Author Topic: Sacul's top cheesy albums v. #1 ...to find the answers inside our illusive mind!  (Read 30290 times)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
When I signed up for this top thing, I didn't have 50 special albums - only 20-30. But as months passed by, I've found lots of great music and now I feel confident enough to show you my favourite records. I wont entertain you with the tragic story of my life, but I'd like to talk a bit on my tastes on musak.

I got into prog around the middle of 2012 thanks to our favourite band here, and I've been kind of a snob or a while. I'm still looking for more awesome prog rock/metal, but I plan to expand my musical horizons to electronic music and classic rock next year. So yeah, 90% of the list is pure prog awesomeness, with some cool exeptions. Also, around 70% of the artists are quite well-known here. But does it matter? No. By the way, I haven't limited the number of albums per artist, because a) I haven't listened to lots of discographies, b) not all the albums from an artist were awesome enough to make the list, and c) if a band has several records here, it means those deserve to be on the top. Of course this method wont work for me on the future, but by now is fine.

A bit of info in how I review an album. To be considered awesome, it has to succeed on my three tests. The first one being Originality - it means that it needs to have an original sound and personality, it has to be unique. The second test being how memorable it is. If after a few listens I don't find myself humming a chorus or my mind can't stop replaying a certain section, it has failed. And finally, the hardest to measure, it has to stand the test of time. It's hard to know this, specially if an album is quite recent, but it also isn't a lot more easy with older records. The bottom line is that all the titles on my top have succeeded the first and second test, but just a few the last one. I'd love to revisit this list in a few years and see how much has it changed.

I want to write a bit about my approach to the writeups. Instead of writing a vanilla text about how awesome an album is, without even giving info on the genre or style (like I'd have done xD), I thought it was better to present you the artist, what you'll find on the record and some personal insights, along with some songs. People who are not familiar with certain album/band, may find this useful.

Curiously, I had already planned a style for my writeups, but it seems that Accelerando came up with a similar one, so don't think I'm copying what he's doing! So, all in all, prepare for the first update in a few hours  :hat

Edit
Here's the complete list:

« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 12:43:54 PM by Sacul »

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
Re: Sacul's top 50 cheesy albums
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 03:19:07 PM »
Haha no worries amigo. Do your thing!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Addicted
Devin Townsend Project

Pop/Industrial metal/Progressive metal/Fawking metal

Who is this?
I think there’s no better introduction for the man than Ultimetalhead’s writeup on the discography thread:
Devin Townsend is a musician, pure and simple. Be it with his soaring vocals, ethereal atmospheres, or crushing guitar, Devin’s music positively bleeds emotion. Looking at Devin’s impressive discography, it might be easy to assume that he’s merely another one of those progressive metal titans who is way too in love with himself and always striving to reinvent the genre. However, Devin has said numerous times that he makes music for himself only, and honestly doesn’t care what people think of it. Obviously, every musician under the sun has said that, but I get the feeling that Devin Townsend is one of the few that truly mean it. Over the course of his career, we have a pop-punk album, numerous industrial/death metal experiments, delightfully heavy pop rock, soft ambient, and even blues-based atmospheric country. While each of his albums are instantly recognizable as his work, each of his many projects takes on its own identity.

How does it sound like?
It’s a complicated thing to say, but, again, UMH explained it accurately:
Honestly, Addicted is a little tough to classify. If I was forced to pick a single mixed genre, I would probably call it pop-metal. I’ve seen other people call it Cannibal Corpse + Britney Spears, which I don’t really agree with at all, but it sets up how strange the genre clash is. […] It’s majestic, heavy, honest, comforting, exhilarating, and wacky all at the same time. […] Just imagine an album full of songs like Life, Stagnant, Material, Slow Me Down, and even Vampira. It’s amazing.
So yeah, it’s a curious mix of heavy, even death metal elements, with pop things — and without sounding mainstream! And it’s kind of prog because lots of things here have no logic yet they’re what make the album awesome. Also, Anneke van Giersbergen’s vocals compliment with Devin’s voice ridiculously well — like beauty and the beast. And he’s really like a beast! This may be the album with less clean vocals from the main Townsend’s discography. Expect lots of screams and growls with a bunch of badass riffs.

Recommended songs: Bend It Like Bender!, Addicted!, Ih-Ah!

