Poll

What are your three favorite Opeth records?

Orchid
7 (1.1%)
Morningrise
15 (2.3%)
My Arms, Your Hearse
26 (4%)
Still Life
81 (12.3%)
Blackwater Park
161 (24.5%)
Deliverance
43 (6.5%)
Damnation
53 (8.1%)
Ghost Reveries
152 (23.1%)
Watershed
66 (10%)
Heritage
21 (3.2%)
Pale Communion
32 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 224

Voting closed: June 13, 2020, 08:32:34 AM

Author Topic: The official Opeth thread v. In Cauda Venenum  (Read 180985 times)

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Re: The official Opeth thread v. In Cauda Venenum forthcoming
« Reply #1470 on: October 01, 2019, 07:35:37 AM »
I agree with much of what Zantera said earlier. I find it more and more hard to be wowed by modern prog these days, particularly the brand of 70's prog revivalism/worship. Those sounds and those ideas have been played out and covered before, often by extraordinary artists and releases, so retreading that ground just seems reductive to me. I don't think this style of prog is the worst thing in the world or anything, but I find it far more interesting when a band can take those ideas and meld them with contemporary influences, or just do something altogether new with them. Opeth scratched that very itch for me with their blend of death metal vocals and folk-inspired prog instrumentation. That was a sound largely their own, and what stood them apart from other shades of prog and technical metal.

All of that said though, I do like what I'm hearing off this new album. It's not blowing me away, but there's plenty of good moments that really make this worth revisiting. I've only heard the English version once so far, but I definitely prefer the Swedish one, as the singing sounds a lot more natural and fitted (as to be expected).

I'll have to give it a few more listens, but I think this is their most successful out of the 4 post-Watershed albums.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1471 on: October 01, 2019, 02:16:26 PM »
Well I tried. The Opeth I knew and loved died with Watershed. I just do not enjoy the vast majority of post watershed Opeth. This will be the last Opeth album I buy.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1472 on: October 01, 2019, 06:00:52 PM »
Of what I heard so far. I'm loving it. I'm finding this better than Pale Communion and a bit better than Sorceress.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1473 on: October 02, 2019, 01:18:09 AM »
I've had my problems with In Cauda at the first few listens, but by now I love it. It's more complex than Sorceress and darker than Pale Communion (in my opinion). And I definitely prefer the Swedish version. Let's see how I manage to sing along during the concert in Nuremberg in November :D

Oh and Minnets yta?? What a haunting song  :metal
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1474 on: October 02, 2019, 04:54:08 AM »
A few spins in and it's a good album but falls more in line with the last 3 albums than the earlier (and imo better) albums. The swedish version does give it some uniqueness though.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1475 on: October 02, 2019, 06:15:12 AM »
I'm surprised by how much I like this album, given that I wasn't too crazy about Sorceress. My favorites at the moment are Heart in hand, The Garroter and Dignity. Next of kin is also growing on me, that one is surprisingly sinister. Most of the remaining songs have a whole bunch of highlights and interesting moments (the last two minutes on All things will pass are breathtaking), although they may not be great as a whole. The only song I'm not getting into is Universal truth.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1476 on: October 02, 2019, 07:35:00 AM »
Weird album for me. Starts off very strong and then the quality (at least for me) tapers off around halfway. Absolutely love Mikael's vocals on this album. I would put it in just below Pale Communion compared to the last 4 albums (PC, INV, Sorceress, Heritage).

I get the growling aspect and why MA doesn't want to do it, but would love to hear the Deliverance/Ghost Rev/Watershed heavy guitars with the current vocal style. The Opeth dynamics are still there but not the heavy balls to the wall sound.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1477 on: October 02, 2019, 11:15:19 AM »
Well I tried. The Opeth I knew and loved died with Watershed. I just do not enjoy the vast majority of post watershed Opeth. This will be the last Opeth album I buy.

Yikes. Have you been buying Opeth albums all these years after Watershed?
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1478 on: October 02, 2019, 11:39:27 AM »
I like Ghost Reveries for some reason, and that was before I liked harsh vocals. Since, I haven't had a chance to go back.

My other complaint was that I didn't like Ackerfeldt's clean voice, but interestingly enough, on this new album, his vocals are so much improved.

You should check out Damnation, the older, clean record. His voice is lovely there.

