Author Topic: Tyrias' Roulette v. THE FINAL RESULTS  (Read 15575 times)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: Tyrias' Roulette v. Round 5 RESULTS
« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2014, 10:38:30 AM »
i have no idea what i sent

Although in fairness, I generally forget approximately three minutes after I send. :lol

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2014, 11:36:07 AM »
Yeah, I don't remember either.

EDIT: Like 3 seconds after I posted this I was like OH! THAT'S WHAT I POSTED!

:hat Be prepared...
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2014, 01:00:28 PM »
I'll post the results shortly
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Tyrias

Re: Tyrias' Roulette v. Round 6 RESULTS
« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2014, 01:16:09 PM »
Rejoice, after a long wait results are here! I'm sorry it took so long, but in my defense, I had about twice as much music to listen to as in previous rounds because there was exactly one song under 10 minutes :lol.

So, here come the result
Shadow Ninja 2.0: Caladan Brood - Wild Autumn Wind
Apparently even the genre tag of this song has "Epic" in it, so I guess it was a perfect send for this round ::) . This is some kind of Atmospheric Black Metal with Folk influences (at least it sounded kinda folky at times). In a way this reminds me off Agalloch's Ashes Against The Grain, just slower music, worse production and a bit less diversity; replace that with some orchestral epicness and you've pretty much got the sound of this song down. It falls a bit short of AAtG's greatness, but nevertheless it is a pretty epic and likeable tune.
4/6 points

Lucien: Tchaikovsky - Swan Lake, Act 4 - No.29 Scène Finale

This video feels like it starts one and a half minutes early, that part until 1:20 totally sounds like the ending of a previous movement ::). It's still awesome, but feels kinda tacked on. I can totally see why you sent this, it's about as epic as you can get with classical music, and it pulls of the epicness splendidly. Lots of huge melodies, with some calmer interludes that make for awesome dynamics and keep you attention throughout the whole piece.  :tup
5/6 points

lonestar: The Omega Experiment - Stimulus
Listening to this in a playlist right after Tchaikovsky sure feels weird :lol. Apart from that; I'm not sure what to think of this track. There are awesome parts all over the song, but it feels like a chaotic mess. No part really has time to shine and drowns in all the stuff that is going on. As someone who's not that fond of chaos in music that unfortunately means that this song fell kinda flat for me...
2,5/6 points

Sacul: Nils Frahm - Toilet Brushes - More (Live in London)

This was fantastic! This whole song feels more like an improvisation than a composed song, and it's really repetitive, but somehow it works splendidly. Despite its 15 minutes running time I never once lost interest in this song and it kept me thoroughly entertained all the time. Also, the improvisation with Olafur Arnalds in the related videos is absolutely beautiful.
5,5/6 points

senecadawg2: Ludovico Einaudi - Oltremare
This was a surprisingly relaxing song/solo piano piece. Also, I didn't quite get a "Sea of progressive rock and metal", unless you consider 2 out of 7 songs a lot ;D . Anyway, I really liked this, but I have one qualm: If I really try to focus on the piece it's just a tad to long and if I listen to it as background music it takes too much attention away from what I'm doing. I imagine this could be great as background music while daydreaming, but I've been to busy lately to daydream ::) .
4,5/6 points

Tom Bombadil: Redemption - Love Kill Us All / Life in One Day

This was a pretty standard prog metal song, but then I wouldn't be on this forum if I didn't like Prog and Metal. I like the calm intro (despite that cheesy keyboard sound), but the song really kicks of when it gets loud and epic. Some really cool riffs, great solos that are more than just shredding, and I also like the singer's voice quite a lot. Good one :tup
5/6 points

adace: Saor - Pillars of the Earth

This was really similar to the song Shadow Ninja sent. The Folk influences were turned up a notch, but in terms of overall sound and atmosphere it was just a bit more trashy and faster. The production sucks (especially the guitars), but I really like the music. The acoustic interludes provide a nice and needed break from all the blast beatsm screaming and fast guitars. Cool song!
4,5/6 points

Standings:
senecadawg2          30
Lucien                      27,5
adace                      26,5
Tom Bombadil          26,5
Shadow Ninja 2.0   25,5
Sacul                       25,5
lonestar                  24,5

Round 7 Theme: In response to the epic last round, send m something that is calm, subtle, relaxing, .... And most definetely not epic :o (Can be a ballad, something ambient or anything else really but try to keep loud parts to a minimum.

