Poll

What are your three favorite Opeth records?

Orchid
7 (1.1%)
Morningrise
15 (2.3%)
My Arms, Your Hearse
26 (4%)
Still Life
81 (12.3%)
Blackwater Park
161 (24.5%)
Deliverance
43 (6.5%)
Damnation
53 (8.1%)
Ghost Reveries
152 (23.1%)
Watershed
66 (10%)
Heritage
21 (3.2%)
Pale Communion
32 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 224

Voting closed: June 13, 2020, 08:32:34 AM

Author Topic: The official Opeth thread v. In Cauda Venenum  (Read 181035 times)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official Opeth thread v. Pale Communion
« Reply #980 on: September 30, 2016, 01:14:39 PM »
I'm really digging Era.

I like it too, but I think I may have a defective copy. It stops suddenly  ???
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline faizoff

« Reply #981 on: September 30, 2016, 01:33:23 PM »
Era is a great closer track for the album and it looks like it's meant to end abruptly followed by the coda piece. I think this album is an amazing listen start to finish. Only track I'm not that into is A Fleeting Glance. Other than that all tracks are rocking.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #982 on: September 30, 2016, 04:46:07 PM »
I will probably pick this up this weekend.

To those of you saying the production isn't great, are you listening to the actual release, or the stream or a leak? 

Offline Cable

« Reply #983 on: September 30, 2016, 06:24:20 PM »
I do not understand complaints with production. While it still goes a bit for the vintage feel, it sounds more modern to me. Which was one of my contentions with the past two albums. This is still much better sounding than Orchid and Morningrise too IMO for that matter. The first two albums sound like they were recorded with a 5 watt practice amp and a Boss Metal Zone.
---

Offline faizoff

« Reply #984 on: September 30, 2016, 09:12:45 PM »
To those of you saying the production isn't great, are you listening to the actual release, or the stream or a leak? 
Previous listens were on Google Play so quality was not bad but mix sounded pretty good. Picked up the CD just now so will listen to that rip and report back, I for one won't be surprised if it knocks it out of the park again. Pity the 5.1 mix is only found with the boxset.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline efx

« Reply #985 on: October 01, 2016, 02:13:12 AM »
I listened to the actual CD on a system that I know. I get the sound they are going for but I think the execution of it is lacking and it ends up in parts hurting the music. Take songs like Era that are uptempo and on the heavier side, the bass frequencies overpower everything including even the vocals which makes it very hard to for me to listen to. On the mellower tracks this doesn't become an issue at all but on the heavy stuff it makes it hard for me to listen to it.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #986 on: October 01, 2016, 09:51:29 AM »
I still don't even really know how I feel about the album as a whole, but The Wilde Flowers immediately stood out to me and is my favorite track so far. I'm going to see them at Radio City Music Hall tonight, so I am beyond excited right now  :metal

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #987 on: October 01, 2016, 11:34:04 AM »
Hm. It's definitely got an interesting sound, speaking production wise. I don't dislike it but even while listening on my PC speakers, the bass is definitely at the forefront and the album just sounds very "deep", at times the great vocals get drowned out and muffled. In my car it's a bit less noticeable because of the environment and great set up but then is exasperated by the bigger bass speakers so... yeah, I'm not sure how I feel about it. Musically though I think it's fantastic! Nothing major to say other than that as Opeth albums usually take me even longer than usual to soak in. Loving Wilde/Sorceress2/Era.

I think it's the first time though that I've had any comments other than compliments about the production on an Opeth album. It's not like it's hindering the listening but the fact I thought about it at all is of note.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #988 on: October 01, 2016, 11:43:29 AM »
It's bassy, sure. But on my setup (headphones and PC speakers), I haven't found it offputting in any way.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #989 on: October 01, 2016, 03:08:50 PM »
Just finished my first listen.

Production is pretty muddy, but it is what it is!

