Poll

What are your three favorite Opeth records?

Orchid
7 (1.1%)
Morningrise
15 (2.3%)
My Arms, Your Hearse
26 (4%)
Still Life
81 (12.3%)
Blackwater Park
161 (24.5%)
Deliverance
43 (6.5%)
Damnation
53 (8.1%)
Ghost Reveries
152 (23.1%)
Watershed
66 (10%)
Heritage
21 (3.2%)
Pale Communion
32 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 224

Voting closed: June 13, 2020, 08:32:34 AM

Author Topic: The official Opeth thread v. In Cauda Venenum  (Read 180840 times)

me7 and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline NoFred

Re: The official Opeth thread v. In Cauda Venenum forthcoming
« Reply #1435 on: September 27, 2019, 09:43:34 PM »
To me this is a Sorceress evolved, I like it muddy like ADTOE (different band) but doesn’t make me think Ian Anderson is in the band. TS was too literally 70s. I feel if I could merge ICV with BP that would be special.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1436 on: September 28, 2019, 04:10:53 AM »
Very impressed with my first listen (Swedish Version) in the car last night. Sounds like a metal band doing prog rock - in a very good way. Easily their best of the 'new era', and this is after just one listen in. It's amazing how Opeth can change their sound pretty drastically and still have it sound like Opeth. Looking forward to the show in november!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #1437 on: September 28, 2019, 10:22:27 AM »
I'm not an Opeth fan, but I liked the songwriting on Pale Communion, so I guess the new album is in that vein? (judging from what you've posted as of now)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #1438 on: September 29, 2019, 11:16:58 AM »
Lovelorn Crime is a stunning song.

Offline Bentower

« Reply #1439 on: September 29, 2019, 12:23:14 PM »
I'm loving the album, more and more. It's a bold chunk with some real meat around its bones.

In other news, Mikael gives the 'why won't you growl' question a fair shake: https://youtu.be/Oj5IrsHzeno
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline fps

« Reply #1440 on: September 29, 2019, 12:46:41 PM »
More people have voted Pale Communion than My Arms, Your Hearse. I can't even. One is so epic, so pitch black, so emotive, so dense. The other is so derivative, so mellow, so toothless.
DEATH APE DISCO DEBUT ALBUM STREAMING IN FULL -------------------> https://deathapedisco.bandcamp.com/
Like Clutch, Down, Alice In Chains? \m/

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1441 on: September 29, 2019, 01:10:31 PM »
I like Pale Communion. *shrug*
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1442 on: September 29, 2019, 01:32:55 PM »
More people have voted Pale Communion than My Arms, Your Hearse. I can't even. One is so epic, so pitch black, so emotive, so dense. The other is so derivative, so mellow, so toothless.

I agree. MYAH is pretty forgettable.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #1443 on: September 29, 2019, 01:59:08 PM »
I like to think that Pale Communion is somewhat reminiscent of Deep Purple in some ways, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #1444 on: September 29, 2019, 02:01:07 PM »

Yes! Lovelorn Crime is an incredible piece of music and one of Opeth's best ballads to date

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #1445 on: September 29, 2019, 03:25:31 PM »

Great atmosphere on this song and love the guitar tone and solo at the end. 
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Rob24

« Reply #1446 on: September 30, 2019, 02:39:04 AM »
I like to think that Pale Communion is somewhat reminiscent of Deep Purple in some ways, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I don't really think that's a good thing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1447 on: September 30, 2019, 05:53:07 AM »
IMO:
Watershed > Damnation > Pale Communion > Blackwater > new record

5th favorite Opeth album currently. I can see it topping BWP for me but not just yet. There is so much beautiful playing and singing on this record.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #1448 on: September 30, 2019, 07:00:40 AM »
This album actually from time to time sounds like old Swedish progg to me, which kinda was a leftist music movement in 70s. It really has nothing to do with progressive and ofc this album still mainly has it's base in the progressive rock of 70 and no political message (that I am aware of). But sometimes it feels like my youth in the way Mikael sings and the kinda "brown" filter on the music (not sure how to describe it), or maybe something with the compositions as well. Progg was a 70s movement so maybe he is a bit influenced by some of the bands?

It's an unusual melodic album from Opeth. Even if the whole thing is in Swedish can someone describe the story / concept in small detail? :D

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1449 on: September 30, 2019, 07:33:16 AM »
Interesting fact: The man who speaks in the intro to 'Dignity' is Olof Palme, then prime minister of Sweden - it's taken from his Christmas speech in 1969.

Rough translation:
"At a year’s end many will experience a feeling of melancholy, considering that which will never return. To others it is a moment of anticipation for the possibilities of conquering the new. Others yet will experience a concern facing a change that provides uncertainty and possible deterioration. All of these emotions are each in their own understandable. Someone said the other day that we reside in the great time of rupture…"
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1450 on: September 30, 2019, 08:01:27 AM »
Gee, that's weird. I ran it through my Google Translater and this is what it said.

"Don't listen to this album. It's going to suck. It's going to blow. In fact it sucks and blows. The band has petitioned my office for a band name change. They now want to be called EmOpeth. Avoid this album at all costs and just listen to Ghost Reveries."
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1451 on: September 30, 2019, 08:03:35 AM »
*sigh*
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1452 on: September 30, 2019, 08:05:26 AM »
Real talk this new album is better than most of their pre-Watershed stuff. I do not understand the love for those albums, now granted I don't like much growling vocal stuff, but a lot of the old stuff doesn't flow as well as the new stuff and there's that old joke about them repeating every riff a dozen times. IMO Mikael's creativity has flourished since Watershed. A thousand other bands do what Oldpeth did, but there's nobody really doing what Opeth's doing right now, even if it is reminiscent of a period from decades ago, it still sounds different and fresh to my ears. The old stuff ain't going anywhere.

Ghost Reveries, MYAH, Still Life, Deliverance? I sleep.

Pale Communion, Sorceress, In Cauda Venenum? Yeah buddy.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1453 on: September 30, 2019, 08:08:09 AM »
The first couple songs are OK, but then after that, what are we doing here? I don't get it at all. Hey, if people like it, more power to 'em. But honestly, this music sounds so pointless to my ears.

Sorry..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1454 on: September 30, 2019, 08:09:06 AM »
The first couple songs are OK, but then after that, what are we doing here? I don't get it at all. Hey, if people like it, more power to 'em. But honestly, this music sounds so pointless to my ears.

Sorry..

Yeah but don't you exclusively listen to 'heavy metal' and that's like, it? Of course you don't get it. Go listen to the old stuff then.  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1455 on: September 30, 2019, 08:12:15 AM »
I like Ghost Reveries for some reason, and that was before I liked harsh vocals. Since, I haven't had a chance to go back.

My other complaint was that I didn't like Ackerfeldt's clean voice, but interestingly enough, on this new album, his vocals are so much improved.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1456 on: September 30, 2019, 08:16:44 AM »
I like Ghost Reveries for some reason, and that was before I liked harsh vocals. Since, I haven't had a chance to go back.

My other complaint was that I didn't like Ackerfeldt's clean voice, but interestingly enough, on this new album, his vocals are so much improved.

You should check out Damnation, the older, clean record. His voice is lovely there.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1457 on: September 30, 2019, 08:34:27 AM »
I have one listen under my belt and my first thought is that I wished Sorceress sounded like this. This album sounds so much better sonically. Not sure that it will surpass Pale Communion for post-Watershed era favorite but I like it so far. I need some time with it to really adsorb it.

And, Firewings, you could not be more wrong. I generally love your opinions and have great respect for them, but your words on pre-Watershed Opeth is blasphemous! Blasphemy, I tell you! What I refer to as Phase II of Opeth is about as classic as anything I can think of. Couldn't resist taking a shot. We so rarely disagree.

