Author Topic: Lucien's Going to College!  (Read 1464 times)

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Lucien's Going to College!
« on: July 21, 2014, 08:26:08 PM »
Which means I'll be gone for a while. Or at least inactive. Class officially starts in exactly a month. August 21st. Stuff doesn't look too hard, it's basically all music classes and a basic math class for my first semester, 14 hours total. Go to class. They told everyone that at orientation today at least 10 times. Good tip. I'll try to follow it. Hopefully I get the cheap dorms I applied for (I actually applied for like 5 of those centers.

Originally I had applied for the cheapest apartment I could find. Apparently they were suppose to get back to me within two weeks (I applied June 6), but I checked back and emailed them a month later, and they told me they had no vacancies, and I was number 135 on the waitlist for that apartment. Sad.

Money. So, I'm getting quite a bit of it, and my scholarships/loan for this year cover all but $2k-3k of... basically everything I have to pay for, minus books and other small things. Thankfully, there are still of a ton of scholarships I'm finding with scholarshipexperts' search engine. Any scholarships I find through there (like THIS one you can sponsor me for; 20,000 DOLLARS! [vote please I know this is immature lol]) will be used to fill that 2k-3k gap, prepare for next year, and pay off the $5.5k federal loan I'm getting for this first year.

This year, I'm going to keep myself from anything that might excessively distract me. This includes the forum, sadly. It has taken quite a bit of time over the year I've been here. If... I can keep my urges under control over the course of the first month or so... I will stay on the forum. Otherwise, I will ask bosk to keep me from this place until December, winter break. In other words, I might be saying goodbye soon. I will make a second attempt during January and February to keep myself under control in that regard, given I cannot during the fall semester. If I cannot keep myself under control then, you'll hear me again in the summer.

This is not a goodbye, but I do wish you all luck.  :D
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Re: Lucien's Going to College!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 08:33:58 PM »
Oh shit there's water in my eyes, damn allergies.

Offline Cable

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 08:34:25 PM »
Go to class. They told everyone that at orientation today at least 10 times. Good tip. I'll try to follow it.

Assuming this is sarcasm, it's an obvious, but a solid tip. There are a fair amount of people who do not go to class. As many professors will say, these are the ones that do not pass. Again, obvious, but many do not go to class for ______ reason.

Good luck, stick with it and time management! You are already making that attempt with this post.  :tup
---

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 08:35:49 PM »
Good luck, bro!

Although, my first year of college (last year) I was still on here all the time. :lol   I made good grades though, so I don't really regret it. :P

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 08:52:02 PM »
Best of luck.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 08:56:33 PM »
Assuming this is sarcasm, it's an obvious, but a solid tip. There are a fair amount of people who do not go to class. As many professors will say, these are the ones that do not pass. Again, obvious, but many do not go to class for ______ reason.

Good luck, stick with it and time management! You are already making that attempt with this post.  :tup

I had a roommate (a Pharmacy major) sophomore year who spent the entire first semester playing Final Fantasy Tactics (trying to get a 100% in the game).  Needless to say, he wasn't a student for much after that semester.

I know what you mean, my allergies get bad in the fall  ;)
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Zyzzyva17

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 09:19:37 PM »
So, what does it say about me that I joined the forum during my freshman year of college?
D - D/F# - G - D - Bm - Bm/A - E/G# - A

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 09:20:43 PM »
I know what you mean, my allergies get bad in the fall  ;)

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 09:51:01 PM »
So, what does it say about me that I joined the forum during my freshman year of college?
Haha same here bro

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 10:40:07 PM »
Good luck man, and don't bother with us, partying like there's no tomorrow and getting more pussy than a rock star studying hard and preparing yourself for life are the most important things about college.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 03:20:38 AM »
Who?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 05:05:52 AM »
Lucien, have you declared a major yet?

You mentioned taking a bunch of music classes, but I wasn't sure if you were specifically a music major.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 05:34:36 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 07:07:44 AM »
See you a week or two after the start of classes.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2014, 07:08:40 AM »
Yeah, this. I think you'll be surprised at how much time you'll have left, even after going full valedictorian mode.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2014, 07:43:45 AM »

:lol

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2014, 07:48:39 AM »
Yeah, this. I think you'll be surprised at how much time you'll have left, even after going full valedictorian mode.

Agreed. But in any event, I wish you the best of luck if we don't actually see you for awhile, Lucien! :tup
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2014, 07:54:38 AM »
Yeah, make sure you're not just grinding your nose against the books man. There's so much more to college than just going to class and studying. Have a social life, try out some clubs possibly. You're going to have extra time to kill, no matter what they say. I took similar hours my first year of college, and now at Full Sail, I'm in class alone(not including homework time and stuff) on average 40-44 hours a week, and you wouldn't believe all of the time I have to kill.

Anywho, hope you enjoy yourself Lucien, college is a blast.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2014, 11:39:41 AM »

Totally agree. I think you'll find that you have even more time than you did in high school. Just showing up to class, I was able to get B's no problem. I rarely ever studied, until I started taking science classes that is, and even they weren't that bad. It was just a matter of moderate studying. The first time that I ever had to really bust my ass was Grad school.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 12:27:18 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2014, 11:58:21 AM »
Be sure to watch Van Wilder to make sure you know exactly how to do the college. No one knows how. Except for that man.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014, 04:19:58 PM »

Dammit!  you beat me to it! :lol

Good luck Lucien!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2014, 05:28:03 PM »
Leaving the forum to go to college? You'll never have more free time in your life after college!

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2014, 08:21:52 PM »
I'll probably have free time. I posted this the night of the first day of orientation, and today I learned how much free time I'll actually have when I start. Yeah, I'll probably still be here. A lot.

Lucien, have you declared a major yet?

You mentioned taking a bunch of music classes, but I wasn't sure if you were specifically a music major.

Music Education, specifically. After I'm done with college, I'll be looking around for high school orchestra teacher openings or offerings (more common than you think!).

Yeah, make sure you're not just grinding your nose against the books man. There's so much more to college than just going to class and studying. Have a social life, try out some clubs possibly. You're going to have extra time to kill, no matter what they say. I took similar hours my first year of college, and now at Full Sail, I'm in class alone(not including homework time and stuff) on average 40-44 hours a week, and you wouldn't believe all of the time I have to kill.

Anywho, hope you enjoy yourself Lucien, college is a blast.

During today at orientation I signed up for.. two groups? One was a freshman leadership group (If I'm going to be a teacher I'll need to know how to really stand up as a leader to the kids), the other was this japanese fencing group, which I signed up for because I love fencing and I'm already pretty decent at it. Both of these have 0 conflicts with my schedule.  ;D

Fun times.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin