Author Topic: Sacul's top cheesy albums v. #1 ...to find the answers inside our illusive mind!  (Read 30376 times)

Offline adace

Re: Sacul's top cheesy albums v. #23-22 A Fine Day for Mindcrime
« Reply #105 on: August 24, 2014, 08:57:26 PM »
Never cared much for Queensryche but that Anathema album is great.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #106 on: August 24, 2014, 09:01:20 PM »
I've yet to really get into Anathema, so any controversial tendencies are lost on me. :P

Mindcrime is amazing though :metal

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #107 on: August 25, 2014, 01:46:29 AM »
Never cared much for Queensryche but that Anathema album is great.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #108 on: August 25, 2014, 03:37:43 AM »
Mindcrime is the joint greatest metal album of all time. My top 50 said so.  :biggrin:

I've tried Anathema - its fine if I'm in that mood but it's not really my thing.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: August 25, 2014, 04:18:05 AM »
Never cared much for Anathema but that Queensryche album is great.

Oops ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #110 on: August 25, 2014, 04:26:50 AM »
The musicianship displayed here shows the band where clearly inspired, as shown by Geoff Tate’s mind-blowing performance, Chris DeGarmo’s intense riffs and the precise yet exciting drums fill by Scott Rockenfield. This is truly an essential album for anybody interested on prog metal.

Recommended songs: Revolution Calling, Spreading the Disease, Speak.

What a shame you only name checked DeGarmo yet all three of your recommendations are Michael Wilton efforts! :)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #111 on: August 25, 2014, 08:52:12 AM »
The musicianship displayed here shows the band where clearly inspired, as shown by Geoff Tate’s mind-blowing performance, Chris DeGarmo’s intense riffs and the precise yet exciting drums fill by Scott Rockenfield. This is truly an essential album for anybody interested on prog metal.

Recommended songs: Revolution Calling, Spreading the Disease, Speak.

What a shame you only name checked DeGarmo yet all three of your recommendations are Michael Wilton efforts! :)
Well, I've never been too much into the band so I know just a few of it's members :biggrin:

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sacul's top cheesy albums v. #21-20 Images And Potatoes
« Reply #112 on: August 25, 2014, 07:03:53 PM »
I guess nobody expected such a recent album here.

Images and Words
Dream Theatre

To be some random pictures put together, it's still better than some 70's covers

Who are these?
Who cares?

How does it sound like?
Like King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Yes, Iron Maiden, Metallica and lots of Rush — yet the band’s style remains as truly unique. This, along with Operation: Mindcrime, and arguably Perfect Symmetry, created what we today call prog metal. But what makes I&W so special is that is more progressive than the others mentioned before yet it’s still one of the bands and most accessible records, even for the genre. Many people have felt how their view on music changed when heard this magnificent piece, and many continue doing it today. Imagine some random guy at this very moment being blown away by hearing this and falling in love with it. There is no much more to say, really, since it’s DTF’s most beloved album (thanks to Big Hath’s stats). An essential piece to understand how much Dream Theater has influenced modern metal, in a way or another.

Recommended songs: Take the Time, Metropolis pt.1, Learning to Live

Something personal
It may seem surprising, but my introduction to DT was due to ADTOE, which I loved/hated for a long time (I’m still meh now), and this might have been one of the last albums I heard from the band. More than 20 years later, it still feels fresh an interesting, never overplaying and keeping a perfect flow. And many people are meh about it, but my fav song here is Surrounded. Everything on it is perfect, and beautiful, not even a single bad moment. And like I said on my top 50 DT song, it might have a lot of cheese, but cheesy songs would kill to be like Surrounded. Period.

Lun
Destiny Potato

"I really have no idea what it means or where it actually came from," comments Maxim about the band name.

Who are these?
Destiny Potato is a new band that seemed to have come out of nowhere. They were formed in 2010 by Berklee graduate and multi-instrumentalist David Maxim Micic, in Serbia, along with vocalist Aleksandra Djelmas, both old friends from high school. Their debut LUN was released in May with almost no attention or publicity surrounding it. However, they have been around for a long time, changing members constantly, writing music for over almost 4 years and trying to reach to a contract with a record label. Finally, in 2011, while playing their first gig on the Euroblast Festival, some representatives of Century Media Records where present, and after the show they spoke to the band and later signed them to a worldwide deal. However, at the beginning of this year, they parted ways with them and are now an independent band, again.