Phase I is the first 2 records with the harmonized guitars. Phase II is My Arms -> Watershed. We're in Phase III now. Just how my brain separates them.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1458 on: September 30, 2019, 08:37:51 AM »
It's a dirty job but someone's gotta do it.  :lol I like (and agree with) the way you split them up into phases.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1459 on: September 30, 2019, 12:30:07 PM »
Real talk this new album is better than most of their pre-Watershed stuff. I do not understand the love for those albums, now granted I don't like much growling vocal stuff, but a lot of the old stuff doesn't flow as well as the new stuff and there's that old joke about them repeating every riff a dozen times. IMO Mikael's creativity has flourished since Watershed. A thousand other bands do what Oldpeth did, but there's nobody really doing what Opeth's doing right now, even if it is reminiscent of a period from decades ago, it still sounds different and fresh to my ears. The old stuff ain't going anywhere.

Ghost Reveries, MYAH, Still Life, Deliverance? I sleep.

Pale Communion, Sorceress, In Cauda Venenum? Yeah buddy.

See this is where I'm on the complete opposite of the spectrum. I think "Oldpeth" as you call them had a unique sound that no other band had and even bands that came close to filling some of the criteria failed to meet other parts of it. For example some other bands does the harsh/clean mix but might not be progressive (metalcore is a genre after all), there's some bands that fall in the "progressive metal" area that does both but you got bands like Dillinger Escape Plan that are more harsh vocals and short songs or a band like Between the Buried and Me that is much more towards the technical side and doesn't have the folk influence of the acoustic guitars like Opeth had. Or you have some other bands that go the folk route but don't do some other part of their sound. The classic Opeth sound for me was a beautiful mixture of harsh vocals, clean vocals, bone crushing heavy guitar riffs, beautiful acoustic passages and the balance was just so nice.

"Newpeth" does something I'm not a big fan of to begin with which is the 70s retro/old prog worship so even before I try to get into the music we're starting at a negative just because the band is doing something that I personally am not a huge fan of. 70s prog rock is cool but I'm not much for nostalgia worship, I feel like emulating what others have done before and more successful isn't the best route because I will usually just go for the originals then. And to me it's almost regressive in a way because Opeth used to be trailblazers of their own style but has in the last few years become more of a "homage" band. I don't dislike their new albums but I definitely feel something is missing. To me it's not as simple as the strawman argument people like to use that the naysayers of the new albums are just salty metalfans who are upset the band isn't growling anymore. To me like I said, their classic sound just had a great balance. Kinda like vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce. You could separate the two and they would still taste good on their own, but combining the two just makes for something really great. I feel like listening to the clean Opeth albums (even Damnation, which I still think is better than the last few albums) is kinda like eating vanilla ice cream but without the chocolate sauce. It's still good but it could be even better.

As for the songwriting itself I think the strength of the newer albums is the atmosphere/overall mood of the albums which is usually really nice. Again, don't care much for the murky 70s retro sound BUT I can overlook that. Still when I think about the best non-growl Opeth songs I feel the best ones are still in the past. A Fair Judgement, Face of Melinda, Credecence, Harvest, To Bid You Farewell, Windowpane & Isolation Years are all some of my favorite Opeth songs and personally I feel few of the newer songs come close to that level. Opeth not doing growls doesn't have to be bad, I just wish more songs moved me like those I listed. Finally, last part of this wall of text I just want to say that when it comes down to it, I much rather prefer Opeth doing whatever they are passionate about (even if its not what im super passionate about) because if they forced a heavy album just because the fans wanted it then that would be even more disappointing to me.

(also only heard the new album once so far, sounded good!)

:hat

Offline Pettor

« Reply #1460 on: September 30, 2019, 01:12:53 PM »
A thousand other bands do what Oldpeth did, but there's nobody really doing what Opeth's doing right now, even if it is reminiscent of a period from decades ago, it still sounds different and fresh to my ears. The old stuff ain't going anywhere.

