Author Topic: Zantera's Top 60 Favorite Long/Progressive/Epic Songs - NR1 REVEALED  (Read 11749 times)

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
God damn boy. So many great post-rock songs and bands in this list. One of the best lists I have read so far of the countless of ones on this forum and can't wait to see the top 15.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Mikael growling "choking on dicks"
PEPSI IN MY EYE!

Seriously though:
Deliverance and Anesthetize  :tup

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
 Anesthetize  :hefdaddy

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Okay, I'm going to an amusement park all day, so thought I would pop in early with an update, and hopefully have some time tonight for another one. :)

15. Spiritualized - Cop Shoot Cop... - 17:14

Genre: Space Rock/Neo-Psychedelia/Symphonic Rock
Album: Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space
Year: 1997

Starting off my top15, we have one of my more recent discoveries on this list. Spiritualized is a really cool band that throws everything into the mix and has a really unique sound. I was recommended their big classic masterpiece Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space, and what a wonderful album it is. It's one of those albums that has a little bit for everyone. A few songs sound like Gospel, a few are wonderful Space Rock songs with ethereal guitars, there's a few rockers and a few ballads. Overall just an exciting album with lots of variety. Now to "Cop Shoot Cop..." which is the epic album closer, clocking in at over 17 minutes. The first ~6 minutes are pretty straight forward. The song starts off pretty calm and moves along carefully with a beautiful piano, some other acoustic instruments and an overall laid back vibe. Around the 6 ½ minute mark or so, the song goes into a very Space Rock-oozing jam that stretches for the middle section of the song. I'm a sucker for jam-sections if done right. While they can sound very improvisational (and probably are in most cases), I really love it when you get hit in the face with a really intense instrumental section where they're really pushing the instruments. The instrumental jam is one of my favorite jam sections that isn't made by Swans, and it really does feel like an epic climax. However, as epic of a climax as it is, the song returns to the way it started, with the beautiful piano, the gentle drums and the calm vocals. There's also some really subtle and effective use of brass instruments towards the end of the song, that really adds even more to an otherwise flawless ending. "Cop Shoot Cop..." is one of those truly special songs that manages to stretch for 17 minutes without ever feeling its own length. Not only is it a fantastic closing track, but it really stands out as the best song on the album.

14. Mew - Comforting Sounds - 9:09

Genre: Shoegaze/Dream Pop/Art Rock
Album: Frengers
Year: 2003

I love Mew. I know I've said that many times before, but it can always be said more times. There's something magical about them, and I would probably hold them the highest when it comes to gorgeous melodies and harmonies. "Comforting Sounds" is the 9 minute magnum opus and closer on their most popular album Frengers, which was also their breakthrough. You can divide the song into two parts. The first part is one of the most beautiful, sad and even depressing songs I know. Every word is packed with emotions and Jonas delivers some of his best and most emotional lyrics in this song. For the first 3 ½ minute (maybe a bit more), the song is a very simple and beautiful little song on its own, but what we really gotta talk about is the outro, and the second half of the song. Possibly the best outro of all time? I know that might be hard to judge, but I would at least say it's the most beautiful outro that I know. The way the song builds with guitars, bass and drums is great, but the strings is what really makes it magical. Comforting Sounds has one of those outros that similar to Deliverance by Opeth, it really is the same idea repeated for several minutes. However, by using small changes and details that come into the song throughout the buildup/climax, it gives the song enough variety so that it never gets old. Once it reaches the peak of its climax and Jonas comes back with his vocals, I just can't help but feel so happy. This song is probably my favorite example of a song that starts off sad and depressing, but where it ends on the happy side. I haven't read too much into the song, so I have no idea really, but my own picture of the song is really a sad story that ends with something positive. Like if you go through a tough break-up but you find someone else at the end. Probably the best song the band has done, and a song I really love. The journey it takes me on is just amazing.

13. Red House Painters - Mother - 13:07

Genre: Sadcore/Slowcore/Shoegaze
Album: Red House Painters (Rollercoaster)
Year: 1993

Red House Painters is a band I painfully had to leave off my top60 artists/bands thread when I made it. It was a tough choice, because I would consider them (and the twin-band Sun Kil Moon) to be among my favorite artists, but at the time I made the list, I wasn't familiar with enough albums by both to rank them. "Mother" is the 13 minute slow burner on what's IMO the best album Mark Kozelek ever released (the singer in the band), Red House Painters, or "Rollercoaster" as most fans refer to the album as. If I said Mew's "Comforting Sounds" was a rollercoaster of emotions, Red House Painters is not. They basically invented the genre of "Sadcore", and the music is really sad and depressing. It's part of what makes them so amazing. The music is packed with atmosphere, and in "Mother", which is one of the last tracks on the album, the album really reaches an emotional peak. There are some accessible songs on the album that you would probably be able to get into quite easily, like "Grace Cathedral Park" or "Things Mean a Lot", but "Mother" is more challenging. It has a really slow tempo, sad lyrics and really takes its time to build. But I gotta add that the wait is worth it. Once they start building toward the outro around the 8-9 minute mark, it's smooth sailing from there. Some really emotional vocals, and the instrumentation is stellar. You can really hear them push and squeeze 150% out of their instruments, and the wailing guitars sounds like they are on the edge of giving up. While the music might be too sad or depressing for some, I think there's a certain contradicting effect I get from listening to it. Listening to this really depressing music can sometimes give me positive feelings instead. There's a sense of hope that it leaves you with. "Mother" is one of the big standouts on one of my all time favorite albums, and it really delivers as a long & epic song. Once the final alarming guitars die out, it feels almost like a relief that the song is over. Don't get me wrong, musically it could have gone on for longer, but emotionally it's really heavy and tough to listen to, and once the last guitars fade out, it does feel like a relief that it's over. Kinda like being able to stop before the song becomes too emotionally tough to sit through, and it can still be enjoyed as the perfect track it is.  :heart

Only 12 to go, and from now on I'll probably do two for each update.  :)

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
Spiritualized! :D

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
What a great list so far Jimmy.  So many tunes I need to check out!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Tyrias

Great list so far, I'm really curious for your top ten. Based on your top 50 list I'm rather sure we're gonna see some Oceansize, Swans and Godspeed You, really curious for the rest!  ;) 

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
ahhhhhhhhhh I love Red House Painters, and Ladies and Gentlemen... :heart

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
ahhhhhhhhhh I love Red House Painters, and Ladies and Gentlemen... :heart

This is the right choice.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
Nice to see some love!  :heart
The final two before we get into the top10.

12. Anathema - Universal - 7:19

Genre: Progressive Rock/Atmospheric Rock
Album: We're Here Because We're Here
Year: 2010

Surprise surprise, the list has Anathema! I don't think anyone's surprised. While "Universal" clocks in as one of the shortest tracks on this list, it still qualifies as a long song IMO for several reasons. For starters, Anathema doesn't really have THAT many post-7 minute songs. There are a few (most of them on the most recent albums), but also because of how "Universal" is structured and just the nature of the song itself, it just has that epic/grandiose feel to it. I discovered Anathema back in 2007 or 2008 and count myself to one of those pre-Anathema resurection fans. We know they got a bit of a resurrection with WHBWH, and it has continued ever since. But for a few years the band felt pretty dead, and the 7 year wait between AND and WHBWH must have been tough for the hardcore fans. Even though I was a fan since before, WHBWH blew me away and even though I seem to change my mind every week if I prefer Judgement or WHBWH as their best album, I find it amazing how they really lived up to the pressure of a 7 year album in the progress. "Universal" is IMO their best song. They have a few other songs with specific points that makes them better, for instance "One Last Goodbye" is their most emotional track, or "Regret" being one of their best progressive tracks, but to me, "Universal" really stands in a league of its own. The first half while being calm, beautiful and laid back is just a perfect start to what will come. The outro is just pure perfection. That piano, the way they build the climax with the drums getting more fast and loud, the guitars.. everything about it is just perfect. Anathema have become amazing at writing great build-ups and amazing climaxes, and "Universal" is their best example of that IMO. I don't think they'll ever top it for me, but it also doesn't matter too much, considering it's among my all time favorite songs. But only 12th on this list?! Well, the length does play a certain factor, and I feel like some songs live up to the "epic" attribute slightly better. Such as...

11. Sonic Youth - The Diamond Sea - 19:36

Genre: Noise Rock/Alternative Rock/Experimental Rock
Album: Washing Machine
Year: 1995

"The Diamond Sea" by Sonic Youth. Where should I start with this 19 ½ minute epic? Let's start with the band. Sonic Youth is one of the pioneers behind Alternative Rock/Noise Rock in the late 80s and early 90s, and have created some of my favorite music within those genres. I often take the time to spread the love for what I consider to be some of the best albums within that style, and some of Sonic Youth's best albums like Daydream Nation, Murray Street, Sister or Goo. Washing Machine is a bit of a forgotten album, but it contains what might be my all time favorite Sonic Youth track in "The Diamond Sea". It's the epic closer that rounds off the album, and it's the pinnacle of what the band had been working towards for the last decade. Noise and guitar feedback has always been an integral part about Sonic Youth, and on early albums like Evol and Sister they really showed us that. On Goo they brought it closer to the forefront and managed to incorporate it even better into their sound, and one of their best songs, "Mote" has a lot of amazing use of feedback. But it wasn't really until Washing Machine in 1995 and "The Diamond Sea" when Thurston Moore and his fellow band mates managed to hit a home run with using guitar feedback to perfection. The song does feature some singing and more straight forward sections, where Thurston delivers some great and memorable lyrics in "Look into his eyes and you will see, that men are not alone on the diamond sea. Sail into the heart of the lonely storm, and tell her that you'll love her eternally". The song has some really strong and memorable lyrics, but what makes it so rewarding for me are the long instrumental noise/feedback sections. The song goes from being just another great Sonic Youth track to being on a completely different level. The way the melancholic feeling of Thurston's singing carries on in the amazing guitars is just great songwriting. The last ~10 minutes or so of the song are instrumental, and it builds from that opening guitar riff into something spectacular. I won't hide the fact that this song was hugely inspirational for me when I made one of my own albums (called Fade Into Oblivion), and my huge love for guitar feedback and the use of noise is much because of Sonic Youth. If you know how to use feedback and noise to your advantage, you can make something astonishing, and that's what Sonic Youth has done with "The Diamond Sea". I think with time, this could prove to be a top10 or even top5 track for me. It's still very high though, I love every second of it.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Universal was the first Anathema song I heard. It's incredible.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
Alright, let's start off my top10. :)

