Poll

What are your three favorite Opeth records?

Orchid
7 (1.1%)
Morningrise
15 (2.3%)
My Arms, Your Hearse
26 (4%)
Still Life
81 (12.3%)
Blackwater Park
161 (24.5%)
Deliverance
43 (6.5%)
Damnation
53 (8.1%)
Ghost Reveries
152 (23.1%)
Watershed
66 (10%)
Heritage
21 (3.2%)
Pale Communion
32 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 224

Voting closed: June 13, 2020, 08:32:34 AM

Author Topic: The official Opeth thread v. In Cauda Venenum  (Read 180937 times)

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: The official Opeth thread v. Pale Communion
« Reply #420 on: October 06, 2014, 09:35:36 AM »
If you're at a ridiculously loud live show, you probably won't even notice.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #421 on: October 06, 2014, 09:39:31 AM »
Yeah, I recall watching a couple of videos from a pro-shot Opeth gig recently and the growls weren't half as powerful as they used to be.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #422 on: October 06, 2014, 10:02:52 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if he decided to tone down the growls in favor of a lasting career.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #423 on: October 06, 2014, 12:07:34 PM »
I wonder if that song from 1996 Mikael was referring to is Black Rose Immortal...  :lol

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #424 on: October 06, 2014, 12:14:36 PM »
I remember they talked about playing it live a few years ago, and holy balls would it be awesome. It's not even up there among my favorite Opeth tracks, but it would really be one of those crazy memories. "Do you remember when they played Black Rose Immortal live?" and it was only for like one tour.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #425 on: October 06, 2014, 12:32:28 PM »
BRI almost got played on the 20th anniversary tour: https://opethfanclub.se/?p=263
FC:  Many fans wanted “Black Rose immortal”…how close was it?

M: Close. I listened to the song a couple of times and just felt there were too many loose ends, too many parts I didn’t really like anymore, and it would have felt awkward playing something like that. It had been decided we’re going to play that song actually, but with the above reasons plus the fact that I don’t think a lot of people would have recognized it, or even liked it if we’d played it. We changed our minds. I think it’s a little bit of a gimmick that song. It’s “popular” because it’s our longest track, not because it’s all that great. But, I never say never. I think this line up had a tendency to breathe new life into old shit like that. We’ve done it on several occasions, so maybe it would work for this piece as well. However, “Advent” represented the “Morningrise” record better, and we all loved playing it.
Judging by Mikael's comment, I wouldn't hold my breath. :P On top of that, it would eat up 20 minutes of the set and leave less room for songs from other albums.

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #426 on: October 06, 2014, 12:36:49 PM »
I hope they don't. I know many people here love that song, but personally, it's pretty much my textbook definition of how NOT to write a 20+ minute epic.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #427 on: October 06, 2014, 02:20:22 PM »
I hope they don't. I know many people here love that song, but personally, it's pretty much my textbook definition of how NOT to write a 20+ minute epic.
I like it, but it feels so disjointed to me... I'd love to hear any other song from Morningrise though.

Offline krands85

« Reply #428 on: October 06, 2014, 02:23:32 PM »
As for the 5 new songs, my guesses are:

Eternal Rains (the opener)
Cusp (the single)
Voice of Treason (a video with some visuals was released on Opeth's official YT channel recently)
Moon Above... (same as VOT, plus it's the epic of the album)
Faith in Others (a lot of people have named this their favorite song from the album and it would work well as the set closer before the encore)
Seems like a fairly good bet and I'd be pleased with that - those are my 5 favourites from the album  :coolio

As for Black Rose Immortal - I'd love it if they pulled that one out, but it doesn't seem very likely.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #429 on: October 06, 2014, 05:06:12 PM »
Ooh, a ''funny'' song from 1996? Sounds like Nectar to me. They've done Advent and TNATSW a few years ago if I'm not mistaken, Black rose immortal is way too long to be resurrected and To bid you farewell isn't ''older heavier material''.

It's gonna be a good show.  :metal
Yeah, it's gotta be Nectar. As for the 5 new songs, my guesses are:

Eternal Rains (the opener)
Cusp (the single)
Voice of Treason (a video with some visuals was released on Opeth's official YT channel recently)
Moon Above... (same as VOT, plus it's the epic of the album)
Faith in Others (a lot of people have named this their favorite song from the album and it would work well as the set closer before the encore)

I can agree with that. But part of me wants to bet that they'll play Goblin, mainly because it sounds like a 'fun' song to play and it also gives Mikael's voice a rest for a few minutes.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #430 on: October 06, 2014, 05:24:18 PM »
To be honest, I don't really like Black Rose Immortal as much as some of you here. As someone pointed out earlier, Nectar is probably the song in question but I'd love to hear To Bid You Farewell also even though it's been played live before. Any tracks from Orchid through Still Life that have rarely or never been played live would be awesome in the set list.

One of my "guilty pleasure" Opeth songs for lack of a better term is Epilogue. Call me strange, but I love it more than Ending Credits and always wondered how it would sound like live.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #431 on: October 06, 2014, 06:48:47 PM »
I'd bet it would be kinda iffy. They've really butchered some atmospheric songs in recent years through over-zealous keyboard improvisation (Patterns in the Ivy being the worst offender) yet we occasionally get good stuff like the version of The Night and the Silent Water from The Roundhouse Tapes.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Mladen

« Reply #432 on: October 07, 2014, 06:46:23 AM »
I can agree with that. But part of me wants to bet that they'll play Goblin, mainly because it sounds like a 'fun' song to play and it also gives Mikael's voice a rest for a few minutes.
I would take Goblin over Voice of treason or Faith in others any day.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #433 on: October 07, 2014, 06:49:21 AM »
I would be disappointed if they didn't play Faith in Others, IMO the best song by far on the album. Moon Above, Sun Below would also be really nice. Eternal Rains and Cusp feels like the two "sure bets", one being the first track and the other being the single. I could see them play Goblin, if I had to guess I would say maybe they would drop Voice of Treason? It's a very string-heavy song on the album, and maybe they'll save it for something special.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #434 on: October 10, 2014, 04:16:56 PM »
So the first setlist of their tour is in, and a few surprises. I'll just leave the link so I don't spoil it for anyone who doesn't want to read it, so click at your own choice: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/opeth/2014/o2-academy-bristol-bristol-england-33cca43d.html

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #435 on: October 10, 2014, 04:29:22 PM »
That's pretty awesome.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #436 on: October 10, 2014, 04:46:56 PM »
Great setlist, I'm just surprised at their selection of PC tunes.