Ghost Reveries, ... I sleep.

I am not a big Opeth fan but ... that's just denial  ;D

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1461 on: September 30, 2019, 01:19:22 PM »
Hey, a thousand other bands had growls. Opeth using them was just plain unoriginal. Cannibal Corpse knockoffs, amirite? :neverusethis:
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1462 on: September 30, 2019, 01:24:14 PM »
Katt we know growls cause you to have PTSD flashbacks of Vietnam but a lot of the rest of us like them

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1463 on: September 30, 2019, 03:15:03 PM »
That's a great post, Zantera, and although we don't see eye to eye on either era of Opeth, I totally understand what you're saying.  :metal

Cyril, I do like growls and screams when used in moderation. I like them when they're used effectively - in my top 50 albums thread, Watershed is my favorite Opeth record, because it's balanced so well and the growls sound great and are used effectively, it's not 60 minutes of constant growling every single time there's a vocal line. I also like plenty of other bands who use growls in their music, and still like some bands who use them regularly but it's very hit or miss, the texture and timbre of the singer's growling plays a huge role in whether I like them or not. I really like Amon Amarth's vocalist, and whoever's doing the screaming at the end of, say, Alestorm's "Death Throes of the Terrorsquid" is dope af.

I just think River is a far more pleasant music listening experience than Serenity Painted Death or Demon of the Fall these days. 10 years ago, would've thought differently.  :lol

Also I remember seeing/hearing Barren Earth for the first time in 2011 and thinking, "Wow, this is Opeth 2.0" so definitely go listen to them if you haven't and want more Oldpeth  :lol

Offline mike099

« Reply #1464 on: September 30, 2019, 05:34:44 PM »
Kattelox, try the rivers of Nihil cd 'where owls know my name' and let me know what you think. :metal

Offline Volante99

« Reply #1465 on: September 30, 2019, 09:12:50 PM »
Welp, I had high hopes for this one based on the first two released songs but the rest is just kind of watered down, mellotron soaked retro junk they’ve been doing for awhile now. Also at 67 minutes it’s way waaaaay too long. It just didn’t keep my attention unfortunately. I’m going to attempt to give it a few more listens to see if something clicks.

Unpopular opinion; Heritage is still their best “Newpeth” album. It’s super dark, weird, unique, atmospheric and in my opinion an underrated/misunderstood masterpiece.

But I also don’t really like Watershed so, what do I know?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 09:34:34 PM by Volante99 »

Offline Volante99

« Reply #1466 on: September 30, 2019, 09:29:15 PM »

Glad someone said it. Agreed. My Arms Your Hearse is criminally underrated here and amongst Opeth fans in general. April Ethereal, When, Demon of the Fall...all classic Opeth. Otherworldly growling, crushingly heavy guitar riffs, mixed with beautifully melodic guitars and clean singing, everything Opeth -used to be- about. I know a lot of people here don’t like growls but MAYH is the got damn “Dark Side of the Moon” of Scandinavian death metal.

Offline mike099

« Reply #1467 on: October 01, 2019, 03:29:24 AM »
Yes MAYH I had that atmosphere and some great songs.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1468 on: October 01, 2019, 03:43:36 AM »
Oh hey, I only just realised I haven't posted in this thread yet. Let's fix that:

my ranking:
#1. Morningrise
#2. Blackwater Park
#3. Orchid
#4. Watershed
#5. My Arms Your Hearse
#6. Still Life
#7. Pale Communion
#8. Ghost Reveries
#9. Damnation
10. Sorceress
11. In Cauda Venenum
12. Deliverance
13. Heritage
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Art

« Reply #1469 on: October 01, 2019, 05:44:26 AM »
Regarding the new album, i've listened to it just 3 or 4 times, but i really like what i hear. Early favorites are The Garroter and Continuum, but the whole record flows nicely.