How does it sound like?
One of the most interesting thing about LUN is how catchy and, let me say, addictive it is. It’s a weird combination of prog metal songwriting with pop, resulting in heavy yet accessible songs. It’s progressive nature, along with poppy hooks and the intentionally robotic production are kind of ironic, since the tunes are actually emotive, mainly due to singer Aleksandra Djelmasa (aka Alex), and the music is a lot of fun. 

Another cool thing is the use of electronic elements, mostly randomly, just for fun. And it works really well, because it intends to make the vocals look more robotic, but just makes the songs way more entertaining. It can also be noticed how young and not-so-serious these guys are, mainly due to the band name, but also to their attitude to music, with silly passages/lyrics, that show they don’t take themselves too seriously and have a great sense of humor.

All in all, a catchy, refreshing, highly enjoyable and ironic debut by a band that promises a lot, that shows us that some djent and pop can make something really outstanding and original.

Recommended songs: Love Song, Addict, Lunatic

Something personal
Everything David Maxim Micic has released so far has a huge quality, which it does no more than grow and grow more with each album. His perfect Bilo trilogy, along with the debut of his band, shows me that this guys has lots of potential and can become a big part of the prog scene on the next years. You could say I’m his biggest fan :neverusethis:

And no, this is not my album of the year, just the second next to a brilliant piece of art you’ll see soon.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sacul's top cheesy albums v. #21-20 Images And Potatoes
« Reply #113 on: August 25, 2014, 07:33:11 PM »
Images & Words = Musical Perfection

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #114 on: August 25, 2014, 07:38:38 PM »
Stop being so damn controversial.

Never heard of the other album. Gave Addict a listen and thought it was quite alright. Really dig her voice though.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: August 25, 2014, 08:06:48 PM »
Never heard of the other album. Gave Addict a listen and thought it was quite alright. Really dig her voice though.
Try Love Song  ;). And yes, her voice is awesome :heart

Offline Xenon

« Reply #116 on: August 25, 2014, 10:50:09 PM »
I really like how you present the albums to us. It inspires me to make my own list but nobody cares and i'm not sure if my english it's good enough to do that  :lol
Keep'em coming.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #117 on: August 26, 2014, 12:55:44 AM »
Oh God, Destiny Potato is amazing  :o :o
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Onno

« Reply #118 on: August 26, 2014, 01:37:09 AM »
I&W is amazing of course. The Destiny Potato album will go straight to my to-listen-list.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #119 on: August 26, 2014, 01:55:02 AM »
Destiny Potato is great. Thanks for introducing them to me, Lunatic might be my favourite song of 2014 so far.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: August 26, 2014, 09:20:30 AM »
I really like how you present the albums to us. It inspires me to make my own list but nobody cares and i'm not sure if my english it's good enough to do that  :lol
Keep'em coming.
Oh thanks! Make your list, I'd love to see it ;). And don't care about your English, mine isn't perfect, but doing these writeups and constantly posting on this forum have increased my self-confidence. The only way to improve at something is just doing it, so try to read more in English, write more in English and think more in English, not in your native language. You should try it, it has really helped me. (btw, cool nickname :tup)

Oh God, Destiny Potato is amazing  :o :o
Destiny Potato is great. Thanks for introducing them to me, Lunatic might be my favourite song of 2014 so far.
Glad you liked the band. I'd highly recommend you checking the solo albums by it's main guitarist/composer, David Maxim Micic. Mind-blowing stuff.

The Destiny Potato album will go straight to my to-listen-list.
I guess that list is really big, huh? ;D

Offline Onno

« Reply #121 on: August 26, 2014, 09:37:25 AM »
Yep! :P

Offline Xenon

« Reply #122 on: August 26, 2014, 09:39:18 AM »
I like Destiny Potato but i hate that name  :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sacul's top cheesy albums v. #19-18 It's like a death becomes a judgement
« Reply #123 on: August 26, 2014, 07:38:00 PM »
Ocean Machine: Biomech
Devin Townsend

The choruses here are all :hefdaddy

Who is this?
The mighty masturbator Heavy Devy at the beginning of it's career.

How does it sound like?
I could try to write something about this fucking album, but Ultimetal already said it before and better, so have his wise words:
With the more subdued Ocean Machine album, we see the wall of sound manifested in a multitude of atmospheric layers. Simply put, there is always something else going on in the music other than what's at the forefront. Every verse, bridge, chorus on the album (barring the minimalist Death of Music) is stooped in layers of ambient pads and lush soundscapes. Much like the ocean itself, this album is DENSE. The resulting density makes repeated listens incredibly worthwhile, but first listens may be marred by mental overload from the listener. The songs are catchy, the riffs are heavy, and the atmospheric sections are quite relaxing, but it can be WAY too much to take on a first listen.

