Poll

What are your three favorite Opeth records?

Orchid
7 (1.1%)
Morningrise
15 (2.3%)
My Arms, Your Hearse
26 (4%)
Still Life
81 (12.3%)
Blackwater Park
161 (24.5%)
Deliverance
43 (6.5%)
Damnation
53 (8.1%)
Ghost Reveries
152 (23.1%)
Watershed
66 (10%)
Heritage
21 (3.2%)
Pale Communion
32 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 224

Voting closed: June 13, 2020, 08:32:34 AM

Author Topic: The official Opeth thread v. In Cauda Venenum  (Read 181055 times)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: The official Opeth thread v. In Cauda Venenum
« Reply #1750 on: November 15, 2023, 05:24:21 PM »
Man, that really makes me reminiscent.  First, just extra footage from that making of I watched a number of times back then.  And then secondly, when Damnation came out one of my first memories of it was putting "Hope Leaves" on after finishing a final exam, walking out of the building into a light rain, and eating a Reese's fast break bar.  A memory probably permanently seared into my mind. 

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1751 on: November 15, 2023, 07:09:25 PM »
My favorite lineup of the band. Lopez is just one of the smoothest drummers I have ever seen. He makes it look so effortless. I so enjoy just watching him play.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1752 on: November 15, 2023, 07:11:43 PM »
My favorite lineup of the band. Lopez is just one of the smoothest drummers I have ever seen. He makes it look so effortless. I so enjoy just watching him play.

Agreed - it's one of the reasons the performance on the Lamentations DVD is so good.

Offline Kocak

« Reply #1753 on: November 16, 2023, 01:19:27 AM »

IMO he's the perfect drummer for the post-2010 retro-prog era of Opeth too. Just has the right flavour.

Offline emtee

« Reply #1754 on: November 16, 2023, 05:17:43 AM »
Lopez is fantastic. He managed to always create unique and memorable parts. His performance on Ghost Reveries is among my all time favorites.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1755 on: February 16, 2024, 09:14:14 PM »

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1756 on: February 20, 2024, 03:16:21 AM »
I was wondering when the time for a new Opeth album would come. Cauda came out almost 4 1/2 years ago.

BTW I love how Anderson talks about Opeth like they’re a newcomer in the prog scene  :lol “they’re Swedish”, hilarious.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Kocak

« Reply #1757 on: February 20, 2024, 03:21:19 AM »
I was wondering when the time for a new Opeth album would come. Cauda came out almost 4 1/2 years ago.

BTW I love how Anderson talks about Opeth like they’re a newcomer in the prog scene  :lol “they’re Swedish”, hilarious.

You'd be surprised to know how many professional musicians actually have no interest in the general music landscape. A surprisingly small number of them are actually up to date on what's goes on in the industry. I.e. MP is an outlier when it comes to being that dialled in.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #1758 on: February 20, 2024, 12:10:53 PM »
saw this thread got bumped and got excited for some news lol

ICV remains their best post-Watershed record (IMO) very excited for where they go from here
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Kram

« Reply #1759 on: February 20, 2024, 12:14:21 PM »

ICV remains their best post-Watershed record (IMO) very excited for where they go from here
I would agree with this - with Pale Communion a close second.

Offline Kocak

« Reply #1760 on: February 20, 2024, 12:25:06 PM »

Eternal Rains Will Come is still one of my favourite album openers. Amazing track.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1761 on: February 20, 2024, 03:00:56 PM »

Agree with both

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1762 on: February 20, 2024, 08:33:39 PM »

You'd be surprised to know how many professional musicians actually have no interest in the general music landscape. A surprisingly small number of them are actually up to date on what's goes on in the industry. I.e. MP is an outlier when it comes to being that dialled in.

And I don't know much about Ian's tastes, but if he was the type who didn't like harsh vocals, Opeth wouldn't even have been something to interest him at all until a bit over a decade ago. 

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1763 on: March 07, 2024, 08:21:03 AM »
I recently came around to The Baying of the Hounds. Probably one of my favorite Opeth songs now. I never disliked it or anything, but I think the beginning of the song is maybe the weakest part, so I was tuning out early. That outro though... :hefdaddy
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1764 on: March 07, 2024, 08:36:42 AM »
I recently came around to The Baying of the Hounds. Probably one of my favorite Opeth songs now. I never disliked it or anything, but I think the beginning of the song is maybe the weakest part, so I was tuning out early. That outro though... :hefdaddy
That song is awesome.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1765 on: March 07, 2024, 08:42:37 AM »
I recently came around to The Baying of the Hounds. Probably one of my favorite Opeth songs now. I never disliked it or anything, but I think the beginning of the song is maybe the weakest part, so I was tuning out early.

Oh come on now, "I hear them devouring....fresh-made tacos of the earth" is clearly the best part. 

Offline emtee

« Reply #1766 on: March 07, 2024, 09:07:00 AM »
Ghost Reveries represents the single biggest one-eighty of any album in my life. I was new to this genre of music but the people at MP's forum kept raving about Opeth...so I bought GR. First couple minutes and WHAM, I felt like pure evil was pumping out of my speakers. The music though...was beautiful. So I ended up giving my CD to a member, DTD was his handle. Then everybody said, "try Damnation" so I did. And I loved it. Couple weeks later I bought GR for the second time and from then on, I was hooked.

I still don't love the lyrical content so I try not to pat attention to it. But GR is among my top 3 metal albums of all time now.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1767 on: March 07, 2024, 09:14:06 AM »
Ghost Reveries is possibly a top 10 all time album for me (or very close) so I obviously adore everything about it. The Baying of the Hounds is not often a song that springs to my mind as a favourite, but it is awesome.

As with every song on the album, it's filled with twists and turns, contrasts from heavy to light and changes in pace. I think of all Opeth's albums I love Ghost Reveries the most because of their mastery of these contrasts.

As for favourite bits, the "Everything you believed is a lie" part, as well as the solo just before the 7 minute mark. Yea, just an incredible song.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1768 on: March 07, 2024, 09:18:38 AM »
The headphone jack in my MP3 player wore out and only outputted audio on one side, so for a month or two of the fall '05 semester before I could save enough for a replacement I went back to my portable CD player on campus, and almost exclusively went back and forth between listening to Ghost Reveries, and Nevermore's This Godless Endeavor

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1769 on: March 07, 2024, 10:42:33 AM »
I hope the production will be any good on their new record. In Cauda Venenum sounds very harsh and unpleasant to my ears.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1770 on: March 07, 2024, 10:45:32 AM »
I hope the production will be any good on their new record. In Cauda Venenum sounds very harsh and unpleasant to my ears.

Every album since Heritage has sounded incredibly "brown", if that makes any sense. :lol Especially the last two.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1771 on: March 07, 2024, 10:47:40 AM »
I recently came around to The Baying of the Hounds. Probably one of my favorite Opeth songs now. I never disliked it or anything, but I think the beginning of the song is maybe the weakest part, so I was tuning out early.

Oh come on now, "I hear them devouring....fresh-made tacos of the earth" is clearly the best part.
DIABOLICAL BEANS!!!!

Yeah that song is great, favorite from the album.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2024, 11:12:20 AM by Lonk »
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1772 on: March 07, 2024, 11:11:03 AM »

Every album since Heritage has sounded incredibly "brown", if that makes any sense. :lol Especially the last two.
Yeah they need to go back to great-sounding records. Sorceress in particular sounds dreadful. But GR is one of the most well mixed and best sounding metal albums ever. One of the many reasons why it’s my favorite!

Offline Kram

« Reply #1773 on: March 07, 2024, 11:20:10 AM »
Ghost Reveries is possibly a top 10 all time album for me (or very close) so I obviously adore everything about it. The Baying of the Hounds is not often a song that springs to my mind as a favourite, but it is awesome.

As with every song on the album, it's filled with twists and turns, contrasts from heavy to light and changes in pace. I think of all Opeth's albums I love Ghost Reveries the most because of their mastery of these contrasts.

As for favourite bits, the "Everything you believed is a lie" part, as well as the solo just before the 7 minute mark. Yea, just an incredible song.
Ghost Reveries is definitely in my Top 10 albums of all time and is my favorite Opeth album.  Everything about Ghost Reveries KICKS ASS!

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #1774 on: March 08, 2024, 06:18:46 AM »

Ghost Reveries is definitely in my Top 10 albums of all time and is my favorite Opeth album.  Everything about Ghost Reveries KICKS ASS!
I was watching an Opeth podcast recently where they were ranking the albums. MP was randomly there and he described Ghost Reveries as a fusion of Deliverance and Damnation. I was like... Huh, never thought of it that way, but it makes perfect sense. Great album!
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1775 on: March 08, 2024, 06:25:41 AM »
Oh, I feel an Opeth kick coming on!

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1776 on: March 08, 2024, 06:59:42 AM »
This thread inspired me to pop on Ghost Reveries. First time in a while. What an album. Light years ahead of anything that came after it. The music is actually interesting!
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1777 on: March 08, 2024, 07:11:30 AM »
Great to see the love for Ghost Reveries, that's my favourite Opeth album. Feels like a lot of focus goes towards Blackwater Park otherwise, but not enough to GR.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1778 on: March 08, 2024, 07:31:54 AM »
Great to see the love for Ghost Reveries, that's my favourite Opeth album. Feels like a lot of focus goes towards Blackwater Park otherwise, but not enough to GR.
Well said, couldn’t agree more. It’s a masterpiece just as much as BwP in my personal opinion. The stars aligned for them on that one.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1779 on: March 08, 2024, 07:36:55 AM »
I don't want to be the one asshole that ruins the GR praise parade, but I'll just say that Watershed hits the same appeal as GR while also being more varied, interesting, and exciting.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1780 on: March 08, 2024, 08:21:24 AM »
I don't want to be the one asshole that ruins the GR praise parade, but I'll just say that Watershed hits the same appeal as GR while also being more varied, interesting, and exciting.

I wouldn't say Watershed is more varied, interesting, and exciting, but as my second favourite Opeth album I'd say it's almost as varied, interesting, and exciting.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1781 on: March 08, 2024, 08:48:37 AM »
I still like WS a lot, but it just feels "off" to me, like Mike's jadedness with extreme metal is starting to seep in, and it doesn't have the same atmosphere as their earlier material. 

I was watching an Opeth podcast recently where they were ranking the albums. MP was randomly there and he described Ghost Reveries as a fusion of Deliverance and Damnation. I was like... Huh, never thought of it that way, but it makes perfect sense. Great album!

It works in the other direction too.  The intention was to sort of split their sound from BWP in half, with an album focusing more heavily on each side of them.  That whole four album run of BWP-GR is easily their peak for me. 

Offline Kram

« Reply #1782 on: March 08, 2024, 10:30:23 AM »
OK, here we go (again) lol

1. Ghost Reveries
2. Blackwater Park
3. Watershed
4. Deliverance
5. Still Life
6. Damnation
7. In Cauda Venenum
8. Pale Communion