matt Guillory  who became JLB's co writer on most of his solo albums and part of his touring band.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2014, 03:28:47 AM »
Try Amorphis and Pain of Salvation. Not similar to DT but very cool melodic prog metal.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2014, 05:17:41 AM »

This. Why bother with DT clones when you can listen to the real thing?

I second the Fates Warning recommendations - their music isn't nearly as technical, but Perfect Symmetry is a pretty complex album, and A Pleasant Shade of Gray and Disconnected feature Kevin Moore on keyboards.

Offline mirko_metal_88

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2014, 06:37:36 AM »
Try DGM, veeeery DT in their last record (Momentum)

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2014, 07:38:12 AM »
If you do not mind death growls and other types of harsh vocals, I recommend Between the Buried and Me and Opeth. BTBAM is the most similar to DT, in that they are very technical. However, they still sound very different from DT due to their varied influences and styles. I would recommend starting with either Colors or The Great Misdirect. Opeth is known for going between extremes; they juxtapose heavy passages with beautiful acoustic ones. As for albums, start with Blackwater Park or Ghost Reveries. Both generally write long songs with atypical structures, and have more than enough progressive elements to keep me interested.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Knguro

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2014, 07:47:08 AM »
I hate Symphony X, I even hate their freaking name.

Keep listening Haken, they're awesome
Between the Buried and Me awesome
Protest the Hero (Not even close to DT style) awesome, specially the track Sequoia Throne.
Stork (first album)
And for the love of God, listen to Opeth.

The only band that is actually close to DT style is Haken, but all of the rest are prog bands as well.  :metal
...Here before me is my soul, I'm learning to live...
And your English is just fine. :tup

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2014, 08:53:23 AM »
Why do you hate Symphony X?

Oh god, your list. Nevermind.

Offline Knguro

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2014, 08:57:32 AM »

I knew it!  :biggrin:

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2014, 09:03:42 AM »
I don't much like any other prog metal besides DT, bands like Tool, Opeth or Haken, while are fun to listen to, don't really do it for me. Riverside would be the exception, their brilliant vocals and classic prog instumentation (great Hammond & analog synth sounds, just listen to Anno Domini High Definition) coupled with a heavy sound offers something that nothing else does. I rather gravitate towards heavily technical music, fusion (Niacin, Planet X, Virgil Donati, some of Paul Gilbert's solo stuff, like Vibrato) and classic prog (if you're fascinated by diverse instrumentation and insane virtuosity, try Gentle Giant, nobody ever came close to what they accomplished).

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2014, 09:18:29 AM »

My hatred for Protest the Hero is no secret around here. Let's not go there though. I've gotten threads locked.

Offline Knguro

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2014, 09:23:43 AM »

My hatred for Protest the Hero is no secret around here. Let's not go there though. I've gotten threads locked.

I know Protest the Hero is usually a kick on the nuts for a lot DT fans, is just that I respect those guys. Anyways, what about Opeth, Stork and Haken?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2014, 09:34:41 AM »

I know Protest the Hero is usually a kick on the nuts for a lot DT fans, is just that I respect those guys. Anyways, what about Opeth, Stork and Haken?

Opeth is boring to me, if Stork is the one with the female singer, eh, didn't do much for me either, and Haken have Celestial Elixir. It's all I need.

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2014, 09:38:11 AM »
I recommend Pagans Mind. Start with "God's Equation".

Offline Knguro

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2014, 09:39:56 AM »

Opeth is boring to me, if Stork is the one with the female singer, eh, didn't do much for me either, and Haken have Celestial Elixir. It's all I need.

You need to hear Stork's first album, instrumental.
OPETH WHAAAT?
Haken - Visions  :hefdaddy

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2014, 09:44:19 AM »
Many people into DT music find any other progressive metal disappointing because most of the greatest bands of the genre don't sound like DT and aren't only prog metal (take Opeth or Devin Townsend, for example).

My advice:

I would also add that I would not consider it to be the best idea to look for bands that sound like DT, but instead to search for bands that you like as bands. Realistically, while you may enjoy DT-esque bands to a certain degree, in the long run, you'll probably just end up wanting to hear the real thing whenever you feel like listening to that sort of music.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Knguro

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2014, 09:57:18 AM »
Many people into DT music find any other progressive metal disappointing because most of the greatest bands of the genre don't sound like DT and aren't only prog metal (take Opeth or Devin Townsend, for example).

My advice:

I would also add that I would not consider it to be the best idea to look for bands that sound like DT, but instead to search for bands that you like as bands. Realistically, while you may enjoy DT-esque bands to a certain degree, in the long run, you'll probably just end up wanting to hear the real thing whenever you feel like listening to that sort of music.

For me Opeth is more than a Prog Metal band, they really are on a different level to me, I even remember that at some point I listened more Opeth music than DT, been DT my favorite band of all time! But i have learned that there is some stuff that both bands can give to you that the other band doesnt have, example, I found Opeth more melodic and dynamic than DT, and with a high advantage on lyrics than DT, BUT, lacks on DT virtuosity and epicness. But for me both bands are just amazing.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2014, 10:18:01 AM »
Still, if you want progressive metal that don't go that far into other genres, i will point you some great albums:

Pain of Salvation - Remedy Lane or The Perfect Element Part 1
Green Carnation - Light of Day, Day of Darkness
Ayreon - Electric Castle or The Human Equation
Sieges Even - The Art of Navigating by the Stars
Ark - Burn the Sun
Evergrey - In Search of Truth
Threshold - Hypothetical
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2014, 10:23:57 AM »

This, especially that last part. That place has cost me a small fortune.

Another thing I did to find new bands was to go to bandcamp and search bands using Dream Theater as a tag. It takes a little sorting out, but I've found some real gems there....

https://bandcamp.com/tag/dream-theater

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2014, 11:08:02 AM »
Another thing I did to find new bands was to go to bandcamp and search bands using Dream Theater as a tag. It takes a little sorting out, but I've found some real gems there....

https://bandcamp.com/tag/dream-theater

Hey that's pretty good. And there is Thoughts Factory in the top row. Easily my album of the year so far.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2014, 12:40:55 PM »
That's how I found them. Just keep looking, and say bye bye to your cash  :biggrin:

Offline tuto

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2014, 12:44:13 PM »
Seventh Wonder.

Check out The Great Escape if you're in the mood for a 30-minute epic.

Oh yes, definitely. And also Mercy Falls, the whole album is pure greatness. Break The Silence being a favorite of mine

Offline tiagodon

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2014, 02:01:25 PM »
Virgil Donati and Opeth.

Offline BFRedrocks

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2014, 04:03:53 PM »
Check out Andromeda.  Their album Extension of the Wish feels VERY DT-inspired/influenced.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2014, 04:36:13 PM »
Fates warning, Pain of salvation, porcupine tree, threshold, vanden plas, fates warning, rush, mindflow