Author Topic: UFOs - Your thoughts  (Read 8449 times)

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
Re: UFO's - Your thoughts
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2014, 03:33:09 PM »
Throughout the entire recorded history of humanity on Earth, there has been not one single tangible piece of evidence to prove the existence of intelligent life anywhere other than right here on Earth.  Until or unless such evidence is presented, as far as I'm concerned, there's nothing to see here, these aren't the droids you're looking for, etc.
I saw a flying saucer hovering over a field in back of my house. Sitting there spinning, plain as day. What was in it? I couldn't say, but to see what I saw in 1978 was pretty intense and the technology of the craft hovering there is hard to imagine being possible in the 70's, but what do I know. I only know what I saw and it was the stereotypical saucer that Chino posted to poke fun.
Except he's talking about aliens, not saucers. Do I believe in man-made saucers? Yup. I'm pretty sure the military flew various prototypes around the 60 and 70s but found them to be impractical.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2014, 03:37:38 PM »
Throughout the entire recorded history of humanity on Earth, there has been not one single tangible piece of evidence to prove the existence of intelligent life anywhere other than right here on Earth.  Until or unless such evidence is presented, as far as I'm concerned, there's nothing to see here, these aren't the droids you're looking for, etc.

This strange suited figure was found in Kiev and approximately dated to 4,000 BC. 

6000 BC from Tassili, Sahara Desert, North Africa.

Egyptian tombs.

This 7000 year old petroglyph was discovered in the province of Querato, Mexico in 1966. Depicts four beings with their arms outstretched below a large oval object radiating what appear to be beams of light.

Painted in the 15th century by Domenico Ghirlandaio (1449-1494) and hangs as part of the Loeser collection in the Palazzo Vecchio. Above Mary's right shoulder is a disk shaped object. Below is a blow up of this section and a man and his dog can clearly be seen looking up at the object.

Clearly weather balloons.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2014, 05:12:04 PM »
I saw a flying saucer hovering over a field in back of my house. Sitting there spinning, plain as day. What was in it? I couldn't say, but to see what I saw in 1978 was pretty intense and the technology of the craft hovering there is hard to imagine being possible in the 70's, but what do I know. I only know what I saw and it was the stereotypical saucer that Chino posted to poke fun.

You seem to have a much quainter recollection of 1978 than I do. 1978 was a full two decades after the first RC planes were built, and using a circular rotating design for generating lift had been experimented with as early as WWII. In 1978 all it would take is a dedicated enthusiast to create such a device.
(Incidentally, the devices never became commercially viable because they could only hover a few feet off the ground. Like a hovercraft they needed the ground to push themselves off)
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2014, 08:57:28 PM »
Interesting.... so are you suggesting that perhaps some aircraft enthusiastic weirdo built this ship and then flew it around for fun/to fuck with people?
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2014, 09:00:39 PM »
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2014, 09:10:44 PM »
Wait, so you're saying these things don't exist because somebody should've gotten a picture of them by now?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2014, 09:15:23 PM »
So that's where the phrase, "Pics, or it didn't happen" came from! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2014, 09:21:56 PM »
Interesting.... so are you suggesting that perhaps some aircraft enthusiastic weirdo built this ship and then flew it around for fun/to fuck with people?

It's just one of the many options out there. I was just addressing the comment that something hovering over the ground with lights on it was byond 1978 technology, whereas all you need to do is to shape a balloon into a disc, fill it with helium and voila, it floats. Like this one:

https://zowienews.com/2011/04/01/the-april-fools-ufo-landing-that-terrified-london/

Or this one:

https://www.thelivingmoon.com/49ufo_files/03files2/2007_Groningen,_Netherlands.html

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2014, 09:22:01 PM »
Neil Tyson on UFOs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSJElZwEI8o

"The lowest forum of evidence is eyewitness testimony."

This may have been posted elsewhere on this forum recently.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2014, 09:34:09 PM »
I'm still guessing something a contractor was trying to develop, considering Tick's proximity to places like Sikorsky and the Civil Air Patrol.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2014, 09:34:40 PM »

Indeed. I don't want to unnecessarily single out Tick here too much, but it should of course be noted that the eyewitness account was made by a person who apparently has a propensity for interpreting everyday events as paranormal (as with his photograph).

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2014, 09:40:16 PM »
I'm still guessing something a contractor was trying to develop, considering Tick's proximity to places like Sikorsky and the Civil Air Patrol.

I wasn't even aware of that. Check out this Sikorsky vehicle:

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2014, 09:44:15 PM »

;D

/notageek

Kojima has actually stated the 'cypher' was inspired heavily by that. I mean...obviously.  :lol

That notion is absolutely not a far-fetched theory AT ALL.  :rollin People are dicks. Especially the smart ones. /wasbeatenupbygeeksinhighschoolonoppositeday

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2014, 09:50:23 PM »
I wouldn't be at all surprised if the guys at Sikorsky said "let's dress up our prototype and fuck with the locals a bit". So they put some lights on the side and fly it over a field next to residents.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2014, 09:50:34 PM »
Neil Tyson on UFOs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSJElZwEI8o

This may have been posted elsewhere on this forum recently.

This guy is hilarious. Very entertaining.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2014, 10:02:11 PM »

This 7000 year old petroglyph was discovered in the province of Querato, Mexico in 1966. Depicts four beings with their arms outstretched below a large oval object radiating what appear to be beams of light.

Oh god, I have seen this before, not too long ago, in fact today. It appeared at around 7am out of nowhere, and disappeared around 9pm today. I remember, it was warm, I liked it... I hope it comes back. Some guy called it Ra, not sure that's the proper name.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2014, 10:45:01 PM »
 :lol, I was thinking that too at that pic.

And Jorge, I wasn't saying that was implausible, simply asking if that's what Ralf meant :)

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2014, 12:05:33 AM »
Ah, gotcha.

I honestly think that's a probable explanation for at least a good portion of 'sightings'. Even in the last decade there were some pretty elaborate hoaxes, mainly concerning crop circles.

RIP DTP.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2014, 12:13:47 AM »
https://xkcd.com/1235/

This idea was mentioned on a Cracked podcast as well.  Now that everyone has a camera on them, all the sudden there aren't any UFO/Alien/Big Foot/Lochness Monster/etc. sightings.  Probably not a coincidence.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2014, 12:23:22 AM »

Oh god, I have seen this before, not too long ago, in fact today. It appeared at around 7am out of nowhere, and disappeared around 9pm today. I remember, it was warm, I liked it... I hope it comes back. Some guy called it Ra, not sure that's the proper name.

Wow! I saw it too. I was so impressed I carved several dozen pictures of it into the stone near where I live. Surely it must be magical. After it went away, I thought it was angry at my neighbor so I beat him with a stick until he was dead. I hope it pleased the warm thing. Stupid neighbor.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
Re: UFOs - Your thoughts
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2014, 08:28:42 AM »
Lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2014, 08:56:31 AM »

Wow! I saw it too. I was so impressed I carved several dozen pictures of it into the stone near where I live. Surely it must be magical. After it went away, I thought it was angry at my neighbor so I beat him with a stick until he was dead. I hope it pleased the warm thing. Stupid neighbor.

Ugh, you are now my mortal enemy. The disc clearly decreed (it told me last night) that neighbors be *clubbed* to death, not sticked to death. I shall wage war against you now, that's what you get for being a heretic.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2014, 11:46:46 AM »

Ugh, you are now my mortal enemy. The disc clearly decreed (it told me last night) that neighbors be *clubbed* to death, not sticked to death. I shall wage war against you now, that's what you get for being a heretic.
I don't know if I should trust that disc or not. It turns my neighbors red, but also makes me beef jerky.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2014, 01:16:20 PM »

Well, the disc told me that unless you sacrifice all your virgins to it, it will curse you and all of your crops forever. We know your kind doesn't get many women, and we thought about loaning you some virgins; but we use our virgins for other things. Namely, making more virgins. So, have fun starving now.

Offline Andres

« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2014, 01:47:01 PM »
Aliens, ufos, and probing were invented to put form to the shadow behind straight men's fear of the frailty of hypermasculinity and to reinforce subliminal defenses of heteronormative 50's nuclear family ideal.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2014, 03:04:34 PM »
Aliens, ufos, and probing were invented to put form to the shadow behind straight men's fear of the frailty of hypermasculinity and to reinforce subliminal defenses of heteronormative 50's nuclear family ideal.

So you were there when aliens were invented?

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2014, 10:44:14 PM »
WHOOOOAAAA!  :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

It's like I'm listening to my drunk uncle Jerry as a kid all over again. You mangy old fool, go to bed!

RIP DTP.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2014, 11:01:00 PM »

Hey! What's going on here?? Andres= AndyDT.  Hmmmmmmm.  :yeahright ???

Is that you Andy?  :)

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2014, 11:18:16 PM »
 :omg:

HOW DID I NOT SEE IT!?

Andres. Andy...Resurrected... :o HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED.

RIP DTP.

Offline Andres

« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2014, 12:00:54 AM »

Hey! What's going on here?? Andres= AndyDT.  Hmmmmmmm.  :yeahright ???

Is that you Andy?  :)

no bb

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2014, 12:09:29 AM »
...oh....

....oh SHIT! HE IS RISEN!

RIP DTP.

Offline Andres

« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2014, 12:20:53 AM »

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2014, 12:27:48 AM »
Sure you know a man named Steven P?

RIP DTP.

Offline Andres

« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2014, 12:31:03 AM »
Sure you know a man named Steven P?

no peepaw 

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2014, 12:32:38 AM »
Darn. I was hoping the internet had fate. It does not. Except for in Final Fantasy XIV. Fates. Coming to a server near you.

Andres, I think we should get married.

RIP DTP.