It's hard to look at this album and not see that it was clearly made by a bipolar personality. The album changes mood so frequently that it occasionally endangers the cohesion of the whole. Fortunately, the production style makes it so that even the relentlessly happy songs feel dark and oppressive. [...] It's so easy to get lost in the layers and (pardon all the ocean parallels) drown in its beauty. Really, the entire album feels like drowning.
-Ultimetalhead

Recommended songs: Seventh Wave, Life, Regulator

Something personal
This was my introduction to the awesome world of Devin Townsend, and has been my favorite album by him since - although Addicted gets better and better with each listen and will eventually take this spot. And I haven't found myself pleased with this for some time, so it will likely be lower on my v2 next year. But, well, I can't change my choices now, so what the hell.

What I like most of it are the choruses, not a single bad one and all of them with a outstanding creativity. The section before the last chorus on Seventh Wave might be my fav moment of Devin's discography. But the prize to best song here goes to The Death of Music, for it's amazing buildup.

Judgement
Anathema

This reminds me of a cover for bad sci-fi novel

Who are these?
Yeah, they again, but I love them so what the hell.

How does it sound like?
Possibbly Anathema's darkest and most depressive album ever. Often praised as their best, it might be 'cause of how honest it actually feels. Don't get me wrong, the band has always been completely honest about their music, but the sorrow, misery and bleakness here are so... intense. It actually makes you want to lay on your bed, think about how much your life sucks and cry in silence. The vocals and the guitar solos are heartbreaking.

Every song features different themes and melodies, but all share a similar sense of darkness. One Last Goodbye is possibly the most touching lament ever written, both due to Vincent's vocal lines and his brother's lyrics, which reflect the passing of their mother. On the other hand songs like Deep and Judgement are more uptempo tracks featuring layered guitars and a more direct approach. Parisienne Moonlight opts for a cliched female/male vocal duet, but the main melody of the song is such a masterpiece that the "cheesiness" of it actually even matters.

The poignant lyrics and the haunting atmosphere prevent the listener from boredom. The most interesting thing about this record is not that it is depressive, nor it is atmospheric, but that it's poignancy seems completely genuine. Ans that's exactly what music is about, at the end, expressing and being true to yourself. That might explain why fans love this so much.

Recommended songs: Deep, One Last Goodbye, Pitiless

Something personal
It took me some time to get into this, for I couldn't get into it then I was discovering the band. It just didn't click on me. And I don't know how or when but I started to love it some months ago. By the way, why does my copy of Pull Me Under Judgement (the song) ends so abruptly?

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Re: Sacul's top cheesy albums v. #19-18 It's like a death becomes a judgement
« Reply #124 on: August 26, 2014, 07:41:05 PM »
My favorite Devy album would probably make around the same spot in my own list, though it's not this one in particular. Still a great listen though.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #125 on: August 26, 2014, 08:45:40 PM »
quick note on the FII entry

Out of the 115 times Dream Theater has been mentioned, this is the first time FII has been in a list.  There were actually 3 other albums to be mentioned before this one that had "Infinity" in the title, including one by, surprisingly, Fall Out Boy.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #126 on: August 26, 2014, 09:00:32 PM »
Ocean Machine is fantastic, and comes very close to being my favorite Devin album.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #127 on: August 26, 2014, 10:22:06 PM »
Judgment is actually my 2nd favorite by anathema (and somedays my #1 ;D) I love all that depression and pessimism.
About that Devy Album, I need to listen to his pre-DTP era.

Offline Onno

« Reply #128 on: August 27, 2014, 02:33:23 AM »
Wow. Judgement is amazing, and I should really listen to it someday soon. OM:B is one of my favourite Devin albums and one of my favourite albums of all time. It is utterly brilliant.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: August 27, 2014, 08:24:46 AM »
Out of the 115 times Dream Theater has been mentioned, this is the first time FII has been in a list.
Cool! By the way, I guess this is the first mention of David Maxim Micic, right?

