Author Topic: SomeoneLikeHim's Roulette league v. The winner takes it all. Final Results!  (Read 20845 times)

Offline senecadawg2

Re: SomeoneLikeHim's Roulette league v. What beauty can show. Round 5 results!
« Reply #105 on: August 24, 2014, 04:53:50 PM »
It sounds like you enjoyed the song, and I wasn't particularly concerned about winning the matchup anyways, so that's a good result in my book.
That's what losing side says all the time.

Fair enough  :)

I have sent.

seneca, if you're game, I can PM you what I sent.

That's a funny coincidence! And of course I'm game; I'll send you my submission as well.  :corn
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: August 25, 2014, 06:22:29 AM »
I was half-kidding, anyway.  :)

Sent my second favourite song of all time (and also sent another song in case our host heard the first one before)
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #107 on: August 25, 2014, 11:06:21 AM »
Sent

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #108 on: August 30, 2014, 06:05:55 AM »
This is it, the moment you've all been waiting for! (or at least maybe slightly been looking forward to?)

Grand Final: senecadawg2 vs Scorpion

senecadawg2: Headspace – Daddy Fucking Loves You

Wow, what a song. This just has it all, from the beautiful opening to the heavy riffing in the middle to the grand ending. This song has all that I would want from a prog mini-epic and it's certainly among the best I have recieved in the entire roulette. The Vocals are amazing as well, I recognize the singer from Into the Electric Castle and he is as great here as he was there. Great flow throughout the song with every part offering something fresh, amazing song! :hefdaddy

Scorpion: Sigh – Amnesia

This is a cool song. I have never heard anything really like it, it has a very distinct sound to it. I'm generally not a big fan of the vocals but the instumental work in this song is outstanding, especially in the second half of the song (except for the last minute or so). Very cool and unique song, might check out more in the future.

Winner: senecadawg

Bronze Match: Evermind vs Tom Bombadil

Evermind: Dire Straits – Telegraph Road

No, I haven't heard this song before although I knew it existed. I always enjoy hearing a classic rock band do a long song as they are often quite different from a standard prog epic. This feels more like one long song as opposed to some longer songs that are just pieced together from different parts. Anyway, this song really struck a chord with me. It has some really good melodies during the verses and the guitar playing is excellent (as expected of mr. Knopfler). Overall, a very enjoyable song. The only thing I didn't really like about it was the sudden fade out, not a fan of those.

Tom Bombadil: Thoughts Factory – No Way Out

Fun fact: this is the first song of the roulette that I was unable to find lyrics for online! Anyway, this is a rather straightforward prog metal song, these guys are clearly talented though. Impressive instrumental work throughout the song and some solid melodies during the chorus. Overall it sounds promising for a debut and I will keep an eye out for these guys in the future.

Winner: Evermind

(Match for) 5th place: Buddyhunter1 vs MoraWintersoul

Buddyhunter1: Type O Negative – Everything Dies

This song didn't really click for me unfortunately. It has some good moments but as a whole this isn't something I would go out of my way to listen to. You still win the match though!

Winner: Buddyhunter1

Final Standings:

1. senecadawg2
2. Scorpion
3. Evermind
4. Tom Bombadil
5. Buddyhunter1
6. MoraWintersoul

I would like to thank everyone who took part in this roulette, I've had a lot of fun and I now have a lot of new music to check out! Big congratulations to seneca for winning, even though everyone sent me plenty of great songs noone deserved the top spot quite as much as you! I hope it's been as fun for you as it has been for me! Thank you again for participating! ;D
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Congrats seneca!

Damn you.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline senecadawg2

I really enjoyed this roulette, SLH!

Like I mentioned in my message, I think that the head-to-head format of it spiced things up really nicely. I'm happy that you were able to find a lot of great music, so yeah... Thank you!

Congrats seneca!

Damn you.

Beating you is an honor in itself  ;D
and I'm glad to say that I also discovered some music in this roulette, from you! so thanks
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
This was lots of fun. Thanks for running it so smoothly SLH! :tup

Grats Seneca.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Telegraph Road is just fantastic, really. I'm glad it secured the third place for me, especially against such a talented newcomer to the metal scene as Thoughts Factory. If you said you didn't like the song, I would have been severely disappointed.

Thanks for running this! Third place is good enough for me, and I really enjoyed participating in this, so thanks a lot! And of course, congrats Seneca. You and Scorp were like the only ones I've won the match against in the regular rounds, so it's all good. :D
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.