Strange Brew :hefdaddy

The Wilde Flowers is awesome and so is Chrysalis and Era

Offline tyranor

« Reply #990 on: October 01, 2016, 08:10:04 PM »
Hello everyone,

Was reading the forum for ages and now decided to participate.

I got to know Opeth when they released "Heritage". And I didn't like it much. But then they released "Pale Communion" and I really really enjoyed it. "Voice of Treason" is a fantastic song for example. I can also say that I'm not emotionally attached to their earlier albums, some of them I didn't even listen yet. And I don't care about growls and DM elements even though I'm listening to any types of Metal for about 20 years.

I do like their current direction and I do like "Sorceress". Production is too dark for my taste and low end is very strong but it somehow suits the music. And the flaw of the album is great. From start to the finish. "Era" is a fantastic song. Same goes to "Strange Brew". But all of them are great.

I like what they do now and I hope they will continue to write music in the same style. It's heavy, progressive and melodic at the same time.

They are coming to NZ in February next year and I hope I'll get to chance to see them live, should be amazing.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #991 on: October 01, 2016, 10:43:49 PM »
Just attended the show at Radio City Music Hall. F*cking epic.  :metal
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #992 on: October 03, 2016, 06:50:44 AM »
Never thought Opeth would drop out of my top 10 favorite bands. I'm not sure what to think of the new album yet but I like half and hate half right now.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #993 on: October 03, 2016, 07:37:43 AM »
I think the new album is amazing.  :metal Right now, it's my favorite of the current era of Opeth. (Heritage - Pale Communion - Sorceress.)
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #994 on: October 03, 2016, 08:06:49 AM »
Huh, not really understanding the critique on the mix here, to me it sounds better than PC, because in PC the bass was a bit overdone (a bit too "punchy", if that makes any sense) for my tastes and I feel the vocals have a better presence in the mix here (especially the vocal harmonies), they are a tad more to the front in general, which I prefer. Sorceress sounds a bit more lively and "sharp" to me than PC.

Anyways, I love this album, including the bonus tracks. While Opeth is one of these band where I love some songs but not many of their albums as a whole, this one knocks it out of the park. There is a certain catchyness to the songs that the last two albums lacked and the album paces incredibly well, with the songs taking many different directions musically. Wilde Flowers, Era, Spring MCMLXXIV, and Strange Brew are probably my favourites.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #995 on: October 03, 2016, 08:17:10 AM »
Half way through my third listen and I have no complaints about the production. Out of the 13 tracks (including the bonus tracks) I've narrowed it down to 7 keepers for sure and a couple are on the fence.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #996 on: October 03, 2016, 08:26:16 AM »
Just attended the show at Radio City Music Hall. F*cking epic.  :metal

I was there too, it was an excellent show and the set list was awesome. I still can't believe they played By The Pain I See In Others  :metal

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #997 on: October 03, 2016, 09:32:23 AM »
Just finished my third listen. I'll say this gets better with each listen and I like Sourcess over their last two release by a lot.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #998 on: October 03, 2016, 11:32:30 AM »
I really like the RCMH set list. Especially the inclusion of By the pain, criminally underrated song.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #999 on: October 03, 2016, 11:41:22 AM »

Saw Opeth yesterday in the shadow of the Green Monstah. Incredible show, got a perfect seat with squishy cushions.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1000 on: October 04, 2016, 05:57:29 AM »
On first listen (whilst en route to see Ne Obliviscaris and Oceans of Slumber tonight  :metal)

Sounds good so far, enjoying it. The guitar solos are really good so far, definitely a standout on first listen. Some nice heavy moments as well. Think I'm going to grow to like this.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1001 on: October 04, 2016, 06:29:39 AM »
Oceans of Slumber are a great band.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1002 on: October 04, 2016, 06:42:00 AM »
https://rollingstoneindia.com/opeth-mikael-akerfeldt-sorceress-interview/

A few new pieces of information:
-a video has been filmed for Era
-Mikael wouldn't have sex with Steven Wilson

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1003 on: October 04, 2016, 06:50:18 AM »
While I would still put this above Heritage, I would still consider it a disappointment even though my expectations weren't that high. But I guess it's also a matter of timing, because even though I'd give this a 6.5 or weak 7 /10, it comes out in the midst of Oathbreaker, Alcest, Nick Cave, Neurosis and a bunch of other really strong albums, and in comparison Sorceress isn't that good unfortunately.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1004 on: October 04, 2016, 09:46:10 AM »
Hello everyone,

Was reading the forum for ages and now decided to participate.

I got to know Opeth when they released "Heritage". And I didn't like it much. But then they released "Pale Communion" and I really really enjoyed it. "Voice of Treason" is a fantastic song for example. I can also say that I'm not emotionally attached to their earlier albums, some of them I didn't even listen yet. And I don't care about growls and DM elements even though I'm listening to any types of Metal for about 20 years.

I do like their current direction and I do like "Sorceress". Production is too dark for my taste and low end is very strong but it somehow suits the music. And the flaw of the album is great. From start to the finish. "Era" is a fantastic song. Same goes to "Strange Brew". But all of them are great.

I like what they do now and I hope they will continue to write music in the same style. It's heavy, progressive and melodic at the same time.

They are coming to NZ in February next year and I hope I'll get to chance to see them live, should be amazing.

Welcome! While you said you're not fond of the older stuff, have you at least listened to the essentials like Still Life, Blackwater Park and Ghost Reveries?

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1005 on: October 05, 2016, 03:53:24 AM »
The intro (Persephone) gives me a serious Stairway To Heaven vibe.

As of now the record is better than Heritage by far but hasn't reached Pale Communion. Maybe it will change with more listens, it's not bad but and it has grown on me in the last few days. I enjoy the more mellow tunes better than the rockin' ones. The sound on some tunes has too much bottom end, so yeah, the production is a bit of a problem.

My main gripe as of now: the rhythm guitars, especially when they are rocking, have no crunsh, no punch, no gut. They sound muddy and cheap.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline krands85

« Reply #1006 on: October 05, 2016, 04:42:43 AM »
Still digesting this, but even at this stage I prefer it to the last 2 albums. Chrysalis is awesome  :metal :coolio
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1007 on: October 05, 2016, 06:36:33 AM »
most disappointing album of the year so far, even though I didn't really expect much of it
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1008 on: October 05, 2016, 08:10:46 AM »
Most surprising album so far, though Metallica may take that award. Easily their best album since Ghost Reveries and it may crack my top 10 albums of the year.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1009 on: October 05, 2016, 08:16:50 AM »
It's interesting how divided people are on this album. I'd say even more so than Heritage or PC.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #1010 on: October 05, 2016, 08:46:02 AM »
Most surprising album so far, though Metallica may take that award. Easily their best album since Ghost Reveries and it may crack my top 10 albums of the year.

4 posts ago, you practically hated it!   :biggrin:
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1011 on: October 05, 2016, 10:40:26 AM »
I'm not disappointed, mostly because I never expected anything from this album in the first place. I might put it above Heritage, but below Pale Communion. It's sad that Opeth 2.0 bores me the way they do, but eh, the vinyl looks good on my shelf, so I'm not really hurting over it.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1012 on: October 05, 2016, 10:52:33 AM »
I'm enjoying it...Strange Brew is an amazing jam.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1013 on: October 05, 2016, 11:47:51 AM »

4 posts ago, you practically hated it!   :biggrin:

Lol, I should learn not post things after one listen. To be fair i deleted the songs I didn't like and the remaining 9 songs make for a much better listening experience..

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1014 on: October 05, 2016, 11:53:31 AM »
I'm slightly indifferent towards the album at the moment. Some of it is fantastic, Chrysalis and The Wilde flowers are amazing songs. The title track also seems to be growing on me. The rest of the album strikes me as slightly unimaginative. Some of it is very predictable and melodically ordinary. It might be a grower, who knows.