Something personal
I’ve recently got into growls, and it’s all thanks to Devin’s amazing music, made to fit all his crazy vocal wankery. I think the reason I never liked harsh vocals was because of the music, not the growl itself. When someone told me that it was all a form of expression, like any other technique in music, I realized my problem was not understanding them. Before, I’d skip a song the moment a scream started — not anymore! Unless the tune was awful, of course.

Dream Theater
Dream Theater

Is Dream Theatre a genre, right?

Who are these?
Some underground-indie-garage-prog band, with lots of wankery and so much energy, powah. No more introduction needed.

How does it sound like?
Like Dream Theater but at the same time, it’s something different. I could say it’s easily their most accessible and straight-forward record, without falling into the infinity of commercial crap produced nowadays. You could say it’s kind of a typical DT album — and it’s kind of it. It has the great opener, a badass single, an instrumental song (actually, 2 instrumentals), some cool songs, and the epic.

It also includes elements of symphonic rock and metal, soft and arena rock, a bit of pop here and there, and some classical music. Don’t worry about the wankery and musical masturbation from the DT label, because this album lacks of it. Seriously, it could be their less-technical record at date — which still means their song are still hard as hell to play for normal people like me.

Recommended songs: The Bigger Picture, Illumination Theory.

Something personal
You may like it, it might be the album that made you fall in love with the band again — or you could have lost your faith on them with this one. Although I’m on the first group, the only reason the self-titled made the top is because of Illumination Theory, the mind-blowing epic. Damn, I never thought they would be able to make such amazing epics again, that make me have chills and sing along the lyrics.

And by the way, if the guys don’t start their next album with that lovely piano/guitar outro, I won’t buy them more t-shirts on their concerts. Period.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 06:17:49 PM by Sacul »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'll follow this, but I'm a bit confused in your approach to be honest.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Will follow. Good start. :tup DT12 is definitely a surprising choice for a top 50 album to say the least.

I'll follow this, but I'm a bit confused in your approach to be honest.

I like splitting up the three questions into sections. Really he says what most people tend to say in their album right ups but it's a different way of organizing it.

Offline adace

Fantastic start to your list. :tup

Following.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Fantastic start to your list. :tup

Following.

This. I love Addicted, though it's not even close to being my favourite Devin Townsend album.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline senecadawg2

I've never really gotten into Addicted, but I respect the choice. DT12 was a pretty massive disappointment for me, but that has more to do with my tastes changing than anything else. I'll be following!
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Blackwater Park
Opeth

Compatible with growl-haters

Who are these?
Opeth are a really known band here, so the need for an introduction feels like a redundancy; but for the sake of this section, I'll copy a nice intro I found out there.
Ask any metal fan in the world and they’ll tell you there’s no band quite like Opeth. Since 1990, Opeth (Stockholm, Sweden)has been writing some of the most unique and extreme progressive metal ever created. With roots spanning from death metal to jazz and 70's progressive, Opeth is an extreme act like no other. Mikael Akerfeldt’s voice shifts between the most soothing clean singing ever heard and the most menacing death metal growls this side of the threshold of hell.

After the breakup of Mikael Akerfeldt’s original death metal band Eruption in 1990, a friend named David Isberg asked him to join as bassist for a band called Opeth. After countless lineup changes and disastrous gigs, Mikael wrote a song called “Poiseinto Celeano”, a song that branched off the standard death metal the band had been playing and into the progressive world.After years a seemingly pointless work, Mikael became the vocalist just before landing a deal with Candlelight Records and recording their debut: Orchid. With Morningrise recorded in the spring of 1996, Opeth began to make a name for themselves in the metal community. 

Opeth has became one of the most respected bands in modern metal. Their music goes beyond a mere collection of soundsand invokes thoughts and visions in listeners’ minds. Concerts have been played to celebrate their eight. album accomplishment and their development over the years. While critics may believe they are just another talented metal band,to the fans, Opeth is more than a band. It is a life-changing experience proving that music can affect people in deep, more profound ways than ever imagined.

-Sputnik Music

How does it sound like?
It's really an unique album and Opeth's style is really distinguishable from any and out there. If you haven't heard a single note from them, weird thing considering you're part of this forum, let me talk you a bit of the Opeth sound. By one side, qe have the agressiveness, the growls, the intense riffs and the melodic solos - the death metal side. And on the other hand, we have the beauty of the Scandinavian folk, the mellow acoustic guitars, a great clean singing, and some Pink Floyd influences - the calm side.