Offline adace

« Reply #437 on: October 10, 2014, 05:05:01 PM »
Awesome setlist.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #438 on: October 10, 2014, 05:08:29 PM »
Awesome setlist, I hope the setlist will remain the same for the US Tour.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #439 on: October 11, 2014, 02:48:00 AM »
I'll post my thoughts in small text:

Ok, only the 2 obvious ones of my 5 bets for the PC songs were correct! I'm surprised they're playing so few new songs, but Mikael said they've rehearsed 5 new songs, which makes me believe there'll be some rotation. He also said they ended up with a list of 30 songs they'd like to play, so maybe they'll rotate some old songs as well (not all the 30 ones, though!).

I was expecting more songs they hadn't played in a long time (like Nectar), but this set is pretty similar to the one for the anniversary tour. I'm not complaining though, 'cause I'll see Opeth live for the first time in November and the selection of songs is great!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #440 on: October 11, 2014, 03:13:32 AM »
Holy shit, many of my favorite Opeth songs are in here! October 30th can't come fast enough.  :metal

Offline DerekTheater

« Reply #441 on: October 11, 2014, 06:43:26 AM »
Ghost Reveries, Damnation, Blackwater Park are my top 3.

The new album is pretty good, and I look forward to seeing them for the 6th time in a couple of months.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #442 on: October 11, 2014, 09:22:12 AM »
I'm liking that setlist very much. Definitely looking forward to the 7th of November in Amsterdam!

Last time for me was Progressive Nation in 2007/8 I believe, in Ahoy (Rotterdam). DT was touring Black Clouds, Opeth had just released Watershed. Both bands were great that night.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #443 on: October 11, 2014, 12:02:17 PM »
That is an amazing setlist.  :hefdaddy Beyond the two expected songs from PC, they are playing my favorite from the record. Then, some great choices from most of their other albums. Unfortunately, none of their planned dates are anywhere near me, and there is no way I will be able to travel across several states on a school night. If some of these dates had been a week (or even a few days) later, I would be able to go. :censored

edit: on second thought, I may be able to go to the PA, NY, or MA show. I completely forgot about exam exemptions :lol Its sure to be a great show
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #444 on: October 13, 2014, 03:18:33 AM »
Seems like Mikael have been working with his growls! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIXKkn2jwkU (Setlist-spoiler in video!)
Still not perfect, but he sounded way better here than the live videos from the festival tour this summer.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 03:05:18 AM by aurorablind »

Offline Onno

« Reply #445 on: October 14, 2014, 01:42:08 AM »
Damn, thanks for the setlist spoiler :(  :lol I should probably try to avoid this thread I guess, since I don't want any spoilers.

But Mikael's growls do sound very good there! Before, he mostly did low growls; now, there are more dynamics.

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #446 on: October 14, 2014, 03:05:38 AM »
Damn, thanks for the setlist spoiler :(  :lol I should probably try to avoid this thread I guess, since I don't want any spoilers.

But Mikael's growls do sound very good there! Before, he mostly did low growls; now, there are more dynamics.

Oh crap! Im so sorry. Fixed!

Offline Onno

« Reply #447 on: October 14, 2014, 03:55:31 AM »
Ah well, one song is not too bad. I'll just make sure not to get any other spoilers, I have much more fun when I don't know the setlist in advance (at least for most bands).

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #448 on: October 14, 2014, 06:21:21 AM »
Ah well, one song is not too bad. I'll just make sure not to get any other spoilers, I have much more fun when I don't know the setlist in advance (at least for most bands).
Surely the fact that he prefaced the link by saying that Mikael's growls are sounding decent on this tour should have been the giveaway that it was going to be a video of a song FROM THIS TOUR. You could have just not clicked the link. ;)

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Onno

« Reply #449 on: October 14, 2014, 01:24:45 PM »
Of course I would have, but it's edited. Before aurorablind edited the post it said what song it was in the post.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #450 on: October 14, 2014, 02:38:21 PM »
Of course I would have, but it's edited. Before aurorablind edited the post it said what song it was in the post.
Aha, ignore my comment then. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline krands85

« Reply #451 on: October 14, 2014, 06:46:42 PM »
Great show tonight in Glasgow  :D The place was packed from quite early on, so Alcest got a great audience too. Unfortunately, the sound for their set was pretty crappy  :'( Thankfully Opeth sounded much better  :metal
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #452 on: October 17, 2014, 10:43:02 AM »
I got my replacement PC bu-ray disc yesterday, totally forgot about it coming, so a very pleasant surprise.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #453 on: October 31, 2014, 07:50:53 AM »
Tremendous show last night. Amazing performance and I have to say that the new songs sound surprisingly heavy live.  :metal

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #454 on: October 31, 2014, 08:12:44 AM »
The band's performance was perfect, but the technical audio issues were very irritating. There was a deafening feedback throughout most of the show. I had to use earplugs at times because my left ear started to hurt.