10. Converge - Jane Doe - 11:34

Genre: Hardcore Punk/Metalcore
Album: Jane Doe
Year: 2001

Starting off my top10, we have a band that I would probably refer to as the most extreme metal-band in my collection. Converge's mixture of punk and metal results in a high tempo, heavy guitars, furious screams and a sound that can be compared to smashing your face into a brick wall. There's something about Converge though. They write amazing riffs, great songs and while their music (for the most part) holds a blazing high tempo and pounds your face, they work perfectly if you want something heavy. Now, it's not like all of their songs are 2-3 minute crushers. "Jane Doe" is the 11 ½ minute title-track of their most popular album, and it closes off one of the most intense 45 minute-listening experiences that I know. The song features some of their best riffs, and I love how it constantly jumps between crushing heavy with screams to a more "peaceful" state during the chorus. The song is amazing on its own feet, but in the context of the album it really reaches that highest level. The whole album is like one big aggression, and once you reach the title track, it does a perfect job of closing off the album. Every emotion, every little bit of energy, everything comes to the forefront in "Jane Doe". It's what the whole album has been building up to, and it's a glorious climax to a glorious album. Similar to what I said about Red House Painters being emotionally heavy to listen to, there's a certain similarity with Converge on Jane Doe. The whole album is 45 minutes of perfection. Once the ending of the title-track fades out, you realize that putting more into the album or the song would have made it harder to sit through. Sometimes good things are good because you get them in the right amount of doses. I love Converge, and most of their albums (all except the debut really), but they're a smart band. While they have variety, they keep their albums around the 40-45 minute range, and that really works well for them. I would imagine a 60-65 minute album would have been harder to endure, even if the quality was there, especially for the emotional turmoil that is Jane Doe. I think it's their best song on their best album, even if I was highly tempted to put "Grim Heart/Black Rose" on the list (another favorite), there's no denying that "Jane Doe" is probably the finest track the band has put out.

9. Agalloch - In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion - 14:45

Genre: Folk Metal/Doom Metal/Post Metal/Black Metal/Progressive Metal
Album: The Mantle
Year: 2002

At number 9 we have one of my favorite metal bands out there, Agalloch. I remember the first time I heard the band, because I quickly dismissed them as being a worse version of Opeth. Several years later, and I hold Agalloch higher than Opeth.  :lol While it's easy to draw the Opeth/Agalloch comparisons at first (clean/harsh vocals, use of acoustic guitars and blending folk with metal), they're not overly similar or anything. Agalloch takes on a broader spectrum of influences, and it shows in their music. Their albums are all different from each other, while still sounding like the same band. "In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion" is the Deliverance or Blackwater Park of Agalloch. That big epic that most people hail as one of their best. I wouldn't say it's my favorite Agalloch song, though certainly in my top3, but it's without a doubt their most epic IMO. At almost 15 minutes, the song is pretty much flawless. It's pretty melodic and features a lot of acoustic guitars, and some of the band's best lyrics, which are delivered through a black metal-oozing whisper from John Haughm. There's so many memorable parts about this song, that it feels almost overwhelming to talk about. But the intro has been one of my favorite intros since I first heard it. Those guitars and the way they get the song going is just incredible. The "Here at the edge of this world.." vocal part with John doing his soft whisper-kind vocals is one of my favorite sections on the whole album. The "I walked down to a river" part that comes in after 8 minutes is also a favorite of mine.  Instrumentation-wise this song has plenty of memorable guitars and drums as well. I love the marching drums that starts to build up the song again around the 10-minute mark, and the guitars that kicks in near the 11-minute mark are epic as well. I love it how the song comes full circle after the long journey, and manages to incorporate the beginning into the end, in a nice way. I also wanna take the time to mention the "chorus" or what you wanna call it, "Here is the landscape/Here is the sun" which is just incredible. The song is also incredible live, and the band often changes it a bit and plays it slightly shorter than on the album. This song is just on another level than most songs. So epic.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Still a lot on the list I haven't listened to yet.

Agalloch :tup An absolutely stunning track from one of the greatest albums ever.

Offline senecadawg2

A lot of great songs in the last few updates!

Anesthetize, Deliverance, Track VII, Universal, and In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion  :heart :heart :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :heart :heart
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
The only presence of Universal makes your list one of the best I've read on this forum.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
A lot of great songs in the last few updates!

Anesthetize, Deliverance, Track VII, Universal, and In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion  :heart :heart :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :heart :heart

You forgot Swim to the Moon! :)

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
Man, you've been killing it with these last few updates.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
Let's hope I can continue deliver with these next two picks then. :)

8. Oceansize - The Frame - 10:41

Genre: Progressive Rock/Art Rock
Album: Frames
Year: 2007

At number eight we find the band you all know I hold as my favorite, Oceansize. But then you might say "only at number 8?!". I'll be honest, if I made a song strictly for my favorite songs of all time, Oceansize would have a song as my nr1. However, when I sat down and made this list for epic/long songs, I quickly realized that I had a few picks where I felt the songs really delivered on those specific points just a little bit more. I still hold Oceansize as my favorite band and they have several songs I could have picked for this list, and the nr8 spot is really no shame, because it has 7 amazing songs before it. While I could have gone with my all time favorite song in "Music For a Nurse", in terms of the different elements and attributes I looked at for this list, I decided to go with my second overall favorite instead, "The Frame". In my opinion it empathizes the long/epic aspect more, and clocking in at over 10 ½ minutes, it's one of the band's longest songs. Frames is as you already know my favorite album of all time, and what is a perfect album without a perfect closer? I'll be honest, the first time I heard "The Frame", it kinda bored me initially. The intro takes its time to build-up, with a very slow and gentle chord-progression for the first 2-2 ½ minutes before the vocals come in. I will say that the song features some of my favorite lyrics of all time, and it kinda deals with dying/afterlife and those questions. There's something both sad and happy at the same time, because even if the topic is heavy and depressing, there's a glimpse of hope as well. "Time won't change a thing when I'm gone / Don't grab the wheel too tightly my son" is just a perfect chorus, and the subtle use of strings combined with the guitars/bass/drums just works so well. Let's not forget the "I am not the picture now, I am the frame" part, which is another favorite musical moment of mine, and I just love how it builds into the final climax of the song (and the album). The outro is just flawless. It's a cliché and I've said it for other songs before on this list, but whenever the outro reaches its big climax, I can't help but feel euphoria. It's so beautiful, and really the perfect way to finish a perfect album.

7. Kayo Dot - The Manifold Curiosity - 14:30

Genre: Avant-Garde Metal/Experimental Rock
Album: Choirs of the Eye
Year: 2003

Time for another one of my all time favorite albums, Choirs of the Eye by Kayo Dot. I'll be honest, there's no way I'm gonna top my Oceansize pick in terms of beauty. "The Frame" is the most gorgeous track on my list, and so the remaining seven all have other qualities and attributes where they shine more. "The Manifold Curiosity" is the 14 ½ minute centerpiece of Kayo Dot's debut album, and it really is the biggest highlight of the album. The music is very experimental and avant-garde, and while it can be very dense and hard to get into initially, you're highly rewarded once it finally clicks for you. I'll admit, it probably took me 5 listens before it started to grow on me. After 10 listens or so, it had already became a favorite album of mine. The song starts off pretty darn mellow and laid back for the first 4 ½ - 5 minutes or so. Don't get fooled though, the slow start is part of the bigger plan. ;) The Manifold Curiosity lulls you into a calm and beautiful atmosphere with beautiful strumming acoustic guitars, gentle spoken word lyrics by Toby Driver, and a real sense of progression. Around the 5 minute mark the song reaches a beautiful climax that uses brass instruments perfectly. If I wasn't so bad at identifying which brass instrument is which, I would tell you right away, but I guess it kinda sounds like a clarinet? I could be wrong, but either way, it's an incredible little "solo". The last 6 minutes or so is pretty much the perfect example of a spectacular build-up. Starting from almost nothing, with a quiet chamber music section with some talking voices, the song slowly (and slowly is the key word) starts introducing you to more layers. But nothing too fast, a guitar here, some strings there.. and a little bit of drumming. Before you know it the song has really started picking up its pace, and it's already in full blown out avant-garde/experimental metal mode. Around the 12 minute mark when the guitars and drums are at their peak and Toby comes in with his screaming vocals, the song goes off the rails. The song has built up from a quiet and calm, and very beautiful little tune, to being a chaotic and experimental, and also batshit intense climax. Holy smokes this track is just amazing. The nature of the song will make it hard for some to appreciate initially, but I believe that if you give this song (and the album) enough listens, it will grow on you. This is just amazing.

Only 6 more to go.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
I approve of both of these.

And I had the same initial reaction to The Frame, but several listens later it was one of my favorite songs.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Hey, I know the Kayo Dot track!  Love that album, and that song in particular.

I have an older Oceansize album, but not that one.  Need to correct that.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
6. Mogwai - Music For a Forgotten Future (The Singing Mountain) - 23:09

Genre: Post-Rock
Album: Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will (Limited Edition Bonus Disc)
Year: 2011

At number six, I think this is one of the more surprising picks of the list. I rarely get to vent my appreciation for Mogwai, but they're such a great band. I will say that Mogwai for me has always been more of a song-band than an album-band. While they have a few truly amazing albums earlier in their career, their most recent couple of albums have been mixed bags with a few incredible songs, and a few "this is okay but not much else". Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will is an album I will always hold close to my heart. It got me into Mogwai, and I also saw them live when they toured for the album, so it holds a special place for those reasons. I think the album is good, but it's a damn shame that the best track by far was not included on the album. "Music For a Forgotten Future (The Singing Mountain)" is a 23 minute masterpiece that you can find as a bonus-track on the limited edition of the album. Not only do I believe it's the best Mogwai song (even if they have better albums, this song is just my favorite), but by the ranking, that indicates I hold this as one of my favorite Post-Rock songs overall. It's actually quite a mellow and atmospheric tune. The main piano-theme that starts the song off continues well through the first few minutes, but it doesn't get stale. They incorporate various sounds along the way and change it up just enough to keep things interesting. It's a very grandiose and epic song without ever building to huge climaxes (like Godspeed or Sigur Rós does), and for the most part it stays confined as a long ambient/post-rock piece, that would be the perfect backdrop to a cool sci-fi/futuristic movie. It's a very restrained atmospheric piece, where every little detail results in something great. Again, this is not your bombastic post-rock with a huge build-up to a massive crescendo, this is calm and melodic post-rock that would work incredibly well as background music in your room, during a late night when you're just browsing DTF or something. Trust me, I would know.  ;) I don't think underrated is the best word to describe it, but sadly it is forgotten. Many people who know Mogwai aren't even familiar with the song, and it's a shame. It's a forgotten song about a forgotten future.

5. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Storm - 22:14

Genre: Post-Rock
Album: Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven
Year: 2000

From one post-rock track to another, are you really surprised GY!BE made my list? ;) They've been constantly in my top3 favorite artists since I got into them 3-4 years ago, and they're just on another level than most bands. I've said it before and I say it again, even though many people's favorite GY!BE song is either "Sleep" or "The Dead Flag Blues", or even "BBF3", my own personal favorite is "Storm". It's the song that opens up their best album (IMO) Lift Your Skinny Fists..., and not only is it their best song IMO, but I would probably say the first section of the song (the first 6-7 minutes) are some of the best minutes of music that I have ever heard. What an incredible opening to a fantastic album. In my previous write-up for Mogwai I said that they were more under the restrained/laid back post-rock, and GY!BE is really masters of the other spectrum, because build-ups and climaxes is their thing. With GY!BE songs it comes down to two different things: A climax, or the build-up to the climax. It sounds weird, but even during the quiet sections of their songs, they're constantly building towards something. The first few minutes of "Storm" builds towards their best climax IMO, which goes on for a couple of minutes and really reaches its peak around the 6 minute mark before the song goes quiet. Again, the first section of the song is hands down my favorite GY!BE section. But the song doesn't end there. It goes into a quiet section that slowly starts to add in layer after layer, and the song reaches its second big climax, which is also awesome. Most of the GY!BE songs have two big climaxes, and Storm is no different. The song ends with sounds of a train station and a voice speaking, and the very last few minutes feature a very melodic piano that is also quite nice. The last few minutes are more of an atmospheric transition into the next track on the album, "Static", but they also work well in closing off the 22 minute behemoth that is "Storm". My all time favorite post-rock band and my favorite post-rock song. Not much else to add, GY!BE are GY!BE. No words needed. :)

Also, any guesses for the top4?  :D

Offline Kilgore Trout

Dream Theater ?  :P

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Dream Theater ?  :P
He said there's only one song per band and ACOS appeared on the first page already.

Offline senecadawg2

Almost all of your big names are already used, so I'm thinking maybe a Swans song now.

ETA: And Tool, though I'm not sure which is your favorite of their long songs. I'd probably go for Reflection, myself.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 08:03:27 AM by senecadawg2 »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
I like Mogwai, although I am not familiar with that song.

I LOVE that album and song by Godspeed.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Oceansize. Surprising no one. :biggrin:

Ahh, Godspeed.  :hefdaddy Storm is a perfect track, but Sleep is more perfect still to me (does that make sense?).