The surprising thing is how well both sides complement each other, even when they are on the same song! Even if you dislike harsh vocals at all, I know lots of people that hate them, but still love Opeth because of the great songwriting. Also, the production of this album is superb, obviously thanks to Steven Wilson, who produced it.

By the way, the cover is from the Legacy Edition (2010), which features a 5.0 remix of the album and some extras. The new cover and artwork is just gorgeous, it reflects way better it's sound and ambient - I love it. I wish I had a hi-fi system to play this :metal

Recommended songs: Bleak, Harvest (clean-singing ballad), The Leper Affinity

Something personal
As I’ve said before, my taste for growls is far recent, not only due to Devin but also to this record. Having loved Damnation, wanting to try something heavier, and with all the praise this album gets, it was an obvious choice. The first time I didn’t like it all — well, just Harvest because it has clean singing. But, as with prog and most music in general, it has grown on me. I’m sure some people will blame that it’s too low, and they may be right — but remember this is just a recent addition, so only time will say if this will go higher.

And please, could someone start a discography thread for these guys? I’d really like to check their other albums and have some nice discussion about them. Of course I could do it on my own, but it’s funnier to do it with other people, watching them praise and blame the same albums.

Red
King Crimson

"The best album ever made" - Kurt Cobain

Who are these?
If you don't know who these guys are, being on a prog site like this, then I don't know what to say you. Just this: the creators of prog. Yes, there were some bands and albums before King Crimson that were searching something similar to what prog would do later, but Robert Fripp & Co. really established the foundations for a whole genre ad a new way of viewing rock music, more as a form of art rather than some catchy tunes to sing along and dance. I wonder how music in general would be if KC never existed.

How does it sound like?
I really suck at describing these things, but I will try. I think this albums serves as the base for what heavy metal would become, as this album is kind of heavy for 1974. You could consider it as proto-metal, and even proto-grunge. Although in prog we're used to weird thing, this album is really weird, at least at a first listen. On a second, it's pure prog majesty.

Recommended songs: Red, Starless

Something personal
Already liking ITCOTKC, I was looking for another KC album to listen to, and somebody recommended me Red, praising it and all the thing. When I first listened, I thought it was a joke, that it was a crap. But after giving it several spins, I came to the conclusion that I simply didn't comprehend it - it grew on me.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

This update is full of win. :tup

Blackwater Park is a masterpiece. Literally, one of the greatest albums ever. And KC's influence can't be stated enough. Red kicks a lot of ass. While it's generally more straight-forward than some other KC albums I can think of, it's still every bit as powerful.

Offline adace

This update is full of win. :tup

Blackwater Park is a masterpiece. Literally, one of the greatest albums ever. And KC's influence can't be stated enough. Red kicks a lot of ass. While it's generally more straight-forward than some other KC albums I can think of, it's still every bit as powerful.
All of this.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
Starless is probably one of the greatest songs ever.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
Following now. Addicted is a great album, but I'm not too fond of DT12. Blackwater Park is one of my favourite Opeth albums. Red has been on my to-listen-list for a while, guess it's really time to have a listen now.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
Great start of the list!
I like your approach and the first 4 picks are solid. Will follow for sure :tup
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Starless is probably one of the greatest songs ever.
This. Is really beautiful, also.

Red has been on my to-listen-list for a while, guess it's really time to have a listen now.
Totally! Approach to it with an open mind an you'll be fine :tup

Also, thanks for you guys who are following. The next update has quite similar albums, but at the same time they're really different ;).

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Messe I.X-VI.X
Ulver

Hauntingly beautiful

Who are these?
Ulver are quite an interesting trio. Like thos bands that can’t resist the urge to progress, they’ve changed their style several times. First, as a black metal act, releasing some of the best Norwegian albums from the genre during the nineties. Then, with the new millennium, they forgot about metal and turned to experimentation, mostly dark ambient and some jazz. Although you may think fans were pissed off, actually lots of them praised Ulver’s evolution and their new sound, specially what is widely considered their best work, Perdition City. They continued evolving during the 00's, trying all kinds of style, each one in a weirder combination than the previous one.

