Author Topic: UFOs - Your thoughts  (Read 8450 times)

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
UFOs - Your thoughts
« on: July 31, 2014, 12:22:26 PM »
Got bored with cable tv the other night and turned on the Roku for some Netfiix.  I came across three documentaries about UFO's, one of which was the 10 best cases according to the evidence.  What are your thoughts on UFO's?  The majority of sightings, etc. can be explained, but some maybe not.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 03:00:28 AM by ariich »
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: UFO's - Your thoughts
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 12:42:00 PM »
I say no. I feel like the ships spotted are always far too small. If beings are traveling from vast distances, they most likely aren't doing it in a little ship the size of a 747. There would need to be a mother ship hanging out in our solar system somewhere. Not to mention, I would think an alien race who was able to get here would leave some sort of signal we could detect. If they were attempting to come here in secret, my guess is they would never have been seen. They wouldn't fly 90 billion light years ( :neverusethis: ) and make the mistake of being noticed.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 12:49:29 PM »
Only somewhat related, but I think the evidence for UFOs is about as solid as for Sasquatch, and that one was just in the news the other day.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 12:51:31 PM »
Well Chile seems to think there may be real UFOs

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/leslie-kean/government-agency-in-chil_b_5558713.html

Personally I think all of these can be explained somehow and more likey that explanation is some sort of secret government experiment on new technologies such as the whole Area 51 stuff.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 12:59:49 PM »
Paging tick, paging tick.  Please pick up the white courtesy phone.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 01:04:35 PM »
I think life in our universe is pretty likely...intelligent life, somewhere. I don't think we'll ever see it, but if we do I don't think it'll be in any of anyone's lifetime that's alive or will be alive for a few hundred years.

As for anything humans have conjured up thus far...it's just our imaginations attempting to kill the immense amount of boredom this world apparently suffers. Maybe there's been tidbits and smidgens of evidence throughout time...but I really doubt there's ever been any kind of 'contact', and if there ever was they probably said 'that place is fucked' and hightailed it. With all the 'believers' desperately grasping for some kind of excitement...SOMETHING, I just can't take any of that shit seriously or possibly give that much of a shit. It's either there, or it isn't. The whole shroud of mystery and utter cheeseball factor has the prints of humans all over it... Especially the 'cover up' aspects. As if our fockin' BRILLIANT government would be able to cover up something that's come from outside our realm of understanding, not even close. Those fools can't even run their own shit.  :lol The whole thing is just...again...great for a boredom killer. Other than that...*jerking off motion* *farts* I can see hoards of black suits shooing away this alien ship..."SHOO! GO AWAY! PSST!"

Paging tick, paging tick.  Please pick up the white courtesy phone.

^ And yes, I have awaited the master's post since I saw the thread title.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 01:09:55 PM »
Are there flying objects that are, as yet, unidentified?  Yes.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 01:14:25 PM »
 :lol

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 01:16:34 PM »
Its widely known on this board that I saw a flying saucer up close complete with rotating lights that went in a circle on my lawn. For me I have no doubt they exist because I saw one with my own two eyes. and the term UFO is unidentified flying object, so while I don't know what was in the vessel I know it was a saucer.
Also I will add the sighting was seen for many that evening and was reported on the news the following day.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 01:23:59 PM »
Its widely known on this board that I saw a flying saucer up close complete with rotating lights that went in a circle on my lawn.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 02:48:15 PM »
My main thought is that I hope to someday see a UFO for myself.

I know I've read several of your posts on it before, Tick, but can you just elaborate a little more on the effect it had on you? Were you excited, shocked, afraid, or what?
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 02:56:48 PM »
I know I've read several of your posts on it before, Tick, but can you just elaborate a little more on the effect it had on you? Were you excited, shocked, afraid, or what?
Yeah, I'm curious about this as well. My first thought would be "fucking shit, NO ONE will believe me" :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 03:08:15 PM »
Yeah, I'm curious about this as well. My first thought would be "fucking shit, NO ONE will believe me" :lol
Well, being 13 years old I was scared shitless! For days!!! I really didn't consider that people would not believe me, but man did I get killed by classmates and even my asshole gym teacher who actually poked fun at me in front of the class which added to the fun.
Not only did those people not believe me but neither did many of my close friends. I was surprised but that was how it was.
I would ask them...do you think I'm making this shit up?
Then would generally say..."No, I believe that's what you think you saw, I just don't believe that is what you saw."
Always annoyed me. It was all over the news the next day, so at least that gave me some measure of credibility for whatever it was worth.

All these years later I still stare at the sky hoping for another look, and nothing. I really want to see another more than anything!

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 05:22:41 PM »
Tick, if you get a chance, watch the show I was referencing if you have Netflix.  Two of the more interesting cases was near a military base in England and the other in Nova Scotia. 
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2014, 06:08:38 PM »
Tick, can you be more specific about what you actually saw?

Are there flying objects that are, as yet, unidentified?  Yes.

True, it's just a matter of what they are.

Personally, I've never seen anything convincing. I have heard a few stories that were pretty crazy, but that's not quite the type of thing I would believe without actually seeing it.

Back in June, I took a road trip to the Alamosa, CO area to get out of Dodge for my birthday and visited this place: https://www.ufowatchtower.com/

The lady who opened it initially did it as a fun tourist trap because people out in that area had claimed to see UFOs many times, but since she opened it she claims that she herself has seen something like 25 UFOs. She has a whole book full of pictures and stuff. I didn't actually look through all of those (it's very easy to take a photo of a light and make it look very strange) but I did find it interesting that in at least one incident of some folks seeing a UFO there, the next morning there were apparently some helicopters hanging out in the area where it was seen. She also had some other pretty interesting stories.

I mean, I find it hard to believe that if aliens were to come close enough for us to see their fucking ship, they wouldn't come into any contact with us. Unless there is some secret government agency keeping this stuff under wraps, etc. etc.
I also find it hard to believe that so many spaceships would be in this particular area of Colorado in such a short period of time.
I don't doubt that people saw UFOs, but the chance of these actually being alien spaceships? Bitch, please.

Like Jorge said, I believe there is other life out there but the chances of it actually finding us is slim.

And with that, I leave you photos of the UFO Watchtower area:

This is the garden, where you are supposed to leave the aliens offerings:

This was my offering (a McDonald's Optimus Prime toy):

And a road trip buddy I bought for $5:

Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2014, 06:35:36 PM »
For a second I didn't the proper sense of scale for the picture of the garden where you leave offerings and thought it was a guy hanging from a tree.  :rollin
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2014, 06:57:09 PM »
For a second I didn't the proper sense of scale for the picture of the garden where you leave offerings and thought it was a guy hanging from a tree.  :rollin

???  It isn't?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2014, 07:13:26 PM »
'But how did you get there in the first place then?'

'Easy, I got a lift with a teaser.'

'A teaser?'

'Yeah.'

'Er, what is...'

'A teaser? Teasers are usually rich kids with nothing to do. They cruise around
looking for planets which haven't made interstellar contact yet and buzz them.'

'Buzz them?'

'Yeah,' said Ford, 'they buzz them. They find some isolated spot with very few
people around, then land right by some poor unsuspecting soul whom no one's ever
going to believe and them strut up and down in front of him wearing silly antennae
on their head and making beep beep noises. Rather childish really.'

Ain't no aliens here. Either they'd want to make their presence known or they wouldn't. If it's the former, then where are they? If the latter then they wouldn't keep doing immelmans over el Estádio Nacional de Brasília.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2014, 09:02:04 PM »
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2014, 09:51:52 PM »

Did ET calm you down with some orange slices and fetal spooning?
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2014, 10:20:45 PM »
I've seen a "UFO." It was just before dusk and I saw it clear as day. I live near several aircraft plants and whatnot, so I'm assuming it was some sort of terrestrial aircraft I'm unfamiliar with. I would like to believe it was an extraterrestrial craft, but I just can't find it in myself to believe that is the case until it is proven without a shadow of a doubt. There are so many military contractors like Sikorsky and Lockheed Martin that don't disclose everything, so I just assume most craft sightings are some sort of scientific research devices/vehicles or military prototypes.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2014, 12:52:57 AM »
https://akma.disseminary.org/2010/11/guido-sarducci-on-ufos/

Fr. Guido Sarducci's bit from SNL in '79. As good a theory as I've heard.

While I surely believe life exists on other planets, I do believe the perfect conditions which exist on Earth that have led this iteration of intelligent life to exist are extremely rare. I also believe that in the grand scheme of evolved life in our present state, that our time here will be very, very short. Homo sapiens haven't been here very long and have proven to use up all of our resources and kill each other. I don't ever think  we'll have the resources to ever leave our own solar system; nor will we be alive as a species long enough to figure it out. So I doubt any other evolved race could either.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2014, 03:18:17 AM »
I agree 100% with the above statement.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2014, 06:33:20 AM »
I disagree 100% with the statement above the above statement.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2014, 06:57:38 AM »
Me too, Chino. Well… almost.

I think I may agree with the idea that Earthlings will be here for a very, very short time relative to the grand scheme of things.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2014, 07:10:31 AM »
Me too, Chino. Well… almost.

I think I may agree with the idea that Earthlings will be here for a very, very short time relative to the grand scheme of things.

No doubt, but I think "nor will we be alive as a species long enough to figure it out. So I doubt any other evolved race could either." is an idea that I can't get on board with (respectfully). We can't assume intelligent alien lifeforms and their worlds follow our 'rules'. There are far too many variables. Who knows, there could be an earth-like planet that's several times larger than earth with intelligent beings with a 5 year gestation period. Between the greater number of resources and lower rate of reproduction, it'd be safe to say they could survive long enough to get off their rock. There could also be solar systems with more planets, and possibly more habitable planets than our solar system has. Let's just say hypothetically Mars never dried up, it's core was still spinning, and liquid water still flowed on its surface. In that scenario, humans could easily migrate there and extend their time alive as a species by tens of thousand of years. We could definitely figure out a way to get out of our solar system by then. Somewhere out there is the most unsuccessful intelligent species. For all we know, that could be us. I mean, we're pretty damn successful, but imagine if we were the worst.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2014, 08:26:38 AM »
Dinosaurs were around in various forms for 165,000,000 years. While I doubt man will make it anywhere near that, I think we've still got plenty of time left on the clock. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if man made it onto the next step in human evolution. Homo sapiens have only been around 50,000 years or so, and seemed to have coexisted for a while with neanderthals who had about 200,000 years under their belt. Regardless, the pace of change continues to increase, so I don't expect the jump to interstellar travel to be that far away (in a relative sense). None of us will be around to see it, but some of our grandchildren will.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2014, 08:34:21 AM »
UFOs don't exist.

There's no such thing as ghosts or aliens.

[/thread]

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2014, 08:40:17 AM »
Thanks  ???

???  It isn't?

:lol

There is some really fun stuff in that garden.

Tick, can you be more specific about what you actually saw?
He was.
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=32403.0

Cool, never saw that. Will have to read it when I have more time later.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2014, 08:47:01 AM »
Chino, all of those variables are indeed possible; but based upon the fact that we have a greater propensity to war and destruction of each other, I don't see us being able to put the common good of man above all else (religion, ideology, class, race, etc) that already divides us. I mean Gene Roddenberry imagined an incredible world,  but I don't see us unfortunately being able to attain it. I'm of the camp that believes that barring any virus, natural disaster, using all our resources, poisoning our planet, destroying ourselves through war, or some other way of taking us all out- that maybe, just maybe we'll make it long enough to make interstellar travel possible.  Using the same logic, I don't believe any other beings (angels maybe) could do it either. As much as I love it here, and see wonderful things we do every day, I don't hold out much hope for us in the long run. Maybe homosapienV.3.0 or 4.0 perhaps; but I don't see us making it that long.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2014, 01:50:34 PM »
Throughout the entire recorded history of humanity on Earth, there has been not one single tangible piece of evidence to prove the existence of intelligent life anywhere other than right here on Earth.  Until or unless such evidence is presented, as far as I'm concerned, there's nothing to see here, these aren't the droids you're looking for, etc.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2014, 02:02:24 PM »
Throughout the entire recorded history of humanity on Earth, there has been not one single tangible piece of evidence to prove the existence of intelligent life anywhere other than right here on Earth.  Until or unless such evidence is presented, as far as I'm concerned, there's nothing to see here, these aren't the droids you're looking for, etc.

This strange suited figure was found in Kiev and approximately dated to 4,000 BC. 

6000 BC from Tassili, Sahara Desert, North Africa.

Egyptian tombs.

This 7000 year old petroglyph was discovered in the province of Querato, Mexico in 1966. Depicts four beings with their arms outstretched below a large oval object radiating what appear to be beams of light.

Painted in the 15th century by Domenico Ghirlandaio (1449-1494) and hangs as part of the Loeser collection in the Palazzo Vecchio. Above Mary's right shoulder is a disk shaped object. Below is a blow up of this section and a man and his dog can clearly be seen looking up at the object.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2014, 02:05:02 PM »
Photoshop.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2014, 02:38:06 PM »
While Ancient Aliens is often above and beyond ridiculous, there is lots of speculative evidence in history of possible alien visits.  Such as those pictures above as well as the architecture from ancient times that still cant be explained today.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2014, 03:06:53 PM »
I saw a flying saucer hovering over a field in back of my house. Sitting there spinning, plain as day. What was in it? I couldn't say, but to see what I saw in 1978 was pretty intense and the technology of the craft hovering there is hard to imagine being possible in the 70's, but what do I know. I only know what I saw and it was the stereotypical saucer that Chino posted to poke fun.