Poll

What are your three favorite Opeth records?

Orchid
7 (1.1%)
Morningrise
15 (2.3%)
My Arms, Your Hearse
26 (4%)
Still Life
81 (12.3%)
Blackwater Park
161 (24.5%)
Deliverance
43 (6.5%)
Damnation
53 (8.1%)
Ghost Reveries
152 (23.1%)
Watershed
66 (10%)
Heritage
21 (3.2%)
Pale Communion
32 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 224

Voting closed: June 13, 2020, 08:32:34 AM

Author Topic: The official Opeth thread v. In Cauda Venenum  (Read 180806 times)

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: The official Opeth thread v. Sorceress
« Reply #1050 on: October 09, 2016, 06:59:06 AM »
Yep, no problems with the bass at all for me. To be honest I like it when I can hear the bass in music. My ear naturally picks out guitar and drums and a lot of the time I can't really make out the bass on many albums without consciously trying.

It doesn't effect my enjoyment of the album one bit.

?, I agree with you about Mikael's growls sounding off on the live version of Drapery. I wasn't sure if he was having an off day. I mean the last time I saw Opeth live was like '08 I think so his growls were still awesome at that point. Is this how his live growls pretty much always sound now?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1051 on: October 09, 2016, 07:38:10 AM »
I think Mikael (wisely) has turned down his growls live. I think he knows that you don't last long as a singer when growling full thrust every show.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1052 on: October 09, 2016, 08:42:09 AM »
The new album is starting to grow on me...

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1053 on: October 09, 2016, 11:31:02 AM »
I think Mikael (wisely) has turned down his growls live. I think he knows that you don't last long as a singer when growling full thrust every show.

If you do it properly (in the physical sense), it's totally painless. Doesn't stop the degradation as you age, obviously, but the only way he "wouldn't last long" is if he didn't use proper technique at some point. This is possible, of course, though you'd figure both his singing voice and growl would both have degraded if he'd been doing it poorly for this long.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1054 on: October 09, 2016, 12:44:10 PM »
I disagree.   I does major damage over the years. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1055 on: October 09, 2016, 12:56:30 PM »
You does!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline JRuless

« Reply #1056 on: October 09, 2016, 01:04:56 PM »
great style. heritage meets damnation 
needs time to sink in.

dislike the muddy, bassy sound, maybe the wanted this approach to get a 70ish vibe..

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1057 on: October 09, 2016, 01:06:42 PM »
You does!

Yuze shutz ups.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1058 on: October 09, 2016, 01:07:21 PM »
I recall a gig a few years ago where Mikael was sick and they altered the setlist slightly to include more growling material because it was easier on his voice (softer, doesn't use as much range). Could be completely making that up though.

Album is growing on me too. I enjoy a lot of the music but it seems like a missed opportunity at times. Could've been one of Opeth's more dynamic albums.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1059 on: October 09, 2016, 01:33:20 PM »
I'm one listen in and I think this album could be as good as Pale Communion (which was nothing short of stellar in my book). This record will probably end up in my Top 5 of 2016.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1060 on: October 09, 2016, 04:07:20 PM »
Has anyone seen what merch is Opeth bringing during this US tour?

Wanted to see if they are bringing their record label shirt on their European website.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1061 on: October 09, 2016, 04:13:14 PM »
You does!

He has a mucus issue Tim.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1062 on: October 09, 2016, 05:11:43 PM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1063 on: October 09, 2016, 05:34:24 PM »
 :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1064 on: October 09, 2016, 05:56:53 PM »

BTW Tim, do you listen to Opeth?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1065 on: October 09, 2016, 06:05:48 PM »
Not at all. I can make it through Ghost Reveries. Love the last track, especially that outro.

But I do not do growls, and I think Akerfeldt's clean voice is kind of lame. But they are an amazing band that I wish I did, in fact, like.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1066 on: October 10, 2016, 01:23:41 AM »
But I do not do growls

You don't have to do them yourself to like this kind of music  ;D
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1067 on: October 10, 2016, 01:48:58 AM »
?, I agree with you about Mikael's growls sounding off on the live version of Drapery. I wasn't sure if he was having an off day. I mean the last time I saw Opeth live was like '08 I think so his growls were still awesome at that point. Is this how his live growls pretty much always sound now?
Mikael's growls started to decline on Watershed, where you can first hear his grunts get closer to shouting or speaking in a gruff voice, which is what his growling basically sounds like these days. He was probably at his worst on the Royal Albert Hall DVD - around the time Heritage came out he said he altered his growling technique when they started using in-ear monitors (during the Prog Nation 2009 tour), but they (or at least he) gave them up in 2011.

He's been a little better since then, but not nearly as good as before 2009, and he's become wildly inconsistent: Wacken 2015 was an off day, but he sounds alright here. Mikael has done well every time I've seen them and the YT videos of the shows I've seen have sounded good too, but apparently he's not at his best at open air shows (which Plovdiv was).

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1068 on: October 10, 2016, 04:00:54 AM »
I'm enjoying this more with each listen. It could be my favourite of their last three albums.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1069 on: October 10, 2016, 04:39:50 AM »
I'm enjoying this more with each listen. It could be my favourite of their last three albums.

I'd definitely agree about it being my favourite of their last 3 releases. I'd rank:

1. Sorceress
2. Pale Communion
3. Heritage

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official Opeth thread v. Pale Communion
« Reply #1070 on: October 10, 2016, 05:17:22 AM »
I'm listening to this album now, and I don't want to be negative but I'm just not digging the style the guys have found themselves in.  Heritage IMO was alright, but Pale Communion did nothing and this one is the same.  I'm happy for them that they are evolving and that people can appreciate, but I think Opeth are not for me anymore.  A shame because the older albums are so fucking brilliant and special but IMO they've lost a lot of their magic and charm now.  Maybe one day my opinion will change and I will give this album a few chances.  At the moment it will be the first Opeth album I won't buy.
Which means you didn't listen to the whole album, but you already have a review of it. Try listening to it a few more times and maybe you will change your mind. You cannot make a decision based on half a listen or one listen.

I also prefer the old Opeth and it took me a long time to get into Pale Communion because I didn't want to accept their change of style and I immediately disregarded anything that didn't sound like old Opeth. It is pretty hard to appreciate their new direction if you don't accept that they changed and that's it.

I definetily enjoyed the new album. I don't think it is fantastic or that it compares to old Opeth, but it is very good.

Perhaps you should read my comment a bit more closely.  I stated that I will give the album multiple chances and I hope one day my opinion will change.  I've listened to the whole album and my opinion at the moment is the same.  No problem with change either it's just obviuosly not for me right now.  I do want this album to grow, and I have never written off a band just because I don't agree with the direction they have taken.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1071 on: October 10, 2016, 06:31:11 AM »
Plus Wolfie has been on record with his takes on the last 2 albums not liking the direction.  You need to know people better here ChuckSteak.  Wolfie loves the earlier Opeth.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1072 on: October 10, 2016, 07:10:49 AM »
Random comment, there's some serious Ian Anderson in that album in places.

Will O the Wisp!  Especially this line, "You're stuck to the failures of your life."
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1073 on: October 10, 2016, 08:38:11 AM »
I love this album. I think it's fantastic. Great lyrics on this one. 'When you're tired of waiting, when you you're tired of hating me.'
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1074 on: October 10, 2016, 09:05:48 AM »
Excellent show last night in Chicago! Got to meet Akerfeldt, Axe and the bassist from The Sword (they gained a new fan!) Sound was awesome throughout, although I also noticed his growls were very quiet. Other than that, solid show!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1075 on: October 10, 2016, 02:45:04 PM »
I think the Wilde Flowers is my favorite track of the album. Lots of great moments in the track, but favorite part is the heavy ending.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1076 on: October 10, 2016, 04:38:16 PM »
At the risk of getting booed out of here.

This has begun popping into my head lately when the song "Sorceress" gets to the lyric, "You're a murderer."

"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1077 on: October 10, 2016, 10:08:14 PM »

This has begun popping into my head lately when the song "Sorceress" gets to the lyric, "You're a murderer."

Precious must destroy.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1078 on: October 11, 2016, 04:46:32 AM »

"Attack me from behind" makes me think of "surprise butt secks" :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1079 on: October 11, 2016, 05:38:34 AM »
Plus Wolfie has been on record with his takes on the last 2 albums not liking the direction.  You need to know people better here ChuckSteak.  Wolfie loves the earlier Opeth.

Thanks heaps king!  :tup

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1080 on: October 11, 2016, 08:05:47 AM »
Oh, another thing.

For me, the lead guitar work on the entire album is fantastic...inspired? First of all, I think they captured wonderful tones for the lead sound, so congrats to them and the engineer. But more than that, the lead breaks always seem appropriate, add to the drama, and are quite melodic yet still throw enough technical surprises at you to give them some  :omg:

The last break in "A Fleeting Glance" sounds just like something JP would assemble (sans the blinding fast picking he usually adds at the end).

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1081 on: October 11, 2016, 08:22:44 AM »
Anyone caught the several lyrical 'conceptual continuity' (C) FZ) yet? As in last line being the same as the first line of the next song? MAYH deja vous.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #1082 on: October 11, 2016, 09:01:17 AM »
Anyone caught the several lyrical 'conceptual continuity' (C) FZ) yet? As in last line being the same as the first line of the next song? MAYH deja vous.

I caught the "tired of waiting" from Wilde Flowers --> Will O Wisp, but that's it. What else are you seeing?

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1083 on: October 12, 2016, 03:14:52 PM »
Heritage is always going to hold a special spot for me because of it's immense atmosphere and direct link to the gorgeous Storm Corrosion. But I definitely like Sorceress more than PC. Granted, that isn't saying all that much because while I don't dislike PC, it's just kind of "there" for me. I don't listen to it much, I don't get dem feels, it's just...an album. I do get some feelsy feels with certain moments in certain songs on Sorceress but honestly I prefer the more atmospheric and ambient side to the "new Opeth". That said, there are some great moments like that on Sorceress, and therein lies my cautious love for it.

Among the rebirth trio, Heritage still reigns supreme in my eyes though.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1084 on: October 12, 2016, 07:11:30 PM »

For me, the lead guitar work on the entire album is fantastic...inspired? First of all, I think they captured wonderful tones for the lead sound, so congrats to them and the engineer. But more than that, the lead breaks always seem appropriate, add to the drama, and are quite melodic yet still throw enough technical surprises at you to give them some  :omg:

The last break in "A Fleeting Glance" sounds just like something JP would assemble (sans the blinding fast picking he usually adds at the end).

I agree with everything here. :tup :tup

Really liking this album more and more.