How does it sound like?
It’s dark. Hell dark. And slow. And hard to digest. Imagine an orchestra playing some really dark and even sad neoclassical music, and you might get an idea. Most songs are long, and mostly instrumental, but each one has an unique atmosphere, that fits perfectly the ambient of the album.

It is also one of those albums that need to be listened on the dark to be understood and apreciatted. Trust me, listen to it on a room like that, better with headphones and eyes coled. And relax. Because some deep emotions are hidden in the dark...

Recommended song: Son of Man

Something personal
It was my introduction to the band, last year, thank to a guy that put it on his top 30 at #5. He also introduced me to another record that you’ll see near the end, but it doesn’t matter now. The thing is that I was blown away by how something not even prog-related was THAT good — it kind of changed my view on prog a bit. Being my fav Ulver album for a while, it just recently has become top 3, because the others have grown a lot on me.

Also, there are going to be some albums released in the last 3 years or so. Curiously, some of them are my very favorites. In fact, most of the records on this list are from the last 20 years, with some rare exceptions. The thing is that older music sounds cheesy and boring to my ears, whereas new bands and genres, combined with modern harmonies, are my thing.

Ghost
The Devin Townsend Project

I hope this cures my insomnia

Who is this?
Go to #50 Addicted for a complete introduction for Heavy Devy. Or should I say, in this case, Softy Devy.

How does it sound like?
Imagine Townsend's soft side. Now, add Anneke's voice. A bit of country here and there. Some flutes. And lots, lots of layers. Also, what Ultimetalhead says on the discography thread:
Ghost is beautiful. That’s honestly all I need to say about it. It’s a great album to put on in the background (and absolutely perfect for sleeping). The ambient keyboard pads throughout provide a very cohesive backdrop for Devin’s ethereal vocals and pan-flute from Kat Epple. It’s a hell of a statement, especially after Deconstruction. But really, there isn’t a single other album in Devin’s discography to this point that was even hinting at music like this. This isn’t quite as stripped down or exposed as Ki, but it has the same basic level of “depth” if that makes any sense. There’s plenty of layers. After all, it’s still a Devin album. But, the layers are more singular keyboard patches rather than multiple moving parts of horns/keyboards/guitars/whatever.

Recommended songs: Fly, Ghost

Something personal
This might be my most recent addition to the list, since I've only listened to it a few times since I first heard it on the discography thread (actually, that would be the second one - the first one bored me :lol), but I feel it will just keep growing a bit more with each listen. Such a beautiful record can't be ignored so easily.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Re: Sacul's top cheesy albums v. The Destruction of the Temple (46 - 45)
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2014, 09:54:53 PM »
Ghost is the perfect album to put on when you just want your soul to be free :angel:

Offline adace

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2014, 10:31:47 PM »
Both those albums are so otherworldly and beautiful, though in very different ways. Excellent picks :tup

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2014, 10:08:50 AM »
Well, since it seems there isn't another guy on the waiting list, I may slow a bit the pace, posting an update on the morning an another late on the evening.

Light of Day, Day of Darkness
Green Carnation

Have an hour with this beauty - no regrets

Who are these?
Green Carnation was formed in 1990 in Norway by X-Botteri, Cristopher Botteri, Tchort, and Anders Kobro. They found singer Richart Olsen and began to play around their homeland. The band managed to release a demo before Tchort left to join black metal superstars Emperor; Olsen left soon after and the band decided to disband. The remaining members reformed as In the Woods… and went on to have a successful black metal career of their own, but by 1998 the original members decided to reform the band with new drummer Alf T. Leangel. The debut release, mostly written by Tchort, finally made it to stores in late2000. Although Tchort still managed to start the brutal thrash metal band Blood Red Throne between albums, by 2001 he was back in the studio recording Green Carnation’s sophomore effort, Light of Day, Day of Darkness. 

-Sputnik Music

How does it sound like?
Being an hour prog opus, you could say it's pretentious. And while you may be right, the thing is that this album actually achieves what it pretends: making an amazing 1-hour-song concept album. And it presents an interesting duality between light and darkness, as the writing of this record was heavily influenced by the death of his daughter and the birth of his son. Nonetheless, it's still in general a sad album, with lots of feelings.

I think this is one of the best examples for what prog metal is, as it include elements not used normally in metal, to create an unique soundscape. You have some growls and blast beats here and there, some avant-garde influences (including an oriental a capella section), some saxophones, a children choir and a few strings - all of this combined with mastery to hold your attention and create a memorable album.

Recommended song: The whole thing  :metal .

Something personal
I don't listen to it so many times because it's too long and don't want to overplay it. But when I do, it's an amazing journey that gives me chills. It isn't higher on the list because there are some repetitive parts, specially at the beginning, but the overall is way better than it's parts.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: Sacul's top cheesy albums v. #44 That in my dream I was free...
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2014, 10:22:48 AM »
:metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2014, 10:24:28 AM »
Messe and the Green Carnation album are both awesome!  :tup

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2014, 03:12:34 PM »
I am currently listening to that Green Carnation album/song, and it has reminded me of how much I love it. Excellent choice, I think it sat at a similar position on my list as well.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2014, 04:51:30 PM »
Fuck, made top 20 in my list, and could be higher these days.  I absolutely love this album/song, it's perfect, brilliant piece of art.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2014, 04:55:36 PM »
Great song.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2014, 10:56:32 PM »
I didn't think many of you know about that album/song :eek. But then, we're on DTF, so it shouldn't surprise me :neverusethis:. Nevertheless, this writeup will be short because there's not so much to say about this one that hasn't been said already.

In the Court of the Crimson King
King Crimson

Why so serious?

Who are these?
Creators of prog. Nothing more to say.

How does it sound like?
Like prog. Every progressive song you’ve ever heard wouldn’t have been possible without this tremendous album and it’s unique originality. I won’t say more because I’m sure most if not all of you have heard it already and know what I’m talking about. Although some may think of it as a flawless record, the truth is that the only reason it made my top is because of how amazing are the opener and the last song, because it really drags on the middle. But the awesomeness of both songs is enough for me.

Recommended songs: 21st Century Schizoid Man, The Court of the Crimson King

Something personal
I don’t remember when was the first time I listened to it, maybe on a post like «15 prog albums to continue knowing the genre» or some crap like that. The thing is that after being highly disappointed by Close to the Edge and Selling England by the Pound (both do exactly what I hate about prog), this was an amazing listen. I’m not a fan of classic prog, mostly because of stupid transitions that ruin the flow of the songs, but I hope to find albums as serious as this.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Re: Sacul's top cheesy albums v. #43 Neuro-surgeons scream for more...
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2014, 10:59:08 PM »
What a classic :tup

Offline adace

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: Sacul's top cheesy albums v. #43 Neuro-surgeons scream for more...
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2014, 03:09:16 AM »
Worst album cover ever.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2014, 12:15:21 PM »
Time for something I'm sure you haven't heard, and hopefully will give it a listen, specially you ShadowNinja  :P

Legend Part I
Saviour Machine

The beginning of the storm that would come

Who are these?
Saviour Machine was formed by brothers Eric and Jeff Clayton in the summer of 1989. The band took its name from a song on the David Bowie album The Man Who Sold the World. Saviour Machine recorded and released their first demos in 1990. In 1993, Saviour Machine signed with Frontline Records, a Christian rock record label, and released their first full-length album under the Intense Records imprint, Saviour Machine I. Emerging from this malaise is a band of brooding intensity known as Saviour Machine. Their melodic compositions and innovative productions dance on the cutting edge of today's performance art and rock opera. The lyrics are poetic and profoundly honest, recognizing the darkness of our times, yet refusing to yield to its despair. Powerful and passionate, the music of Saviour Machine brings the soul back into an art-form that has lost its soul.
-Sputnik Music
You should also know that their frontman and singer, Eric Clayton, appeared on Ayreon's The Human Equation as Reason. If you liked his performance, then you should give this a try.

How does it sound like?
Overall, the album has an epic and dark atmosphere, that can easily be classified as gothic. Unlike their debut, this is more melodically-driven, with an impressive musicianship that immerses you in a haunting operatic journey, full of symphonic arrangements and overdriven guitar chords - all about John's Book of Revelations.

I don't know why some people consider this prog metal when it has little metal and just a few prog nuances, but it really doesn't matter when you have such a gloomy and dark album. The only bad thing I can think of this record is that Eric's voice doesn't vary so much, so that might annoy some people. But if you're looking for something original and quite epic, you're in for a treat.

Recommended songs: Legend I:I/The Lamb, Gog: Kings of the North, The Birth Pangs

Something personal
I have a certain fondness for dark albums and fell in love with this at the first listen. It is also a fair recent addition, as most of the top 50 tier on this list. But I'm quite sure this album will stay here for a long time, as it keeps growing on me with each listen. Such an underrated record and ignored band  :censored

By the way, I found about this band thanks to Noisefull's list «The Absolute Guide to Progressive Metal». Sadly, it includes lots of prog thrash/power metal crap, but thankfully I've found a few gems, and I haven't skipped some thanks to Scorpion's recommendations. Saviour Machine's debut also made the list on the first drafts, but hopefully this record stands as a representation of the band and the beginning of Eric Clayton's masterpiece.

Offline senecadawg2

That sounds interesting, but I'm typically not a big fan of music with really strong religious themes...

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
Woah, can't keep up with this pace  :lol I'll put many of these albums on my to-listen-list  :lol

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

In the Court of the Crimson King is, to me. one of the few truly flawless records out there. It always stuns me, no matter how much I listen to it. :hefdaddy

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Can I say I love your something personal point for each album.  We all have that reason certain albums stick with us.  I love it!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
That sounds interesting, but I'm typically not a big fan of music with really strong religious themes...
It can put off some people, I understand, but the music is so great that I don't think it matters. Look at me, for example, an atheist that really dislikes everything religious-related but what the hell, can't help but to love the album.

Woah, can't keep up with this pace  :lol I'll put many of these albums on my to-listen-list  :lol
:lol Don't worry, I'll slow it a bit after the next update. Glad to see my updates are useful to somebody :tup

Can I say I love your something personal point for each album.  We all have that reason certain albums stick with us.  I love it!
Oh thanks :blush. I had a bit of struggle trying to figure out how to put personal thoughts separated from the features of each album - it's impossible to write a list with your fav albums and not say why you love them!

Edit: Next update in a few hours.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sacul's top cheesy albums v. #41 We're the Children of the Sun
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2014, 09:37:48 PM »
Last album from the top 50 tier, and a fair recent addition to the list. Now, with the following updates, I'll just post an album per day. Have fun with this one, or shall I say, peace and love.

Anastasis
Dead Can Dance

By the way, those are sunflowers

Who are these?
Dead Can Dance combine elements of European folk music — particularly music from the Middle Ages and the Renaissance — with ambient pop and world-beat flourishes. Their songs are of lost beauty, regret and sorrow, inspiration and nobility, and of the everlasting human goal of attaining a meaningful existence.Over the course of their career, Dead Can Dance has featured a multitude of members, but two musicians have remained at the core of the band — guitarist Brendan Perry and vocalist Lisa Gerrard. Perry had previously been the lead vocalist and bassist for the Australian-based punk band the Scavengers, a group who were never able to land a recording contract. In 1979, the band changed their name to the Marching Girls, but they still weren’t able to sign a contract. The following year, Perry left the group and began experimenting with electronic music, particularly tape loops and rhythms. In 1981, Perry formed Dead Can Dance with Lisa Gerrard, Paul Erikson, and Simon Monroe. By 1982, Perry and Gerrard decided to relocate to London; Erikson and Monroe decided to stay in Australia.
-Sputnik Music

How does it sound like?
Second in a row, another dark yet wonderful record. With slow pace, haunting vocals and eastern instrumentation (lots of Greek and Turkish influences here), along with a stunning production, it takes you on a journey to another country, it not another world. You’re guided by an old wise man, with a strong voice that would put shame some famous tenors, and his companion, an old woman that seems to sing to the wind. 

And the instrumentation, both old and modern, will make your experience movie-like. Just keep in mind the cover during the listen, and you’ll realize how well it fits the whole atmosphere. It is dark, but not sad at all — just beautifully dark. Now, close your eyes and begin to relax.

Recommended songs: Children of the Sun, Amnesia, Anabasis

Something personal
Back in 2012, when I discovered some of my now top 20 fav albums, I also listened to this. And didn’t like it. At all. A few weeks ago, while revisiting the list from where I found the albums mentioned before, I stumbled across this record, and gave it another chance, since now my tastes in music are a lt wider than before. And, damn, I really wasn’t ready for this at the moment. 

It’s been a long time since I've found an album that I loved on the first listen and this was just a delightful surprise — I remember just playing songs from it on a Plug.dj session and everybody loving them :lol. It also might be my most recent addition to the list, but I’m sure it will stay here for a long time.