Author Topic: [Music] Riverside - Anno Domini High Definition  (Read 3342 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
[Music] Riverside - Anno Domini High Definition
« on: August 12, 2009, 10:30:35 PM »
Reviewed By: Nicholas R. Andreas
Artist: Riverside
Album: Anno Domini High Definition
Genre: Progressive Metal
Year of Release: 2009
On Amazon:
Regular Edition - https://www.amazon.com/Anno-Domini-High-Definition-Riverside/dp/B0026ZNL80/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1250120106&sr=8-2
Special Edition - https://www.amazon.com/Anno-Domini-High-Definition-Riverside/dp/B0026ZNL7Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1250120106&sr=8-1

Coming off of their successful Reality Dream trilogy, Riverside are a band who had a lot of new found freedom to work with. Three albums tied together lyrically and similar musically it certainly was interesting to see whether or not they would stay in a comfort zone or use the completion of the trilogy as the perfect reason to explore new ground.

Successfully, Riverside chose the latter. Clocking in at just over forty-four minutes, Anno Domini High Definition is an album that paves new ground for the polish progressive metal quartet, while still in a sense remaining distinctly Riverside, partially thanks to the occasion dark and haunting melody that will creep up through the songs and send a chill down your spine. For the most part, Anno Domini is a more rocking album, with Michal Lapaj using many new, brighter keyboard tones and patterns as opposed to the almost constant thick atmospheric background that Riverside fans have become accustomed to. In addition the vocals of Mariusz Duda seem to meander into uncharted territory.

The track “Egoist Hedonist” probably best exhibits the new style which Riverside has pursued. The beginning of the track is a sort of simple groovy feeling that ends by breaking into a strong riff from guitarist Piotr Grudzinski followed by a strong keyboard lead, all of which follow a beat you can really get into. Later in the track the band perfectly executes a sort of natural fade out near the end of the chorus where all the is left is a simple, almost techno like backing which erupts as the song continues and soon after you actually hear an assortment of pleasant brass instruments! Certainly the last thing I expected to hear on a Riverside album.

Although I can’t say that Anno Domini High Definition tops the bands prior masterpiece, Second Life Syndrome, I can say that it is better than the bands other two albums, which is a massive accomplishment considering the experimentation done. After going from three albums all connected by a single concept, to a single album held together by the theme of technology, it will be interesting to see whether or not the band decides that the next album should be a series of totally unrelated songs. I really don’t care as long as the music is this damn good, but either way I guess we’ll just have to wait and find out.

Composition: 10/10
Sound: 9/10
Musicianship: 9/10
Final Presentation: 9/10
Overall: 9.25/10

The special edition of this album contains a bonus DVD which has a concert filmed in Amsterdam in December of 2008. It is seven songs and a great introduction to their back catalog. Definitely pick up the special edition of this if you’re a new fan.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Elsydeon

Re: [Music] Riverside - Anno Domini High Definition
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 12:25:18 AM »
After reading your review, I decided to give this a listen. I only other stuff I've heard from them was Rapid Eye something (cant remember the full name of the album...rapid eye movement?), but I remember it being quite good. I'm 3 tracks into Anno Domini and I'm really liking what I'm hearing. Good review, thanks for the info Nick  :tup

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 02:42:44 PM »
After reading your review, I decided to give this a listen. I only other stuff I've heard from them was Rapid Eye something (cant remember the full name of the album...rapid eye movement?), but I remember it being quite good. I'm 3 tracks into Anno Domini and I'm really liking what I'm hearing. Good review, thanks for the info Nick  :tup
Definitely check out Second Life Syndrome. Amazing, amazing album.
Anyways, I'll put this on my list of albums that I need to get... that list is getting so damn huge now though x_x

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 07:02:46 PM »
I definitely like this one better than Second Life Syndrome! Great review!