Author Topic: Zantera's Top 60 Favorite Long/Progressive/Epic Songs - NR1 REVEALED  (Read 11750 times)

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
Re: Zantera's Top 60 Favorite Long/Progressive/Epic Songs - NR1 REVEALED
« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2014, 11:40:25 AM »
Wasn't expecting this one at all, but can't argue with it. Really amazing song. I remember after I first listened to Frances the Mute I became obsessed with that song for quite a while, heh.

Also, Bring the Sun/Toussaint L'Ouverture is amazing. :heart One of the best songs they've done for sure.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2014, 01:55:24 PM »
I'm not at all familiar with The Mars Volta, apart from the name, so that was a surprising pick for me!

Anyways, nice list! I enjoyed following it and hopefully when I get some time I'll get to checking out some of the songs I haven't yet heard.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2014, 02:57:59 PM »
Amazing song,one of the best tracks of this millennium by far.

Offline 425

« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2014, 03:20:50 PM »
I'm just going to pop in and say that this is a really cool list idea, and I've been reading through it even though I hardly know any of the songs. I'm thinking about using your list as a basis for some music discovery, since it's so well done and everything seems so interesting. So good job, you got someone who knows almost none of this music (I think I know ACOS, Deliverance and Anesthetize, and that's it) interested. :tup
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2014, 03:39:51 PM »
I'm just going to pop in and say that this is a really cool list idea, and I've been reading through it even though I hardly know any of the songs. I'm thinking about using your list as a basis for some music discovery, since it's so well done and everything seems so interesting. So good job, you got someone who knows almost none of this music (I think I know ACOS, Deliverance and Anesthetize, and that's it) interested. :tup

You got a lot of new songs to listen to then! :D

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2014, 05:57:09 PM »
I gotta say, down the line I was expecting TMV considering your relatively new-found fondness for them and enthusiasm in the TMV thread, but doubted it'd be your #1. No complaints here though. Fantastic song :tup

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2014, 10:47:11 PM »
Those last two songs  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy. I agree with you in that I'm having a hard time believing someone will top Swans' album this year for me. One of the most enjoyable moments I've had so far this year is listening to Oxygen while riding my bike as fast I could in the streets around here.

Then a TMV song as number 1.  :metal :metal :metal No disagreements with me but I have to admit I haven't listened to this particular songs enough time cause I haven't dedicated enough time to Frances the Mute since I can't stop listening to De-loused when I listen to TMV cause that's just a perfect album imo and one of my favorites of all time.

Anyway, great and fun list and I actually hope you do more whatever they may be about. And I hope others do threads like these, especially top 50 or whatever bands since I like knowing why people like the bands or artists that they listen to.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2014, 11:19:36 PM »
VOLTA FOREVER.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #78 on: August 04, 2014, 01:34:16 PM »
Ugh, Swans. Still haven't heard anything from them that I actually enjoyed.

Frances the Mute is amazing, though, awesome pick. List overall was awesome, as per usual for your lists, bro!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #79 on: August 04, 2014, 03:39:51 PM »
Ugh, Swans. Still haven't heard anything from them that I actually enjoyed.

Frances the Mute is amazing, though, awesome pick. List overall was awesome, as per usual for your lists, bro!

I know you don't care much for Swans, but I think you could get into them. I know you love more beautiful music, and a lot of Swans stuff is more raw/visceral, but they do have some beautiful and more accessible stuff as well.

See what you think of this song for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdlH4uBvBxY

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #80 on: August 04, 2014, 04:20:20 PM »
White Light From the Mouth of Infinity is generally a brighter, more melodically pleasant album too.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #81 on: August 05, 2014, 12:06:01 AM »
White Light From the Mouth of Infinity is generally a brighter, more melodically pleasant album too.

Yes! I was just going to recommend him that album.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #82 on: August 05, 2014, 10:14:24 AM »
Swans is really a band I'd like to appreciate more, but Soundtracks for the Blind has somewhat been hit or miss with me so far. I love how raw and abrasive it can get (Yum-Yab Killers is an excellent track) and some of the other drone-y songs are amazing, but there are some moments that fail to sustain my interest, which, for a record that's over two hours long, is understandably difficult to do. I'm hoping The Seer and To Be Kind fair better.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #83 on: August 05, 2014, 10:55:39 AM »
Soundtracks For the Blind is easily their most "all over the place" album. It's very diverse, and Michael Gira himself basically recorded the album over several years, so it's almost more a collection of songs rather than an album-album. The Seer and To Be Kind are both diverse, but they were constructed as albums, they feel as albums and they are more consistent/cohesive.

Still, I hold Soundtracks really high (probably my favorite), but that's mostly because all those styles pull my strings the right way. The Seer and To Be Kind are both technically better constructed albums in terms of structure/cohesiveness.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #84 on: August 05, 2014, 02:09:44 PM »
I didn't like Soundtracks for the Blind the first while I had it (despite liking others by them). Now it's one of my overall favourite albums. It takes a couple listens to get invested into its "atmosphere" I find.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #85 on: August 05, 2014, 03:10:26 PM »
I didn't like Soundtracks for the Blind the first while I had it (despite liking others by them). Now it's one of my overall favourite albums. It takes a couple listens to get invested into its "atmosphere" I find.

Atmosphere is a good word. Soundtracks definitely has an atmosphere to it.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #86 on: August 05, 2014, 06:48:12 PM »
I definitely agree with the above two points that Soundtracks is: 1.) diverse and 2.) atmospheric

I can feel it being a grower for sure, and maybe I just need to give it more listens for it to sink in. I'm just a tad naturally leery given its status as one of the greatest albums ever made, as far as underground/experimental music goes at least.

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
« Reply #87 on: August 05, 2014, 06:59:48 PM »
Well I fall in the ship of Soundtracks having songs I really like and certain sections of the album that I think transition really good to each other but don't enjoy as much as most sometimes. I don't think I've given it enough listens though.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #88 on: August 09, 2014, 10:55:52 AM »
Hey, someone agrees with me that Cassandra Geminni is basically the best song ever written.