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sacul's top cheesy albums v. #17-16 Ruined Machines & Distant Satellites
« Reply #130 on: August 27, 2014, 06:01:05 PM »
Pressure & Obsession
Ruined Machines

This guy is criminally unknown

Who is this?
Ruined Machines are an experimental, instrumental rock band out of Linden, New Jersey (USA), formed in July 2006 by Joe Kenyon. With influences ranging from post- and space-rock bands such as Red Sparowes and Explosions in the Sky, hard rock and metal acts like CKY and Hopesfall, and even classic rock outfits like Queen and Pink Floyd, Ruined Machines make use of mellow, atmospheric sounds as well as heavy rock guitar solos to make their sound more creative and enjoyable to listen to.

How does it sound like?
Normally, I would read some reviews about an album before writing this section, but the thing is that this guy is so unknown that barely exists any review at all about his work. So I will try myself to explain it the best I can.

This an instrumental rock and ambient album, with post-rock influences, but more direct, with shorter songs. It feels like a journey without words, where melancholy and true feelings are your companions. There are no need of vocals when the music speaks so loud. Never overplaying too much nor lacking the enough variety to keep the listener interested. Production-wise is outstanding since this a one-man group, the guitars sound clear and powerful, the ambient soundscapes wrap and drown you on their beauty.

And it sounds as nothing I've ever heard. Sure, I can get some of it's influence, but this sounds so unique, beautiful and inspiring. And that's something I truly love about all the albums on my top: they're all different sound-wise, yet they're all amazing on their own way. I don't know what more can I say about this, other than you will like it if you're tired of modern post-rock, you hate post-rock or love post-rock. Definitely an album everybody should listen. Now.

Recommended songs: Karma In Remission, The Extremist Heart, Graceful Pins & Needles

Something personal
Thins might be the very first band I've actually listened to, before LTE and DT. One day, while looking for something interesting at Jamendo (a royalty free music website), I got across this. Wnough to say that it haunted me from the first listen, back in 2011. Another albums from his guy were just about to make the list, but didn't reach this level of awesomeness. And the best thing of this? It's free! Go get it on his Bandcamp site, now.

Distant Satellites
Anathema

Album Of The Year 2014

Who are these?
Nothing to see here, keep scrolling.

How does it sound like?
A perfect blend between the band's new approach with the darker sound of their past era. So the result is s dark, beautiful album that strikes you right into the emotions. It's the blend of all the band has done since Alternative 4: the gloomy atmosphere, the expressive vocals, the buildups, the honest lyrics and music, and the final integration of Lee Douglas as a bandmember. Now she isn't just a back singer like before, no. She has a main role now, and even some songs just for her. Also, the Vincent/Lee duet has never sounded better not only thanks to the amazing production, but also because they possibly give their best performance yet.

Something new the band has implemented are the electronics elements, and they hope to keep them in the future. But they only appear at the end of Distant Satellites, being mostly slow paced and darker than the first half, which is full of energetic songs that buildup to an intense climax. And the most interesting thing is the self-titled song, not Distant Satellites, but the one the band named as them, Anathema. You surely need guts to name a song that way and the hype was quite high, for everybody. The thing is that the tune is so awesome and everybody loves it, and I can't think of another song that deserves to be called like that.

Only time will say, but this already feels like a classic.

Recommended songs: The Lost Song pt. 1, Anathema, Ariel

Something personal
I was afraid to see if they could release something as good as Weather Systems, but I knew they would never surpass it. And they didn't, but damn, this is so good. It takes what I love from WS and from their older albums. Can't believe how a band can release great album after great album, even after 20 years of musical career! I really really need to see these guys live.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #131 on: August 27, 2014, 06:06:49 PM »
Wow man, you really love Anathema  :lol

I can't blame you- I love em too- but dayumm
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Xenon

Re: Sacul's top cheesy albums v. #17-16 Ruined Machines & Distant Satellites
« Reply #132 on: August 27, 2014, 06:17:06 PM »
I love the songs not written by Danny on Distant Satelites (Second Half Mostly) and Anathema (the song). The Songs Danny wrote by himself feel repetitive to me.
Also, I love post rock so that ruined machines thing got my attention.

Offline adace

« Reply #133 on: August 27, 2014, 07:27:45 PM »
Judgement and Distant Satellites are both amazing. Nice to see them on your list.

Ocean Machine is great but it's not really one of my favorite Devy albums.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #134 on: August 27, 2014, 09:54:39 PM »
Aside from You're Not Alone, which I think is dreadful, the rest of Distant Satellites is great. Ariel is one of the best songs I've heard in a long time.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: August 29, 2014, 03:00:26 PM »
Aside from You're Not Alone, which I think is dreadful, the rest of Distant Satellites is great. Ariel is one of the best songs I've heard in a long time.
Nobody comprehends You're not alone's charm :sadpanda:. And yes, Ariel is damn awesome.

