Poll

What are your three favorite Opeth records?

Orchid
7 (1.1%)
Morningrise
15 (2.3%)
My Arms, Your Hearse
26 (4%)
Still Life
81 (12.3%)
Blackwater Park
161 (24.5%)
Deliverance
43 (6.5%)
Damnation
53 (8.1%)
Ghost Reveries
152 (23.1%)
Watershed
66 (10%)
Heritage
21 (3.2%)
Pale Communion
32 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 224

Voting closed: June 13, 2020, 08:32:34 AM

Author Topic: The official Opeth thread v. In Cauda Venenum  (Read 178384 times)

Offline Kram

Re: The official Opeth thread v. In Cauda Venenum
« Reply #1715 on: March 30, 2022, 12:24:14 PM »
Yeah, it feels lazy.  I get that you can't force creativity, but when you see how some artists were crazy productive in the last two years with all of the downtime, it really stands out when you see bands like Opeth, Haken, etc. who seemingly sat on their asses and did nothing new instead of taking advantage of all of the free time.

Well for a start Haken has finished writing their next album, and Mikael has been busy writing the score for a Netflix show. Doesn’t scream laziness to me  ::)
This may be true, but us Opeth fans want a new Opeth album!  We could care less about some Netflix show.  Just being honest.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1716 on: March 30, 2022, 12:37:39 PM »
I consider myself a pretty big Opeth fan and I can't say I'm really itching for new albums. Heritage onwards aren't bad albums but we're past the point of "omg can't wait for a new album" and onto "they are releasing another album, i guess i'll check it out". But I know for some others it's the reverse. :D

Offline Kram

« Reply #1717 on: March 30, 2022, 12:40:45 PM »
I consider myself a pretty big Opeth fan and I can't say I'm really itching for new albums. Heritage onwards aren't bad albums but we're past the point of "omg can't wait for a new album" and onto "they are releasing another album, i guess i'll check it out". But I know for some others it's the reverse. :D
I basically agree, but I'm still holding out hope they change directions once again.  Maybe not back to the "Classic" Opeth sound, but something different nevertheless that will hold my interest.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1718 on: March 30, 2022, 12:57:25 PM »
I basically agree, but I'm still holding out hope they change directions once again.  Maybe not back to the "Classic" Opeth sound, but something different nevertheless that will hold my interest.

I think they've done fantastic songs in the past without harsh vocals or leaning a bit less on the death metal influence (a fair judgement and face of melinda are 2 examples) so I wouldn't mind something that has more of the modern sound but goes in that direction. For me it's the 70s retro aesthetic/sound that drags it down.

Offline Kram

« Reply #1719 on: March 30, 2022, 01:22:41 PM »

I think they've done fantastic songs in the past without harsh vocals or leaning a bit less on the death metal influence (a fair judgement and face of melinda are 2 examples) so I wouldn't mind something that has more of the modern sound but goes in that direction. For me it's the 70s retro aesthetic/sound that drags it down.
I 100% agree, I'm very tired of the 70's retro sound at this point.  Just go back to Watershed and songs like Burden, Porcelain Heart and Hex Omega.  These songs had clean vocals and a more modern prog type sound to them.  I'd be up for something along those lines.

Online faizoff

« Reply #1720 on: May 06, 2022, 12:38:46 PM »
Mikael Akerfeldt composed the soundtrack to a Netflix Series called 'Clark'

I'm curious to watch it as it's apparently about the origins of the 'Stockholm Syndrome'.

I did check out some of the tracks and seems like a progression of In Cauda Venenum. Should be a fun listen as I'm really into TV and Movie scores.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1721 on: May 06, 2022, 01:20:45 PM »

I'm curious to watch it as it's apparently about the origins of the 'Stockholm Syndrome'.

I did check out some of the tracks and seems like a progression of In Cauda Venenum. Should be a fun listen as I'm really into TV and Movie scores.

I gave it a listen last night. It's not bad and a lot of it could fit on an Opeth album. Not sure I'd give many repeated listens but I should probably at least try and watch the show to see how it compliment the series.

Offline emtee

« Reply #1722 on: May 06, 2022, 02:12:26 PM »
Timely bump.

Just finished spinning The Roundhouse Tapes. Man, nobody does transitions from brutal to ethereal like Opeth. The heavy is the most head banging rifftastic and drumtastic imaginable and the mellow ethereal is beautiful and emotional. They are the kings. I also love hearing modern, live takes on early material that suffers from sonic quality...new life is brought to those songs.

Just an incredible and moving band. They take you on a journey.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1723 on: May 15, 2022, 01:19:07 PM »

I gave it a listen last night. It's not bad and a lot of it could fit on an Opeth album. Not sure I'd give many repeated listens but I should probably at least try and watch the show to see how it compliment the series.
Had no idea Mikael did the OST until I saw him in the actual show and was like WTF that's.... had to check it out and yes, it all made sense now given the music actually sounded a bit familiar.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online faizoff

« Reply #1724 on: May 16, 2022, 02:07:10 PM »
I just finished listening to the soundtrack, MA sings on a few songs. The whole soundtrack is like a homage to 70s and 80s movie soundtracks with more 70s stuff than 80s. It's was an enjoyable listen, I might order the CD version of it.

I am now curious about the show and debating on starting it.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1725 on: May 16, 2022, 03:36:18 PM »
I find Mikael to have a very pleasant clean singing voice, it also seems he got better at that in recent years as his focus shifted. Looked up some recent Opeth live clips and he sounds great.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1726 on: July 21, 2022, 08:57:09 AM »

On writing the soundtrack to CLARK, ÅKERFELDT notes: “Writing the music for CLARK is probably one of the most rewarding things I’ve done musically. It was so fun. Challenging, but fun. I wanted to do a good job of course, and provide music that would fit with the rather bizarre tale of Clark Olofsson. I had to conjure up a sound for him. His sound. It’s all in my head I guess, but it felt like I was on to something after having finished the first track. The immediate feedback from Jonas Åkerlund was almost overly positive. So I just took it from there. During the pandemic I wrote so much music for this project, but I like to think I didn’t stray too much from the "original sound of Clark". The finished soundtrack record is a downright wish-mash of musical styles. Some sounds I’m familiar with. Other sounds were brand new to me. Or old, depending on how you see it. Brand ”old”? The album doesn’t really make musical sense at all, and that’s pretty much the purpose. Writing music to portray the multi-faceted story of a man like Clark Olofsson was bound to generate some type of musical insanity. It (the music) is just all over the place. Oddly enough, so is my own personal taste in music. Even if many would deem Clark "a man insane", it really helped me in my work. No boundaries (let’s cross them). No rules (let’s break them). Anything goes….”

ABOUT CLARK
Clark is a Swedish-language series directed by Jonas Åkerlund from scripts written by Fredrik Agetoft, Peter Arrhenius and Jonas Åkerlund. It’s based on the life and career of Sweden’s most infamous bank robber, Clark Olofsson. He’s also credited as the man behind the expression “The Stockholm syndrome.”

CLARK (SOUNDTRACK FROM THE NETFLIX FILM)
TRACKLISTING –
0.    Libertine Theme
1.    Tango Bizarre
2.    Druglord Panic
3.    Rockefellers
4.    Vintage Modern
5.    Wish You Were There
6.    The Weak Heart
7.    Happiness
8.    Ode to Confusion in A Minor
9.    La Shay' Jadid Taht Alshams
10.    The Real Me
11.    Here's That Sunny Day
12.    Perfect Horizon
13.    Sea Slumber
14.    Then
15.    The Hunted Are in the Clear
16.    Northern Hemispheres
17.    Ordinary Folks
18.    Distant Spring
19.    Funky Chicken
20.    Code to the Vault
21.    Two Mermaids
22.    Rags to Riches
23.    Sunrise
24.    Red & White
25.    Headfirst Into The Storm
26.    Ballad of the Libertine in G Minor
27.    Lost in San Marino *
28.    Rhodes Rat
29.    Måndag i Stockholm *
30.    Mother of One
31.    Vielleicht Später *
32.    Battle For Love *
33.    Night Life
* vocals

The albums cones out tomorrow.

Online faizoff

« Reply #1727 on: July 21, 2022, 09:18:03 AM »
I think the CDs come out tomorrow. The soundtrack has been streaming for a while. Still haven't watched the show yet.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1728 on: July 21, 2022, 05:27:02 PM »
I see the show reviewed well. And it seems it is a limited series (so a full arc and no chance for cancelflix to do their thing)? I am interested in giving it a go, but the list of series I want to watch is getting long  :lol

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1729 on: September 13, 2022, 12:56:40 AM »
Opeth announces their new drummer.

"Swedish progressive metal legends Opeth have announced that Waltteri Väyrynen (Bloodbath, ex-Paradise Lost, Bodom After Midnight) as their new drummer, Blabbermouth reports. Väyrynen will make his live debut with Opeth this Wednesday (September 14th) in Tallinn, Estonia. He is the replacement of stand-in drummer Sami Karppinen, who had been the temporary replacement for Martin "Axe" Axenrot since the fall of last year".

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/opeth_recruit_new_drummer_waltteri_vyrynen.html
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1730 on: September 13, 2022, 01:22:31 AM »
Next week both Opeth and Soen will be in Vienna, on two consecutive days. I think I will go to both concerts. I don’t know a lot about Soen, but I am excited to see them!  :metal

I wonder if Martin Lopez and Opeth will meet to have a little chat?
any rock can be made to roll

Offline emtee

« Reply #1731 on: September 13, 2022, 03:47:23 AM »
Had no idea Axe left Opeth. I had to Google the headlines to find out why. The age old creative differences of opinion.

He did a fine job and will be missed. His performance on The Roundhouse Tapes is great. Excellent snare sound too.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1732 on: September 13, 2022, 04:17:21 AM »
Didn't know that either. But haven't followed Opeth closely for the last couple of years.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1733 on: September 13, 2022, 06:52:59 AM »
Axe didn’t want the vaxx…why he left.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1734 on: November 13, 2022, 09:58:56 PM »
Had no idea they were doing an Evolution XXX tour. I saw a YouTube video pop up in my feed for Black Rose Immortal and it looked recent which confused me. Checking the setlist and they are playing the song, and in its entirety. Frankly, the whole setlist is pretty nice. Would love to have seen this tour. Looks like they swapped out a song for a different one between the first and second nights.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline billboy73

« Reply #1735 on: November 14, 2022, 12:07:27 PM »
They finally played Black Rose Immortal!  All the fans clamoring for it can rest easy now.  Never been a huge fan of that song, but  it's cool to see them finally bust it out.  Would love to see that setlist live though.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1736 on: November 14, 2022, 01:40:46 PM »
Ooo...Now that's a setlist I would enjoy a lot.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline DTA

« Reply #1737 on: November 14, 2022, 03:36:35 PM »
Wow, they actually changed up the setlist a bit (though I can't figure out why Sorceress is completely ignored other than the title track).

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1738 on: November 15, 2022, 10:03:03 AM »
Wow, they actually changed up the setlist a bit (though I can't figure out why Sorceress is completely ignored other than the title track).

From what I saw online, this is a fan-requested setlist where they are playing only one song from every album, as voted on by the fans. 

I discovered Opeth in the late 90's with Morningrise and dug it for a time.  But I moved onto other bands.  I tried Blackwater Park about 7 years ago and felt the same, I just couldn't get into them.

Having seen the clip of them playing Black Rose Immortal, I listened to the song in full and really got into it.  Now I'm giving their heavier albums a spin and am happy to have finally gotten more into the band after finding them 20 years ago.   :metal

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1739 on: November 15, 2022, 10:24:08 AM »
I actually voted on their setlist request thing, it seems they really made work of it. Unfortunately I cannot make it to a show of theirs this tour, but it was cool they did such a thing. Hopefully they will make a live recording.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1740 on: November 21, 2022, 04:00:38 AM »
Went to their show last minute this weekend. Glad I did.