I always thought his clean singing was great.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1479 on: October 02, 2019, 11:59:02 AM »
OPETH will make their awaited return to North America in 2020 for a winter tour with labelmates Graveyard. This will be the band’s first tour of the U.S.A. and Canada in support of their newly released, critically praised album, “In Cauda Venenum,” that is available now via Moderbolaget Records / Nuclear Blast. The dates include two nights at the legendary Apollo Theater in New York and performances at the renowned Ryman Auditorium in Nashville and at the famed Hollywood Palladium in Los Angeles.

Tickets will sell fast, beginning 10:00AM Local Time Friday, October 4th at www.opeth.com/tour-dates.

OPETH’s chief songwriter, vocalist and guitarist Mikael Åkerfeldt comments on the tour, “Well, after having had the ”In Cauda Venenum” LP released we’re set to start touring in support of it. Right now, I’m at home practicing. Learning new songs and re-learning older songs. It’s funny how our music lies dormant in the muscle memory. There are songs I haven’t played for years, and there still there somehow. I put together the skeleton of a setlist and looking at it there’s some niceties in there. I hope. Hard to tell really. Touring in North America is always a treat. We all collectively look forward to it. Hope you are too!"

Feb 13 - Agora Theatre - Cleveland, OH
Feb 14 - The Riviera Theatre - Chicago, IL
Feb 15 - Royal Oak Music Theatre - Royal Oak, MI
Feb 17 - The Palladium - Worcester, MA
Feb 18 - MTelus - Montreal, QC
Feb 19 - Rebel - Toronto, ON
Feb 21 - Apollo Theater - New York, NY
Feb 22 - Apollo Theater - New York, NY
Feb 23 - The Fillmore Silver Spring - Silver Spring, MD
Feb 25 - Egyptian Room at Old National Centre - Indianapolis, IN
Feb 26 - Ryman Auditorium - Nashville, TN*
Feb 28 - House of Blues - Houston, TX
Feb 29 - The Pavilion at Toyota Music Factory - Irving , TX
Mar 01 - Arvest Bank Theatre at The Midland - Kansas City, MO*
Mar 02 - The Mission Ballroom - Denver, CO
Mar 04 - Hollywood Palladium - Los Angeles, CA

Graveyard support on all dates except *

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1480 on: October 02, 2019, 12:10:26 PM »
2 dates in NY, interesting. I guess I should go to the second night.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #1481 on: October 02, 2019, 12:14:37 PM »
I will be at the Nashville show at the Ryman.  Mastodon played the Ryman a few years ago.  Those church pew seats will be a bitch.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1482 on: October 02, 2019, 01:36:27 PM »
There are some interesting parts on the album (particularly on the first couple of tracks) but I echo what others have said in regards to the growls. I could live without them if their musical sound was still interesting to me. I like MA's voice, but this type of prog is boring and sound pretentious to my ears.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1483 on: October 03, 2019, 04:39:44 PM »
So this album's actually kinda great; consider me pleasantly surprised. Heritage is still probably my favorite of their post-Watershed material, but this album comes pretty close. I enjoy the more consistent heaviness, and the thick gothic atmosphere it's got going on. There's hardly any duds either: I find The Garroter and to a lesser extent Lovelorn Crime to be a bit boring and longer than they should be, and Universal Truth is too all-over the place for me and the falsetto vocals in the chorus sound pretty bad, but apart from that all the other songs get a thumbs up from me.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1484 on: October 03, 2019, 07:50:26 PM »
New album is sounding great so far; love the vibe.  I doubt it will top Pale Communion as far as being my favorite Opeth record of this 10's, but this is definitely a major upgrade from Sorceress.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1485 on: October 18, 2019, 12:43:58 AM »
Did The Simpsons inspire the Watershed cover art? :P

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1486 on: October 25, 2019, 05:33:30 AM »
Finally managed to scribble down some thoughts on In Cauda Venenum: https://www.musicalypse.net/2019-opeth-in-cauda-venenum-english/

In short: it rocks.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1487 on: October 28, 2019, 12:22:34 PM »
This album grabs me more and more everyday and I can't stop listening to it. I'm bound to say this might be my favourite album of the "new" Opeth era.
I will also say that the album includes so many details and layers, it's best heard with headphones I think.

Sidenote: it's really cool hearing a prog rock album of this calibre being sung in your native tongue.

Favourites so far:

Svekets Prins
Hjärtat vet vad handen gör
Minnets yta (the solo is magical)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 12:47:57 PM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

• DTF.org Member
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1489 on: October 29, 2019, 05:34:16 PM »
First setlist of the tour for those interested. Spoiler alert: It’s amazing!