Offline Onno

« Reply #136 on: August 29, 2014, 03:48:38 PM »
DS is awesome. The Ruined Machines album will go onto my to-listen-list.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #137 on: August 29, 2014, 04:40:44 PM »
Nobody comprehends You're not alone's charm :sadpanda:. And yes, Ariel is damn awesome.
I love You're not alone

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sacul's top cheesy albums v. #15-14 Beyond The Train Of Thought
« Reply #138 on: August 29, 2014, 09:32:06 PM »
Damn forgot to update this crap yesterday. Get all you deserve.

The Old Man And The Spirit
Beyond The Bridge

This is how to make some decent prog metal

Who are these?
Beyond the Bridge formed back in 1999, named as Fall Out. Because the group of friends that the band consisted of entered university, they dissolved until 2005, when Peter Degenfeld-Schonburg (guitars) resurrected the project with an album in mind: The Old Man and The Spirit. Peter spent the following 5 years along with Christopher Tarnow (keyboardist) shaping the record we have here today.

Chris managed to get producer Simon Oberender (guitars and keys), and this presented them to Fabian Maier (drums) and to Herbie Langhans (vocals). Some time after, one of the original members, Dominik Stotzem (bass), joined them again. And the last incorporation came from Peter, who decided to add jazz singer Dilenya Mar, completing Beyond The Bridge’s lineup.

After a long recording process, The Old Man and The Spirit became a concept album that reached the scene back in January 2012. among their influences and personal tastes, the band refer to Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, Pain Of Salvation, Spock’s Beard, Ayreon, Symphony X, Avantasia, Ark and Spinal Tap.

How does it sound like?
You’ll instantly notice a very particular style — although it doesn’t get so far away from the typical things of the genre, it manages to  feel fresh and original, making it enjoyable from the first listen. Truly remarkable is the wide variety it has, ranging from some mellow power ballads, really progressive sections and catchy songs to some brutal moments. Even the female/male duet complement each other so well, that it makes you forget how cheesy that combination can be.

BTB do prog metal the way it’s meant to be done — with an emphasis on songwriting while sporadically sucking their own dicks just enough for people to recognize their extraordinary talent. There are almost none dizzying, nerdy time signatures, tempo shifts, and key changes that often serve little-to-no musical or artistic purpose. As a result, the songs don’t feel forced, which gives the album an aura of authenticity. It feels natural.

At first, the obvious comparison is Dream theater. And while they might resemble DT at times, it never feels they’re just a clone that’s trying too hard. In fact, two of the things most modern prog metal bands lack are flow, the feeling that an album is a cohesive whole, and enough originality to keep the listener interested throughout all the record.

Recommended songs: Triumph of Irreality, Doorway To Salvation, The Struggle

Something personal
This is how I like my prog metal: emphasis on songwriting and using prog wankery to make songs better and not just for the sake of it. I may not always listen to this album, but if I’m in the mood, it’s a fucking awesome listen, epic all the way through.

I think my favorite year in music is 2012, for I have found some of my very favorite albums released that year. Most of the albums on the list are fromt he last 2 decades, which shows how much I love modern music, and I still think we’re on a creative zenith on almost all areas that evolve creativity. On that sense, this is a good era to live in.

Train Of Thought
Nightmare Cinema

An eye = Illuminati. Their sign is a triangle, which has 3 sides. Metropolis pt. 3 confirmed

How does it sound like?
Like DT's heaviest side, but with a modern twist. Yeah, it divided the fanbase back int he day and blah blah blah. But what the hell, this is heavy as balls, can't believe it was composed just in 3 weeks. Well, they say Liquid Tension Experiment's debut was created just in a week, but these guys were (are) geniuses, capable of reinventing themselves with each album.

Recommended songs: As I Am, In The Name of God

Something personal
This album is full of epic moments. Despite it's only flaw (SoC), it's damn consistent all the way through, finishing with the epic In the Name of God, on of the very best DT songs ever. It has all, honest lyrics, superb musicianship, a memorable chorus, musical masturbation and an epic ending. Oh man, that song is so powerful emotional-wise.

Offline Xenon

Re: Sacul's top cheesy albums v. #15-14 Beyond The Train Of Thought
« Reply #139 on: August 29, 2014, 09:55:40 PM »
That first album got my interest.
Never heard of those Dream Theatre, though, but SoC it's awesome  :biggrin: