Author Topic: "Dad was acting like a dad"  (Read 3096 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: "Dad was acting like a dad"
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2014, 09:59:25 AM »

Well, I'd rather people like this die than take a chance on them getting out and ruining any more lives.  Obviously, neither scenario is the preferred one, but I have zero sympathy for child molesters.  I know, I know, they have deep-seeded problems that require serious help, but considering the high rate of recidivism with such offenders, I am always for erring on the side of caution, especially when it comes to children.
Given treatment chesters have one of the lowest recidivism rates in CJ. It's when they're dumped in with the sodomites that they become habitual offenders (like pretty much every other criminal). Their higher recidivism rate thing was manufactured by people with a vested interest in keeping people terrified of bogeymen (FOX, CCA, any politician with an election coming up).

Link?

Also, I don't think child molesters can be shrugged off as (imaginary) boogeymen.  I agree that just tossing them in prison with the lowest of the low does them no good as far as rehabilitation, but what is the alternative?  Giving treatment to every sex offender, in the hopes that some change their ways, would probably cost a fortune.  Granted, given all of the money this country wastes on everything else, it might not be a bad way to go, but given how many jump to the "Ban guns!" mantra every time there is a violent crime instead of focusing on the real issue, it's clear that many in this country have little interest in mental health.  Despite what I said, I actually do, but I am just apprehensive when it comes to sex offenders.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2014, 10:47:19 AM »

Well, I'd rather people like this die than take a chance on them getting out and ruining any more lives.  Obviously, neither scenario is the preferred one, but I have zero sympathy for child molesters.  I know, I know, they have deep-seeded problems that require serious help, but considering the high rate of recidivism with such offenders, I am always for erring on the side of caution, especially when it comes to children.
Given treatment chesters have one of the lowest recidivism rates in CJ. It's when they're dumped in with the sodomites that they become habitual offenders (like pretty much every other criminal). Their higher recidivism rate thing was manufactured by people with a vested interest in keeping people terrified of bogeymen (FOX, CCA, any politician with an election coming up).

Link?

Also, I don't think child molesters can be shrugged off as (imaginary) boogeymen.  I agree that just tossing them in prison with the lowest of the low does them no good as far as rehabilitation, but what is the alternative?  Giving treatment to every sex offender, in the hopes that some change their ways, would probably cost a fortune.  Granted, given all of the money this country wastes on everything else, it might not be a bad way to go, but given how many jump to the "Ban guns!" mantra every time there is a violent crime instead of focusing on the real issue, it's clear that many in this country have little interest in mental health.  Despite what I said, I actually do, but I am just apprehensive when it comes to sex offenders.
If you google sex offender recidivism you'll find a seemingly endless string of studies ranging from scholarly to governmental. Pick one, they all come to the same conclusion. Since wikiP's synopsis includes a breakdown of child molesters, the key point in this topic, here it is. It's taken from a 1994 report from the DOJ. I like the older one because it predates any of the knee-jerk bullshit that's happened since the paranoia was foisted upon us.

Approximately 4,300 child molesters were released from prisons in 15 US states in 1994. An estimated 3.3 percent of these 4,300 were rearrested for another sex crime against a child within 3 years of release from prison. Among child molesters released from prison in 1994, 60 percent had been in prison for molesting a child 13 years old or younger. The median age of victims of those imprisoned for sexual assault was less than 13 years old; the median age of rape victims was about 22 years. Child molesters were, on average, five years older than violent offenders who committed their crimes against adults. Nearly 25 percent of child molesters were age 40 or older, but about 10 percent of inmates with adult victims were in that age group

And bogeyman is applicable. The people selling paranoia are using random strangers breaking into your house to fuck your daughter as the concern. Hence all of the registration and restrictions on so-called sex offenders.  In reality it's normally dad or Uncle Pete that's banging her.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2014, 08:43:56 PM »
I would do worse to the guy in a heartbeat
I don’t know what to put here anymore