Also, so you can all prepare: Round 8 is going to be the last one and it's going to be an open round. You've had 7 rounds to figure out my tastes in music now, send me something I will absoultely love ;). Also, since this is the final, I'm going to be scoring out of 10 points instead of 6. Feel free to send now if you want to, but you can also wait until results are up for round 7.

Also, I'm not really sure how seneca was planning to post results, but I'm really curious to find out  ;D

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2014, 01:43:36 PM »
I understand, and agree with, your points on Oltremare. I'm glad you enjoyed it enough for a 4.5 though, I'll take it!

I also agree about Saor. I want to love it, but the production makes me want to cry.

I'll send ya something soft soon!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2014, 01:47:55 PM »
sent

Offline adace

« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2014, 02:15:37 PM »
Sent.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #77 on: September 05, 2014, 02:18:37 PM »
Crap.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #78 on: September 05, 2014, 02:51:52 PM »
Crap.
Sorry  :-\  On the bright side, you did send one of my favourite songs in this roulette earlier ;D

Offline Lucien

« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2014, 03:07:18 PM »
I know what I'm sending for the final round  :P

However, this round may take some thought.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #80 on: September 05, 2014, 03:19:55 PM »
Nils Frahm is a beast whe he plays live, glad you liked it! Will send next one later.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #81 on: September 06, 2014, 09:44:34 AM »
Last two rounds sent yo.....

Offline Lucien

« Reply #82 on: September 06, 2014, 10:33:25 PM »
Sent.

:lucien:

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #83 on: September 06, 2014, 11:11:26 PM »
 :lol

Best thing about last place is that there's no "urge to win" pressure...

Offline Lucien

« Reply #84 on: September 06, 2014, 11:35:41 PM »
I have a great feeling about the final round. I just hope I don't get like a 3 this round  :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: September 07, 2014, 12:07:44 AM »
Don't you mind if I send you an artist again? You have covered almost all my choices for this round :biggrin:

Edit: Don't mind, I found some crap to sent ya.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 12:26:20 AM by Sacul »

Offline Lucien

« Reply #86 on: September 07, 2014, 11:33:59 AM »
It still completely baffles me that I got a higher score with one of my own pieces than with the Swan Lake Finale.

Seriously, that's the biggest compliment I've ever received to my music, ever. That finale is one of my favorite pieces.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #87 on: September 09, 2014, 05:57:37 PM »
So, how's it coming?

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #88 on: September 10, 2014, 12:33:35 AM »
I've listened to everything but I'll need another listen or two to decide on scoring. Tomorrow evening seema realistic

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #89 on: September 11, 2014, 01:31:02 PM »
Almost done

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #90 on: September 11, 2014, 02:45:59 PM »
Almost done
WTF? :lol Please elaborate ::)

But I guess you were correct, just two hours early.

Shadow Ninja 2.0: The Album Leaf - Window
The very first chord totally reminds me of Sigur Ròs' Vardeldur, but the chord progression is slightly different. But in terms of overall feeling and sounds used those two songs are really similar. I liked it though, something nice and relaxing to put on before going to sleep. (Not recommended as a morning alarm, as it'd put me back to sleep straight away ;) )
4/6 points

adace: Lever du jour - Daybreak - Daphnis et Chloe by Ravel
This is the first of several classical pieces I got this round. Absolutely beautiful piece and daybreak seems like a perfect title. THe whole feeling of the song is like waking up to a wonderful, sunny day you're looking forward to and just loving it.
5/6 points

senecadawg2: Paradise - Sarah Fimm 

Really nice, subtle pop song. She has a really soothing voice, the piano fits perfectly and the beats give it a bit necessary rhythm without ever calling attention to them. Great send!
4,5/6 points

lonestar: Yes - Turn Of The Century
I actually have 4 Yes albums at home, but I never really got around to listening anything besides Close To The Edge, so they didn't make the banned list. List is a pretty hit or miss band for me. When I'm in the right mood I really like their music, at other times I ask myself how anyone could ever seriousl listen to this and actually like it? Anyway, I quite liked this song, definetely a lot more than the epic song you sent me last round ;). Calm guitars, piano and some other instruments I can't quite out my finger on. Not a big fan of his voice, but the music makes up for it.
4/6 points