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/opeth/2019/nick-rayns-lcr-uea-norwich-england-2b9dc02a.html

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1490 on: October 29, 2019, 05:59:23 PM »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1491 on: October 29, 2019, 08:25:24 PM »
Very nice set list, and well balanced. 3 new songs, nothing from Sorceress and then 1 each from the eight albums prior (Still Life through Pale Communion).

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1492 on: October 29, 2019, 08:27:26 PM »
So looking forward to seeing them live for the 1st time in February. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1493 on: October 30, 2019, 02:14:10 AM »
That's one awesome set list.  :metal

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #1494 on: October 30, 2019, 06:59:23 AM »
That is a really nice set list. I'm also really digging the new album, it's a lot more consistent than Sorceress in my opinion. Favorite songs as of now are Dignity, Next of Kin and All Things Will Pass. I still haven't listened to the entire Swedish version yet, but my initial impression was that Mikael's vocals sound even better, which of course makes sense if the lyrics were originally written in Swedish.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1495 on: October 30, 2019, 12:32:39 PM »
My impressions after 3 listens:
Different language doesn't matter much to me, Akerfeldt sounds fine either way and the music is 90% of why I'm here
Even-numbered tracks are almost all or are entirely all superior to odd-numbered tracks. Track 4 is the best one, I'm feeling.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1496 on: October 30, 2019, 01:02:27 PM »
Even-numbered tracks are almost all or are entirely all superior to odd-numbered tracks.

Hah, that's funny. With the exceptions of Heart In Hand (and Continuum, which I like but is probably closer to the bottom ranking-wise), I agree with you.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1497 on: October 30, 2019, 01:04:57 PM »
Yeah Heart in Hand is the exception, that one is rad

Honestly tracks 2-6 is all a good run and then the rest kinda meander/lose me a bit

Continuum is probably the most forgettable track here, as in, I don't remember what it sounds like atm

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1498 on: November 01, 2019, 05:35:55 AM »
Continuum is probably the most forgettable track here, as in, I don't remember what it sounds like atm
I have to say the section at 4:50 and onwards in Continuum is lovely especially with the background vocals.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1499 on: November 16, 2019, 03:51:50 AM »
So I saw Opeth last night in Nürnberg. We had front row seats. The sound was absolutely perfect, the band played well together and, man, is Mikael Akerfeld from this world???

At the end, the master had mercy with us:

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1500 on: December 15, 2019, 07:49:15 AM »
I'm a bit disappointed that the magnificent chord progression (F#m-Bm-C-A-Am-Ab-Cm-F#) near the beginning of Dignity only seems to appear there.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1501 on: December 15, 2019, 08:41:23 AM »
I always felt like Akerfeldt's composing style is more "linear" than f.e. Morse's or (at times) Wilson's. He doesn't reprise themes as often. I sometimes find that a pity too, but I got used to it :)

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1502 on: December 15, 2019, 08:55:54 AM »
That is very true, especially with his earliest works. In one interview, he compared his music to movies, where you wouldn't expect scenes to be repeating.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1503 on: December 15, 2019, 02:39:29 PM »
Saw the band on Saturday night at the State Theatre in Sydney. I wasn't going to bother, but a mate got a freebie ticket so I went along.
Probably the best performance from Opeth out of the 4 times I have seen them over the years.
The sound was amazing, crystal clear, not too loud and my ears were not ringing afterwards.
MA was in great form, his banter with the audience was hilarious, I'd pay to see him do stand up comedy.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1504 on: December 16, 2019, 03:24:03 AM »
Saw the band on Saturday night at the State Theatre in Sydney. I wasn't going to bother, but a mate got a freebie ticket so I went along.
Probably the best performance from Opeth out of the 4 times I have seen them over the years.
The sound was amazing, crystal clear, not too loud and my ears were not ringing afterwards.
MA was in great form, his banter with the audience was hilarious, I'd pay to see him do stand up comedy.

100% - I never thought he would have such a weird humour until I saw him live  :lol

On another note: I found Blackwater Park on vinyl in Vienna 4 days ago. I have been listening to nothing but this album for days now. Holy shit, it's haunting! I don't know if I'm the only one with this, but I think it perfectly fits the winter season. It's sinister, dark and heavy - but not too heavy and the growls don't feel overwhelming but are just a part of the overall sound, as are the clean vocals. Steven Wilson's influence is also clearly audible. Akerfeldt and Wilson make an awesome duo.

I might continue with a Deliverance/Damnation binge, since I found that triple-LP set online a few weeks back (it's not easy to find anymore).
I'm loving this band more and more, especially their "not-earlier-not-later"-albums Blackwater Park up to Watershed.