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
GY!BE is always a correct pick. Storm is top 3 song for me of all their songs but I kinda prefer 2 other songs instead.

Also I will say Swans for sure but that's all I can come up with for right now.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
Nice to see you guys diggin' the picks. I just got home from the cinema and I'm pretty tired, but I wouldn't sleep well without keeping my consistency with updates, so I'll bring you number 4 and 3.  :angel:

4. Steven Wilson - Raider II - 23:21

Genre: Progressive Rock
Album: Grace For Drowning
Year: 2011

"Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air"
So Grace For Drowning is a bit of a dividing album, at least among the people I know. Some think it's a meandering jazz fusion/progressive rock hybrid with overly long songs that go nowhere, others, like myself, consider it to be one of the best releases Steven Wilson has put out in any of his projects. "Raider II" seems to be on the forefront in this case, with people either lifting the song as a bad example, or a good example. Yes, I'll be the first one to admit that Steven is wearing his influences on his sleeves. Could this have been a King Crimson track? Probably. There's parts that ooze of Jethro Tull and Yes as well, but while the influences are clear, it's all about execution. I've talked about my opinions when it comes to Grace vs Raven before, and I still think the difference comes from the situation in both which albums were released. When Grace came out, Steven hadn't really done any 70s sounding stuff. Sure, early Porcupine Tree was very Pink Floyd-y, but if you look at The Incident, Fear of a Blank Planet or Insurgentes, SW wasn't in a 70's place. So Grace felt fresh and exciting despite being more retro. In my opinion that novelty had worn off by the time Raven came, and as a result it felt like more of the same. But we're not here to discuss that! Grace For Drowning is a double album, and "Raider II" is the epic foundation for most of the second disc, but also the album in general. The first 5-6 minutes are pretty straight forward. Very calm piano, very gentle/haunting singing, and some really creepy choirs that are used as a small climax. The flute really shines in this song, and Theo Travis is one of my favorite highlights about it. The middle section is my best guess for where the song loses people. I think many people are along for the ride, but as soon as they get to the ambient middle section (which is very eerie and creepy), it drags a bit too much for some people. Personally, I love it. When the guitar comes back in shortly before the 15 minute mark, you already know that shit is about to go down. The final build-up and climax goes down in history as one of my favorites ever in music. My favorite vocal part in probably any Steven Wilson track is when he comes back with his "I'M RAIDER" during the climax of the song. Seeing it live was so intense, and it became even better in a live environment. Such an amazing song, but due to its nature I think you'll either love it, or consider it to drag too much.

3. Jane's Addiction - Three Days - 10:49

Album: Ritual De Lo Habitual
Year: 1990

At number three, earning a bronze medal, we have what's IMO the pinnacle of Jane's Addiction's career - "Three Days". The band is one of my favorite rock bands, and they put out two perfect albums in Nothing's Shocking and Ritual De Lo Habitual. On the latter, the band started experimenting a bit with their song structures, and started writing songs that were more progressive than previous work. Three Days will both go down as one of my favorite long songs, but I would easily put it in my top5 songs ever as well. Let's start with the place I normally don't talk about too much - lyrics. Lyrically, this song is spot on. Emotional and painful, the lyrics are about a friend of the band who came out to hang with them for three days, before passing away from a drug overdose. It's a really emotional rollercoaster, and the song features some of my favorite lyrics in "Shadows of the morning light / Shadows of the evening sun". The instrumental aspect of this song is crazy though. The drumming is flawless, the bass guitars are spot on, but what we really gotta address is Dave Navarro on guitar. Is this possibly the best guitar track ever? It certainly has what's gotta be considered some of the best guitar solos ever made. While Dave Navarro has always been incredible on the guitar, and I hold him as one of my favorites, in this track he goes from being superb to off-the-effin-walls crazy. It's like if he was jacked up on performance drugs that made him 150% better. He probably were high on some drugs, but it put him in some kind of trance that helped him record these sweet solos. But to return to the drums for a short bit, the song features a really cool percussion solo-part towards the middle which gives a nice little breather. The song soon returns to the amazing guitars though, no worries. If the middle guitar solos were amazing, the ending solo is not worse. Probably even the best out of the solos, and the song really ends on a high note. "Three Days" is an emotional and passionate song, highly energetic and one of those that manages to maintain its intensity and fire throughout almost 11 minutes. I think fire is a good word, because this song has just that. The 9:36 mark just when the song explodes into that final guitar solo is a good proof of that, just highly energetic and mind blowing. While several of my top10 picks have those sections that lets off steam and slows down (which I know some people have a hard time liking), Three Days is one of those highly energetic throughout-songs. It keeps pounding you with amazing things, and if you love technical music, this will probably please you. Probably my favorite guitar song of all time, but easily my favorite guitar solos.