Lucien: Okami OST - Cave of Nagi (イザナギ窟)
I think this is a soundtrack for a film or a game, and I imagine it works fantastic in that context. Just as a piece of music it's just good, it creates an interesting atmosphere but despite it's short length far overstays it's welcome.
3/6 points

Sacul: Air - Johann Sebastian Bach

This is even more beautiful than the last classical piece I got from adace. It somehow manages to feel both sad and happy at the same time. Kinda reminds me of a walk through a beautiful emperial garden with a prince/princess at your side. I'm not sure any of this made sense, but this was amazing  :tup.
5,5/6 points

Tom Bombadil: Tenhi - Lauluni Sinulle
Um.. so this was supposed to be weird? I didn't quite find the weirdness, but it was awesome nevertheless. Kicks of with some really mellow and beautiful acoustic guitars, than drums kick in and everything gets a bit louder but still subdued. The vocals surprised me a bit, but they fit perfectly with the music and I'm all for pleasent surprises. I'm kinda torn between 5 and 6 points right now, so I'll just give you...
5,5/6 points.

Standings:
senecadawg2          34,5
Tom Bombadil          32
adace                      31,5
Sacul                       31
Lucien                      30,5
Shadow Ninja 2.0   29,5
lonestar                  28,5

While seneca has the lead by more than 2 points, from second to fifth rank it gets really close. And with a good song seneca can still be beaten ;). Remember the next round is rated out of 10 points, so it's easier to gain ground!

It still completely baffles me that I got a higher score with one of my own pieces than with the Swan Lake Finale.

Seriously, that's the biggest compliment I've ever received to my music, ever. That finale is one of my favorite pieces.
Well, you're welcome. ;)

I have a great feeling about the final round. I just hope I don't get like a 3 this round  :lol
Also, sorry about that. I swear I didn't remember you posting that when I scored your song :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #91 on: September 11, 2014, 02:50:06 PM »

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #92 on: September 11, 2014, 02:56:12 PM »
Almost done

he is also scoring the songs
wait, really? :lol I'd like to see how the results match up...

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #93 on: September 11, 2014, 03:00:30 PM »
Nah, :lol  I think he meant that the "tomorrow evening" you mentioned was almost over.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #94 on: September 11, 2014, 03:03:33 PM »
Also I didn't bother reposting the theme for Round 8, but half of you have already sent and I hope it was not that hard to remember for the other half :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: September 11, 2014, 04:14:31 PM »
Great! I was afraid you already knew the song :P. Bach was a freaking genius.

PS: Could you PM me the song I sent you for last round? I don't remember which was it :lol .

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #96 on: September 11, 2014, 06:07:54 PM »
Glad you really liked the song! The weirdness for me is just the vocals being in Finnish.

Will send tonight.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #97 on: September 11, 2014, 06:21:37 PM »
 :lol

I was thinking about sending a certain piece of music but I'm frightened it won't score well at all.

This again will take some thought.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #98 on: September 15, 2014, 08:06:56 AM »
Still need a submission from adace...

Offline adace

« Reply #99 on: September 15, 2014, 12:21:20 PM »
Whoops, didn't realize I hadn't sent.

Sent.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #100 on: September 18, 2014, 12:42:25 PM »
Just about a week now. Any news?

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #101 on: September 18, 2014, 02:15:02 PM »
I'm sorry this round is taking so long, but since adace sent I've been out from 7a.m. till 9p.m. daily. I have saturday free, so you can expect results then. What I can say is that I got lots of great music this round, as I expected from the final  ;) :tup

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #102 on: September 20, 2014, 02:03:56 PM »
So here we hace them, the long-awaited results for the final round! Just a quick reminder, I'll rate every song out of 10 now. Also I've decided that rating out of 10 is kind of pointless if a previous 2 equals a 6 now, so I give you a slightly revised rating system:
0 points - I never want to hear this song again.
1,5 points - I won’t mind this song if it’s in the background, but don’t really want to listen to it otherwise.
3 points- okay
5 points- liked it
7 points- really liked it
8,5 points- awesome song
10 points- perfect in every way possible

Shadow Ninja 2.0: Sonic Syndicate - Enclave
This was really cool, I loved the vocalists voice (despite being rather poppy in a rock way  ::) ) and the vocal melodies, especially the chorus. Not a big fan of the guitar tone though, sounds too much like noise for me, but the piano and drum sound even that out a bit. The piano in the background really added a lot to this song, pushing it up at least 2 points.
7,5/10

lonestar:  InnerShine with Always Late
This was a fantastic song. Despite it's 12 minute length it managed to keep me interested all the time. Really cool riffs all over the song and some stellar keyboard parts. The vocals are the weak point here, as they're "just" good. I will listen to this again, probably ;).
8/10

senecadawg2: David Gray - "Please Forgive Me"

I can definetely understand why this is your favourite artist! There's a nice contrast between the electronic and the acoustic parts, and they seem to blend together effortlessly at the same time. I especially like the guitars between the 2 and 4 minute mark, and the last 50 seconds or so. His voice has a very nice tone and lots of charisma, and I don't really mind that the melodies are pretty simple.
9/10

Sacul: Destiny Potato - Love Song
Fantastic song, really cool riffs and the female vocals fit really well with the heavy-ass guitars and drums. The quiet breakdown in the middle is fantastic as well. There's really not anything I can critizise about this song, except that it doesn't really sound like a love song :lol . Also, awesome band name :tup.
9/10

adace: If These Trees Could Talk - They Speak With Knives
This was a fantastic post rock song, with some great and slightly unsettling calmer sections and loud climaxes all over the place. Reminds me of Russian Circles a bit, but in a good way.
9/10

Tom Bombadil: Genesis- Can Utility and the Coastliners

I have never heard ths song before, despite your doubts ;). Of course I lnew Genesis existed but besides their hits I had never listened to them. This song is pretty good. It's really beautiful, but feels a bit too nice for the first minute and an half. It gets a lot better after that and really picks up! :tup
7,5/10

Lucien: The Enid-Tripping The Light Fantastic(1994)
Half an extra point for sending a song from the year I was born! The song itself was unlike anything I've ever heard before. Sure, it's obviously prog but it feels completely different than your average prog song, despite being similar in every other aspect. Well, except for the classical influences I guess :lol. This did everything it set out to do, and splendidly at that.
9/10

That makes the final results as follows:
senecadawg2          43,5
adace                      40,5
Sacul                       40
Tom Bombadil          39,5
Lucien                     39,5
Shadow Ninja 2.0   37
lonestar                  36,5

senecadawg2 wins my roulette 3 points ahead of adace, followed by Sacul! Congratulations!
I want to thank everyone who played, all of you introduced me to some great music and I will spend a lot of time checking out all the awesome artists I learned about during this Roulette! :biggrin:
I want to apologise again for the slow pace of this last round, but I think I kept the pace pretty reasonable apart from that. (I think I'm at exavtly one week per round). Thanks to you for sending (mostly  ::)) quick and not making all the poor people in the waiting list wait longer than necessary.
I'm done here, let the next roulette start!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Tyrias' Roulette v. THE FINAL RESULTS
« Reply #103 on: September 20, 2014, 03:04:59 PM »
Seneca... you are on a roll dude.  Another victory.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline senecadawg2

Re: Tyrias' Roulette v. THE FINAL RESULTS
« Reply #104 on: September 20, 2014, 03:57:23 PM »
Almost done

How else can you explain the results   :D

I'm glad you enjoyed the song, I had a lot of fun playing in your roulette! I've never used so little metal in a roulette before and I'm glad to see it worked.

Seneca... you are on a roll dude.  Another victory.

Aw shucks... You taught me how.  :blush