Truly great performance! Mikeals growls have definitely improved over the last couple of years and his clean vocals are just superb. He was into it, even did a nice growl in Devil's Orchard. The lightshow/stage design is second to none in my opinion, was really suprised by how immersive the stage was. And offcourse the entire band played (and sung) well.

I don't really enjoy early Opeth as the production is not my taste and his earlier high pitched growling doesn't do it for me. But live a track like Black Rose Immortal is a fantastic experience. I really hope they record this one.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #1741 on: November 29, 2022, 07:39:29 PM »
I am just getting into Opeth. My son has been trying for months (after we heard Opeth about a year ago on some random DT made playlist). I was struggling with the growling. But, I was on YouTube a few weekends ago, thinking I would watch some music and thought. "Hmm, what is Opeth like live?". I landed on Garden of the Titans. That did it. MA has a wonderful voice and he is quite interesting to listen to. The music has very cool and odd sounds and I can take a few growls now. ;D. How fun to Finally...find a band that can divert me from DT for a bit.

Offline Kram

« Reply #1742 on: November 30, 2022, 11:54:54 AM »
I am just getting into Opeth. My son has been trying for months (after we heard Opeth about a year ago on some random DT made playlist). I was struggling with the growling. But, I was on YouTube a few weekends ago, thinking I would watch some music and thought. "Hmm, what is Opeth like live?". I landed on Garden of the Titans. That did it. MA has a wonderful voice and he is quite interesting to listen to. The music has very cool and odd sounds and I can take a few growls now. ;D. How fun to Finally...find a band that can divert me from DT for a bit.
Glad to hear they finally "clicked" for you.  It took me several years to get into them as I didn't really "get" them at first (didn't like the growling at first, love it now). Now they're one of my favorite bands of all time!  Enjoy the journey..

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #1743 on: November 30, 2022, 11:58:08 AM »
Glad to hear they finally "clicked" for you.  It took me several years to get into them as I didn't really "get" them at first (didn't like the growling at first, love it now). Now they're one of my favorite bands of all time!  Enjoy the journey..

The journey is so fun. I had that journey with DT in 2016! The best musical time ever in my life!

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1744 on: March 17, 2023, 06:03:18 AM »
Just seem this post on the Opeth reddit. I love that Mikael used to interact with the fans in this way back then.

Also, is it even possible to read these posts of Mikael's without hearing his voice?  :lol

The last picture references Samsara. Is that our very own Samsara?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Opeth/comments/11t4koj/once_upon_a_time_there_was_an_opeth_forum_where/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android_app&utm_name=androidcss&utm_term=1&utm_content =share_button

Offline DTA

« Reply #1745 on: March 17, 2023, 07:32:49 AM »
Someone mentioned in the comments that Mikael said he didn't like Moonlapse Vertigo... :omg:

Musicians opinions about their own music never fails to shock me

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1746 on: March 17, 2023, 08:33:28 AM »
Someone mentioned in the comments that Mikael said he didn't like Moonlapse Vertigo... :omg:

Musicians opinions about their own music never fails to shock me
I’ve always thought Akerfeldt was more harsh on his own work than the average artist though

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1747 on: March 17, 2023, 08:50:25 AM »
I mean, I just love the dry way that Mikael talks about anything and everything. But because of that, I'd take some of the things he says about Operh with a pinch of salt. He may well dislike Moonlapse Vertigo though.

Offline Kram

« Reply #1748 on: March 17, 2023, 06:00:00 PM »
I mean, I just love the dry way that Mikael talks about anything and everything. But because of that, I'd take some of the things he says about Operh with a pinch of salt. He may well dislike Moonlapse Vertigo though.
:loser: This for sure

Offline Kocak

« Reply #1749 on: November 15, 2023, 11:11:47 AM »
Lost music video for Windowpane. Nostalgic vibes indeed.

https://youtu.be/juxHzSlMbNQ