And then there were two...  :)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Just chiming in to say I'm super happy to see all of Altered Course, Comforting Sounds, and The Frame on this list, especially so high up. The latter two are among some of my favorite songs of all time, just so beautiful.

Offline senecadawg2

Should've seen Three Days coming, since you mentioned that it was one of your favorite epics of all time when you sent it to me in my roulette.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Zantera's Top 60 Favorite Long/Progressive/Epic Songs - NR2
« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2014, 03:58:01 AM »
Here to post nr2, and I'll be sucking on nr1 for a few more hours and post it later today.  :D

2. Swans - Bring The Sun / Toussaint L'Ouverture - 34:05

Genre: Post-Punk/Noise-Rock/Drone/Post-Rock/Experimental Rock
Album: To Be Kind
Year: 2014

Time for SWANS. You guys knew it was coming, I knew it was coming, and it was almost inevitable at this point. I've been blowing the trumpets of Swans ever since I got into the band in 2012, when they dropped their two hour behemoth The Seer, which became my album of the year. Two years later, they drop an even better follow-up in a new two hour album, To Be Kind. Already my album of the year since the first week of its release, and I honestly don't see anyone who could top this for AOTY this year. Swans are just on another level, and it's almost ridiculous. When you're talking about bands who are 30 years into their career, usually you think of bands like Rolling Stones or AC/DC, bands who had their peak a long time ago but still tour around with old stuff, playing some new stuff (that isn't nearly as good). Swans are different. They did have peaks before, and they had a few masterpieces in both the 80s and the 90s, but after the reformation in 2008, the band has just taken their music to another level. With The Seer and To Be Kind back to back, Swans have never been better.

"Bring The Sun / Toussaint L'Ouverture" is the 34 minute centerpiece on the album that fleshes out most of the first CD. The song starts with a crushingly heavy intro riff that really pummels you into oblivion. What a way to start the song. It goes into a calm and darker section after that, typical Swans. What follows is a long and epic build-up towards the first climax of the song. Guitars slowly building, drums ascending, Michael Gira singing "briiiing the suuuuuuuun", and the song starts picking up more and more pace. The song finally explodes after the 14 minute mark, and the first part/climax is over. Some time for you to get your breath back, because man was that intense and epic. What follows is an ambient/noise section with some very creepy instrumentation and just packed with atmosphere. The section even uses sounds of horses and rape whistles, and some weird singing by Michael Gira, who sounds like he's in a trance. While the song does not have a big set of lyrics, Michael Gira utilizes every single word to perfection. The second part of the song features a great build-up again to a climax, with Michael Gira shouting French words and terms, and the way he bends "Toussaint" in so many different & unique ways is remarkable. The second half gets more dark and experimental than the first half, and as soon as the final climax is over, it really is like coming back from a journey and you're able to just relax and take a breath, because boy oh boy was that crazy. Swans really manages to mix loads of genres and make a sound of their own, and I saw someone refer to them as "Jam-Rock" and there's something to it. A lot of the instrumental sections does feel like they were jammed out and almost made up on the spot, but that also gives them a very human element, and IMO they are better because of it. While the whole album is full of amazing tracks, "Bring The Sun / Toussaint L'Ouverture" really is a big standout not only in length, but in quality. It's probably the best we've heard Swans so far in their career, and this is with Michael Gira at 60 years of age. Swans are 30 years into their career, but they are making some of the most experimental and best music out there at the moment, and their music is just intense.

So only number 1 to go now. I'll be honest and say that number 1 was a bit of an impulse and it might come out of the left field for some.  ;)

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2014, 05:42:19 AM »
To Be Kind is a masterpiece. Probably one of the heaviest albums I've EVER heard. Also,I've never listened to that Mogwai album so I shall give it a listen soon.  :tup

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2014, 05:51:39 AM »
I've been trying to listen to that album more and more, but it's a little tedious for me. I always enjoy the first half or so, but then I begin to feel exhausted of it.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2014, 06:17:20 AM »
To Be Kind is a masterpiece. Probably one of the heaviest albums I've EVER heard. Also,I've never listened to that Mogwai album so I shall give it a listen soon.  :tup

Don't forget the bonus disc on which the song is on. ;) Otherwise the "main" album is pretty great too!

I've been trying to listen to that album more and more, but it's a little tedious for me. I always enjoy the first half or so, but then I begin to feel exhausted of it.

While I probably like Disc 1 the most, Disc 2 has some of the biggest highlights of the album for me. She Loves Us is probably my second favorite after Bring the Sun, and I really love Kirsten Supine. Let's not forget the powerhouse that is Oxygen, which really brings back the best of Filth/Cop-era Swans with a new sound to it. My only complaint (and it would be a small one) is that To Be Kind is not as good of a closer as The Apostate was, but they're also two very different tracks. To Be Kind ends on a calm/quiet and laid back note, where The Seer ended with a giant bang.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Zantera's Top 60 Favorite Long/Progressive/Epic Songs - NR1 REVEALED
« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2014, 11:29:19 AM »
Here we go!

1. The Mars Volta - Cassandra Gemini - 32:32

Album: Frances the Mute
Year: 2005

So I hinted that the number one would come a bit out of the left field, and considering The Mars Volta is still a fairly new band in my collection, it might surprise a lot of you. Still, while I am very much an impulse person, when something feels right, it feels right. I think in all these lists, no matter who makes them, they are always going to be reflected by what you are feeling and thinking at the time you are making them. I truly believe this song is good enough to be nr1 on this list, even if I only heard it a few months ago for the first time. "Cassandra Gemini" is the 32 minute masterpiece that closes off my favorite Mars Volta album - Frances the Mute, and while it's split up into 8 songs on some of the CD releases, it's one long thing on the vinyl release, and labeled as just "Cassandra Gemini". But lets dive into it!

The song starts right away quite abruptly and surprises you right away with a pretty neat riff and Cedric doing some pretty sweet singing on top. The song goes into the main verse around the 40 second mark, and I just love the main melody that it brings. There's some cool vocoder vocals on top, and the song builds up to the main chorus of the song around the 2:19 mark. The chorus is AMAZING. Part 1 of the song really is amazing at creating a setting for the whole song to operate within. It's almost like a 4:45 song on its own, with verse/chorus/verse/chorus structure, but it's more like an intro to what will follow. Part 2 starts off with a blazing guitar solo that kicks a lot of ass, and leads into one of the grooviest sections I've ever heard. Around the 1:05 mark when it's just the bass and drums and Cedric singing on top. It's simple, but it works SO well. It also builds up incredibly over time with Cedric doing some vocals that almost sound like barking, and it's a section I can't sit still to. I gotta play some air drums at least. The song has some really sweet instrumentation with a fantastic piano part towards the middle, and I love that quiet parts towards the end when Cedric almost whispers "I peel back all of your skin". Part 3 is one of my favorite parts of the song. It's one of the shorter ones, but it features one of the biggest climaxes and crescendos of the song. It starts off right away with the guitar-riff that works as a foundation. The way it builds over the first minute is insane, and when it reaches its climax with the brass instruments joining in, wow... just incredible. Lets not forget the guitar solo which is crazy good.

Part 4 is where the song goes more into instrumental mode. It starts off as a continuation of the wonderful climax that was Part 3, so the first few minutes are sort of constructing down towards a calmer state. The instrumental section is one of my favorite moments of the song. The guitar is incredible, and when the organ joins in at 4:16, that's one of the best parts of the song. Cedric joining in with his "NOT FOREVERMORE" is really great as well.  The organ has a very playful sound to it, and it's really progressive rock at its best. Part 4 is one of the more experimental and instrumental tracks, and the band really goes full prog. Part 5 continues in the same vein and is very ambient/calm and features a lot of guitar noises and effects. While it's simple, I LOVE the bass guitar that drives it forward. Such a great bass riff, and it adds some groove to an otherwise pretty restrained and laid back tune. Being a huge fan of guitar experimentation, I LOVE this part. Most of it really is a calm section with the guitars doing all kind of weird shit on top, like slow and screeching effects, but being a sucker for those things, I love it. The guitars gets more and more epic towards the end, but if you were afraid the album would end on a slow or calm note, you are wrong. Part 6 continues building up with a really jazzy brass section where it sounds like someone is raping a trumpet (but in a good way), and the song gets back on track similar to how it sounded in the beginning. Part 7 is the part that ties the song together. While it's shorter than the minute, it takes the song full circle by taking it back to the original chorus from the first part, and gives the whole piece a cohesive and consistent feel to it. The final part, Part 8 is more of a little tune that ties the album together, because it connects with the first track on the album (Cygnus), and in that sense it's not so much part of Cassandra Gemini, but rather a 54 second outro that takes the whole album full circle.

What makes the song so good? I think the musicianship is the main key for me. The band is just on fire. Every section, every riff and just about every second of the song hits a home run with me. There's something interesting going on for everyone. If you are a vocalist, there's plenty of amazing vocals in this track. If you're a guitarist - this song fuckin' slays it. If you play drums - you can learn from the grooves. It's just such an incredible modern day progressive rock masterpiece, and it really features the band at their best IMO. Mars Volta walks that fine line of being both technically brilliant but also very passionate, and the passion really shines through in this song. There's such an energy and such a heat to the playing in this song.. it's one of those special situations where everything just comes together to form something magical.

So, thanks to everyone who has been following and writing. A lot of fun has been had. :) I'll probably re-group and think of another idea for a list (maybe topX shortest songs? haha), but if anyone else is interested in making their topX long songs list, I think it's a cool idea for a thread. But thanks for reading and peace out!  :metal